Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

If you don't already know about it, I have a feeling you two might enjoy this youtube channel. (Sadly, it looks like it hasn't updated in a while.)

This is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Vavrek posted:

Math stuff

I have an Anthropology degree (lol), so I love thinking about the continuous line of technology, starting from stone tools, fire, clay pots....leading up to refined metals and basic chemistry...keep going and it's metalworking leading to more and more precise tools, with better alloys and better steel, and slowly machines and early physical computing became possible...from there it accelerates, with electronics and computing, and becomes more granular with chips making better chips, and goes far off into more theoretical technologies. Obviously math is the backbone of all this, so you see a unit like that differential equation machine and I start imagining scientists streamlining processes with it, turning out data, enacting plans and designs, but I just don't know what specifically it was used for.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

early physical computing became possible...from there it accelerates

because the salvage from the Roswell crash made possible the quantum leap in technology from vacuum tubes and diodes to the silicon wafer transistor

:tinfoil:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

because the salvage from the Roswell crash made possible the quantum leap in technology from vacuum tubes and diodes to the silicon wafer transistor

:tinfoil:

Lol, imagine if they pulled some alien tech from a visitor in 1930 and it was the equivalent of an iphone 5, and apple just can't ever seem to surpass it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

LifeSunDeath posted:

but I just don't know what specifically it was used for.

Ah! OK, I think I misunderstood the original question. Here's my attempt at answering:

I think the most useful applications are in trying to describe/model physical processes with multiple variables and those which change over time at an uneven rate, especially if you have multiple systems. In other words, where calculus is absolutely required. The examples I've seen mentioned around are of the "weight on a spring" or "projectile motion" nature. The former could describe any number of mechanical problems, like modeling behaviour of structures (e.g. bridges) or mechanical devices (e.g. car suspension). Of course the latter would be used for military purposes, namely to calculate missile trajectories (like mentioned in the Navy video upthread).

Turns out YouTube has an example of an analog computer being programmed to solve the projectile motion problem. i.e. you throw an object of weight W from a height of X at an angle of Y and speed Z and want to know where it lands. I queued up the video to display the solution only (the first 15 minutes aren't all that thrilling) which is extra neat because the oscilloscope he attached as the output device literally plots the projectile trajectory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tOA8Fo6b7A&t=888s

The one he's solving is kind of a Physics 101 problem, but you can imagine that adding more and more variables and changes would complicate thing real quick. I don't know if computers like these could've been used to model and prevent the conditions which led to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge going for a swim for example, but... maybe?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Trabant posted:

Ah! OK, I think I misunderstood the original question. Here's my attempt at answering:

I think the most useful applications are in trying to describe/model physical processes with multiple variables and those which change over time at an uneven rate, especially if you have multiple systems. In other words, where calculus is absolutely required. The examples I've seen mentioned around are of the "weight on a spring" or "projectile motion" nature. The former could describe any number of mechanical problems, like modeling behaviour of structures (e.g. bridges) or mechanical devices (e.g. car suspension). Of course the latter would be used for military purposes, namely to calculate missile trajectories (like mentioned in the Navy video upthread).

Turns out YouTube has an example of an analog computer being programmed to solve the projectile motion problem. i.e. you throw an object of weight W from a height of X at an angle of Y and speed Z and want to know where it lands. I queued up the video to display the solution only (the first 15 minutes aren't all that thrilling) which is extra neat because the oscilloscope he attached as the output device literally plots the projectile trajectory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tOA8Fo6b7A&t=888s

The one he's solving is kind of a Physics 101 problem, but you can imagine that adding more and more variables and changes would complicate thing real quick. I don't know if computers like these could've been used to model and prevent the conditions which led to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge going for a swim for example, but... maybe?

Thanks, that makes sense. Reminds me, I had this in highschool (literally asked for it for xmas to stunt on this one nerd in my chemistry class who also had one), and had zero use for it. I ended up getting the same nerd to install some asteroids type game on it. Luckily I was able to sell it off in college for like 100 bux.

the keyboard and d-pad were great though, you could enter all your notes in there, and the dpad was useful for the few games.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

LifeSunDeath posted:

I have an Anthropology degree (lol), so I love thinking about the continuous line of technology, starting from stone tools, fire, clay pots....leading up to refined metals and basic chemistry...keep going and it's metalworking leading to more and more precise tools, with better alloys and better steel, and slowly machines and early physical computing became possible...

I think it's come up in this thread before, but you might be interested in Clickspring's videos about the Antikythera Mechanism. The main series covers his efforts to reproduce the device, starting from brass stock. The companion series focuses on his speculation about the methods and tools the original makers might have used.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

Thanks, that makes sense. Reminds me, I had this in highschool (literally asked for it for xmas to stunt on this one nerd in my chemistry class who also had one), and had zero use for it. I ended up getting the same nerd to install some asteroids type game on it. Luckily I was able to sell it off in college for like 100 bux.

the keyboard and d-pad were great though, you could enter all your notes in there, and the dpad was useful for the few games.

These things were loving awesome! We had a bunch in our advanced maths classes in highschool. I was so jazzed when I got one that had games installed on it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Vavrek posted:

(There's boolean algebra, which is like algebra if you got rid of all the numbers except for two of them and also ignored fractions and square roots.)

I feel a sudden need to work on K-maps

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nocheez posted:

These things were loving awesome! We had a bunch in our advanced maths classes in highschool. I was so jazzed when I got one that had games installed on it.

When I graduated these were banned on all of the AP tests

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

I think it's come up in this thread before, but you might be interested in Clickspring's videos about the Antikythera Mechanism. The main series covers his efforts to reproduce the device, starting from brass stock. The companion series focuses on his speculation about the methods and tools the original makers might have used.
Oh I've seen all the clickspring stuff, its incredible. Youtube has been great for my passive interest in science and technologies. Also the chemistry and aeronautical fail threads on these forums are wonderful.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Plinkey posted:

Same, but they were fantastic at teaching higher level maths due to the ease of use. Just a much better calc than the TI-8x.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Goddamn I loved my TI Game Gear. Being able to do symbolic/indefinite integrals was a game changer and saved my rear end a hundred times. The exam would still require me to actually show my work, but at least I knew right away if I got the wrong answer.

I still have the thing somewhere, but I'm almost certainly out of the 4 AA batteries needed to run it...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess basic graphic calculators have gotten advanced enough that college calculus classes don't allow them anymore. In Calculus II, my professor had a calculator section at the end. For Calculus I, III, and Differential Equations, it was all done by hand. But that usually meant it was easier. The numbers were easier to work with so you could tell if you were doing it right, so it was mostly about knowing the procedures, and not about getting fuckoff crazy numbers. The only time I really got to use my calculator with any of this stuff was in my circuits class. Even then, we didn't really do much calculus. The book would show how you do to calculus to get down to the differential equation and then you just solve a simplified version of that. I was mostly just using linear algebra and my calculators complex number functions. Calculus seems to be most useful when you're doing actual science, engineering seems to usually find a way to make it more simple so you can just get on with it.

For me, Calculus didn't really seem to have a good use until I took Physics. And in a way, physics didn't make much sense until after I took calculus. Before I took calculus, physics just had these equations you have to remember and they didn't seem to have any connection. Then I realized that position, velocity, and acceleration are all just derivatives/integrals of each other. Then it all clicked. If you have starting values and an acceleration, you can figure out where something is. If you have the position equation, you can also find its velocity and acceleration at any point in time. If you have an equation that tells you the speed of an object over time, you can integrate it and it gives you the distance traveled. This stuff all seemed super advanced and impossible to understand before I learned it, but only the underlying concepts are hard to understand. Once you know what you're doing, you can do most generic calculus in your head. Mind blown.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Explosionface posted:

I feel a sudden need to work on K-maps

One of my favorite little moments hanging out in the electrical/computer engineering student lounge: guy comes over, is clearly bored and full of energy, chatting with a few other people. Suddenly:

"Did you know a TI-89 can solve K-maps?"
"What."

Conversation within earshot stops as he shows where to find it in the menus. It's a built-in program that none of us knew was there. (In my case because I had a TI-83.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was helping my kid with quadratic functions last night and I couldn't even remember how to make a power of 2 exponent on my laptop keyboard as I tried to see Wolfram Alpha would save me from admitting I couldn't remember any of this. She then told me to just use PhotoMath, but I had already tried that and I still couldn't get a valid answer.

A hardware graphing calculator would have come in handy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You just use the carat thing 3^2

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Plinkey posted:

If I remember correctly, they banned "Calculators with Keyboards" instead of just saying "gently caress off with that TI-92 bullshit".

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I haven't tried to confirm it, but I remember my AP statistics teacher telling us that, the first year the TI-83 (or maybe it was the earlier TI-81) was allowed, the exam had really not been calibrated with a calculator like that in mind, and having one basically guaranteed a top score that year.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Cojawfee posted:

For me, Calculus didn't really seem to have a good use until I took Physics. And in a way, physics didn't make much sense until after I took calculus. Before I took calculus, physics just had these equations you have to remember and they didn't seem to have any connection. Then I realized that position, velocity, and acceleration are all just derivatives/integrals of each other. Then it all clicked.
Same. The definition of epiphany.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Fun fact: the good TI calculators used the same Motorola 68k cpu that also powered the Sega Genesis, Commodore Amiga, Atari ST and early Apple Macs.

I actually had a teacher who used to work on analog computers back in the SU. According to him, those were generally more accurate then computations with 8 bit numbers and cheaper/faster then computation with larger word-sizes.

That reminds me, anybody remember the octet? Back in ancient times byte referred to what is called a word these days, and was machine dependent. So telecoms and network people decided to call 8-bits an octet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

You just use the carat thing 3^2

You got me. I ended up doing CTRL + COMMAND + SPACEBAR and then typing exponent in the search bar and I felt progressively stupider at each step. I haven't had to use a special character on a laptop since a German engineer got angry that no one used the ö in his name.

VictualSquid posted:

That reminds me, anybody remember the octet? Back in ancient times byte referred to what is called a word these days, and was machine dependent. So telecoms and network people decided to call 8-bits an octet.

Octets are alive and will never die if you're in networking.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

VictualSquid posted:

Fun fact: the good TI calculators used the same Motorola 68k cpu that also powered the Sega Genesis, Commodore Amiga, Atari ST and early Apple Macs.

You can still buy brand-new SCADA devices (to control aspects of the electric grid, for example) that use a Moto 68k CPU.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VictualSquid posted:

The bad TI calculators used the Z80, same base as the Gameboy.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Y'all making me want to buy this shirt

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/961627-mc68000

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's still an octet in French, too - which is why WD USB disks destined for Europe are marked in both MB and MO. (Yes, megaoctets. Yes, the French are very French.)

As for computer engineering, I've come to consider it most closely related to the discipline of practical engineering that lays out long automatic production lines.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Computer viking posted:

It's still an octet in French, too - which is why WD USB disks destined for Europe are marked in both MB and MO. (Yes, megaoctets. Yes, the French are very French.)

As for computer engineering, I've come to consider it most closely related to the discipline of practical engineering that lays out long automatic production lines.

It's also numérique, not digital. Keeping things French, I always love to bring up the Minitel, a kind of national internet before internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOhK9bgQo8g&t=9s

It functioned like a kind of two-way Teletext and must have been mind-blowing back in its day. You could order train tickets, enroll into university and do your bank stuff from the comfort of your own home. (It also allowed a lot of sex stuff, proving that the French are always gonna French.)

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

RabbitWizard posted:

So, anyone mentioned the Curta before? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curta

It is a hand-cranked calculator. There's an awesome website that has tons of pictures from a disassembly and I don't know much about mechanics but it looks really neat.

If can't output 5318008 it's no use to anyone.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The Furby Gurdy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVBfF_wppWs

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Vavrek posted:

Computers are, uh. Computers are weird and different surprisingly non-mathy? Like, computers are built out of really complicated, continuously varying* analog electronics hardware which is all set up to produce these incredibly simple but reliable devices. One of the ways they're simple is that you don't think about a range of voltages, you just call one voltage HIGH another one LOW, and you make sure HIGH and LOW are far enough apart that the analog electronics respond very differently to each. Then you stop thinking about anything analog and just talk about HIGH and LOW and maybe call them TRUE and FALSE or 0 and 1, and you hook those devices together into a complex machine that's designed to respond in perfectly predictable ways to certain sequences of bits.

There's just ... no calculus involved, you know? There's barely algebra. (There's boolean algebra, which is like algebra if you got rid of all the numbers except for two of them and also ignored fractions and square roots.) I remember arithmetic coming up because I had to design a digital circuit that could add and subtract. (It was an intro class. Multiplication would've been too complicated.) That and adding up how long it took for a signal to get through a device, because all those analog devices this stuff is built out of take time to respond. Computer Engineering / Computer Science is its own weird cool thing that arguably (technically?) could be called a branch of some really abstract high-level mathematics, but the only people who would are mathematicians.

"Mathiness" isn't defined by proximity to differential and integral calculus. Saying computers don't do math because you felt it wasn't very "mathy" to build one of the simplest possible pieces of binary logic is about as reasonable as saying, "oh, electrical stuff isn't hard, I put together a battery and LED once and all you need to know is V=IR. It's all just algebra, right?"

Anyone with a decent bachelors-level education in computer science would instantly agree that computer science is nothing but an applied branch of some high-level theoretical math concepts. The core concepts of the field were worked out from first principles decades before anybody actually built an electronic digital computer. The electronic parts are just a highly refined, complex implementation detail that's still abstracted away when reasoning about the larger system.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It has been said that computer science has as much to do with computers as astronomy does with telescopes.

If anything, I think that overstates the link between computer science and computers.

Astronomy is an observational science. It needs telescopes to gather data and hone hypotheses.

Meanwhile, computer science makes less use of computers than astronomy makes use of computers.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Minidiscs are so gorgeous.

That's all I wanted to say.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Unperson_47 posted:

A good and correct post

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Unperson_47 posted:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah its the coolest looking media format by far

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
CD singles are going to catch on any day now.

EDIT: This was the first one I bought.

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Feb 9, 2020

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Code Jockey posted:

A good and correct post

:hmmyes:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Unperson_47 posted:

The players lasted forever on a single AA battery. Using ATRAC and SonicStage was less fun.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Edit: ignore, wrong thread

Not So Fast has a new favorite as of 08:44 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Not So Fast posted:

BBC News - Labour accuses Keir Starmer campaign team of data breach

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51432440

What the gently caress, Starmer

Is the membership database stored in a Microsoft Access 97 database accessed via an Active Server Pages front end running on Windows NT 4 Server hosted on a dual socket Pentium II machine? If so you posted this in the correct thread :v: