Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

RottenK posted:

I actually seen this before and liked it a lot, even recommended it to my friends. can't believe i forgot about that show, but glad to be reminded of it

i still wonder if there's some gender commentary going on with Lin - i know he's not trans but i wonder if having a cis male who's clearly confident in his gender but also happy and comfortable with dressing and looking like a woman is a positive example of a gender nonconfirming person, or if im reading into it too much

i think its def positive. takes on the show are sparse so i haven't really seen what dissent may be out there anyway

the show is very much about chosen familial connections though, and it's a theme that has resonance in lgbt culture even before you include that the family in question has a bi dude and a gay family alongside lin's confident crossdressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

RottenK posted:

you're right, regardless of what the author intended Lin is cool and good

I mean from watching it (really need to finish that last episode sometime) I don't think they could have intended anything bad. Like I'm sort of confused what there is to think about in regards to him being 'positive' rep or not. At any rate him and the show made me very happy.

Anyway, let's make pitching and catching jokes

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
just in terms of sheer relatability i think my favorite queer manga would be Kine-san's Solo Cinema

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

everythingWasBees posted:

same but only sense online

oh yeah i fell off on reading that at some place for some reason tho i was enjoying it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh no i fell into the dichotomy trap

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh yeah i fell off on reading that at some place for some reason tho i was enjoying it

i hope yun gets railed by like
i dunno a lot of the cast at this point

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm a big fan of his sister's gf, fursonally

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oso scans also fell off a cliff about 6 months ago, so... :(

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

I'm a big fan of his sister's gf, fursonally

she rules

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

dogsicle posted:

oso scans also fell off a cliff about 6 months ago, so... :(

goon project to commission Sexy Akiba Detectives again

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

the tler said they'd be interested in doing it as a commission again, and it'd be cheaper bc id probably be the one cleaning/typesetting

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
hakata tonkotsu ramens was amazing and deserved more attention, lin is an absolute icon, season 2 when?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

it's not really related but I love the scene where Kokutou goes on a five minute rant about drugs that is just, completely wrong on every level, and when asked about this Nasu just went 'As a college student, I assumed that Kokutou would know a lot about drugs that are used in the nightclub scene. I, the author, did not know a lot about the nightclub scene."

That's kind of adorable.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

nasu spent all day watching utena and playing dungeons and dragons, you cant expect him to have been to hip 90s japanese parties.
Those are pretty good pastime activities.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

And for all of KnK's faults I know at least three people who realized they were nonbinary because of it, so. Yet another example of 'its more about an earnest attempt to engage than checking off boxes' because Kara no Kyoukai literally has a random guy go insane and dress up as Ryougi and go on a murder spree, it seems to literally think of Ryougi's male and female halves as two separate identities, and it's REALLY hung up on the idea that wearing a coat is the most hosed up thing someone assigned female at birth could possibly do and must mean Ryougi is impossible to understand. And people still get a lot out of it.

All of this is why it's the best nb rep in anime though.

Although imo I always thought their kimono (not sure if this or a yukata, the blue one specifically) was a really masculine look whereas a short red leather jacket like that is much more feminine.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

esselfortium posted:

hakata tonkotsu ramens was amazing and deserved more attention, lin is an absolute icon, season 2 when?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

i aint even heard of it...simuwatch when??

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

DisDisDis posted:

I mean from watching it (really need to finish that last episode sometime) I don't think they could have intended anything bad. Like I'm sort of confused what there is to think about in regards to him being 'positive' rep or not. At any rate him and the show made me very happy.

Anyway, let's make pitching and catching jokes

i agree with everything you said here but also i think people misunderstood me, i wasn't questioning if Lin was supposed to be sympathetic

i meant that im not sure if representing gender noncomformity in a cool and positive way was part of the author's intent or if the author wasn't really thinking about that and just made a cool character that also happened to be good representation, like with that manga that was discussed earlier in this thread (Day of Revolution i think).

sorry for choosing my words poorly :shobon:

lin's the pitcher for sure

esselfortium posted:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I like Lin to be the catcher for self insert reasons :angel:

I think authorial intent is pretty impossible to divine in these situations. Like something like Otome Danshi I can say feels like a very genuine representation of someone living while gender nonconforming (anyone else always want to abbreviate this to gender noncon before thinking for 5 seconds) but Hakata just isn't about day to day details that are relatable in that way. However, it treats all its gay n etc chars including Lin very kindly, I would say.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Like most of my favorite gay stories are about evil and horrible people so I don't think this is the litmus test for "good representation" (or well, most of what I like and connect to would be considered "bad" rep by bad people) but Hakata's a very "warm" narrative that gay people form community and all end up in better places over the course of, iirc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

All of this is why it's the best nb rep in anime though.

Although imo I always thought their kimono (not sure if this or a yukata, the blue one specifically) was a really masculine look whereas a short red leather jacket like that is much more feminine.
hosed up thing is youre right but they seem to think its the other way around??

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i have similarly confusing ideas about some flannel shirts i own so tbh i cant judge

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

dog told me to watch hakata tonkotsu ramens at some point but i can't remember why he told me specifically to

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
you like haikyuu so maybe you'd like other fujo shows :twisted:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens is like if Durarara and Killer7 adopted a baby.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

you like haikyuu so maybe you'd like other fujo shows :twisted:

:cryin:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens is like if Durarara and Killer7 adopted a baby.

and they're both guys

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

and they're both guys
Pretty much, yeah. :hai:

Also, the next volume drops in like 2 weeks! :woop:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

not manga but this covers a couple of things requested -- I've been reading this novel series:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/230782-criminal-intentions-season-one

I really enjoyed that series to start with, and Malcolm and Yoon were great, but after a while I just got so tired of the way every single cop other than the Designated Protagonist/Deuteragonist Group was a sneeringly evil corrupt caricature who somehow only gave the protagonists poo poo for being Good Cops and never seemed to have a problem with them being queer POC.

Also I'm pretty sure that literally every killer (bar one, maybe?) was a white guy which really killed the "whodunnit" aspect after like, the eighth book.

I got the feeling the author is big into ACAB but simultaneously really wanted to do a police procedural, and I don't think they handled the disparity well.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah that's totally fair; tbh I'm taking a break from it right now because it's one I can read in bursts and really enjoy and then sometimes I am just not in the mood for it at all. I have pretty low standards for books on kindle unlimited so I can forgive a lot though :shobon:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Mikl posted:

Everyone stop what you're doing and read this

https://mangadex.org/title/31395/i-turned-my-childhood-friend-into-a-girl

It's super gay (and also trans, probably).

Also hi thread, I had no idea this thread existed, I stumbled upon it by chance. Hello!

The author has said on twitter that this has been picked up for serialization - so there's one more already made chapter and then the serial version will start when it starts

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Love those warm bubbly trans feels

Thanks for showing it to me

AstrialJam
Apr 27, 2013

Arianya posted:

The author has said on twitter that this has been picked up for serialization - so there's one more already made chapter and then the serial version will start when it starts

The original manga on pixiv has the "otokonoko" tag on it. Make of that what you will. Then again, Love Me for Who I Am takes place in an otokonoko cafe and one of the characters turned out to be trans.

AstrialJam fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 7, 2020

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Two: the enby protagonist, and a trans girl. (Three if you count the owner.)

Obligatory disclaimer: not all non-binary folks identify as trans, and if they don't, that's entirely valid.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ya i count the owner

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I just finished Prunus Girl and man, now I'm intensely depressed. :qq:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well, I just finished Prunus Girl and man, now I'm intensely depressed. :qq:

read vampiress lord thing they also did

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Snooze Cruise posted:

read vampiress lord thing they also did

I love the scene where she asks the other vampire about her feelings

"So yeah there's this friend of mine and I really really really like her, like really like her, can't get her out of my head like her. Is this a vampire thing?"

"Nah, you're just a lesbian, that's all."

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Mikl posted:

I love the scene where she asks the other vampire about her feelings

"So yeah there's this friend of mine and I really really really like her, like really like her, can't get her out of my head like her. Is this a vampire thing?"

"Nah, you're just a lesbian, that's all."

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Decided to finally read Welcome to the NHK over the weekend after stalling on it for years. Its an interesting look and social anxieties and non conformity, and can be bleak as gently caress at times. Don't know how I feel about the ending.

Towards the end of the run a minor character whose been in a miserable and toxic relationship realises the source of a lot of her issues is that she's attracted to women and has been trying really hard to pursue straight relationships and decides to quit forcing heterosexuality on herself. She does a lot better after that.

And one of the main characters runs into a trans woman during a depressive spiral and in desperation to redeem himself gets a job at a host club to help her pay for surgery. Its not treated as a joke just an unexpected turn of events. He was doing it out of a sense of pity which she calls him out over, so its not perfect, but it is an example of a misfit with extreme issues with relationships and women trying to be better by showing some empathy for others.