Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Dawgstar posted:

Phelous starts his look at the Saban Ninja Turtles. It promises to be quite a ride. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsC3axd4A7w

I remember this show and Jesus, I blocked out most of this garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiDZbKfTOUg

Armchair Auteur is back with the only Oscars guide you need.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

macabresca posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnVwcUhxt1k

You want a long version or a short version?

jesus. what a loving cluster gently caress of lore. stuff like this is why i was never able to get into anime game/shows outside DBZ/yakuza/mgs/yoko taro. its always some impenertable briar patch for beginners with game names that are way way too long and sound like books written by cultists.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

but you see he is to be forgiven because

Look he just went a little vegetaloco

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, it's not surprising. I think that in the time that I've been a subscriber, their DBZA videos have been taken down... three, four times? It's a lot, and I can't imagine how stressful that is.

I have heard a rumor that Christopher Sabat has tried to get the TFS guys work at Funimation, but Toei got wind of it and put a stop to it. I don't know how true that is, but it wouldn't shock me if it was, considering Scott's words here:

It also wouldn't shock me if DBZA has prevented sponsorship deals on their channels as well. I suspect their FourStar Bento channel was intended to catch the attention of the likes of Crunchy Roll and others, but when that didn't happen, it wasn't worth the time sink to keep going.

Yeah, Funimation even got them to do the voices of the main cast for the "Mr. Satan makes a movie of The Cell Games that depicts him as the hero" (complete with lots of joke-references like "His coolness is over 9000!")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-HiOzcjJg

It apparently did not make it to the broadcast version for... reasons. Probably of the "Toei says they don't want these knuckleheads near the official version, even if we at Funimation personally like them" variety

EndOfTheWorld fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 7, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You don't gotta worry about any of that poo poo though....You don't sell someone on DBZ or w/e by getting extremely in depth on weird stuff that happens 200 episodes in or w/e or explaining all the lore.

I dunno about that tho. I've heard four facts about Fate and from that random box I dug around in and pulled a random event from, the series sounds like Kingdom Hearts and I already can't tell any characters apart in there aside from Cloud and Simba so I don't think I'll ever have any chance of understanding this story.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus. what a loving cluster gently caress of lore. stuff like this is why i was never able to get into anime game/shows outside DBZ/yakuza/mgs/yoko taro. its always some impenertable briar patch for beginners with game names that are way way too long and sound like books written by cultists.

It’s less complicated than it looks because most of the various entries are set in different continuities. You could watch the 2006 series or the UWB one, or play Extra, and get a complete story without needing any prior knowledge.

That said, I might not be the best person to advise others because I’ll happily gobble up anything Fate-related, even the stuff like Last Encore that everyone else seems to hate.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Everyone who's a Saber calls themselves Saber, but not all of those are Saber. Many characters who aren't Saber look like Saber, and that's only sometimes intentional. Also, Napoleon has a giant cannon strapped to his arm.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I've watched the 2006 series and Fate/Zero, and played one of the PSP games, and never managed to get more than one route into the original VN. All of them were entirely comprehensible and self-contained. The English wikis are written by idiots fixated on nonsense details.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

"I've seen some random no context lore and it made no sense to me" is the most insane argument I've ever seen. If you just randomly told people poo poo that happens on namek to someone who's never heard of DBZ and got really into explaining who the namekians are and why they all look like men and the dragon balls etc they'd be equally confused.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

It’s less complicated than it looks because most of the various entries are set in different continuities. You could watch the 2006 series or the UWB one, or play Extra, and get a complete story without needing any prior knowledge.

That said, I might not be the best person to advise others because I’ll happily gobble up anything Fate-related, even the stuff like Last Encore that everyone else seems to hate.

yeah i am sure it is easier to understand once you realize stuff. to me, alot of anime stuff seems way to uncesserly complicated even when it really isnt. it kinda reminds me of a computer word course i took. it makes word sound harder than it sounds because it names every single step and also names stuff 10 different things and adds extra steps.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Fate is not nearly intimidating as people act like it is because the vast majority of Fate Things are completely isolated in their own little continuity from each other, and as long as you understand the basic premise of "wizards summon historical figures to kick each other's asses" then you're like 90% of the way to getting it, and the remaining 10% is usually covered in the first episode.

Except Last Encore, which is a loving trainwreck of nonsense even if you played the game its explicitly a sequel to.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 7, 2020

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

None of the sabers even exist within the same continuities except for the crossover gacha game? It’s like complaining that there are several different spider-men that all look similar.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the secret is that the actual things that actually exist in fate, like the actual stories and stuff, really only name and explain stuff that they have to. the stories are pretty straightforward tbh, and most of it is disconnected from each other in any real sense. you can just pick a thing and watch it/play it if you actually wanna do that, lol. like 12 year olds are playing fate/grand order in japan, its not hard to get the gist of.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

"I've seen some random no context lore and it made no sense to me" is the most insane argument I've ever seen. If you just randomly told people poo poo that happens on namek to someone who's never heard of DBZ and got really into explaining who the namekians are and why they all look like men and the dragon balls etc they'd be equally confused.
this is a good metaphor because if you actually just sat down and watched the namek arc itd be the most straightforward thing in the world. krillin and gohan want the dragon balls, vegeta wants the dragon balls, freiza and his goons want the dragon balls, everyone wants to fight each other over it. like there's a 100000 word article on the namekians on the dbz wiki but all you need to understand to follow the namek arc of dbz is that they're good aliens who are being murdered by evil aliens so the big evil alien can summon a genie.

to try and tie this threads 17th fate derail into a broader conversation, i dont really know whats up with this modern trend of like, googling the wiki and going down every page trying to understand something instead of just, watching it if it interests you and not caring about it if it doesnt. it happens a lot with fate but you see it with other stuff too and its the weirdest poo poo. like not everyone has time to watch everything but if im curious about whether i wanna watch something i usually look at like, reviews, not how the main character's ultimate attack works.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

me whenever Fate comes up

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
fate bad

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

All you need to do is watch the UBW anime. That’s it, you get all the basics of the series right there and if you want to keep digging you can. There’s like 2000 different Fate series and games and stuff so it LOOKS like a tough thing to get into, but it all stems from that first story and that story is a complete tale so you could just watch that then bounce.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've been a fan of Fate stuff since the fanTL of the original work over a decade ago and I've literally never read a wiki page or any loredump book translations or w/e and have enjoyed it just fine. Which should be proof enough that people really are overthinking things.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
the only thing that makes a fate/ series starting point confusing is that there isnt a good anime adaptation of the intended starting point (fate route in the VN) so people get to fight over whether to tell people to watch the anime version of the NG+ route or the prequel anime that expects you to have read the whole thing.

nearly all fate entries are self contained and you can literally just pick up grand order and understand everything except maybe why some characters are popular.

but then again i think the "kh makes no sense" nonsense is totally overblown so i might not be the best perspective here

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The fate wiki is especially fuckin bad because the editors have repeatedly mistaken literal fanfiction for actual worldbuilding, gently caress up explanations constantly, and put way too much emphasis on minor databook jokes (like constantly bringing up a recurring behind the scenes gag about South America having a cliche JRPG super-boss in it) as some kind of deeply important factor for understanding the series

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
Fate is not hard to understand at all. It is however beyond loving awful and is not worth even the smallest amount of investment.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

mgs is not a very good counterexample here lmao

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Hattie Masters posted:

Fate is not hard to understand at all. It is however beyond loving awful and is not worth even the smallest amount of investment.

turn your monitor on

anyways lets all take a moment to listen to EMIYA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ErwgLxBNL0

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it’s called FGO because when you see it you turn 360 degrees and go away

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The fate wiki is especially fuckin bad because the editors have repeatedly mistaken literal fanfiction for actual worldbuilding, gently caress up explanations constantly, and put way too much emphasis on minor databook jokes (like constantly bringing up a recurring behind the scenes gag about South America having a cliche JRPG super-boss in it) as some kind of deeply important factor for understanding the series

It's like trying to get into Star Trek TOS through Memory Alpha or some poo poo.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
More like Fate Stay/Away, IMHO

I've never seen it, though from an outsider it certainly looks like The Most Anime, if that makes any sense

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Hattie Masters posted:

How dare you impugn the honor of "Pokemon, but the monsters are big tiddy anime girls named after historical figures."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when Saber is swinging around the invisible sword it looks real stupid, that’s my Fate take

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Fate seems good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tesseraction posted:

I wonder if that was undone by the wish on Namek to bring back anyone killed by Frieza and his forces, given Nappa was technically still working for Frieza at the time.

...if it did then it wouldn't bring back the planet, mind you, so I guess they'd just all pop back into existence in the middle of space and die again.

I mean that was a joke in abridged when they wonder about what happens to all the giant Ki blasts that fly off into space. The Bug Planet announces how they've recovered from the genocide just in time to get smoked by Vegeta's Final Flash.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The only thing you have to know about Fate is that it basically erased Tsukihime from existence and is therefore trash.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I'd be less opposed to Fate existing if the phone game didn't have some of the creepiest loving poo poo imaginable in it lol

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Takoluka posted:

The only thing you have to know about Fate is that it basically erased Tsukihime from existence and is therefore trash.

On the other hand, how many people would have remembered Tsukihime for its anime, which is arguably worse than any of the Fate anime? Perhaps being erased is the more merciful option.

(Alternate Joke: That's unfair! Arc was in Fate/Extra!)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Just being honest to the source material.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crocoswine posted:

I'd be less opposed to Fate existing if the phone game didn't have some of the creepiest loving poo poo imaginable in it lol

Well yeah, it's a gacha game. Those things are a quagmire of lovecraftian thought created by businesses to wring money out of people.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

CmdrKing posted:

On the other hand, how many people would have remembered Tsukihime for its anime, which is arguably worse than any of the Fate anime? Perhaps being erased is the more merciful option.

I choose not to include Arcueid the Berserker who had she been any other Servant Class would've won the Holy Grail War by herself because Type-Moon had the gall to put her in her Tsukihime remake outfit on a tapestry emblazoned with a Fate anniversary emblem.

Fate gave us three seasons of Prisma Illya. We can't even get another Carnival Phantasm anymore.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Augus posted:

mgs is not a very good counterexample here lmao

oh i know it isnt. it just "easy" enough for my goon brain to process. plus i like weird military/geopolitical poo poo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Takoluka posted:

CmdrKing posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, Fate did not in any way erase the greatest nasuverse anime of all time, Carnival Phantasm, from existing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Has Kyle taken a break from BHH? I just realised I haven't seen a video from him in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He was in the hospital recently from what I recall. Can't say I wouldn't take a break were I in the same spot.