Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I still find it kinda silly that US Survivor has been staying in Fiji for years to save costs but their challenge budget looks way worse than Australian Survivor.

US has better editing, but that is about the only thing I think they do better these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Does US Survivor have the better editing? I'm not so sure really. I really like how much Australian Survivor shows of the Survivors just doing camp life stuff. And then this season, there is a tribal council, where they edited the whole episode to actually support the outcome. Didn't do the A or B is the target all episode, but C goes home.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Yeah AUS is flat out better these days. Even down to JLP being a better host. He's a bit janky when he tries to mimmick Probst tho, I wish he'd commit to his own gags.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I still find it kinda silly that US Survivor has been staying in Fiji for years to save costs but their challenge budget looks way worse than Australian Survivor.

US has better editing, but that is about the only thing I think they do better these days.

I can't say for a season longs worth of editing leading up to a conclusion, but the first half dozen or so eps I watched of Aus Survivor last season... it blew US production out of the water. Each contestant got like an individual epic slow mo highlight to introduce them. In Survivor we're lucky to get a 10 second montage of vague b-roll of the contestant.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

Pony: Yul
Poison: Bawstun Rawb

Hell ya, gently caress Rob. Also nice username/post combo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AUS has more enjoyable editing (camp life, etc.) but the airtime can also be horribly skewed - someone got eliminated last season with no confessionals at all, and it's not like she was a very early boot, I think she was sixth out or something.

There is also very noticeable splicing for confessionals, and very obvious 'yes, this person/tribe is gonna win the challenge' music.

So yeah, AUS has the better editing as far as enjoying the season goes, but the technique is a bit choppier.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

There is also very noticeable splicing for confessionals, and very obvious 'yes, this person/tribe is gonna win the challenge' music.

I haven't watched AUS but I find it hard to believe they are worse about this than the US version. It is really bad.

If there are two people left in an endurance challenge and one is wobbly and the other is rock solid then 9 times out of 10 the rock solid person will fall out of nowhere

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Does US Survivor have the better editing? I'm not so sure really. I really like how much Australian Survivor shows of the Survivors just doing camp life stuff. And then this season, there is a tribal council, where they edited the whole episode to actually support the outcome. Didn't do the A or B is the target all episode, but C goes home.

I bet US Survivor has a lot of fingers in the pie taking a cut.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I’m gonna go with

Pony: Natalie
Poison: Sarah

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Murmur Twin posted:

I’m gonna go with

Pony: Natalie
Poison: Sarah

:hmmyes:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Jose Valasquez posted:

I haven't watched AUS but I find it hard to believe they are worse about this than the US version. It is really bad.

If there are two people left in an endurance challenge and one is wobbly and the other is rock solid then 9 times out of 10 the rock solid person will fall out of nowhere

It's actually incredibly obvious, but it doesn't make the challenges less exciting. Their challenge department blows US out of the water.

AUS also really, really loves dramatic music.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Yeah, I've been enjoying the AUS version much more than what the US show has been serving recently (although I did like season 38 until it became the Rick Devens Show followed by the absurd finale). I've seen the opinion floated that Probst is a great host but terrible executive producer and I agree with it wholeheartedly, if S40 turns out great it's going to be in spite of the avalanche of twists and gimmicks, not because of it (see also, DvG). On the bright side I think this cast is strong enough to provide good entertainment despite Probst's best efforts.

I'd really love it for Sandra to win but that's obviously not happening, so

Pony: Denise
Poison: Rob

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I’m really curious about the fire tokens. I think it should be like a prison commissary, but I bet it will be more like auction stuff.

Poison Parvati
Pony Ethan

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jose Valasquez posted:

It actually just makes since that this would naturally happen though. The person wobbling and struggling is actually focused on whatever endurance task they are trying to achieve.

The person that is steady and looks like they won't budge, they are the ones that will lose focus. And most of the endurance challenges are pretty much, lose focus for 2 seconds and you're out.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I haven't watched survivor in at least 6 or 7 seasons but I'm sorely tempted to come back for this one. Really pissed off they didn't bring Cochran back though.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

The Lord Bude posted:

I haven't watched survivor in at least 6 or 7 seasons but I'm sorely tempted to come back for this one. Really pissed off they didn't bring Cochran back though.

Both spoiler sources and Probst have said that they asked Cochran and he declined, probably because he figured he'd be an early boot

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Both spoiler sources and Probst have said that they asked Cochran and he declined, probably because he figured he'd be an early boot

At least they asked I guess. Still disappointing but I half expected that would be the case. Hopefully he'll be on Rob has a podcast at least.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I’m personally sad that Fabio didn’t come back, him derping his way into a second win would have ruled.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

He basically played a perfect game. Good for him -- go out on a high note rather than ruin your legacy.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Didn't really even feel like watching the last few seasons, but I do love this season's concept. Hopefully it's just as good as Heroes vs. Villains but that's pretty high to shoot for.

Pony: Rob
Poison: Kim

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Someday, I too, will become the next sole Survivor

Pony: Sandra
Poison: Tyson

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

I’m personally sad that Fabio didn’t come back, him derping his way into a second win would have ruled.

Haha yesss Fabio is still one of the most satisfying winners.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Fabio is basically the perfect winner for what a clusterfuck of a season Nicaragua was.

Like holy hell what even was that?

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
A season wherein the losing finalist villain (Sash) was less likable than the girl who quit and wanted to vote someone off BECAUSE SHE LOST A LEG

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Starting tomorrow, are there more or less Survivor seasons than there are years you have lived? Of the years you have lived, what percentage of them have been years where you intentionally watched Survivor? How many times have you thought about trying to get on, have you ever actually tried? In one number, how would you express your feelings about Survivor?

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

Khanstant posted:

Pony: Parvati. Seasons with her around are just more fun.

Poison: Adam, whose super power is being annoying even while crying for legitimately sympathetic situations.

these are my votes also. I am super excited for tonight

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Khanstant posted:

Starting tomorrow, are there more or less Survivor seasons than there are years you have lived? Of the years you have lived, what percentage of them have been years where you intentionally watched Survivor? How many times have you thought about trying to get on, have you ever actually tried? In one number, how would you express your feelings about Survivor?

More.
33%
Once, I am submitting a tape within the next year

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Season 40 starts tonight! AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

US Survivor needs to take the team endurance immunity challenges from Australian Survivor. They pretty much always turn into fun challenges to watch.

Also, season 40 baby! Sandra three time champ lets go.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

US Survivor needs to take the team endurance immunity challenges from Australian Survivor. They pretty much always turn into fun challenges to watch.

Lydia beasting right there is so badass.

What US Survivor needs is David Genat.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

Wanted to apply in the early seasons but Canadians were not allowed.
Before Survivor, Mark Burnett produced the Discovery Eco-Challenge, which was an insanely difficult adventure race through harsh terrain, and I applied to be on the support crew but the series was discontinued.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

they have definitely done team endurance challenges in the past but gosh it's been a while since the last one because I can't actually remember when it was

I feel like one of the seasons with Brandon Hantz had one though.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Khanstant posted:

More
54%
No way I like food too much and I’m a hermit

010010010010000001101100011011110111011001100101001000000111010001101000011010010111001100100000011001000111010101101101011000100010000001110011011010000110111101110111

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

If she makes it to merge it's a done deal :gritin:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

Wanted to apply in the early seasons but Canadians were not allowed.
Before Survivor, Mark Burnett produced the Discovery Eco-Challenge, which was an insanely difficult adventure race through harsh terrain, and I applied to be on the support crew but the series was discontinued.

That's actually surprising to me. I'm pretty sure even the President of the US is technically allowed to be a Canadian. I also would've assumed every third player was a Canadian, just going off of movies and TV where I think it's mandated every other actor be Canadian.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Pony: Michele. I could see her making it through as all the personalities take each other out, plus it would piss off everyone again.
Poison: Tony. He's fun to watch but just too much.

A coworker and I are rooting for Ethan but he probably won't make it too far in this environment. He did remind me I want to rewatch Africa, Australia and China because I wish they'd move around Survivor more to shake things up. I'm surprised they haven't just built an island at a lot in LA at this point.

Khanstant posted:

Poison: Adam, whose super power is being annoying even while crying for legitimately sympathetic situations.

I'm curious to see if I like him more without Survivor milking his situation for everything they can.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

bagrada posted:

A coworker and I are rooting for Ethan but he probably won't make it too far in this environment. He did remind me I want to rewatch Africa, Australia and China because I wish they'd move around Survivor more to shake things up. I'm surprised they haven't just built an island at a lot in LA at this point.

You mean you guys don't want the two amazing non-Fiji seasons of Gabon and Nicaragua?!?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

SweetJahasus posted:

You mean you guys don't want the two amazing non-Fiji seasons of Gabon and Nicaragua?!?

The three I mentioned were just the first three to come to mind. I've seen every season as they aired, minus an episode or two here and there. The only season I've rewatched so far is the first one. At this point they're all jumbled together in my head and if you showed me a cast I'd be hard pressed to guess if they were from four years ago or fourteen.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Australian survivor is so much better. Better challenges, better contestants, better host. Does seem like idols rain from the sky but at least this season they’ve been used interestingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

This is ancient news but I just found out Kel from Survivor S2 probably did have beef jerky and it wasn't a crazy witch hunt. They edited it into the "Jerri is an rear end in a top hat!" plot even though everyone in the cast and Probst thought it was true.

According to Varner...back when he was liked and known for being screwed by the weird tie-breaker where previous votes against you counted.

quote:

Kel was totally eating beef jerky. Totally. And here's why I know that. (1) He got caught in front of all of us smuggling beef jerky into customs in Australia. We all stood there and watched as dogs and officers took it from his suitcase. (2) pregame, his bunk was across from mine in another room. I watched him sew the hem of his shorts one day. He saw me watching him and he reached up and closed the door. (3) He tried to smuggle in a 2nd pair of shoes on game day after they had already cleared our bags. So they made us all stop, take everything out and go through another inspection and made it clear in front of everyone it was because of Kel.

That bitch smuggled beef jerky in the hem of his shorts and got caught eating it. Bottom line.