Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Ruflux posted:

Looks like Nick's troubled-rear end forever production Glitch Techs is finally getting dumped on Netflix later this month, February 21 to be specific:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1KxIfcd8dI

I gotta say, I like the animation so far even if the clips chosen for the trailer aren't exactly the best. But with how the show's production was frozen about a year ago before any season two episodes were finished, I really gotta wonder what the point of even releasing this show is. I kind of doubt Viacom or Netflix are actually interested in uncanceling the show and from what I've seen on Twitter, the showrunners aren't particularly optimistic either.

one thing interesting about Glitch Techs is that it appears to basically be a sister show to Rise of the TMNT: there's some staff overlap between the two at nickelodeon, and the overseas studios on Glitch Techs are Flying Bark Productions (the australian studio that animates Rise of the TMNT) and Studio 100 Animation (Flying Bark's sister studio in France)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ruflux posted:

Looks like Nick's troubled-rear end forever production Glitch Techs is finally getting dumped on Netflix later this month, February 21 to be specific:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1KxIfcd8dI

I gotta say, I like the animation so far even if the clips chosen for the trailer aren't exactly the best. But with how the show's production was frozen about a year ago before any season two episodes were finished, I really gotta wonder what the point of even releasing this show is. I kind of doubt Viacom or Netflix are actually interested in uncanceling the show and from what I've seen on Twitter, the showrunners aren't particularly optimistic either.

There's probably some obligation to release it in some form, even if it's basically DOA. Like when Cartoon Network was going to write off Beware the Batman, so they just dumped all of their unaired episodes in a Toonami marathon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Having a show that seems to be about how great it is to clean up after a megacorporation's dangerous mistakes, up to and including mind-wiping the victims, is... weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Stories about magical secret worlds that need to be kept secret from the public at large are kinda weird in general.

I think Men in Black was the first one to do muggle mindwiping, and it was directly derived from horrifying conspiracy theories that writers decided made for some fun jokes. The 90s were weird.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Stories about magical secret worlds that need to be kept secret from the public at large are kinda weird in general.

I think Men in Black was the first one to do muggle mindwiping, and it was directly derived from horrifying conspiracy theories that writers decided made for some fun jokes. The 90s were weird.

Maybe they were the first to do it on a large scale, but the Drew siblings in The Dark Is Rising series get mind-wiped after they finish saving the world from evil.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A couple of Doctor Who companions got their memories of their time with the Doctor wiped back in 1969.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
reminder that MiB's two holiday episodes (Xmas and Halloween) both have a non alien things happen and they just roll with it / dont adress it at all.

Also Santa goes above their clearence level. (but he still uses a hyper sonic jet sled from the Elf planet)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's the absolute best way to handle a holiday episode; MIB admits they have no idea what Santa's deal is, though he does employ aliens, and they keep in touch and help him out because he's cool.

Also, J sees how Santa delivers all those presents, though he doesn't say anything about it, apparently it's... intense.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Question, is there a thread for The Owl House yet or is it discussed on here? I have some posts and questions about some things relating to the show, but don't want to derail(which might happen based on one of the questions).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gofrit, dude. :justpost:

I don't know if the Owl House will end up being able to support its own thread anyways.

PhazonLink posted:

reminder that MiB's two holiday episodes (Xmas and Halloween) both have a non alien things happen and they just roll with it / dont adress it at all.

Also Santa goes above their clearence level. (but he still uses a hyper sonic jet sled from the Elf planet)

I love Men in Black, and I especially loved David Warner in it, but if you dig up the original comic, it is some severe stuff that illustrates how bad and horrible everything about it is.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't know if the Owl House will end up being able to support its own thread anyways.

I love Men in Black, and I especially loved David Warner in it, but if you dig up the original comic, it is some severe stuff that illustrates how bad and horrible everything about it is.

Oh no I didn't mean to start a thread(at least not yet unless no one goes for it). But yeah I'll repost my thoughts.

Ok caught up on the episodes so time to unpack.

The Abomination episode was good and while Ammity was being needlessly catty and condescending, she WAS right about the cheating and the episode made some distinction that she took witchcraft seriously and not just to rub it into people's faces. The fact that Luz got outed as a human likely means that Ammitty was let off so that point is done.

The next two episodes made it clear that humans can't do magic due to lacking innate mana like Magi-humans have which means that they can't cast magic from personal mana reserves and instead need to draw from around them and cast magic via alternate means, in this case sigils.

I was gonna call the stuff with Eda and her sister based on the translated codes, but decided not to thinking spoilers since I wasn't sure when she'd show up based on seeing her in a preview. The designs and attitudes between them are pure Ryoko and Ayeka from the Tenchi series especially their designs in their hair and their attitudes where they're both incredibly catty and mean to each other with all the maturity of HS kids, but deep down DO care about each other.

The stuff with Ammity was great this episode where it's made clear that witchcraft to her is a VERY serious and deeply personal and emotional project and her enmity and resentment towards Luz is do to her lax attitude towards magic as a sort of identity hobby with some very obvious parallels to Diana and Akko from Little Witch Academia.

I'm legitimately looking forward to more since the show seems to be finding it's legs now and am interested more in the lore about how covers work, why you can only use one type of magic when joining, the Emperor's Coven with their blatantly evil looking Griffith Helmets and why they're the exception, how magic works, and more on Eda in general.

If there's one criticism I have, it's the rather overt focus on institutional learning being bad(at least according to Eda)which I'm hoping gets somewhat challenged since it misses the point of why these places come into being in the first place and the whole individuality thing given that Luz is a nice girl, but the stuff she did in school would have gotten her straight up expelled and was legitimately dangerous. I think these things would have been better done a different way in my opinion.

Forgot to add, love the series, but I'm actually incredibly worried and nervous for it in similar ways to Star vs and GF due to the network. The world feels incredibly big like in Star vs an at full length, I'm sure that they'll explore the hell out of it, I'm just not sure if just two seasons will be enough even if it's 20 full length episodes. Like, if Eda's curse gets lifted by seasons end...where to next? Like yeah Luz still trains and learns, but I'd love to see this road show go on for a good while and we know how Disney does things.

I also loved that it was made clear that both Eda andd Lilith are equals in terms of skill and power plus I loved the sneak attack that Eda pulled when she brought up the curse.

The potential derail question was if anyone knew if knew if Molly Ostertag was a good writer since she's one of the writers and one of the only things I know her from is her art in Strong Female Protagonist which cursory overview does not build confidence.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 8, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The MIB movies and show kinda sidestep the whole ethics of the masquerade deal by instead showing a logical consequence of such a setup: an entire planet where aliens don't officially exist is the perfect place for aliens to hide, an apolitical neutral zone in the middle of massive and dangerous galactic politics and wars, and most of the MIBs jobs is to resettle and protect fugitives in something resembling the Witness Protection Program. The MIB are as likely to protect aliens from humans and from other aliens as they are to protect humans from aliens, and avoiding collateral damage is an extremely important part of their job, to the point of providing compensation for property damage and cover stories to cause minimal disruption to witnesses.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a reason the movies and cartoon mostly ignore anything from the comic outside of some of the most basic details(indeed it's kinda obvious that it was basically a Starship Troopers situation where an unrelated script is given a more catchy name by buying the rights to something)

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Having a show that seems to be about how great it is to clean up after a megacorporation's dangerous mistakes, up to and including mind-wiping the victims, is... weird.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Apparently MiB was actually an influence on the show, according to some fanmade QA session anyway. In any case I suspect Glitch Techs' premise is definitely more of a fun setup for an action cartoon that provides opportunity for interesting shenanigans than a genuine social commentary. Which I think is fine because not every cartoon needs to work on real world logic. If this show keeps going I expect a typical turnaround where the leads realize what they and the company are doing is very scummy and they end up turning on 'em.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MIB also flips the script in that it's humanity being protected from a powerful and uncaring universe where they're otherwise the equivalent of an uncontacted tribe. Basically a self imposed Prime Directive.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

<Owl House stuff>

The season seems like it would naturally draw to a close with the end of the six weeks Luz is supposed to be at camp. I have a feeling they're going to try to bookend it with Luz' mother, at least. After that... eh? It could go places.

Lilith as Ayeka isn't as strong as Eda as Ryouko, but it's certainly there.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

doomrider7 posted:

The potential derail question was if anyone knew if knew if Molly Ostertag was a good writer since she's one of the writers and one of the only things I know her from is her art in Strong Female Protagonist which cursory overview does not build confidence.

I'm pretty sure Ostertag did the art of that webcomic and some other dude did the writing (which for those of you who don't know started out interesting and fell apart as it chased ideas to their natural conclusion and found that they didn't really have anything to say). I doubt Disney would allow for the subject matter that led to SFP sinking anyway. And I'm happy for Ostertag, it's always neat to see online artists make it into high-profile jobs.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'm pretty sure Ostertag did the art of that webcomic and some other dude did the writing (which for those of you who don't know started out interesting and fell apart as it chased ideas to their natural conclusion and found that they didn't really have anything to say). I doubt Disney would allow for the subject matter that led to SFP sinking anyway. And I'm happy for Ostertag, it's always neat to see online artists make it into high-profile jobs.

Her art is nice and I agree about the high profile thing. The webcomic was one of the absolute worst I've had to sift through hence the worry.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just wanna say that Rapunzel's probably gonna end the Tangled series with severe trust issues given everyone in her life has betrayed her at some point except for her biological mother. Her father and Mother Gothel both sealed her in a tower against her will, Cassandra stole the moonstone, Varian kidnapped her mother, and Eugene tried to impede her progress for the moonstone. Certainly now she's back on good terms with most of those people, but the fact that it happened probably has had it's toll.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Weirdly the author of SFP, Brennan Lee Mulligan, is super funny in other contexts. (He DMed College Humor’s Dimension 20 and is great at it) It’s like SFP just dragged down the people associated with it

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Just wanna say that Rapunzel's probably gonna end the Tangled series with severe trust issues given everyone in her life has betrayed her at some point except for her biological mother. Her father and Mother Gothel both sealed her in a tower against her will, Cassandra stole the moonstone, Varian kidnapped her mother, and Eugene tried to impede her progress for the moonstone. Certainly now she's back on good terms with most of those people, but the fact that it happened probably has had it's toll.

TBF, with Varian at least it was her own fault that he ended up betraying her, given that she essentially betrayed him first. Something which she doesn't seem to have fully understood or acknowledged. I'd say Cass was partially her fault too considering what happened in the Great Tree.

My hope is that Cass gets her free will back but doesn't give Raps the Moonstone and they actually have to resolve that in a way that keeps both of them on the same level but together. I'm a bit miffed that they took her agency away like that after how amazing Crossing the Line was.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Did she get betrayed by Flynn Rider, her chameleon, and all those bar patrons too?

Zeeman posted:

Weirdly the author of SFP, Brennan Lee Mulligan, is super funny in other contexts. (He DMed College Humor’s Dimension 20 and is great at it) It’s like SFP just dragged down the people associated with it

I think it's mostly that the comic was started with the premise of being politically relevant or philosophically provocative and then very quickly either ran out of ideas or lost the gut to say anything big, and when he tried to step back from that to have the story to be character-driven instead, it turned out that all the characters were very shallow and uninteresting. Those all in involve fairly different skills from comedy, although I'm just taking it on your authority that he's actually funny.

I don't know if there's any excuse for the art beyond just phoning it in.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did she get betrayed by Flynn Rider, her chameleon, and all those bar patrons too?

Good point mostly, but Eugene did briefly work against her thinking that she was getting herself into a dangerous position in the Dark Kingdom.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My basic take on Strong Female Protagonist was that it was meant to be a superhero story where superpowers are used as a metaphor for various forms of privilege, which was perfectly workable as a premise… only then Trump got elected and people started having to seriously re-examine their thoughts on the topic, and the story fell apart because its base axioms got remodeled under it.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Why does Tangled skip from episode 1 to episode 4 on Disney+? Is this a weird production order thing where Before Ever After is technically episodes 2 and 3 or something?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cattail Prophet posted:

Why does Tangled skip from episode 1 to episode 4 on Disney+? Is this a weird production order thing where Before Ever After is technically episodes 2 and 3 or something?

I think they just dump them on there without thinking, Ducktales old and new are the same way.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
They're making a Neopets animated series.

https://kidscreen.com/2020/02/10/beach-house-pictures-adopts-neopets/

The production company they mention here only makes pre-k-level stuff so the end product is probably not going to be of much interest to this thread but man it's wild to me that they're making this now. Neopets was my introduction to forums and internet culture, like, 17 or 18 years ago, I had no idea it was still a thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pakled posted:

They're making a Neopets animated series.

https://kidscreen.com/2020/02/10/beach-house-pictures-adopts-neopets/

The production company they mention here only makes pre-k-level stuff so the end product is probably not going to be of much interest to this thread but man it's wild to me that they're making this now. Neopets was my introduction to forums and internet culture, like, 17 or 18 years ago, I had no idea it was still a thing.

Do scientologists still own Neopets?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Yeah, that was also my first and only Internet forum for a few years. The game economy was a little messed up because you can get the most points by buying items from the NPC shops that are purposefully highly underpriced, putting at an advantage whoever spends the most time refreshing pages and having the fastest Internet connection, and there were ads in a lot of the games. It was all part of some Scientologist business plan for maximizing site "stickiness". The annual storylines with puzzles were fun, though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Not anymore. The Chinese do now. :v:

The original creators sold it to some investors who sold it to Viacom who sold it to JumpStart who was bought by Chinese company NetDragon but is still called JumpStart.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Xelkelvos posted:

Some googling tells me that hasn't been the case since the company was sold to Viacom in 2005 (and it's since been sold off to some Chinese company)

e: beaten like a dog

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

galenanorth posted:

Yeah, that was also my first and only Internet forum for a few years. The game economy was a little messed up because you can get the most points by buying items from the NPC shops that are purposefully highly underpriced, putting at an advantage whoever spends the most time refreshing pages and having the fastest Internet connection, and there were ads in a lot of the games. It was all part of some Scientologist business plan for maximizing site "stickiness". The annual storylines with puzzles were fun, though.

In college I wrote a bunch of programs that would play all the games for some AI class (very few of them required any AI though, just like, precalculated path finding and stuff) and I always ran them to get the second highest score on the leaderboards. On the premise I'd get caught if I cheated to first place but neopets would never catch on if I was second place.

So if anyone reading was consistently third place on like that game where you had to move a stick or get "electrocuted" and can blame me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I thought that the latest episode of Tangled was a bit silly, because even with how raw she feels about being abandoned in favour of Raps, the idea that Gothel may have actually had some genuine love for her doesn't really change anything. Regardless she still abandoned her and put her own health first by stealing Rapunzel. It's not like it was her idea to be sequestered in that tower for 18 years. It just kind of makes Cass look like a total idiot more than anything else.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I dunno, I figure that Zhan Tiri had been pushing the whole "Mommy loved Rapunzel more than you" angle long enough that Cass getting confirmation that Gothel DID love her (even if she didn't actually...) would make her madder because now she knows that she lost actual love and not just a mother who barely tolerated her.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It would be great if Eugene was the one to start her journey back to not being an rear end in a top hat, simply by pointing out the obvious flaws in her logic. Just "So you're blaming a baby for getting kidnapped? Wow, I thought you were an idiot before!"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Tangled:
The storyboard artist for the "Nothing Left to Lose" scene posted the storyboard on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B76Z8oajIdS/

To quote her on twitter (first reply for context)

https://twitter.com/thejakeneutron/status/1222094777098948609

https://twitter.com/banannerbread/status/1222251383027404801

Here's a whole twitter thread about it by the artist:
https://twitter.com/banannerbread/status/1222301059546144768

Senerio fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 14, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just picked up vol. 1 of Invader Zim on dvd for $1. :toot: That can replace the one I lent out about 12 years ago from the house box set and never got back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm watching some of the old Teen Titans on CN's marathon and it makes me realize how much I miss when shows had theme songs. Like, I know they still do, but nowadays they're so much shorter (and in some stuff like all the recent Disney Marvel cartoons, nonexistent).

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 16, 2020

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I'm watching some of the old Teen Titans on CN's marathon and it makes me realize how much I miss when shows had theme songs. Like, I know they still do, but nowadays they're so much shorter (and in some stuff like all the recent Disney Marvel cartoons, nonexistent).

Theme songs are just an excuse for showmakers to make less show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's a whole minute thirty seconds we could be running ads in.