Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gnome de plume posted:

One good thing about rebloggin in Tumblr is usually you can usually still see the content even if the original post a has been wiped, which is more than you can say for ie Twitter

True, with upsides and downsides. Once something's on tumblr, consider it on Tumblr for good--including art. (That's why sometimes you see the hashtag #do not reblog.) From the consumer side it can be admittedly handy, though some artists wish they could remove everything more easily.

Anyway, another way tumblr fandom has changed from its primary originating populations is that for the most part it's extremely irreverent. it's like everyone got burned out on fandom wank so now it's more about Havin' a Good Time

including the art,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I will investigate more questions for you.

Perhaps the strangest one from an outside pov, is the absolutely rabid defense of TOS Kirk. You'd think "tumblr people" would be anti-Kirk but that is not so.

not liking kirk would probably be the most flatly anathema stance in star trek tumblr, next to saying that you don't like majel barrett.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
years ago i stumbled into someone's tumblr by way of having been linked to their hilarious picture summary of star trek 2009, and after seeing references to "t'hy'laa" was all "wait a minute i thought i was the only one who read that novelization of TMP, i bet this person's old" and they were like 19 at the time and i found that weirdly heart-warming and affirming

also the into darkness summary is hilarious too

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

this is the content i crave

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Pick posted:

not liking kirk would probably be the most flatly anathema stance in star trek tumblr, next to saying that you don't like majel barrett.

TOS Kirk and Majel Barrett are both pretty great, it's true.

Thank you for your tumblr liaison services. They are appreciated. Please continue.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah Kirk Drift is totally a thing even outside the Tumblr sphere.

http://strangehorizons.com/non-fiction/columns/freshly-rememberd-kirk-drift/

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

i could never figure out how Tumblr even has communities with such a byzantine comment system so thank you Pick for this window into how the other side (Star Trek fans) lives

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Threshold day sounds like the greatest day ever.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Also, I love this picture. Everyone looks so happy to be there. :3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

years ago i stumbled into someone's tumblr by way of having been linked to their hilarious picture summary of star trek 2009, and after seeing references to "t'hy'laa" was all "wait a minute i thought i was the only one who read that novelization of TMP, i bet this person's old" and they were like 19 at the time and i found that weirdly heart-warming and affirming

also the into darkness summary is hilarious too

TOS is still very popular among tumblr's 17-22 year olds. of course it's also popular among older folks but you'd expect that

they normally very much like the show but they REALLY love the movies. I think it's because a lot of them grew up enjoying The Voyage Home/seeing it often. TOS is kinda old testament and the TOS films are like the new testament. A lot more chit-chat about the new testament but the goddamn Rules come from the Old Testament

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vavrek posted:

TOS Kirk and Majel Barrett are both pretty great, it's true.

Thank you for your tumblr liaison services. They are appreciated. Please continue.

Diane Duane, of the Romulan novels that FCA lent me that I stiiilll haven't read yettt (sssoooorrrrrryyyy :( ) has a tumblr. dduane.tumblr.com. See, there are old people on tumblr!

spockslash.tumblr.com was run by a 77-year-old woman who has since passed away. you can see her final word to the Star Trek spock slash community here:

quote:

* who has shipped Spirk since that night in 1967 that Amok Time first aired
* and helped storm NBC to keep TOS on the air for a 3rd season
* and wrote fanfic way back in the day
* and was privileged to be around for the earliest days of fandom, when Leonard used to come to your house if that’s where the fan club was meeting and sit on the sofa with you in that Spock hair cut and eat cake

All of you who are writing TOS/AOS fan fiction and creating fan art now: remember, YOU are the ones shaping the traditions of fandom. You have inherited the kingdom. Bless you for keeping it vibrant, growing, alive. In fifty years, you will be the ones who are remembered for molding it and handing it down to the future. It probably doesn’t feel like now, but you are making history.

Your current addiction to TOS and the feels you get when you contemplate the love between Jim and Spock will be with you for life. It won’t always be in the forefront; you will sometimes go years, sometimes go a decade, without Star Trek being more than a passing thought. But then something will remind you and every consuming feeling you feel right now will come rushing back, every bit as powerful and deep and strong as it is today. All there, right where you left it.

The friendships you make in fandom will be with you for life. Like all friendships, they will wax and wane as the focus of your life shifts over time, but you will always be able to pick up the thread. You will — to give you a hypothetical example — be 77 years old and discover Tumblr and get a rush of Spirk feels after a decade of not giving TOS a thought, and contact your 83-year-old fangirl friend in the nursing home, to whom you haven’t spoken in several years. You will open the conversation with, “So, Jim and Spock love each other and that just makes me so happy.” And your friend in the nursing home will sigh and say, “Yes. They do love each other. It’s such a comfort.”

That look that Jim and Spock give each other, of absolute adoration and acceptance and love? That’s real. It’s rare, but it’s real. One of my greatest joys in life is to see my son and his husband give each other looks like that. Of course I don’t know you; I don’t know your strengths and struggles or your place on the spectrum of gender or anything about your sexuality or what you look like or what your life has taught you to believe about yourself, but I do know this: YOU DESERVE TO BE LOVED AND LOOKED AT THE WAY JIM AND SPOCK LOOK AT EACH OTHER. Please don’t accept less than that in your life.

The future of our planet does not seem very hopeful at the moment. But please remember that when Gene created Star Trek, the world was in turmoil and the future seemed very bleak. Star Trek is, was, always shall be about hope. Reach for it. When TOS first aired, we hoped to see some form of a Starfleet on the horizon in our lifetimes. That vision must be passed on to you. Do it. Make the world worthy of launching the human race out into space. CREATE STARFLEET.

You are all creative and funny and amazing. Far more amazing than you know. Be kind to yourselves. Live long and prosper, kids.

When she died there was an immediate movement to back up her tumblr so it could be memorialized and couldn't be lost, which I think is nice. very long time to be blogging about kirk and spock kissing but a lot of people do a lot of things

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

i could never figure out how Tumblr even has communities with such a byzantine comment system so thank you Pick for this window into how the other side (Star Trek fans) lives

It's honestly like another language and it's very hard to explain. If someone were to ask me, "How do you start participating in star trek tumblr?" I do not know if I could give you an answer. I guess you find people who blog about star trek good (somehow) and then also make things yourself and tag them and maybe something in the broken search tool will allow someone to see it. again, I really do not know. even then about 80% of my dash ends up being other stuff, including weird hot takes about various other things. one of the fun things about tumblr is what is sometimes referred to as the "distant shark fin", i.e. you get a whiff of some... thing that is happening elsewhere, something bad, but it's small and indistinct and soon gone, leaving you only with the knowledge that SOMEONE out there is shipping mitt romney and rand paul

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

spockslash.tumblr.com was run by a 77-year-old woman who has since passed away. you can see her final word to the Star Trek spock slash community here:

When she died there was an immediate movement to back up her tumblr so it could be memorialized and couldn't be lost, which I think is nice. very long time to be blogging about kirk and spock kissing but a lot of people do a lot of things

This is extremely sweet and precious.

quote:

Diane Duane, of the Romulan novels that FCA lent me that I stiiilll haven't read yettt (sssoooorrrrrryyyy :( )

(lol j/k it's okay)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Pick posted:

TOS is still very popular among tumblr's 17-22 year olds. of course it's also popular among older folks but you'd expect that

Pick posted:

Diane Duane, of the Romulan novels that FCA lent me that I stiiilll haven't read yettt (sssoooorrrrrryyyy :( ) has a tumblr. dduane.tumblr.com. See, there are old people on tumblr!
It's not age that stops me, it's the structure of how tumblr organizes content and ... enables? encourages? community. Not that it does so, but how it does so. I grew up on then-old GeoCities sites and online fora then in the shadow of Something Awful, and came to appreciate blogs and blog-comment-conversations sometime after LiveJournal stopped being relevant in my social circle. Twitter and Reddit I can parse, kind of, though not well.

Tumblr is a loving enigma. It feels like if I understood it, I'd have to follow it obsessively to get value out of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vavrek posted:

It's not age that stops me, it's the structure of how tumblr organizes content and ... enables? encourages? community. Not that it does so, but how it does so. I grew up on then-old GeoCities sites and online fora then in the shadow of Something Awful, and came to appreciate blogs and blog-comment-conversations sometime after LiveJournal stopped being relevant in my social circle. Twitter and Reddit I can parse, kind of, though not well.

Tumblr is a loving enigma. It feels like if I understood it, I'd have to follow it obsessively to get value out of it.

Tumblr is interesting because it was explicitly designed to try to NOT facilitate communication. It was trying to AVOID people making communities. This was not accidental. But like Delenn says on Babylon 5, the amazing thing about humans is, no matter where they go, they build communities :3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
even if it means communicating via screenshotted hashtags :psyduck:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ask more q's

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is there a Star Trek AU where Kirk and Picard have to be co-captains?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Is there a Star Trek AU where Kirk and Picard have to be co-captains?

Haven't really seen this. Also, Picard's actually not that popular on Star Trek tumblr? And you never see screeds lauding him the way you do Kirk (see above).

I think part of that is that the TNG side of star trek tumblr, far more than the TOS side, seems very into the idea of being in Starfleet, working on the Enterprise-D, and having the characters around the ship be part of your life potentially even as your friends! That's the dominant fantasy, not the power fantasy of being captain. And certainly not with the intention of replacing anyone or putting them out of a job. So if Picard is Captain, and he acts like Picard, the Captain, he's not really probably going to be your friend? Because he's not like that with crew? So he's not as popular as, say, Troi, Geordi, or even Riker, where people who are in the mindset of working on the ship as crew/members of Starfleet can see themselves having more natural and friendly interactions with them.

here is star trek tumblr's preferred Captain Picard content:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Pick posted:

Tumblr is interesting because it was explicitly designed to try to NOT facilitate communication. It was trying to AVOID people making communities. This was not accidental. But like Delenn says on Babylon 5, the amazing thing about humans is, no matter where they go, they build communities :3:
Huh. I've occasionally encountered references to the tumblelogs (tumbleblogs? stumbleblogs? something?) that preceded Tumblr, I think usually being made by Warren Ellis, but I don't know them outside of hearsay, don't know what they were like, or what Tumblr was trying to be before it was famous for what it is now (& what it has been over the last five years or so).

Pick posted:

even if it means communicating via screenshotted hashtags :psyduck:
A friend of mine has a saying. This saying is "the internet was a mistake."

Pick posted:

here is star trek tumblr's preferred Captain Picard content:

How many people have sent this to Wil Wheaton? Is it a lot? It should be a lot. I checked his website the other day and it seems like he's been going through a really rough patch over the last few years and could maybe use the positivity.

edit: Also I was talking with a different friend the other day, helping him remember what was going on with the character stuff in TNG early on with Picard and Wesley and came to the realization that one: the whole uncomfortable dynamic between Beverley, Jean-Luc, Wesley, whatever Wesley-dad was named, etc., actually feels like a realistic handling of an entirely possible situation. Like, when you look at the events that happened in the past, how everybody knew each other, it doesn't feel like a gimmick.

Realization two: Was Wheaton officially playing young for Wesley? Because I think Wesley makes sense if he's at most like 14 or 15 years old and I think Wil Wheaton was 17 when the show started. I haven't checked Memory Alpha to confirm ages, but my suspicion is just that all the directors and maybe some of the script writers forgot how adult someone is by 17, thought "under 18 is a child" and wrote Wesley like he was 13.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 7, 2020

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Pick posted:

ask more q's

What do people think about Riker? I was thinking about how he's way more the 'womanizer' / casual relationship that lasts only an episode kind of character than Kirk was. Like the time the plot was about a gender restrictive society and exploring deviant sexuality and this was manifested as Riker deciding a woman needed his dick.

Or the Irish.

You remember the Irish right?

(picture taken from https://sttngfashion.tumblr.com/post/36810164169/remember-that-episode-with-the-heidy-deidy-irish found by searching for 'star trek irish sweater')

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
How does Star Trek tumblr feel about Reginald Barclay?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

W.T. Fits posted:

How does Star Trek tumblr feel about Reginald Barclay?

I'm on my phone so illl get back to the earlier comments because they take more time, but this ones pretty easy: they don't really care for him. They like that OBrien put a spider on him one time.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

apparently Q/Picard is the preferred ship; seems obvious in retrospect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTwyb-A1oak

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Extremely so. I was going to make a post about it.

It's assumed from the outside that this is because fans love gay stuff ~mysteriously~ and that's true in some fandoms that only seem to be about Fancy Boys, but I think STar Trek fandom specifically is very into character chemistry and find Q/picard just plain an engaging premise ("curmudgeon and the trickster space god who has taken a fancy to him"). It IS a pretty novel concept and has good potential to be compelling and funny.

Also it kind of has that arc with the awkward humanity trial first meeting and then it becomes friendlier and Picard helps him and Q learns to be a better person--classic

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
How does Tumblr feel about Riker?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

How does Tumblr feel about Riker?

I was getting back to that one!

Riker is fairly popular! Here's what tumblr says about Riker:

- casually bisexual (and not because they're explicitly citing "The Outcast", they would have this view of him anyway)
- love trombone!
- cool friend, likes to josh around, stand-up fella
- riker and chairs! he sits down riker-style!!

Outside of Picard's existence in Q/Picard slash (search term "qcard"), Riker is probably more popular than Picard on Tumblr.

a lot of this might also be spillover affection for Jonathan Frakes, who is simply popular on tumblr for apparently always being really nice to con-goers etc. a lot of tumblrers know him from "fact or fiction" too since they're a little younger on average.

also, in this space, a well-established fandom stance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDLq51joXPw

Pick fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 8, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My first impression of that video is that they are just deep friends that also have that kinda of slightly antagonistic rivalry, because it doesn't have that, you know, truly petty cattiness that exes have. But, I could also buy that they're simply exes who left on good terms. Either way, I forgot about that exchange, and it is extremely cute.

Now do Deanna Troi.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

My first impression of that video is that they are just deep friends that also have that kinda of slightly antagonistic rivalry, because it doesn't have that, you know, truly petty cattiness that exes have. But, I could also buy that they're simply exes who left on good terms. Either way, I forgot about that exchange, and it is extremely cute.

Now do Deanna Troi.

tbh most star trek slash on tumblr has very very little to do with what anyone thinks is "canon" (no one cares) or "sexy", it's almost exclusively what people think is either cute or really funny. absolutely no one thinks riker and quark actually hosed for real, except no one can prove they can't, and the idea is like funny-gross , and is especially great because it helps shore up the walls against straight men engaging with the community. you start going on about riker and quark having sex and men loving bail because they don't realize the women can just chat funny about it without seriously thinking about it, or being that much more grossed out than when their boyfriends don't wipe correctly. women have a natural advantage here. anyway.

Again, the absolute dominant attitude on tumblr is irreverence.

AFAIK there is no actual serious Riker slash ship, or adherents for any such, who like it the way that people cared about couples on Downton Abbey. The closest is one or two people think they could have had a good time banging this out:

Pick fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 8, 2020

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Okay, that clip got me thinking about Quark (and remembering how much fun Quark is), which got me on to Mirror Universe Quark.

What do people think of the Mirror Universe?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Now do Deanna Troi.

Deanna is kind of boring, because there's not a ton to go on there, but an unspoken rule of tumblr generally but Star Trek Tumblr very much is that you do not express dislike for female characters. you can say you wish they were handled differently, but even for female ST characters who are divisive overall (e.g. lwuxana), you absolutely Don't express ill-will toward them.

Though, honestly, part of it is that star trek tumblr is very positive generally. There are a few exceptions (dukat, lorca) but overall it's expected that if you can't say anything nice, to say nothing at all.

Anyway she's generally liked but you don't see a ton of content. most of it is shipping her and Tasha Yar.

People like her and Riker as a couple!

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 8, 2020

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Not being allowed to have anything but milquetoast opinions on the woman characters is poo poo.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Pick posted:

Deanna is kind of boring, because there's not a ton to go on there, but an unspoken rule of tumblr generally but Star Trek Tumblr very much is that you do not express dislike for female characters. you can say you wish they were handled differently, but even for female ST characters who are divisive overall (e.g. lwuxana), you absolutely Don't express ill-will toward them.

Though, honestly, part of it is that star trek tumblr is very positive generally. There are a few exceptions (dukat, lorca) but overall it's expected that if you can't say anything nice, to say nothing at all.

I just wanna hear more about this now. How far does it go? Also why is Lwaxana divisive?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Not being allowed to have anything but milquetoast opinions on the woman characters is poo poo.

I sort of agree but tumblr's character overall is very reflective of its history as the first popular alternative to livejournal. in the old livejournal fandom days, hatred towards female characters was intense and relentless and bizarre and cruel and borderline insane so in many ways tumblr is a reaction to that--not just in how female characters are treated, but its irreverence as opposed to intense blood-feud drama. it's an overcorrection in a number of ways.

circa 2002 and whatnot, it wasn't uncommon for women to write stories about female characters being beaten, murdered, raped, etc. because they "got in the way" of either self-insert fantasies or slash preferences. it was turbo disturbing and the next generation largely tried to plaster over it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

I sort of agree but tumblr's character overall is very reflective of its history as the first popular alternative to livejournal. in the old livejournal fandom days, hatred towards female characters was intense and relentless and bizarre and cruel and borderline insane so in many ways tumblr is a reaction to that--not just in how female characters are treated, but its irreverence as opposed to intense blood-feud drama. it's an overcorrection in a number of ways.

circa 2002 and whatnot, it wasn't uncommon for women to write stories about female characters being beaten, murdered, raped, etc. because they "got in the way" of either self-insert fantasies or slash preferences. it was turbo disturbing and the next generation largely tried to plaster over it.

I knew about all the early 00s misogyny, but I never really linked it with the sort of women-agnostic mindset fandoms adopted later on in the decade and the 10s. That's actually insightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

is tumblr kind to pulaski