Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jippa posted:

Jeselnik is my go to example of a brilliant comedian who doesn't make me laugh. It's not my thing but I appreciate his talent.

I don't quite love his one-liner stuff, but I really enjoyed his second-to-last special, where he dropped (most of) the persona and did some longer routines talking about his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Megazver posted:

I don't quite love his one-liner stuff, but I really enjoyed his second-to-last special, where he dropped (most of) the persona and did some longer routines talking about his life.

SHARK PARTY

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jurgan posted:

It's possible it works better in long form. In Denver, there's a radio station that plays nothing but stand-up comedy, but usually just two minute clips from various comedians. That was where I first heard him, and I'm not sure you can pick up on an ironic persona in such small chunks.

yea a lot of his stuff works better as a slow build kinda thing, you can't really just play a clip of him saying something crazy in a deadpan and expect it to work as well as when that moment drops after like five minutes of setup.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Apoplexy posted:

What in the gently caress?

Ok I overestimated how well known this was.

https://youtu.be/TKZ2PKQ21UM

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

About 35 mins into his podcast today, Jeselnik talks about being annoyed at people comparing him to Shaffir and randoms on twitter @replying him like WHERE’S YOUR JOKE? about Kobe. To put it in context, he starts the episode by saying that after 15+ years of living in LA, the outpouring of emotions by Angelenos this week has finally made him feel like this city is his home. And that he now considers himself a Lakers fan.

In contrast, Ari Shaffir lived in LA for 15 years too — specifically bringing up that nobody would come to his shows when the Lakers were on championship runs — and didn’t realize that making fun of Kobe’s death in that way would result in people finding his address and putting out hits on him. Not that that’s okay in anyway, but he has a total lack of intelligence and self-awareness, the two most important things for a comedian after being funny.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

piratepilates posted:

Ari was also mad at Bert for welching on a bet to donate money to cancer research if he didn’t finish a marathon or something like that. That’s all I remember from the 45 minute intro to the last ep of his podcast I listened to.

I’m excited to see Ari begin his journey on the Owen Benjamin career suicide path.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

piratepilates posted:

This video made the entire fanbases of everyone in this video (well, I guess except Ari) go from "gently caress woke cancel culture" (just trying to describe what I feel is their common attitude without trying to start any flame wars, don't @ me) to "Yeah, gently caress cancel culture I guess, but maybe cancel Ari? Yeah, let's cancel Ari."

Megazver fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 6, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It takes a certain level of hosed upness to horrify Joe fuckin' Rogan, who is the epitome of "Do it now, deal with consequences lster"

Agreed about Kinane. That is a guy who deserved to be bigger, then took the ball and ran with it. I hope he gets that Galifianakis-esque breakout role.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 6, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not Really, Joe Rogan smokes weed, but his experience with other drugs is extremely limited, so I could easily see him thinking it’s a much bigger deal than it is.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Not Really, Joe Rogan smokes weed, but his experience with other drugs is extremely limited, so I could easily see him thinking it’s a much bigger deal than it is.

I'm not talking strictly drug stuff, its stuff like bumrushing Mencia, having certifiable nutbars on his show, agreeing to a MMA cage fight with Wesley Snipes, the all meat diet, etc

He's an impulsive man, and when you make super impulsive folks take a step back with your behaviour because you went too far, its maybe time for some introspection

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Rogan has a fuckin DMT molecule tattooed on his shoulder so I think he does more than just smoke weed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly the idea that someone could smoke DMT without ever having done LSD is loving insane to me

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Jippa posted:

Jeselnik is my go to example of a brilliant comedian who doesn't make me laugh. It's not my thing but I appreciate his talent.

I feel similarly about Bill Hicks. It’s like, I relate to the anger but it feels joyless. I particularly remember a long bit about Rush Limbaugh giving Barbara Bush oral sex. I get the idea of trying to bring them down but it’s just gross and not funny. Or the thing where he tells advertisers to kill themselves; it’s more venting in front of an audience than telling jokes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Jurgan posted:

I feel similarly about Bill Hicks. It’s like, I relate to the anger but it feels joyless. I particularly remember a long bit about Rush Limbaugh giving Barbara Bush oral sex. I get the idea of trying to bring them down but it’s just gross and not funny. Or the thing where he tells advertisers to kill themselves; it’s more venting in front of an audience than telling jokes.

It's ok. Bill Hicks wasn't that funny. Good showman for sure but his material doesn't hold up at all.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bill Hicks has like 3-4 good bits but every time ive tried to listen to him he goes into a 5 minute straight rendition of slurping the Devil's veiny cock and I'm like "Uh, you've generally done more harm than good to the medium"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

piratepilates posted:

Wow. This is the sort of thing where even if you're not going to file a police report, you break off all contact and warn everyone you know about him.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Wow. This is the sort of thing where even if you're not going to file a police report, you break off all contact and warn everyone you know about him.

Uuuuuuuh, ok I’m not trying to say it’s cool to dose your friends, but Ari and I go to a lot of the same festivals and events and have spent a lot of time in the same group of people. Dosing your close friend with Molly as a prank, while obviously a very big deal to some people, is not remotely a big enough deal to warrant this response where people like Ari and I are from. Maybe Ari as a comedian didn’t read the room appropriately, but acting like Ari belongs behind bars for this is alarmist.

I also think all the complaints about it being dangerous for Bert’s health are completely ridiculous, none of those men have ever given a poo poo about Bert’s health, least of all Bert. He eats like poo poo and drinks like poo poo and probably does mad drugs all the time. Tom Segura, by contrast, has actually changed his life to be and live healthier and it really shows. If anything I think Bert looks worse now than he did 5 years ago.

The thing about him being around his kids is equally dumb, he is drunk and stoned around them CONSTANTLY and says as much on any of his 5 podcasts.

There are many good reasons to cancel Ari Shaffir, I honestly don’t get why this would be one of them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Bust Rodd posted:

There are many good reasons to cancel Ari Shaffir, I honestly don’t get why this would be one of them.

I sort of get where you're coming from and MDMA is probably one of the less serious drugs to dose someone with if it's going to happen, but it's clearly over the line and Shaffir obviously doesn't give a poo poo after the fact even with a room of people telling him it was a seriously hosed up thing he did. Bert can be fat and drunk all he wants if it's a result of his own decisions, drugging someone without their knowledge or consent and then making jokes about it afterwards is some genuine scumbag behavior that goes beyond just a bad prank.

Saying this as someone who's done MDMA multiple times and thinks it's a great drug all things considered. Would still be extremely pissed off if one of my friends did what Ari did and would almost certainly never speak to them again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I agree with your sentiments, I think we’re on the same page, I’m also speaking from the experience of someone who has been the Bert here many times. I would NEVER (and have never) spiked anyone with anything without their consent, but it was more commonplace in my friend circle and to be honest none of us had real jobs back then so the consequences were relatively minor.

It’s funny though to watch that video and hear Bert contradict himself about his own drinking multiple times every two minutes. I don’t care how many spin classes you go to Bert, you are an alcoholic.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Make those guys go back in time twenty years without kids, responsibilites, careers and it probably wouldn't have been such a big deal in their mind. Ari, for all intents and purposes, still acts like an irresponsible twenty year old.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I like Joe Rogan, even if he is a jackass that gives voice to those that I'd rather didn't exist. He's just simple and likes everyone. I like and trust him more than an average 50 something year old white guy in the US. He'll never hold the opinions or thoughts of a 19 year old person in contemporary America, but he's a pretty good example of his demographic.

I like Bert, not his standup, but he's simple and genuine in everything he does. He might not have the "right" opinions, but he's got a good heart, he's just older and trying to figure out what reality is now.

Ari is a piece of poo poo that tries to hide behind things that he's not worthy of. I like the storyteller (?) shows, but he's a 12 year old nerd that got picked on and hasn't progressed past that.

Drugging anybody is so loving juvenile that I can't forgive it if they weren't 15 years old. Bert is a jackass, but he's married with kids. I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy, even if it was to get the 'lulz' from teenagers on the internet.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ariza posted:

he's married with kids. I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy,

same

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah This Is Not Happening is super good. I don’t know how involved with the show Ari was besides hosting it or why he got replaced by the amazing Roy Wood Jr. but there are lots of really unbelievably funny stories there.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah This Is Not Happening is super good. I don’t know how involved with the show Ari was besides hosting it or why he got replaced by the amazing Roy Wood Jr. but there are lots of really unbelievably funny stories there.

Lest anyone be unaware - for a lot of the segments, there are longer uncut versions of the stories available on youtube.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Bust Rodd posted:

He got cut the day he announced his netflix standup special.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Odddzy posted:

He got cut the day he announced his netflix standup special.

Has anything similar ever happened? Not just Netflix, but any of the contemporary 'important' special steps? HBO, CC, etc? Getting blacklisted way after you've paid to be recorded, edited? I'm glad, hopefully Ari gets a job bagging groceries or parking cars for a decade to get some perspective

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ariza posted:

Has anything similar ever happened? Not just Netflix, but any of the contemporary 'important' special steps? HBO, CC, etc? Getting blacklisted way after you've paid to be recorded, edited? I'm glad, hopefully Ari gets a job bagging groceries or parking cars for a decade to get some perspective

Bill Cosby got his taped special cancelled after it was recorded and ready to release. Louis CK got the release of a movie cancelled weeks before it was to be shown to the public. Pretty much every one that did crimes unrelated to drugs (Ahem... Tim Allen).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

piratepilates posted:

Good video. Though I wasn't 'wtf'ing in confusion, just at Ari. What a complete loving piece of poo poo.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I also think all the complaints about it being dangerous for Bert’s health are completely ridiculous, none of those men have ever given a poo poo about Bert’s health, least of all Bert. He eats like poo poo and drinks like poo poo and probably does mad drugs all the time. Tom Segura, by contrast, has actually changed his life to be and live healthier and it really shows. If anything I think Bert looks worse now than he did 5 years ago.

"It's ok to drug my friend because he's a fat gently caress" is certainly an argument I didn't expect to see today.

Just as a thread PSA, don't give people MDMA without their knowledge, if for no other reason than combining it with certain common anti-depressants can cause either health risks, or serotonin syndrome which is often fatal.

blunt fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 7, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Jesus Christ, no, you never dose/spike anyone without their knowledge. Period.

This is Drug Etiquette 101 and I've know it since I was 16.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah dosing without someone's consent is pretty garbage. Also being on MDMA on a commercial flight (which Ari knew Bert was doing) sounds like a god drat nightmare.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Does anyone know Tom Papa? He just released a new Netflix special: "You're Doing Great." His earlier special "Freaked Out" (2013) is on Amazon Prime, and "Live in New York City" (2011) is on both Netflix and Amazon Prime. All three are hilarious, and I highly recommend them. He's also a writer for my favorite radio show, Live From Here with Chris Thile, where he performs a weekly segment called "Out in America."

He's not a cutting-edge comedy darling like John Mulaney (although he's an excellent storyteller like him), and he might not be as mainstream and lovable as Jim Gaffigan (although that's who Papa is most like, stylistically). He's not a cool hipster like Kyle Kinane or an earnest nerd like Patton Oswalt -- he's more of a world-weary dad with an edge, but he doesn't have a mean streak and doesn't punch down like so many other comics.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I love Tom Papa. A great “funny guy” with no real deeper motive than just being kind of a silly guy. Too bad he’s with Fortune Feimster on their podcast. They had back to back episodes on this really good comedy podcast, The Last Laugh with Matt Wilstein, and I really listened to her whole interview and watched her Netflix half hour and I just don’t think she is funny at all. Tom Papa is great and everybody he works with loves him.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I love Tom Papa. A great “funny guy” with no real deeper motive than just being kind of a silly guy. Too bad he’s with Fortune Feimster on their podcast. They had back to back episodes on this really good comedy podcast, The Last Laugh with Matt Wilstein, and I really listened to her whole interview and watched her Netflix half hour and I just don’t think she is funny at all. Tom Papa is great and everybody he works with loves him.

I can't stand Fortune Feimster. I've never found her funny at all, but clearly plenty of people do. That's a weird pairing, her and Papa.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Instagram definitely wants me to look at her and laugh that's for fuckin sure

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tom's the comedian who does the Motel 6 ads, right?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tom's the comedian who does the Motel 6 ads, right?

That's Tom Bodett.
https://tedium.co/2018/02/20/tom-bodett-motel-6-history/

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Does anyone know Tom Papa? He just released a new Netflix special: "You're Doing Great." His earlier special "Freaked Out" (2013) is on Amazon Prime, and "Live in New York City" (2011) is on both Netflix and Amazon Prime. All three are hilarious, and I highly recommend them. He's also a writer for my favorite radio show, Live From Here with Chris Thile, where he performs a weekly segment called "Out in America."

He's not a cutting-edge comedy darling like John Mulaney (although he's an excellent storyteller like him), and he might not be as mainstream and lovable as Jim Gaffigan (although that's who Papa is most like, stylistically). He's not a cool hipster like Kyle Kinane or an earnest nerd like Patton Oswalt -- he's more of a world-weary dad with an edge, but he doesn't have a mean streak and doesn't punch down like so many other comics.

You know what? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say

The Marriage Ref was good

The worst part by far was the celebrity guests who had to try to be funny and fall flat, but the premise was decent, Tom Papa was a good host, and that show could have been decent if it went on for longer.

Also that Tom Papa is usually a good guest on JRE or whatever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

piratepilates posted:

You know what? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say

The Marriage Ref was good

The worst part by far was the celebrity guests who had to try to be funny and fall flat, but the premise was decent, Tom Papa was a good host, and that show could have been decent if it went on for longer.

Also that Tom Papa is usually a good guest on JRE or whatever.

I don't know what either of those things are, but will research them.

EDIT: That's a big YIKES x2.

EDIT: Papa used to open for Seinfeld? That's one of those times when the opener is way better than the headliner.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I don't know what either of those things are, but will research them.

EDIT: That's a big YIKES x2.

EDIT: Papa used to open for Seinfeld? That's one of those times when the opener is way better than the headliner.

Well maybe I should mention I haven't seen the marriage ref in almost a decade and it may not hold up to my 21 year old opinion of it.