Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Little Women was a mushy period fantasy — which is right up my alley but, again, trivial.
...did you see Little Women?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, I did, this is what I posted about it elsewhere:

Also, I saw Little Women today. A touch schmaltzy, but that's the source material. Bob Odenkirk popping in near the end was a great moment.

A couple of insertions for the benefit of a modern audience were a bit jarring. Gerwig didn't change Amy's shallow, traditionalist character enough to justify her moment of clear-eyed radical feminism. I can't think of anything else in the film that shows her to be significantly different from the person who, in the novel, tells Jo "I don't like reformers, and I hope you never try to be one." That's the most extreme example, but all the main characters except Jo were a little more aware of their place in history than was probably justified.

The single major plot change, which plays with and extends the novel's bit of metatext, is actually great, especially if you know anything about Alcott's biography.

Again, I really liked the movie, but you can only go so far with that source material

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yes we saw it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Parasite is vastly overrated IMO. A bit too on the nose. It was fine but people tripping over themselves to declare it the best thing this year is a bit much.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Yeah, I did, this is what I posted about it elsewhere:
Got you, I guess I can't really sell you because you obviously like the movie and are aware of the stuff I find amazing.

But I do think the stuff the film says about gender cuts really deep.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

Parasite is vastly overrated IMO. A bit too on the nose. It was fine but people tripping over themselves to declare it the best thing this year is a bit much.

There’s no such thing as an overrated film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

would you say that class struggle is vastly overrated op? just curious

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

A good comparison for this year's noms might be 2000 when Ang Lee (and Iñárritu) was coaxed in the door, but smaller, highly influential, cult films were shut out in order to champion Traffic and Gladiator. Chocolat, Erin Brockovich, Almost Famous, and Oh, Brother...each managed very limited visability.

Influential cult classics like High Fidelity, Requiem for a Dream, Snatch, American Psycho, and Memento were almost completely ignored (not to mention In the Mood for Love, Code Unknown, Yi Yi, and Sexy Beast) so that The Patriot, Wonder Boys, 102 Dalmations, Billy Eliot, and Cast Away could receive industry concession noms.

Don Hertzfeldt won. Bjork snagged Song for a film that took Palm d'Or lol

The difference here is that Parasite is a film very much 'of the moment' on this planet (as are mother!, First Reformed, Uncut Gems, etc) whereas back in 2000 Crouching Tiger, ... was more of an international audience fascination with exotic genre exercise.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

In a just world, The Last Black Man in San Francisco would be cleaning up. Even in this ever-warming purgatory I figured it would make the lists for, at minimum, cinematography, original score, original screenplay, and supporting actor (e: for Jonathan Majors). It got plenty of hype around June. I just don't get it, idk

This was a weird movie for me. I also remember it getting a lot of hype earlier in the year but I didn't get around to seeing it until a month ago. I actually did not like it or any of the things you mentioned (except the score, that was great) until about midway through. I'm not sure exactly what put me off at first, I think it just wasn't presented at all in a way I was expecting even though I barely knew anything about it beyond the basic story. But I did end up enjoying it quite a bit by the end and really came around on Majors' performance.

Maybe other people had a similar reaction? I think movies released earlier in the year tend to have a problem with people forgetting about them by the time awards season comes around. And obviously the people in charge of these things don't actually care about diversity despite how much they talk about it in the press. A lot of these guys are probably pretty disinclined towards the subject matter too, if they bothered to watch it in the first place.

The score seriously ruled though, everyone should listen to it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

wizardofloneliness posted:

The score seriously ruled though, everyone should listen to it.

great use of Nyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4vARda08X8

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Oh my god, you guys weren’t kidding about Midsommar. Incredible film

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just got back from Jojo Rabbit which I'm glad got put back in theaters because I missed the limited run.

The only other nomination I've seen so far was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and of those two I think I would definitely prefer Jojo Rabbit to win.

General Dog posted:

Oh my god, you guys weren’t kidding about Midsommar. Incredible film

The constant exposure to the bright sun in the middle of the dark theater was really starting to gently caress with me by the end.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The shot of Stephen Merchant towering over Sam Rockwell in Jojo Rabbit is really funny

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

A little while back, a user on movie review/social networking site Letterboxd ran his own version of the Oscar nomination process using the same ranked choice voting system the Academy uses. There are 25 rounds where the films with the lowest amount of votes are eliminated, and whatever is left after the 25th round is nominated.

Almost 2800 people participated, and he interesting thing about the results is that they're almost identical to what the Academy actually picked out. Voting took place at the same time as the Academy vote, so the official nominations had no influence on these results. The only differences are that instead of 1917 and Jojo Rabbit, Letterboxd selected The Lighthouse and Portrait of a Lady on Fire. 1917 not making an appearance makes sense given that it wasn't in wide release when the initial voting took place, but Portrait of a Lady on Fire making it on with its own limited release is fairly impressive. The Lighthouse is the A24 rep on the list, which also makes sense given that A24 advertises on Letterboxd fairly extensively. Here are the vote result breakdowns.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

pospysyl posted:

A little while back, a user on movie review/social networking site Letterboxd ran his own version of the Oscar nomination process using the same ranked choice voting system the Academy uses. There are 25 rounds where the films with the lowest amount of votes are eliminated, and whatever is left after the 25th round is nominated.

Almost 2800 people participated, and he interesting thing about the results is that they're almost identical to what the Academy actually picked out. Voting took place at the same time as the Academy vote, so the official nominations had no influence on these results. The only differences are that instead of 1917 and Jojo Rabbit, Letterboxd selected The Lighthouse and Portrait of a Lady on Fire. 1917 not making an appearance makes sense given that it wasn't in wide release when the initial voting took place, but Portrait of a Lady on Fire making it on with its own limited release is fairly impressive. The Lighthouse is the A24 rep on the list, which also makes sense given that A24 advertises on Letterboxd fairly extensively. Here are the vote result breakdowns.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire is one of the 10 best films of the decade.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

would you say that class struggle is vastly overrated op? just curious

I see what you're trying to do but I am not that person, OP.

As a film, it's good. The message is pretty on the nose though and I feel it drags it down. Not the content of the message but just how obvious it is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I see what you're trying to do but I am not that person, OP.

As a film, it's good. The message is pretty on the nose though and I feel it drags it down. Not the content of the message but just how obvious it is.

I know you're not that person, and I don't take you for having bad intentions, but saying Parasite is 'on the nose' is like saying Blazing Saddles is on the nose. When the dude in Parasite breaks the 4th-wall a half dozen times to say "this is so metaphorical" and everybody laughs...it's because they have a shared understanding of the humor that binds us together in this perverse age of capitalist exploitation. If you are the one who's saying 'that's too obvious' instead of laughing then it's actually you who are missing the point. There are elements of Parasite that might as well be a documentary film about living amid the insanity and dissonance of Korean culture right now (or even global culture, since the American President is a loving game show host). Parasite isn't even my favorite film this year, but saying it's too on-the-nose when everybody else actually gets it is basically just saying it demonstrates its point too effectively, which is precisely why it's better than every other film that got nominated this year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Well it sure looks like 1917 is going to win picture and director. Boring pick, but having reviewed a bunch of stuff I didn't get around to last year, 2019 was pretty solid overall.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

1917 is precisely bad enough to win Best Picture.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
A bunch of the nominated shorts are up on Youtube and other streaming sites. Let me know if you find one of the missing ones somewhere and I'll add it to the list.

Animated Short:

“Dcera,” Daria Kashcheeva (Rental on Vimeo)
“Hair Love,” Matthew A. Cherry
“Kitbull,” Rosana Sullivan
“Memorable,” Bruno Collet
“Sister,” Siqi Song - Vimeo Rental

Best Documentary Short Subject:

“In the Absence,” Yi Seung-Jun and Gary Byung-Seok Kam
“Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone,” Carol Dysinger
“Life Overtakes Me,” Kristine Samuelson and John Haptas (Netflix)
“St. Louis Superman,” Smriti Mundhra and Sami Khan
“Walk Run Cha-Cha,” Laura Nix

Best Live Action Short Film:

“Brotherhood,” Meryam Joobeur
“Nefta Football Club,” Yves Piat
“The Neighbors’ Window,” Marshall Curry
“Saria,” Bryan Buckley
“A Sister,” Delphine Girard - geoblocked, YMMV

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 3, 2020

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

A Sister https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymXw75Ptnec
available for non-US users, though you can unblock it with a VPN or your youtube unblocking site of choice

Memorable: https://vimeo.com/325835165/dec4c9a9ae
Sister is on rent: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/sisterbysiqisong/380460435

e: US-only links for Skateboard (also on Hulu TV if you have a sub to that)

https://www.aetv.com/movies/learning-to-skateboard-in-a-warzone/full-movie
https://www.philo.com/player/player/vod/Vk9EOjYwODU0ODg5OTY0ODUzNTc5Nw (has a free trial)
https://watch.sling.com/1/program/3694b67aa8314c8cb3895d5b94f7aec1/watch?trackingid=google-feed

Saria is :filez: only right now and Superman is not available digitally anywhere. They're supposed to be coming ~soon~ from ShortsTV in time for the ceremony, but they haven't mentioned a particular day.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 3, 2020

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Thanks! I added them to the list.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Added a few more links in the previous post.

I haven't seen all the docu shorts yet, but I would recommend Memorable from the animation block and Nefta Football Club from the live action block. Nefta tells a funny story competently from start to finish, and it's a shot of fresh air after watching the line-up of mostly depressing subjects for this year. Memorable is a mesmerizing animation about a painter experiencing dementia, with beautiful clay models slowly turning into colorful Van Gogh-esque paintings.

Saria from the live action block upset me the most, though not exactly because of the subject matter. A cheesy script was adapted terribly into what appears to be a vaguely grammar-proofed Google Translate script, which is absolutely jarring if you're familiar with central american dialects. The director (known as The King of the Super Bowl because he's directed a zillion Super Bowl ads) clearly went through great pains to make everything look as authentic as possible - he even hired 41 orphans from Guatemala, to play the parts, and everything is filmed on location. To hear these girls deliver these unnaturally sounding lines (through no fault of their own, they're pretty decent as first-time actresses!) basically yanks you out of the immersion prepared by the director, so instead they only serve to highlight the weaknesses of the script. One of the older actors tried their best ad-libbing insults to make their part sound more natural, and it's probably one of the saving graces of the film. Pair that with a manic pacing that basically screams "I wanted to make this a feature movie but ran out of money so you get the cliffs' notes version" and it's a dreadful short that might end up winning the live action block anyways because it's as Oscar baity as it gets.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 3, 2020

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I tried to curb my pragmatism as much as possible this year because iirc it screwed me last year. Y'all, while I really, really want Parasite to win BP, you're kidding yourself if the Academy doesn't go for a movie about movies with a "due" director sorry

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Someone please explain to me who didn't vote for 1917 for best cinematography.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

coronavirus posted:

Everything outside of the flare sequence was flat, derivative and wide focus in service to the gimmick. Compare the flare scene to every other shot and it feels really dull.

Thr Lighthouse has gotta win that one because it was loving gooooorgeous all the way through.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

I tried to curb my pragmatism as much as possible this year because iirc it screwed me last year. Y'all, while I really, really want Parasite to win BP, you're kidding yourself if the Academy doesn't go for a movie about movies with a "due" director sorry

The prohibitive favorite for best picture (and to a lesser extent, director) is 1917. Once Upon a Time doesn’t even seem to be in the running.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I’ll be astonished if ...Hollywood wins anything from the Big 8 other than Original Screenplay and Supporting Actor. (And only one of those is near-certain.)

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Antonio should win, goddamnit!

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

oneforthevine posted:

I’ll be astonished if ...Hollywood wins anything from the Big 8 other than Original Screenplay and Supporting Actor. (And only one of those is near-certain.)

I thought the bookies thought it was in the running for best picture. I'd be happy with that result.

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

I hope Scorsese wins Best Director just to spite Bob Igor and his worldwide cult following of adult comic book fans.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I haven’t shut the voting down so feel free to sign up and do some, or make edits or whatever. I’ll probably watch live and add the results in.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

coronavirus posted:

I thought the bookies thought it was in the running for best picture. I'd be happy with that result.

It was, for a while, but it really didn’t pick up any of the guild awards that are usually pretty good predictors, and 1917 did.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

coronavirus posted:

It just isn't...all that interesting to look at. Compare it to the same DP's work on BR2049 and it doesn't come off as very memorable imo

The flare scene looked nice.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

I, Butthole posted:

Everything outside of the flare sequence was flat, derivative and wide focus in service to the gimmick. Compare the flare scene to every other shot and it feels really dull.

Thr Lighthouse has gotta win that one because it was loving gooooorgeous all the way through.

The Lighthouse is the best looking film I’ve seen in years, maybe ever.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
1917 looks great throughout, it’s not just the flare sequence. I guess the overcast color scheme might make you think otherwise, though.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It just isn't...all that interesting to look at. Compare it to the same DP's work on BR2049 and it doesn't come off as very memorable imo

The flare scene looked nice.

The flare scene looking "nice" is a hilarious understatement. I'm fine with the argument 1917 shouldn't win for the sum of the entire movie but yeah, that 2nd half leading up to the tree was a work of art.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
1917s cinematography is painfully rote and easily Deakins weakest work.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man... if you haven't already, watch Honeyland. It's on Hulu. It's going to be a loving abomination if (when) American Factory wins instead. The latter is fine, but Honeyland is probably one of the best movies of last year entirely.

Can documentaries actually be nominated for cinematography? Because poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Man... if you haven't already, watch Honeyland. It's on Hulu. It's going to be a loving abomination if (when) American Factory wins instead. The latter is fine, but Honeyland is probably one of the best movies of last year entirely.

Can documentaries actually be nominated for cinematography? Because poo poo.

You have to know the right people to even get documentaries nominated for documentary