Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Does anyone else prefer Creepshow 2 to the original? Chief Wooden Head is kind of a clunker but The Raft and The Hitchhiker are both fantastic and the animated parts are primo 80s cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Does anyone else prefer Creepshow 2 to the original? Chief Wooden Head is kind of a clunker but The Raft and The Hitchhiker are both fantastic and the animated parts are primo 80s cheese.

I think you're definitely in the minority there but I do love Creepshow 2. I just consider Creepshow to be one of the two or three best anthologies ever made so it wasn't going to be easy to top it.

I think the real decider is that Creepshow has 5 segments, which for me is a lot better than 3. When you only have 3 they tend to drag.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Basebf555 posted:

I think you're definitely in the minority there but I do love Creepshow 2. I just consider Creepshow to be one of the two or three best anthologies ever made so it wasn't going to be easy to top it.

I think the real decider is that Creepshow has 5 segments, which for me is a lot better than 3. When you only have 3 they tend to drag.

For me the original may have more but none really stay with me aside from the asteroid one and the cockroach one and even then both only for certain shock scenes. The Raft and Hitchhiker are both longer but are legitimately much creepier and scarier than anything else in that Creepshow has.

Really my only major issue is Chief Wooden Head which has good moments and a great villain but drags on WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long. The part at the start with the old couple could have easily been cut by at least 5 minutes.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That zombie holding the birthday cake head is iconic tho. And The Crate, man! I think the only forgettable segment from the original Creepshow is the Ted Danson ocean ghost revenge thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Origami Dali posted:

! I think the only forgettable segment from the original Creepshow is the Ted Danson ocean ghost revenge thing.

Uhhhhhhh ...

It’s the cockroach one

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Origami Dali posted:

That zombie holding the birthday cake head is iconic tho. And The Crate, man! I think the only forgettable segment from the original Creepshow is the Ted Danson ocean ghost revenge thing.

That segment rules and also there’s no ghost in it

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

CelticPredator posted:

Uhhhhhhh ...

It’s the cockroach one

What? That's....THE segment everyone remembers from Creepshow. The final moment is almost always listed as one of the best horror moments.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

You'll get a lot of people who will say the Ted Danson/Leslie Nielson segment is their favorite so yea, Creepshow is definitely one of the most consistently good anthologies ever.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
What was the general reation to the Creepshow tv show?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

OpenSourceBurger posted:

What was the general reation to the Creepshow tv show?

Has potential, and a couple of the segments were genuinely good, it has solid fx work, but it suffers from a tiny budget, uninspired cinematography, and some reeeeally bad/lazy writing in a bunch of eps.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God that Halloween episode was a piece of poo poo.

The werewolf episode was fun, but the budget REALLY just made it feel like Furries VS The SS

Which I'm fine with

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
The one with the doll house was creepy as poo poo.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Has potential, and a couple of the segments were genuinely good, it has solid fx work, but it suffers from a tiny budget, uninspired cinematography, and some reeeeally bad/lazy writing in a bunch of eps.

Yeah it started strong but some of the later episodes are a little shaky.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Hammer Horror TV Anthology is the real gem of unseen horror anthologies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

OpenSourceBurger posted:

What? That's....THE segment everyone remembers from Creepshow. The final moment is almost always listed as one of the best horror moments.

Not me. It’s always been the Ted Danson one

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Watchable Trash like Creepshow 2 is the horror threads bread and butter

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'd heard of the roach segment years before I had seen Creepshow and though it's not the best segment it's more memorable than say the monster in a box one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'd heard of the roach segment years before I had seen Creepshow and though it's not the best segment it's more memorable than say the monster in a box one.

:what:

“Tell it to call you Billy” is like, the best line out of either Creepshow movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
What's everyone's favorite Friday the 13th movie Creepshow segment?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill easily, but I love them all.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Agreed, and “I’ll be dipped in poo poo if that ain’t a meteorite” is probably the second greatest line read in the Creepshow franchise.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The first, of course, being “Meteor poo poo!”

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Neo Rasa posted:

What's everyone's favorite Friday the 13th movie Creepshow segment?

It's one of my faves so I love all the segments.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Origami Dali posted:

that segment hosed ME UP as a kid. being buried like that with the ocean coming at you.

I still hate the ocean till this day.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Darthemed posted:

1. David Cronenberg
2. Kiyoshi Kurosawa
3. Koji Shiraishi

Almost went with Romero for #3, but couldn't keep pushing The Dark Half out of my mind.

What are some movies you'd recommend from Kiyoshi Kurosawa? I loved The Pulse, does anything else he's done have that same feel?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Miike is definitely worthy of a spot but he's made a 100+ films and only a small portion of them are horror. I've heard that in Japan he's even better known for his crime films than his horror stuff.

Which raises the question of whether he's a horror director.

Yeah I think Miike's probably best know for his action stuff (Dead or Alive, etc). Although they still have a lot of the over the top gore he's kinda known for, reminds me of a lot of the Korean revenge films in that way.

And as others have mentioned, if you're allowing for people who have done few horror movies Hitchcock is the best (The Birds and Psycho are both great horror entries regardless).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ted Danson one just for Leslie Nealson. But I love Lonesome Death a whole lot. It’s so fun and sad.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
My fave segment is The Crate just because I like Adrienne Barbeau and Hal Holbrooks"'s "chemistry", the concept is so doofy and yet the reality is visceral as hell, and the creature owns.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Hammer Horror TV Anthology is the real gem of unseen horror anthologies.

Agreed. I really love the Amicus horror anthologies, they're great if you like dumb, campy stories told on a shoestring budget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWUMlQBHHpg

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

My fave segment is The Crate just because I like Adrienne Barbeau and Hal Holbrooks"'s "chemistry", the concept is so doofy and yet the reality is visceral as hell, and the creature owns.

I love that whole relationship. King has them show up as background characters in one of his books too, I just read it recently too, but forgot which book it was.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

alansmithee posted:

What are some movies you'd recommend from Kiyoshi Kurosawa? I loved The Pulse, does anything else he's done have that same feel?
mikeycp could probably give a better answer than me on this, as I haven’t been able to find more than a handful of KK’s films, but Loft/Rofuto has a similar feeling of isolation, though not to nearly as high a degree as Pulse. Creepy gets kind of goofy, but has some unnerving moments, and Sweet Home is a pretty basic haunted house story that’s still notable, thanks to its style and for being one of the first videogame tie-in films.

Doppelganger is on Tubi, so I need to get around to that, and I hear good things about Cure, though I haven’t tracked down a copy.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Agreed. I really love the Amicus horror anthologies, they're great if you like dumb, campy stories told on a shoestring budget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWUMlQBHHpg

Asylum in particular is a lot of fun. Vault of Horror, too. They're both streaming on Amazon Prime/Shudder.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A film I see mentioned a lot in non-horror films with excellent horror sections is A Field in England. Anyone have opinions before I sit down to watch it?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I ended up turning off Tammy because it was the PG-13 cut and I am on a spending freeze for a while so no shudder.

But I watched Maniac and Lords of Chaos and The Nightingale and they were all very good movies

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

The_Doctor posted:

A film I see mentioned a lot in non-horror films with excellent horror sections is A Field in England. Anyone have opinions before I sit down to watch it?

Get wasted, and it might make a little sense.

You are in for a loving trip regardless.

e: on the weird coincidental topic of psilocybin, A Field in England has probably the second best depiction of actually tripping in cinema.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 8, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Well now I have to know the first

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Drunkboxer posted:

I watched Creepshow and Creepshow 2 on my wedding day with my groomspeople while we waited til we needed to go to the venue, and I think this was the consensus for the best (with the cockroach one being the one that had almost everyone but me going NO NO NO WHAT THE gently caress)

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

COOL CORN posted:

Well now I have to know the first

A smartphone recorded video from a friend of me, 4 grams deep, wailing and sobbing hysterically to Jordan Belfort's speech near the end of The Wolf of Wall Street while a bunch of white undergrad business students look at me sympathetically from the rest of the packed theater.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hereditary had very good acting behind a tight narrative. Midsommar, in my opinion, had beautiful sets and pieces, but was sprawling to a fault.

Both are good and each one have a particular appeal.

I like Hereditary and Green Room more.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ThePagey posted:

A smartphone recorded video from a friend of me, 4 grams deep, wailing and sobbing hysterically to Jordan Belfort's speech near the end of The Wolf of Wall Street while a bunch of white undergrad business students look at me sympathetically from the rest of the packed theater.

Lmao amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ok I finally watched Rosemary's Baby, what an amazing ending.