Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I believe in the ancient aliens seeded the earth with humans theory read more about it in the dragonriders of pern novellas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The very first frame of the very first movie specifically tells us this story is taking place in a distant galaxy, and shortly after we meet our protagonist we are shown the two suns of the planet he lives on, driving home that this is very much not earth or an earth-like place. Why should the movie have to go further in spelling out that this is not a story about earthlings? Does the word “human” even appear in the movies?

Anyway I don’t think it’s some zany fan theory, it actually allows for vast amounts of handwaving. We can generally assume they are like us in every respect and the story works fine, but whenever that might strain suspension of disbelief you can just shrug and say well their technology and physiology are different from ours and apparently it just works like that. If anything I think the crazy fan theory would have to be whatever you come up with to explain how this species from a distant galaxy came to populate our planet but with none of their technology intact.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I was curious if the EU ever pulled the trigger on linking Earth to the Star Wars universe. From searching Wookieepedia though, it seems like it actually kept away from doing that.

However, there was a cancelled series of novels called Alien Exodus that sound absolutely batshit. They would have explained that the first humans in Star Wars were originally from future Earth and fell through a wormhole in space and time to get to the Star Wars galaxy. It also would have referenced American Graffiti and THX-1138 to form some kind of hideous George Lucas super-EU.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there was one theory that humans were from Corellia, which was brought to the Star Wars universe from somewhere else. KOTOR tried implying that they were originally from Tatooine from way back when it was an Earth-like planet and Rakatans took them as slaves across the galaxy and then lasered the entire planet into glass, which crumbled up and became the endless desert.

Next you'll be making your grand thesis that Lord of the Rings is full of some unique species of "Midmans" instead of humans.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah like, it's commonly accepted that we tell stories about humans because that's what we relate to. Only in hard SciFi does the science behind that matter in the slightest.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Does the word “human” even appear in the movies?

“Jabba, you’re a wonderful human being.”

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Voting Floater posted:

I was curious if the EU ever pulled the trigger on linking Earth to the Star Wars universe. From searching Wookieepedia though, it seems like it actually kept away from doing that.

However, there was a cancelled series of novels called Alien Exodus that sound absolutely batshit. They would have explained that the first humans in Star Wars were originally from future Earth and fell through a wormhole in space and time to get to the Star Wars galaxy. It also would have referenced American Graffiti and THX-1138 to form some kind of hideous George Lucas super-EU.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

:eyepop:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thanks, I hate it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

That comic has been around forever and it owns

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Asgerd posted:

“Jabba, you’re a wonderful human being.”

Hmm, this raises a lot more questions than it answers.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Human hands! :tinfoil:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

El Generico posted:

this is the part of the eu that most makes me glad it was taken out back and shot

Sorry bud but Quinlan Vos is canon. There’s a pretty good episode of The Clone Wars in S3 where Obi-Wan has to team up with him. He’s a cool, unconventional sort of Jedi. I think he did die in O66 though, or shortly thereafter.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Voting Floater posted:

Today, I learned that Tarkin was a 100% total badass who was covered in scars from fighting tigers as a kid and constantly fantasized about stripping off and knife-fighting random junior officers. Obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mQVlvRmnEc

That Youtube channel is a treasure trove of dumb Star Wars lore.

also his name is Wilhuff

Wilhuff and Sheev

No wonder things turned out that way

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
The stormtrooper whose armour Luke stole was Tarkin's gay boytoy

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Voting Floater posted:

Today, I learned that Tarkin was a 100% total badass who was covered in scars from fighting tigers as a kid and constantly fantasized about stripping off and knife-fighting random junior officers. Obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mQVlvRmnEc

That Youtube channel is a treasure trove of dumb Star Wars lore.

My other favorite is the clone who wants to be Darth Vader's friend, but discovers to his lasting bitterness that evil is bad.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Voting Floater posted:

ET shows up in the senate scene in The Phantom Menace. Ergo Star Wars takes place in our universe.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

ET shows up in the senate scene in The Phantom Menace. Ergo Star Wars takes place in our universe.

humans show up in all eleven movies but that didnt demand a connection

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The dianoga in the Death Star trash compactor is Force sensitive.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Prequeldome reminded me. Remember this guy on the Jedi Council?

His name is Ki Adi Mundi and his backstory is that he fucks.

quote:

Assigned the Jedi Watchman of the Cerean sector, Mundi was granted a rare exception to the Jedi Order's ban on marriage due to his species' low birth rate and had a polygamous family of five wives and seven children, although he tried to avoid developing emotional attachments to them.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

"please my jedi friends, it is very important that i be given a bunch of wives because my species is almost extinct."

"sure, as long as you stay away from your children and not develop an emotional attachment to them, lest you be swayed by the da-"

"deal."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Isn't there some old EU stuff that heavily implies if not outright states the jedi can gently caress all they want as long as its NSA?

I kinda want that to be true cuz I can totally see Obi-Wan hanging out at a sleazy coruscant brothel.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isn't there some old EU stuff that heavily implies if not outright states the jedi can gently caress all they want as long as its NSA?

i mean, yes, ki adi mundi is one major example

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

enlightenment-mandated emotionally unavailable parenting

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Obi-Wan and Duchess Satine definitely hosed.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Argus Zant posted:

Anyway, here's an Old EU thing: at one point, the Old Republic decided it would be a good idea to build a fleet of like 200 warships, except that 199 of them were basically drones that would be controlled from the 1 crewed flagship. Except that right before the fleet was gonna be launched, the crew of the flagship either went insane or the ship's computer was infected by a computer virus and the whole fleet jumped into hyperspace on random coordinates, and nobody ever saw the fleet again. And it became a galaxy-wide urban legend about where the fleet- called the, no poo poo, Katana fleet- had ended up, or if it had even existed in the first place. Like, it was some straight-up RPG quest hook poo poo that your cousin/uncle/stoner friend knew a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy's cousin that has some vital and just-discovered clue about where the fabled Katana fleet might be.

And then Thrawn found it and threw it at the New Republic.

Well, actually, it was found by Jorj Cardas who told Talon Karrde and Thrawn managed to stumble onto it independently.

I think it went something like that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Polaron posted:

Well, actually, it was found by Jorj Cardas who told Talon Karrde and Thrawn managed to stumble onto it independently.

The Thrawn Trilogy are still better Episodes VII-IX than what we got.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Thrawn Trilogy are still better Episodes VII-IX than what we got.

nah, they're horrible

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Thrawn trilogy had a number of its own goofy issues, but it at least had consistent creative direction and demonstrated a changing galaxy. And although I think the individual stories of most of Disney's sequels have their own flaws in their own right, what I get mad at them most for is refusing to give an inch of ground to acknowledging that anything that happened in the original trilogy was worth doing (they constantly wheel around the old cast, sure, but only to show them hopelessly flailing as their whole lives' work has long crumbled into meaninglessness) and the creative bankruptcy in not coming up with interesting new technology designs.

And for what it's worth, Zahn's books that kickstarted the EU were actually the second attempt (maybe third if you count those dtv Ewok movies that nobody ever remembers) at continuing the timeline of Star Wars. Before that, the company that held the license to make Star Wars toys did a big pitch for continuing the series where they also were using the brief mention of the Clone Wars for inspiration, with this guy as the central villain.

Kenner posted:

A powerful force long kept in exile in a remote fringe of the galaxy has been released by the death of the Emperor. It moves now, like a plague, securing control over the shattered remnants of the empire and re-enslaving newly freed worlds. Atha Prime, genetics master, ruler of the dark worlds and architect of the Clone Wars, is free again. His advanced army of combat clones has already decimated rebel outposts along the galactic frontier. His goal is to cursh forever the Rebel Alliance and control the Galaxy.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Polaron posted:

Jorj cardas, who, let's not forget, is one of the more egregious Mary Sue characters in the old EU and happens to look like this

In universe, he writes a series of holofilms called Vietnam Wars

BiggestBatman fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 11, 2020

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Are you sure you don't mean Karrde? I didn't think Jorj Cardass had more than a very brief role in Dark Force Rising?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Are they any OC Do Not Steals that don’t dress like Han Solo?

Also: Obi-Wan is from planet Stujon. This was revealed by George Lucas on the daily show with Jon Stuart

He gets forgiveness for the prequels by constantly loving with turbofans. “They died.”

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 11, 2020

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

also his name is Wilhuff

Wilhuff and Sheev

hi yes, I'm looking for a Wilhuff. Last name Meinfartz. yes I'll hold

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

also his name is Wilhuff

Wilhuff and Sheev

I miss the weird old Star Wars names. gently caress outta here with Finn and Rose and all that. Woody Harrelson in Solo was “Tobias Beckett,” that’s just a regular-rear end English name. Go back to everyone being named Zorp Tungo or whatever imo

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I guess Luke and Han weren’t particularly strange but “Obi-Wan Kenobi” more than makes up for it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
“Biggs Darklighter” is still the best Star Wars name. Fact

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

“Obi-Wan Kenobi”

i wonder if he means old ben kenobi :thunk:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

skasion posted:

“Biggs Darklighter” is still the best Star Wars name. Fact

Kit. Fisto.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are they any OC Do Not Steals that don’t dress like Han Solo?

Corran Horn lol he has his own special suit and special lightsaber and special X-Wing and :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

Kit. Fisto.

Only registered members can see post attachments!