Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I went ahead and paid for the cbs app after resisting it. Couldn’t figure out why they would put any show behind a pay wall. I’m glad I did. Seeing Data in the beginning scene (a bit fatter in the face) was refreshing as well as seeing Picard. So far I really like the first show and hope it stays as good in the subsequent episodes.

I think what also helped me like it is that age 51 I’m so big now on watching “old” shows. From Bonanza to Quantum Leap and All in the Family reruns I have this affinity for watching shows that I saw when I was younger. Not sure where that change happened. I also can’t stand to hear newer music and will play classic hip hop or even disco.

What are your thoughts on the show and in my stupid “living in the past.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
He seems bald, IMO, OP.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Disco is p awesome

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
It's bad

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really enjoying it, but I have that same GenX nostalgia thing happening. I watched TNG as it aired. I lived through the "Fire," To Be Continued year.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Haven’t watched it

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Julius CSAR posted:

Haven’t watched it

You've experienced the thread at least now and its just as good

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
my coworker says it is real bad

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

There's something really off about it

Camera angles, bad acting and dialogue, poo poo doesn't gel.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Its pretty good actually

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Kharnifex posted:

Yeah it's definitely a star trek. The pilot was ok, but the two episodes since then feel very much like every other cheesy rear end star trek show.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like it but the editing feels off or something. Like there are scenes missing. The third episode especially seemed to skip parts of the dialogue

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
A little cross posting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfQdf93e63I

These shlubby middle aged men trek with the best of them so this all you need to know.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

realbez posted:

I like it but the editing feels off or something. Like there are scenes missing. The third episode especially seemed to skip parts of the dialogue

I bet CBS told them after they shot things that all the episodes had to be exactly 42 minutes even though it's a web show so they had to do a bunch of stupid edits.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It's okay. Some of the dialog is really bad. I really like Picard's Romulan caretakers. I think exploring that relationship is interesting. I also think his disappointment with Starfleet, and their dissapointment with him, makes an interesting conflict. Also the scene where Picard visits Starfleet HQ and the ensign has no idea who he is was hilarious and sad.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Inept posted:

I bet CBS told them after they shot things that all the episodes had to be exactly 42 minutes even though it's a web show so they had to do a bunch of stupid edits.

fuckers

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I heard it was bad because people in it don't get along all the time and hug out their problems and play grab rear end and all the stuff that made TNG boring poo poo, so it's probably really good. But season one of Discovery was best Star Trek and season two was worst Star Trek, so I probably won't watch it because CBS is schizophrenic.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i heard brent spiner is a weird egomaniac dick irl or maybe i got him confused with shatner. okay thats my star trek story

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kharnifex posted:

theres a 20 minute fight scene with a matrix jump its like dang add an intermission so i can have a smoke break

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like it, but it's one of those extremely serialized shows that's tough to get a complete read on until it completes its arc. I guess more than anything I appreciate that long stretches (maybe even a full episode) go by without an action scene, something Disco has leaned way too far into. Just let the characters breath. And the Romulans are finally interesting as characters. Oh, and

:hellyeah:

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
call me when they get jeff combs, you know what i mean

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like it, but it's one of those extremely serialized shows that's tough to get a complete read on until it completes its arc. I guess more than anything I appreciate that long stretches (maybe even a full episode) go by without an action scene, something Disco has leaned way too far into. Just let the characters breath. And the Romulans are finally interesting as characters. Oh, and

:hellyeah:

dumbo remake lookin sci fi

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Frankenstyle posted:

season one of Discovery was best Star Trek

:stare:

mods!?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the best star trek was voyager because none of the writers coiluld figure out how to wrote a female lead so theres 20 different janeways and you can pick your favorite

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Robo Reagan posted:

the best star trek was voyager because none of the writers coiluld figure out how to wrote a female lead so theres 20 different janeways and you can pick your favorite

I think you are just trying to bait me but I'm not biting. DS9 was and still is and will likely always be the best Star Trek.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's weird, but some people really do like Voyager. Not me, just...some people.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The Chris Pine movie is pretty good

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's weird, but some people really do like Voyager. Not me, just...some people.

some people also like eating crayons

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

some people also like eating crayons

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Those caretakers are to Romulan??? I thought they were Vulcans. Darn.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

I didnt know Romulans could be so hot

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Fallows posted:

I didnt know Romulans could be so hot

didnt you see the episode where the alien says we're all from the same dna

shes like, your sister, dude

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Is Hugh on the former Borg cube the same Hugh that was liberated from the Borg on TNG?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Fuckstick posted:

Is Hugh on the former Borg cube the same Hugh that was liberated from the Borg on TNG?

Well, it's the same actor, so yes.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Fuckstick posted:

I'd forgotten about that.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Have they had an episode with captain Sisko singing about jambalaya or baseball yet?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Alex Kurtzman is the Cecilia Giménez of Star Trek

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Ill wait for it to maybe show up on netflix in a few years because I ain't paying for more than one of these loving things.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pneub posted:

Ill wait for it to maybe show up on netflix in a few years because I ain't paying for more than one of these loving things.

just steal it, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It's poo poo.

CBS all access is doing pretty bad. I know this because I had a one month subscription two years ago, and last month they started illegally charging my card again hoping I wouldn't notice.