Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Does he perform at least one Picard Maneuver per episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

PostNouveau posted:

just steal it, op

Yeah but I'm too lazy to figure out how

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pneub posted:

Yeah but I'm too lazy to figure out how

The DuckDuckGo search engine does not respond to DMCA takedown requests.

I think getting more specific than that would be :filez: but you can figure it out from there.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I watched TNG for the first time a while back and I finally understood the hype for picard as captain. He was a really cool dude in that series. The rest ist just kind of bad though.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
The one bad guy Romulan's eyes point in two different directions and it weirds me the gently caress out.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I liked the part where Pickard guns down those 2 mechanical gimps with a Tommy gun

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Son of Rodney posted:

I watched TNG for the first time a while back and I finally understood the hype for picard as captain. He was a really cool dude in that series. The rest ist just kind of bad though.

He's no sisko and im only on season 3 of ds9 for the first time

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

He's no sisko and im only on season 3 of ds9 for the first time

yeah, well he killed sisko's wife and made him cry

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

GORDON posted:

I'm really enjoying it, but I have that same GenX nostalgia thing happening. I watched TNG as it aired. I lived through the "Fire," To Be Continued year.

As a kid that moment made me lose my loving mind

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
So how decrepit is Picard in this? By my maths the guy playing him is 140 years old. Does he still look fuckin amazing in uniform?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I do hope that somebody in charge of this thing understands that fate has given us a chance to pit Picard against a captain played by Sir Ian McKellen...

...who he marries during the finale.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Icochet posted:

So how decrepit is Picard in this? By my maths the guy playing him is 140 years old. Does he still look fuckin amazing in uniform?

He got flipped over his desk and then got up and shot a guy so hes doing alright for 94

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Icochet posted:

he still looks fine but his voice is slow and very croaky most of the time. there's no avoiding he's a very old man.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
What kind of beverage does he like and at what temperature?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Management posted:

What kind of beverage does he like and at what temperature?

He likes it decaf now.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Tea, Arizona, iced.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

freckle posted:

yeah, well he killed sisko's wife and made him cry

hell of a power move

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

davidspackage posted:

hell of a power move

You can't make a Best Captain omelette without breaking some eggs

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
The show is good but not great. At least it's not Discovery

It seems like star trek uber nerds hate it. I don't keep up with what's canon, what happened in TNG episode 40, etc. I don't think that affects this show too much

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im enjoying the show. i grew up watching TNG but dont consider myself a hardcore fan. to me it fits in pretty well with the vibe, my main complaint is that the Borg looked better with all their big clunky 90s cyberpunk poo poo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Docahedron posted:

It seems like star trek uber nerds hate it.

Star Trek uber nerds hate everything, especially Star Trek.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
And then all her clothes fall off

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Fallows posted:

I didnt know Romulans could be so hot

The pic of the Romulan above ain't that hot. But the Romulan commander that Spock macked on in TOS was hot as gently caress.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Joanne_Linville

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

It’s alright so far, I really like the TNG cameos and Stewart is making a serious effort. Could live without the JJ Abrams action scenes.

So far they haven’t brought back Section 31 again so that’s a plus. Wish they’d have some DS9 cameos, maybe drop by O’Brien’s engineering classroom.

Wish they’d have mention of the Dominion War, even a quick “we rebuilt this part of starfleet HQ after the Breen Attack.”

Dunno why Romulans needed starfleet help to evacuate their home system from a supernova. They have a large fleet and an empire, just pay the Ferengi to make nonstop flights on space cruise ships.

Tal Shiar a major plot element, no mention they were nearly annihilated in a Dominion trap.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dunno why Romulans needed starfleet help to evacuate their home system from a supernova. They have a large fleet and an empire, just pay the Ferengi to make nonstop flights on space cruise ships.

I got the impression they aren't evacuating the home system - that was destroyed instantly along with most of their shipyards. The evacuation process is for Romulan colonies about to get irradiated in the coming years.

Or something. It feels like no one bothered to agree on any of that.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

So far they haven’t brought back Section 31 again so that’s a plus.

Section 31 is getting its own terrible show.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Game recognizes game when it comes to shiny round things

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

You're all nuts, The Animated Series is the best Star Trek and always will be. In no other series does the crew meet Satan and psychic snailmen, and Yesteryear is the best follow-up (to The City on the Edge of Forever even!) of the entire franchise except maybe Wrath of Khan. If you haven't seen TAS you really owe it to yourself to watch it.

Relevant to the point at hand, Picard was a war criminal who flew a kindergarten into battle every week and shot experimental missiles at everything with no regards to treaties that we know for a fact existed between the Federation and other powers, treaties that are the entire point of three whole movies and multiple story arcs of TNG. But whatever, Picard orders Geordi to dump toxic waste into a warhead capable missile "class 4 probe" and shoot it at an endangered species AGAIN, gently caress laws I guess. When I first saw Jean-Luc was back at the vineyard I was really hoping it was under guarded exile or something. I still hold out hope that Geordi LaForge is chained to a wall somewhere for being Captain Ahab's junkyard dog, but he's probably chief of Starfleet engineering or an admiral or something instead.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mossyfisk posted:

I got the impression they aren't evacuating the home system - that was destroyed instantly along with most of their shipyards. The evacuation process is for Romulan colonies about to get irradiated in the coming years.

Or something. It feels like no one bothered to agree on any of that.

I know the fisrt JJ trek movie takes place in an alternate time line, but what about the destruction of Romulus, or Remus or whatever the gently caress that made the dude come back to alter the whatever the gently caress? Is that the same disaster that is referred to above or is that some different poo poo?

Did the americans starfleet use their HAARP facility in Alaska to blow up the Romulan sun the way they used it to blow up Praxis in ST6:TUC?

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

When I first saw Jean-Luc was back at the vineyard I was really hoping it was under guarded exile or something. I still hold out hope that Geordi LaForge is chained to a wall somewhere for being Captain Ahab's junkyard dog, but he's probably chief of Starfleet engineering or an admiral or something instead.
Geordie is married to an android or holographic version of Leah Brahms.
Picard is back on earth at his family vineyard to have kids so that Chateau Picard doesn't die since his brother and nephew died in a horrible fire.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Picard is back on earth at his family vineyard to have kids so that Chateau Picard doesn't die since his brother and nephew died in a horrible fire.

I was sorta hoping he'd be revealed in the pilot to have like three dozen kids, having devoted the time since quitting Starfleet to making babies basically nonstop.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why can't they just make another TNG or Voyager type series, with planet/aliens of the week? That's all I want from Star Trek

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Bardeh posted:

Why can't they just make another TNG or Voyager type series, with planet/aliens of the week? That's all I want from Star Trek

Im currently almost done with voyager and a ST series with modern production values would own.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Bardeh posted:

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I like how Spock got to come back from being dead because he touched Bones' face before he died, like full blown sitcom "everything is back the way it was" back to life. But they somehow can't figure out a way to make the artificial man come back, even with a few extra copies floating around. poo poo, Data already effectively mind melded with the dumb one before he died.

Do they deal with that? I heard Data is only back in dream sequences or whatever.

Bardeh posted:

:yeah:

I just couldn't get into DS9 because of this. Thankfully my buddies watched it and told me to tune in for the Dominion War battle stuff.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Don't get me wrong, another DS9 will be just fine too. I understand why people love it so much - it's a great show. But there's something about self-contained storylines with an interesting or quirky premise, where everything wraps up neatly at the end. It's relaxing and comforting in a way that TV shows just aren't these days. I can pick a TNG or Voyager episode at random from any season and know that it'll (probably) be an enjoyable 45 minutes of TV without having to follow an overarching storyline. The Orville was really good for this, just leaned a little too hard into the comedy for me personally.

E: Oh poo poo there's a season two of Orville? Sweet, I know what I'm watching tonight!

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 8, 2020

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

I really do enjoy this show, however I was doing some reading about it which makes me think that’s eventually going to become a TNG circlejerk. We’ve already seen Data flashbacks, and that did turn out to be Hugh on the wrecked cube. In the future we can expect to see Mr. and Mrs. William Riker living out their golden years, and possibly Guinan as well. We also get to see how Seven Of Nine has aged.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Before Discovery I thought I wanted a heavily serialized Star Trek, but it's really the standalone episodes that I ended up liking more. In retrospect, DS9 had a good structure, most seasons had general development but until the big series finale you could still watch a lot of them as standalone stories with just a general sense of where they fit overall. I think that's what I'd have liked best for Disco assuming they'd have to have some kind of larger storyline going on. (Picard hasn't bothered me that way so far just because it's so very different than the space exploration Trek shows)

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Fuckstick posted:

and possibly Guinan as well

Patrick Stewart was on The View and he asked Whoopi to come do season 2 and she said yes. It was kind of sweet actually, she went on about how much fun it was to film the show and how well everyone got along on set.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Before Discovery I thought I wanted a heavily serialized Star Trek, but it's really the standalone episodes that I ended up liking more. In retrospect, DS9 had a good structure, most seasons had general development but until the big series finale you could still watch a lot of them as standalone stories with just a general sense of where they fit overall. I think that's what I'd have liked best for Disco assuming they'd have to have some kind of larger storyline going on. (Picard hasn't bothered me that way so far just because it's so very different than the space exploration Trek shows)

It seems like it would be easy to have a starship show going off and doing the alien/planet of the week, while occasionally coming to resupply at an outpost that has it's own DS9-type show. Expensive to run two shows I guess, but it makes perfect sense in universe at least and would be a cool melding of serial and standalones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Bardeh posted:

Seth MacFarlane wanted that too so he made The Orville. It's really not bad though I've only seen the first season.

e: jesus im stupid i didn't read your second post.

Valko fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 8, 2020