Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Just saw Gretel and Hansel. It was OK, the visuals were great, and the music.

Did anyone else get the impression that it took place in a post apocalyptic world? The clothing, hair styles, and architecture seemed all over the place. The rich guy Gretel tried to get a job from alluded to some sort of devastating event going on, which could be anything from a famine, disease, or war. I kind of imagined it as taking place in a time after a particularly devastating 20th century world war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

shadowvine118 posted:

Did anyone else get the impression that it took place in a post apocalyptic world? The clothing, hair styles, and architecture seemed all over the place. The rich guy Gretel tried to get a job from alluded to some sort of devastating event going on, which could be anything from a famine, disease, or war. I kind of imagined it as taking place in a time after a particularly devastating 20th century world war.

I thought they said it was during the time of the Black Plague?

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I thought they said it was during the time of the Black Plague?

I doubt they had wallpaper with circus tents and rocking horses on them back then.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Btw for those of you who haven’t seen it, which is probably most people cause it’s been kind of a hassle to find, The Tenant is streaming on prime now. The third of Polanski’s “apartment trilogy” of horror movies and every bit as good as repulsion and rosemary

Just watched this. I really enjoyed it, but the third act seemed a little weak. They did a good job up until that point of demonstrating that the main character was an unreliable narrator, but also maintaining a sense of threat, and I think that balance was thrown out of the window in the car accident scene. I really love how moody and paranoid the film feels though, and the one practical effect as he moves towards the window was excellent. It sort of reminds me of Pi

The ending also reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SqHtWudI24

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

married but discreet posted:

What are you talking about, Dracula fucks (obviously)

It's been a while since I sat through it but Dracula Sucks can be cited as evidence.

shadowvine118 posted:

I had to do a couple refunds for this movie today. Was too scary for the children brought in to see it.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's been a while since I sat through it but Dracula Sucks can be cited as evidence.

I had to do a couple refunds for this movie today. Was too scary for the children brought in to see it.

I can think of maybe one or two scenes at the end that would be a bit much for little kids, but for the most part it's not scary at all.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

shadowvine118 posted:

I can think of maybe one or two scenes at the end that would be a bit much for little kids, but for the most part it's not scary at all.

there’s plenty of stuff that would be scary and disturbing for little kids... besides the generally unsettling tone, in the first like 20 minutes alone you have a creepy old man asking a young girl about her virginity, a mother attacking and threatening her daughter, and the zombie thing that the huntsman kills with an arrow through the eye

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

there’s plenty of stuff that would be scary and disturbing for little kids... besides the generally unsettling tone, in the first like 20 minutes alone you have a creepy old man asking a young girl about her virginity, a mother attacking and threatening her daughter, and the zombie thing that the huntsman kills with an arrow through the eye

I know I'm definitely not the best judge when it comes to what might be too scary for kids considering what movies my parents took me to when I was little. What I've seen of the movie when I sneak in during my lunch looks great, but I accept not everyone's quite like me with being able to sit through The Exorcist when I was little and still wanting to go home during Bambi because his mom got shot.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Honestly, it's really hard to know what is or isn't too scary for kids because every child is different in how they'll react to things.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
We established Dracula fucks last time. Dude's typically got a whole stable of hot as hell she-vamps. I assume he's at least hit this,

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Honestly, it's really hard to know what is or isn't too scary for kids because every child is different in how they'll react to things.

Too true. I started out my kids with the classic Universals and went off from there so I had a pretty good grasp on what they could handle since we'd also do 'home science' with making our version of the makeup effects with what we had in the house and filming on the camcorder we had. In comparison, my fiance's nieces and nephews were only allowed educational or Disney films. When we'd babysit them, I'd always get the instruction of 'No Horror Movies' which also included the classic Universals. How someone can deprive another of experiencing Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein still throws me for a loop.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A kid will giggle their way through a Jason movie but start bawling in terror watching the muppets because Gorgon Heap is terrifying. There's no logic to it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'd watch slashers as a kid like it was nothing, Carpenter, Craven, Romero's zombie poo poo, Troma, whatever. Horror was always more fascinating than scary to me. But for some drat reason, I was scared to death by these weird rear end disturbing moments in non horror films, like Large Marge and that fuckin cyborg lady from Superman 3.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

A kid will giggle their way through a Jason movie but start bawling in terror watching the muppets because Gorgon Heap is terrifying. There's no logic to it.

Now, to be fair, Gorgon Heap does seem like something that might have scared me as a kid too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYdRb2Sh5y8

He just freaking ate that guy! And Vincent Price was LOVING it!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Newborn from Alien Resurrection freaked me out more than any horror movie I ever saw as a kid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Now, to be fair, Gorgon Heap does seem like something that might have scared me as a kid too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYdRb2Sh5y8

He just freaking ate that guy! And Vincent Price was LOVING it!

I mean yeah it is scary but a horror movie is scarier, at least in theory. I remember my neighbour wasn't scared at all by the Thriller video but flipped his poo poo watching Willy Wonka when the little girl turns into a blueberry.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The best Creepshow segment is the one with the half yeti.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Origami Dali posted:

I'd watch slashers as a kid like it was nothing, Carpenter, Craven, Romero's zombie poo poo, Troma, whatever. Horror was always more fascinating than scary to me. But for some drat reason, I was scared to death by these weird rear end disturbing moments in non horror films, like Large Marge and that fuckin cyborg lady from Superman 3.

Lurdiak posted:

I mean yeah it is scary but a horror movie is scarier, at least in theory. I remember my neighbour wasn't scared at all by the Thriller video but flipped his poo poo watching Willy Wonka when the little girl turns into a blueberry.

Maybe it has something to do with expectations, like when you watch a horror movie even as a kid you know it's going to be scary and you can prepare yourself for that mentally. But when you're watching something like The Muppets or PeeWees Playhouse you're not expecting anything frightening to happen so things like someone getting eaten or their face tearing apart comes out of nowhere and your child mind doesn't know how to process that and is taken off guard.

Speaking of things that you're not able to expect, Come to Daddy is an insane movie and definitely worth seeing. Elijah Wood is always great in every horror related thing he does.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Finally caught Color Out of Space. Minus the accent choices and even they weren’t so bad, the movie was awesome. I liked the concessions to making a movie regarding what was cut from/added to the story, and the visuals were incredible. I want to see it again in the theater, but we’ll see if I can catch it- it’s gone from my local indie theater in like two days :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No joke, as a little kid this movie scared the poo poo out of me more than anything else for some reason. I still have no idea why to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzZ0XO4ly1g

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The only film which really scared me as a kid was The Lady in White, and it actually holds up pretty well today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAgGmUAk2X0

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i had no limits on what i could watch as a kid, I remember being 8 years old home sick and watching Saw II with my mom

the only thing that scared me was edward scissorhands

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
My mom let me watch anything that didn't have coded child molestation.I remember being ten and my mom being direct that I couldn't watch Nightmare on Elm Street because he was a rapist. Then I grew up and found out that my mom is just really sensitive to subtext. Exorcist and Hellraiser were also no-gos.

I really fondly remember just running through franchises with her though: Halloween, Friday, and Child's Play in particular. I also have really distinct memories of watching It when I was really young, and possibly during the original airing? I would have been three.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Your mom was correct. Freddy raped children.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Have we all reevaluated Savageland (2015) yet?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched it maybe 6 months ago and didn't love it tbh.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I finally got around to buying my tickets for Horror Hound.

http://www.horrorhoundweekend.com/

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just watched whatever I wanted and my mom said "Just remember that none of it is real".

She can't actually stomach any horror herself. Even just watching the bad guys beat up the hero in a action film or thriller is a bit too much for her. She gets upset and loudly curses them out and calls them disgusting scum.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My parents basically handled it like booze. "Don't drink... but you know, if you do don't be a stupid rear end in a top hat." At least that's how I interpreted it. So they weren't showing me slashers or anything but they also weren't analyzing my video rentals after a time because they trusted me.

Howard the Duck, Labyrinth, and that beast thing from the Never Ending Story scared the living poo poo out of me before that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

I watched it maybe 6 months ago and didn't love it tbh.

I think the central performance is very strong.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

My parents basically handled it like booze. "Don't drink... but you know, if you do don't be a stupid rear end in a top hat." At least that's how I interpreted it. So they weren't showing me slashers or anything but they also weren't analyzing my video rentals after a time because they trusted me.

Howard the Duck, Labyrinth, and that beast thing from the Never Ending Story scared the living poo poo out of me before that.

It's an incredibly effective jump scare. I saw it when I was like five with my little sister and when it happened we both ran upstairs screaming, it was great.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 9, 2020

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
My mum actively made me watch Alien and sold it to me with the line “the cat survives”

I hid behind the sofa and occasionally peaked at the screen, I have memory’s of what I saw on that screen and none of those memories actually appear in the film, imagination is a wonderful thing.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

STAC Goat posted:

In a way, you can tell the children of the 80's because of the specific trigger that bulge created.

It's a mark.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My mom actively hates both horror and sci-fi of any kind, and my brother always got nightmares, so it was always my dad and me. Really the only movie that got to me as a kid was Cat's Eye. Alien, Poltergeist, Hellraiser, no problem!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My father really likes Sigourney Weaver so it was easy access to the Alien movies.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the bug corridor and the dude ripping out a guys beating heart in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom were probably the two first horror scenes I saw? both lingered with me essentially forever

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'm a little surprised nobody's mentioning Arachnophobia as a childhood scar. That movie made me incredibly skittish around spiders from elementary school into my early teens.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Which is a shame, because spiders are awesome

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like the idea of spiders.

But if fuckers come within arms reach of my head they get whacked without thinking. I'm sorry, its instinctual. Maybe from watching Arachnophobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The end part of Little Monsters. gently caress that creepy little kid.