Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

nrook posted:

I would assume they feel obligated to take the event because it’s so strong but don’t like playing the deck afterwards.

This is me. Apparitions and Wraith Form are boring as poo poo and I hate picking them, but they're really loving good so it's hard not to pick them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Current Daily Climb is teaching me an extremely valuable lesson about how worthless draw power is.

Also, Wallop is hilarious and I love it.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 7, 2020

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Drawing cards and going in and out of calm is strong, and always getting to choose your own route is extremely strong and eventually you are just omnisciencing into omniscience into 2x deva form or omega

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

struggling to see how A Note For Yourself drives one away from the game, tbh

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

struggling to see how A Note For Yourself drives one away from the game, tbh

It violates an otherwise core principle of the game that nothing carries over between runs, and violates it in a pretty big and unpredictable way

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Microcline posted:

It violates an otherwise core principle of the game that nothing carries over between runs, and violates it in a pretty big and unpredictable way

While you aren’t wrong, it’s not really big or unpredictable? You know exactly what card was in there last, and you’re basically making a choice whether to put something objectively good good in there for a future run, or take something that might be good for you? I would struggle to see that it would make a run breaking difference.

Or, you just ignore it entirely, and the floor was basically a pass.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
At some point you put in a curse or a strike (but I repeat myself) and then the event becomes a waste of a floor until you feel like tanking a run to put something good in.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
alternatively, play higher ascensions so that event doesn't show up

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I honestly didn't realize that that was what it did because I'm stupid.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Watcher on Switch when?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Microcline posted:

The fact it violates the core principles of the game a bit is why I like it and am sad it doesnt show up on higher ascensions tbh. I never felt it was overpowered but it was a fun little gimmick to have an ironclad card in a defect deck or whatever.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

SiKboy posted:

The fact it violates the core principles of the game a bit is why I like it and am sad it doesnt show up on higher ascensions tbh. I never felt it was overpowered but it was a fun little gimmick to have an ironclad card in a defect deck or whatever.

in games like this i like my run to be one run, not 2 or more runs put together. unlocks for relics and cards are more than enough of this kind of thing for sts and im really glad this event sticks to lower ascensions where a lot of the gimmicky stuff is. I'm pretty picky about this, and I even find the fact that neow bonuses are affected by your prior run to be a bit too much (and one of the only things I would change about the game given the chance)

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I think it would be bad if the game encouraged you to start scum for the bonus you want rather than encouraging you to just play the game. Sometimes you gotta protect the player from themselves.

Adding in the two default starting options was a really good change though.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Is that event super rare? Ive never seen it, and it's not like I steamrolled up the ascensions fast enough to have little opportunity to.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Is that event super rare? Ive never seen it, and it's not like I steamrolled up the ascensions fast enough to have little opportunity to.

I've been playing on A1 trying to get the 6 plasma in one turn achievement and it feels like I see it 1 out of 3 runs.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

ThermosAquaticus posted:

I just checked the wiki because I was wondering the same thing (I thought it didn't show up on any ascension!) and it looks like you'll only get the event if you aren't on the highest ascension possible for you. So if you play the game by climbing ascensions you'll never see it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My thing with the Note is like. It's hard enough already to get the build you want out of the random stuff the game throws at you, adding getting the right event at the right time to that is just too much. I skip it every time I get it. I also don't like the idea of messing with a current run to help a future run.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
How have people been getting Neon (channel 9 plasma in a turn)?

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

You'll get it accidentally with snecko eye + meteor strike + hologram/all for one/card draw

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

plasma are too rare imo :cry:

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

How have people been getting Neon (channel 9 plasma in a turn)?

3 meteor strike, tough but doable

seek, skim, hologram, double energy, turbo, secret weapon all help create a really long draw and energy generation engine. that's something you can build towards

ice cream and snecko eye are the relics to get to make it much easier

though consider that by the time you drop the second meteor you'll have cycled a bunch of plasma making energy irrelevant, so being able to get 3 meteors in your hand in one turn is the real hurdle

A Bag of Milk fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 8, 2020

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Echo form and hologram or Neronomicon and hologram. Double casting it and bringing it back for round three

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

These days you can use Duplication or Liquid Memories potions to be even less card-/draw-specific.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
When you're watching sports and not paying attention then notice a juicy Bag of Prep in the A3 chest :negative:

Had a disgusting deck too despite not seeing a shop since floor 6 (was incredibly well set up in A2 to beat elites and got an amazing 3 elite/4 fire path without stores, then not a single path to/from the super elite in A3 had a shop). Both Demon Form + double Reaper AND Corruption, double FNP, Dark Embrace, Evolve, exhaust cards packages as well as a load of great cards like Fiend Fire, Bludgeon, Shockwave, a couple Sword Boomerangs for scaling damage and generic good block like Power Through/Shrug. Relics were incredible. Just one moment of not paying attention...

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

This is so sad. If it was just one turn later, the stone calendar would've let me win.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried Pirate Outlaws? Steam recommended it to me and it appears to be this game but with Pirate coat of paint.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i think this is the most damage i've ever managed to get out of a single card:

pen nib + wrath + an expunger that got that high because i had ice cream + daeva form, plus a bunch of fastings i used because i had ice cream + daeva form

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Dead Branch on the Watcher is a heck of a lot of fun.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
When you guys are playing a Power-heavy deck like Defect Storm and you get Awakened One, what do you do? Try to dance around it until you kill him the first time or just go for it and drat the consequences?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
If your deck can block ludicrously well (typically through the powers themselves i.e. lots of FNP with exhaust, lots of orb-slots with focus, lots of Wraith Forms), just go for it. If not, hope you can win somehow with only a few powers played and the rest clogging your deck (unlikely).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I just went for it and won -- barely. I would've lost without a Lizard Tail. :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

President Ark posted:

i think this is the most damage i've ever managed to get out of a single card:

pen nib + wrath + an expunger that got that high because i had ice cream + daeva form, plus a bunch of fastings i used because i had ice cream + daeva form

That doesn't add up. Expunger is base 9 per hit, so 26 after adding strength. Then Pen Nib doubles to 52 and Wrath redoubles to 104. What's missing?

(Also LMAO at anyone who's never added multiple thousands of poison with a Catalyst.)

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Jedit posted:

What's missing?

Vulnerable.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

MJeff posted:

When you guys are playing a Power-heavy deck like Defect Storm and you get Awakened One, what do you do? Try to dance around it until you kill him the first time or just go for it and drat the consequences?

I play the powers, OP

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, you can out scale Awakened One with good powers. Something to exhaust cards like Recycle or True Grit is also useful for getting low impact powers out of your way.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
On high acension (17+) I am usually preparing an alternate strategy for scaling my deck unless I have something really really good. Less of a problem on Silent/Watcher, but I make grabbing Spot Weakness/Consume a priority to have at least one way to not rely on powers for that fight.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Now I could build a deck with a starting relic of bird cage. And I could even build a deck with a starting relic of orrery. But what jackass put tiny house in the boss pool?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I once got Tiny House as my starting relic, which gave me a free Perfected Strike, and that was how I got the 'Win with only Common cards' achievement

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bumper Stickup posted:

Has anyone tried Pirate Outlaws? Steam recommended it to me and it appears to be this game but with Pirate coat of paint.

It doesn't have the tight balance and mechanics of StS but it's ok. I have it on my phone and I'm happy with it, but I probably wouldn't buy it on Steam where I could just play this game instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Bumper Stickup posted:

I play it ony my phone. It's decent, but a lot more grind and unpolished. I'd only get it for PC if you've tried out all the mods and are still itching for more.

It's decent on the phone tho, as there's not a lot else other than that, Night of the Full Moon, Rogue Adventures and a lot of Chinese knockoffs of varying quality.