Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Codependent Poster posted:

No bits, no all access, no idle streamers watching because no drops... Yeah they need to have been paid a lot.

I think blizzard really cracked the code on esports monetization: rich assholes and mega corps that will invest tens of millions each into your league. The viewers were always secondary to that insane influx of cash they got for franchising, broadcast rights, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

e: nvm

Clips from Dogman spectating Valla VS Dallas
https://clips.twitch.tv/NaiveAuspiciousLyrebirdGOWSkull
https://clips.twitch.tv/PlayfulQuaintMomCorgiDerp

Trill's Dead Shatter https://www.twitch.tv/dogman/clip/CuteShortDonkeySmoocherZ

Ignis fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 9, 2020

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Gotta say, the VODs are already better. Already watched Toronto vs Paris and now on London vs NYXL. It's way easier to navigate now that they're quickly splitting them off into single Youtube videos (last two years they were splitting every match up into separate videos for all four maps) instead of having to navigate the Twitch stream to the right times.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

Ignis posted:

McGravy is here to eat your ults

e: honestly Valla should've hired Cloneman he was the better XL2 tank

I know gig has been setting some records but lol

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

Ignis posted:

Silver linings - looks like the replay viewer is already updated! :toot:

Dogman isnt using a public replay system.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

oh woops, I didn't think he was leaking that sort of stuff.

e: gig got better as the match went through, he was very shaky at the beginning. I'll chalk it to him being a late addition to the team plus stage jitters.

https://twitter.com/auzziejleesexy/status/1226385105842659328

Ignis fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 9, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bottom Liner posted:

I think blizzard really cracked the code on esports monetization: rich assholes and mega corps that will invest tens of millions each into your league. The viewers were always secondary to that insane influx of cash they got for franchising, broadcast rights, etc.

Viewer #s are 100% the thing that drives every other aspect of esports being profitable and blizzard being able to demand x for franchises and y for broadcast rights. If OWL pans out than yeah they cracked it, but that still very much remains to be seen and twitch deciding not to renew the deal was a big blow

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Twitch didn't choose not to renew, they just didn't bid as high as Youtube did. From what Sideshow was saying on his stream, Youtube bid pretty high because they're trying to aggressively move into the esports streaming market with OWL, CoD, and Fortnite. The question is going to be if the extra money Youtube paid up front will be worth it if there's significant viewer drop off from the switch.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Have we heard what the deal was worth? Because that statement depends a lot on how much they ended up getting.

E: reading up on it, it appears that a big part of it was likely an exchange of services in return for the broadcasting rights?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 9, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So blizzard employees get to watch YouTube videos at work for free???

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
blizz has 250m a year of hosting/server costs so there's a lot of reason for them to consider that kind of exchange, it just wouldn't look great if you're trying to prove to people that your esports league is worth cash money.

Who knows though, I'm sure we'll get more details at some point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Viewer #s are 100% the thing that drives every other aspect of esports being profitable and blizzard being able to demand x for franchises and y for broadcast rights. If OWL pans out than yeah they cracked it, but that still very much remains to be seen and twitch deciding not to renew the deal was a big blow

My point is that they made the bulk of their money up front without proving any viewership or profitability. All those investors bought in hard and by all accounts are not making anywhere near their money back.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

My point is that they made the bulk of their money up front without proving any viewership or profitability. All those investors bought in hard and by all accounts are not making anywhere near their money back.

So it's just a Ponzi scheme.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Everyone thinks one game is going to become THE esport and want to get in on the ground floor.

The crazy part to me is not that teams took a flyer for 20 million, it's that after seeing season one people bought in for 60 million.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Have we heard what the deal was worth? Because that statement depends a lot on how much they ended up getting.

E: reading up on it, it appears that a big part of it was likely an exchange of services in return for the broadcasting rights?

It’s going to be hilarious when google gets bored and some random gcp service critical to WoW goes eol with no warning.

I work with a lot of different company’s cloud services and if gcp comes up it’s usually a punchline to a joke.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s going to be hilarious when google gets bored and some random gcp service critical to WoW goes eol with no warning.

I work with a lot of different company’s cloud services and if gcp comes up it’s usually a punchline to a joke.

There’s a reason AWS and Microsoft own 90% of the market share even though Google was the first on the block. I do like Quiklabs, but that’s more because they don’t really run it and I’ve never not had free credits.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
No Russian cast for OWL apparently :(

https://twitter.com/andygmb1/status/1226531902066188290?s=20

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I've been really underwhelmed by Nico over the course of these two games, but using Mei's icicle to block D.va's ult from killing Rein was brilliant. I didn't even know you could do that.

Also, FDGOD is my favorite new player so far. Glister seems fine but overrated.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Hell yeah, watching FDGOD frag out was a pleasure

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

surf rock posted:

I've been really underwhelmed by Nico over the course of these two games, but using Mei's icicle to block D.va's ult from killing Rein was brilliant. I didn't even know you could do that.

If you do a Symmetra turret-teleport and have mei go as well and freeze herself on the teleporter, the turrets are invulnerable until it ends

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Pattonesque posted:

If you do a Symmetra turret-teleport and have mei go as well and freeze herself on the teleporter, the turrets are invulnerable until it ends

That still works? I thought it was patched out

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

That still works? I thought it was patched out

possibly? that's a good question

Also Boston throwing the end of that first map lol

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MARRIED
MAN
META

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JJonak taking these 1 vs 1s rules.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

JJonak taking these 1 vs 1s rules.

It's pretty great now that he gets to play Ana again

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so is there gonna be an hour of downtime now because these games ended too fast

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Just realized that this is going to be an entire day of 3-0verwatch. Oof. It is fun that Paris dunked on London, though.

Also, it is the dumbest poo poo in the world that they make you switch streams midway through the day and it must be absolute poison for their viewership.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

surf rock posted:

Also, it is the dumbest poo poo in the world that they make you switch streams midway through the day and it must be absolute poison for their viewership.
https://twitter.com/Selfless_Brad/status/1226270511761625088?s=20
(ATL Reign head coach)

should probably be fixed soon if it wasn't already fixed for today, because people in OWL obviously hate it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/OnFireSemmler/status/1226603235571531776

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They seem really determined to play this commercial about how "dope" their "technical apparrel" for gamers is. It's... kind of sad.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Tell me more about her armband

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Valiant should 100% have won that first map; KSF totally hosed up his first blizzard.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Valla Titans is on now

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

why is the COD League ad in portrait

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Valiant lookin insane on blizzard world attack

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Rain got too cocky at the end there

https://twitter.com/reinforce/status/1226626015033585665

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

YouTube's video had the red "live" indicator meaning I was up-to-date with the actual stream
But then I set it to 2x speed and it ran for quite some time at double speed
What does this mean

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's prob like setting up a delay on twitch but youtube's fastforward can ignore it

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

gently caress yes, Bren and Sideshow are back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My thoughts and prayers go out to Fuel fans in these trying times