Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I loved Midsommar tge first time I saw it and went back to see the Directors Cut when it came to theatres.
I feel like the Directors Cut took a lot of the nuance out of the film. I think adding more context to the argument about sharing the same thesis was a good addition but the boyfriend was a lot more understanding & somewhat of a sympathetic character in the theatrical cut whereas in the directors cut, he was a totally irredeemable gaslighting shitbag to Florence Pugh and that hurt the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

The_Doctor posted:

A film I see mentioned a lot in non-horror films with excellent horror sections is A Field in England. Anyone have opinions before I sit down to watch it?

I liked it but found it hard to follow, mostly because I was high but also because the accents were tough to decipher and it's intentionally disorienting

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

married but discreet posted:

Ok I finally watched Rosemary's Baby, what an amazing ending.

I wanted that bassinet something fierce for my kids.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

gey muckle mowser posted:

I liked it but found it hard to follow, mostly because I was high but also because the accents were tough to decipher and it's intentionally disorienting

Well I’m English anyway, so I should be alright with accents.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yo Holls, what's your favorite of the Hammer horror anthology series

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The_Doctor posted:

A film I see mentioned a lot in non-horror films with excellent horror sections is A Field in England. Anyone have opinions before I sit down to watch it?

It's absolutely a horror movie, people are just thrown because it's a really unique film in general.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I just saw Bram Stoker's Dracula for the first time I've got some pretty angry things to say about how the female characters are treated.

Lucy: I really don't like how the movie implies that the reason Lucy is turned into a vampire is because she's so horny/sexy. In the book the reason she ultimately ends up getting turned is because her mother throws out the garlic flowers Van Helsing brings over and leaves a window open, so the moral is more "If a doctor does something for a loved one you shouldn't undo it, even if you think it seems silly, because you could end up causing them great harm" rather than "Slutty sluts are more prone to vampirism."

Mina: I really REALLY loving hate that she's made into Dracula's loving love interest. In the book she's smart, competent, and strong willed. In the movie she's just super horny for Dracula and the way he preys upon her is romanticized in a extremely creepy way.

The novel isn't perfect and does quite a few creepy/sexist things of its own (like constantly talking about how hot Lucy's corpse is after she dies), but it was also written in 1897, and still managed to treat the female leads with more dignity and respect than a movie made nearly a hundred years later in 1992.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Everybody’s super horny in Coppola’s Dracula. Van Helsing has a super crazy boner for Dracula, that’s how horny the movie is.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I really liked about Dracula was the bitching suit of armor he had.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just saw Bram Stoker's Dracula for the first time I've got some pretty angry things to say about how the female characters are treated.

Lucy: I really don't like how the movie implies that the reason Lucy is turned into a vampire is because she's so horny/sexy. In the book the reason she ultimately ends up getting turned is because her mother throws out the garlic flowers Van Helsing brings over and leaves a window open, so the moral is more "If a doctor does something for a loved one you shouldn't undo it, even if you think it seems silly, because you could end up causing them great harm" rather than "Slutty sluts are more prone to vampirism."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ruddiger posted:

Everybody’s super horny in Coppola’s Dracula. Van Helsing has a super crazy boner for Dracula, that’s how horny the movie is.

This is true, it is a SUPER horny movie, in fact I'd argue it is, for better or worse, one of the horniest horror movies of all time despite not having any sex scenes (unless the vampire feedings count as sex scenes? Like, they're shot like sex scenes, but it's left ambiguous whether any sex is actually happening or if it's all just a really horny metaphor).

Now, in the books defense, Lucy doesn't JUST have to be killed for being too sexy for Victorian society (although she is a super sexy dead lady, Brahm Stoker will not let you forget that), the main reason she has to die after going full vampire is because she keeps eating kids, which was strongly frowned upon back then.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My cousin saw Coppola’s Dracula before I got to see it and the first thing he told me about it was “a girl has sex with a werewolf” and I knew right then and there that movie was made for me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

This is true, it is a SUPER horny movie, in fact I'd argue it is, for better or worse, one of the horniest horror movies of all time despite not having any sex scenes (unless the vampire feedings count as sex scenes? Like, they're shot like sex scenes, but it's left ambiguous whether any sex is actually happening or if it's all just a really horny metaphor).

Now, in the books defense, Lucy doesn't JUST have to be killed for being too sexy for Victorian society (although she is a super sexy dead lady, Brahm Stoker will not let you forget that), the main reason she has to die after going full vampire is because she keeps eating kids, which was strongly frowned upon back then.

There's a chick getting boned by a werewolf, at least.

Also, A Modest Proposal was written almost 150 years before Dragula, so they would be pretty up to date on the eating of kids and the pros/cons of societal reform.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Also, A Modest Proposal was written almost 150 years before Dragula

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES AND BURN THROUGH THE WITCHES

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That wasn't a werewolf, that was Dracula in wolf form, and like I said it's left unclear whether he's just eating Lucy or eating her and also banging her.

It is absolutely shot like a sex scene though, that much we know for sure.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

surprised he hasn't been renamed Fuckula to be honest

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
It was established awhile ago that Dracula is actually a pre-modern incel.

Whereas Frankenstein, he fucks.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What are you talking about, Dracula fucks (obviously)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

What are you talking about, Dracula fucks (obviously)

Stephen King summed it up best: vampires are sexy, but they're dead from the neck down.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In 1724 when Peter Plogojowitz, the first historically documented vampire (alleged), was exumed and a wooden stake driven into his corpse showed "wild signs" that the writer, Imperial Provisor Frombald, chose not to comment further on for the sake of good taste. I.e. a boner

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Back in the old days of the internet a buddy of mine used to do a weekly email newsletter telling all kinds of old historical "vampire" stories like that and I really miss it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
That scene where the brides grind up on Keanu was laser etched onto my 11 year old brain.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Drunkboxer posted:

That scene where the brides grind up on Keanu was laser etched onto my 11 year old brain.

Monica belucci might not even be the hottest bride in that scene and it’s got Keanu in it. The film’s horny is a good horny, and a strong one

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the main reason she has to die after going full vampire is because she keeps eating kids, which was strongly frowned upon back then.

Yeah the British had a strong aversion to necrophilia back then.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

One of the best, for sure. "What have you done to his eyes?" remains one of the most chilling lines in all of horror.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone watched Luz on Shudder? Is it worth checking out?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LemonLimeSoda posted:

but the boyfriend was a lot more understanding & somewhat of a sympathetic character in the theatrical cut whereas in the directors cut, he was a totally irredeemable gaslighting shitbag to Florence Pugh and that hurt the movie
Can... you elaborate on how this is possible? I found the big weakness from the start of the film that they did too much frontloading on the boyfriend being a shitbag.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The boyfriend in Midsommar is not a can of worms you want to open on the SA forums. Trust me on this.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I thought the boyfriend was fine. I actually think besides how well they portrayed what it's like to be in mushrooms that I think it was a really good portrayal of how draining a relationship like that can be for both parties, especially at their age/stage in life.

RenegadeStyle1 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 8, 2020

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Thanks for everyone that recommended Hereditary over Midsommar, it was great.

Those people really could've avoided a lot of trouble if they had gotten some family therapy huh?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Midsommar is a film about everyone enabling everyone else's worst behaviour.

It's a complete mess of unhealthy relationships on every level everywhere.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone watched Luz on Shudder? Is it worth checking out?

I liked it but didn't love it. It's a good-looking movie and it juggles multiple layers of reality in an interesting way, but otherwise it's pretty insubstantial.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FordCQC posted:

Thanks for everyone that recommended Hereditary over Midsommar, it was great.

Those people really could've avoided a lot of trouble if they had gotten some family therapy huh?

nah because the problems are

hereditary

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Does anyone else prefer Creepshow 2 to the original? Chief Wooden Head is kind of a clunker but The Raft and The Hitchhiker are both fantastic and the animated parts are primo 80s cheese.

The Raft blows. Creepshow 2 would probably not get included in my Halloween marathon every year if it didn't pair so well with the first one, it's a really big step down. I mean it's still good, but the first two segments are insanely dragged out, and there's not enough variety, and the animation on the framing device is godawful.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Evan Dorkin and his buddy admit they love Creepshow 2 more than the original on one of their newest episodes of the Tear Them Apart podcast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Neo Rasa posted:

What's everyone's favorite Friday the 13th movie Creepshow segment?

Something To Tide You Over, followed closely by The Hitchhiker.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Creepshow is an immortal masterpiece of cinema and a heartfelt homage to the EC tradition of horror comics Ms possibly the best Stephen King film.

Creepshow 2 is alright.

We don't talk about Creepshow 3.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Creepshow owns, Tales From the Crypt owns, Tales From the Darkside owns.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Lurdiak posted:

The Raft blows. Creepshow 2 would probably not get included in my Halloween marathon every year if it didn't pair so well with the first one, it's a really big step down. I mean it's still good, but the first two segments are insanely dragged out, and there's not enough variety, and the animation on the framing device is godawful.

Rewatching The Raft after having just finished reading the story really shows how much pacing can change a story. They both hit pretty much the same points, but the short story really makes a meal out of lengthening the time that they’re out there and really lays on how hopeless the situation is, while the segment blows so fast through everything.

Plus you don’t get the main characters thoughts so you just see a dude swim to a raft then IMMEDIATELY start screaming about how this...black trashbag pile is alive.

(I still love the ending of the Creepshow one more, though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Btw for those of you who haven’t seen it, which is probably most people cause it’s been kind of a hassle to find, The Tenant is streaming on prime now. The third of Polanski’s “apartment trilogy” of horror movies and every bit as good as repulsion and rosemary