Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Happiness: for the first time in my entire life I just played a multiplayer pvp FPS thing and not just had fun, I did well in it. I scored the second most kills, I was helpful in us winning, and I'm - I'm so proud of myself? Typically I have all the reflexes of a dead horse and wind up near to last in these things, but this time everything flowed, I was able to keep on target and it was a good time. :D

(playing control mode in destiny 2, and for once none of the opponents had overpowered gear too so my bullets actually hurt them! but in a fair way so they could sometimes kill me back before I could kill them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Which would you pick out of these 3 games

Stoneshard, Rise to Ruins, Cryofall?

I'm kind of leaning Stoneshard I think

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Cryofall is in Humble Choice this month, if that helps.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
All snide comments about MMOs aside, is it any good? I still have some picks left over after getting everything I wanted and I don't know what to use them on.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Rise to Ruins is released and has decent reviews whereas Stoneshard sounds like a fun idea that is nowhere near an actual fun playable state yet.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hub Cat posted:

Rise to Ruins is released and has decent reviews whereas Stoneshard sounds like a fun idea that is nowhere near an actual fun playable state yet.

It's fun and very good presentation, both casrs

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah I'm probably going to buy it tbh, I'm a huge sucker for roguelikes but if I had to pick between the two Rise to Ruins is mature right now and who knows whats going to happen in two years with a fresh early access game. That said they aren't really the same genre so 1 to 1 comparison isn't great. Looks like you can try out the prologue/tutorial section of Stoneshard for free here

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 8, 2020

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I was asked to take a look at Runner3, and recalling the fun I had with the original BIT.TRIP.RUNNER before it got too hard for me made it seem like a good idea.

It wasn't.

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat

8. Runner3

Let’s say you wanted to make a rhythm game. What’s the most important part? The music, obviously. If your gameplay is going to integrate with the music, expecting players to bop along with the beat to succeed, you need those tunes to slap. So I’ll make this one easy for you: the soundtrack in Runner3 does not slap. It does not bump. It sucks. I feel like that alone should be enough to condemn a rhythm game, but it’s not even the first thing that turned me off to this one. I even had to revisit the original BIT.TRIP RUNNER to confirm I wasn’t losing my mind, but nope, this third installment of the series is but a pale shadow of its former glory.

Commander Video and CommandGirl Video have decided to chill for a bit, and nipped off to Foodland to take in the giant tubers, I guess. But the Timbletot is returning to foul up everything good and cool about the world, so the hero’s journey continues for our rhythmic friends. Across Foodland and beyond, you’ll guide the pair in running, jumping, sliding, kicking, bouncing, and more as they traverse courses full of foes, traps, gaps, walls, and worse. All the while you’ll have the music urging you on, with every bounce on a spring and gold bar grabbed adding its own beat to the rhythm. And there’s plenty more to find in each level than just gold, with all sorts of gems and collectibles on the line.

That’s as flowery as I’m willing to get in describing this game, because there’s a lot wrong with what I just said. For starters, I want to reiterate how bad the soundtrack is. Yes, it has a strong beat to help guide you, but the tunes sound like something belted out of a bad flash cartoon. Gone are the bangin’ electric beats of the first game, replaced with cartoon percussion, farts, and slide whistles. It’s genuinely bewildering how bad the music is, and each world only gets like three tracks to share across its many, many levels. Worse than that, though, is how little impact you have on the music with your actions. I’ve never felt like the rhythm was all that important to the Runner series, since the beats fall on things you touch and obstacles you pass, not on the button presses themselves. But in Runner3 there’s less feedback than ever, with really only gold and gems adding anything to the deficient music.

There are problems across the presentation, and not just audio. I really, truly do not understand the art style of this game, or why it’s moved so incredibly far away from the clean pixels and polygons of the original. The clean look of the first Runner helped players plan and time their moves. In Runner3, everything is beset with this grotesque, waxen look of hideous faces and meat. It’s hard to put my finger on exactly what the aesthetic is, but it reminds me too much of cheap parody games cobbled together in the oily, high-contrast forges of Unreal 4. Everything is simply unpleasant to look at, and the scenery often gets in your way either because it’s over-designed or because the camera likes to swoop around at dramatic and painfully unhelpful angles.

Even drilling down to the core gameplay, you’re going to hit rough patches. Levels have confusing alternate routes that don’t unlock until you beat the main route, leaving your trail covered in ugly barriers. There are new flying sections that really add nothing to the game, aside from reminding you that you could be playing a better side-scroller. And a shocking number of hazards come out of nowhere, like meatballs streaking at you from off-screen and a giant octopus randomly deciding to smash holes in your route. I could go on about the lame jokes, the annoying unlock conditions, the brutally unfun secret levels, or how terribly wasted Charles Martinet is, but I don’t want to distract too much from the real takeaway. Runner3 barely resembles the game that put this series on the map, and fails to live up to any of those expectations.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 8, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

I was asked to take a look at Runner3, and recalling the fun I had with the original BIT.TRIP.RUNNER before it got too hard for me made it seem like a good idea.

It wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmF2HA04THc

oh my god why

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Hub Cat posted:

Yeah I'm probably going to buy it tbh, I'm a huge sucker for roguelikes but if I had to pick between the two Rise to Ruins is mature right now and who knows whats going to happen in two years with a fresh early access game. That said they aren't really the same genre so 1 to 1 comparison isn't great. Looks like you can try out the prologue/tutorial section of Stoneshard for free here

Wow thank you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it was bad until 27 seconds in and now i am eating my own face

AUGH 52 SECONDS IN, CHRIST

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's actually worse than YIIK music, holy poo poo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I thought this was just goons being melodramatic again, but drat, the music actually is that bad. In fact, it's barely even music. How is anyone supposed to play a rhythm game to that?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

This is my jam

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nHjCWl_Xg&t=88s

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wow, Dementia had better music. And that game was utterly insane.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Any goon clans for Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor - Martyr?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
That music sounds like Oingo Boingo played entirely straight and lacking all self-awareness.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oxxidation posted:

it was bad until 27 seconds in and now i am eating my own face

AUGH 52 SECONDS IN, CHRIST

I go on sometimes about how important good music is to a good game. The best case is when the music and the moment-to-moment gameplay are intertwined. A lot of games just use music as a traditional background for different areas; which can be fine, don't get me wrong. Other games, those that use music as part of - or closely integrated with - the gameplay sticks in my memory far more. Things like Metal Gear Revengeance's lyrics being timed, or the much more literal case of Crypt of the Necrodancer. (Hell, even some pinball tables are good at this; but anyway.)

That game up there is the exact polar opposite; I have very rarely been so thoroughly repulsed by a video game. It's impressive, in a way.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 8, 2020

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Now this is a song I could crawl through some ventilation shafts to.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Perfectly good music for a game. Just not a rhythm game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it actually does remind me of the OST for a certain other cult hit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-LU15VeqBY

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

oh my god why

:wtc:

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Speaking of stuff that's grating to the senses, I tried out Okami for the first time, it's one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played. Quick question though: does that green bug thing talk at you through the entire game? I got to the part in the beginning where it says "I THINK I'M GOING TO STICK AROUND FOR THE RIDE, YOU CAN'T GET RID OF ME!!" and I was like ohhhhh noooooo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

He does but Okami is still good

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Has anyone played Crying Suns? I played through the demo and I have no idea why after a few shots enemy battleships become immune to my weapons and have to be finished off with smaller ships.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

flesh dance posted:

Speaking of stuff that's grating to the senses, I tried out Okami for the first time, it's one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played. Quick question though: does that green bug thing talk at you through the entire game? I got to the part in the beginning where it says "I THINK I'M GOING TO STICK AROUND FOR THE RIDE, YOU CAN'T GET RID OF ME!!" and I was like ohhhhh noooooo

You hear that, Ammy? He's asking if that green bug thing is going to talk at him through the entire game!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

flesh dance posted:

You're supposed to feel that way. Don't worry, Ammy just as unimpressed with it as you are. He grows on you, though.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
That Foodland Runner3 song was stressful to listen to. Surely the others are more normal.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

This is the soundtrack to a Gex level. It has to be.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

aas Bandit posted:

I might have missed it previously in the thread, but a new gameplay teaser for Atomic Heart came out a couple of days ago. I've been looking forward to this for quite a while...kinda makes me think "Stalker on acid".

There's also a 10 minute gameplay vid from a little over a year ago, if you want a longer look.

Steam still doesn't have an actual release date, but I'm hopeful that the new teaser means it's not too far away.

Thanks for the update news - this game is so my jam that it hurts. It ticks just about all my gameplay boxes, what with the Soviet-era scifi aesthetic and off-the-wall surrealism, as well as that slower-paced methodical exploration. Having the character mutter "blyat" under his breath is just icing on the cake.

There's obviously a lot of content, but I wish they'd post update news a bit more regularly so we can be a bit more confident that it will actually release beyond a tech demo. I also loved the look and feel of that "Routine" game from a few years ago and it just disappeared into nothing.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 8, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone got any experience with Dark Devotion? It's the daily deal and I usually enjoy these games; hell, I even like Salt and Sanctuary.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

new earthworm jim music sounds great imo

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Anyone got any experience with Dark Devotion? It's the daily deal and I usually enjoy these games; hell, I even like Salt and Sanctuary.

It's okay. It feels more like a proto Blasphemous than a 2d DS clone, but didn't really hold my attention long.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Reminds me of a Parasite Eve 2 cutscene bombarding you with cartoon sound effects before the giant bastard boss battle.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The continuation of the Runner series was so unnecessary.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Is this Terminator game ...good?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/954740/Terminator_Resistance/
93% positive reviews but the trailer, screenshots, and even the description on the store page are so :effort: that it seems like it should be awful. But it's so well reviewed! Anyone tried it? They even have a featured Youtube review that gives it a 4/10 Bad review. Why would they put that there? E: oh that might be an Augmented steam thing.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 9, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Darkrenown posted:

Is this Terminator game ...good?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/954740/Terminator_Resistance/
93% positive reviews but the trailer, screenshots, and even the description on the store page are so :effort: that it seems like it should be awful. But it's so well reviewed! Anyone tried it? They even have a featured Youtube review that gives it a 4/10 Bad review. Why would they put that there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzgejaMt7X4&t=468s

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

"im saying, in 2009 B game tier, this is fine"

it looks like a bog standard boring shooting game youve played 100 times but with terminators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Has anyone played either of these guys?

Equilinox (https://store.steampowered.com/app/853550/Equilinox/ ): Looks neat, but I can't tell if it's a crunchy base/city builder, or a mechanics-lite "Chill out and watch plants and animals screw each other" thing.
Lonely Mountains: Downhill (https://store.steampowered.com/app/711540/Lonely_Mountains_Downhill/ ): Visual style is freaking rad as hell, looks fun, but I can't tell if it's a Trials-style high skill ceiling jobbie, or a 2-3 hour casual game that's fun once, then never touched again.