Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/Akfamilyhome/status/1226075766011547650

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Collect ten bear asses

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Nintendo should clarify whether it's just a prompt to buy a Nintendo Online account or it's for DLC soon, because with how they're handling Pocket Camp, people are gonna be making a ton of assumptions that poo poo like loot boxes or micro transactions are going to be added

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Do you think they’ll be adding more preorders online at this point for the special Switch? :ohdear:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Do you think they’ll be adding more preorders online at this point for the special Switch? :ohdear:

Given that apparently production of them was disrupted by Coronavirus...I think they'll be hard to find

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

"What does collecting live frogs have to do with making furniture?"

"Shut up and enjoy your new chair."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am still very upset that i bought a switch in december because i really, really, REALLY want that animal crossing switch

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Nintendo should clarify whether it's just a prompt to buy a Nintendo Online account or it's for DLC soon, because with how they're handling Pocket Camp, people are gonna be making a ton of assumptions that poo poo like loot boxes or micro transactions are going to be added
This is true. After how Sword and Shield and Three Houses were directly influenced by Pokemon Masters and FEH, this is definitely a legitimate concern that people should have.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is true. After how Sword and Shield and Three Houses were directly influenced by Pokemon Masters and FEH, this is definitely a legitimate concern that people should have.

Wait, how was Three Houses inspired by FEH?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Willo567 posted:

The mere fact that they've seemed to go all in with this busy work crafting system tells me in my heart that there will be some sort of system to buy raw resources to save grinding.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

are e-Card packs considered loot boxes?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Khanstant posted:

The mere fact that they've seemed to go all in with this busy work crafting system tells me in my heart that there will be some sort of system to buy raw resources to save grinding.

this would be extraordinarily pointless in an animal crossing game imo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's cool to feel that way, but that just means it's exactly the kind of system that they could weasel in. Enough people will be like "lol I wouldn't buy that anyway, who cares" but at that point the game has already been designed around subtly making such a proposition have value to enough players to make money off of it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Khanstant posted:

It's cool to feel that way, but that just means it's exactly the kind of system that they could weasel in. Enough people will be like "lol I wouldn't buy that anyway, who cares" but at that point the game has already been designed around subtly making such a proposition have value to enough players to make money off of it.

It's not really possible to tell whether a game is grindy because they intend for you to want to utilize microtransactions to skip it or if it's just grindy because sometimes games are like that.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Pylons posted:

Wait, how was Three Houses inspired by FEH?

It wasn't. :thejoke:

Nintendo knows better than to add gatcha/lootboxes to a full-price game. Micro-transactions work in mobile games because they're "free," with the assumption that money is generally a substitute for time spent playing the game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pylons posted:

It's not really possible to tell whether a game is grindy because they intend for you to want to utilize microtransactions to skip it or if it's just grindy because sometimes games are like that.

It's possible and self-evident by the presence of them. We can't tell for this game yet, because of inadequate information available for a product they intend to sell us, but it's not like they'd suddenly include into the game a grinding system and mtx to circumvent it by accident.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Khanstant posted:

i mean i agree with being very skeptical, but nintendo has not really done this with their console games yet and i feel like they are at least smart enough to know that this would not go down very well with consumers.

if they do gently caress it up, well, guess i'll just go back to my 17-year-old gamecube town :shrug:

Pylons posted:

nah it is absolutely possible, play dead space 3 if you think otherwise

or, god fuckin forbid, dungeon keeper mobile

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

nah it is absolutely possible, play dead space 3 if you think otherwise

or, god fuckin forbid, dungeon keeper mobile

I haven't played it myself but I've heard nothing about Dead Space 3's microtransactions except that they're absolutely pointless.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Pylons posted:

I haven't played it myself but I've heard nothing about Dead Space 3's microtransactions except that they're absolutely pointless.

the entire gameplay was compromised in service of the microtransactions. that game was not originally designed with any crafting system at all, it was added to facilitate microtransactions. this has been confirmed by former visceral employees, including the creative director for dead space 3.

going more in-depth about every way that ea hosed that game up is another subject for another thread, but in terms of microtransactions specifically, that game had to be re-deigned to implement those in a way not originally envisioned by the team behind it and it showed pretty clearly in the final product.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sure hope that direct comes soon so people can stop losing their minds that Nintendo are about to do something they've shown absolutely zero inclination to do, ever, for absolutely no reason.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Sure hope that direct comes soon so people can stop losing their minds that Nintendo are about to do something they've shown absolutely zero inclination to do, ever, for absolutely no reason.

It’s gotta be coming soon. It feels like there’s so much we don’t know and the game is out in a month and a half.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i really doubt they do anything beyond like, amiibo poo poo for clothes or something

i will be fuckin livid if i am wrong because in every other way this looks like the best animal crossing game ever

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I will miss StreetPass. Seeing how everyone arranged their homes inspired some ideas and was pretty neat as a concept.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm sure there'll be some other means of showing off your house to random strangers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Somebody at Nintendo has read Use Of Weapons

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
From what we've seen so far, it looks like most stuff at least early on is crafted from things around the environment, which I'm guessing there'll be a limited amount of to collect at one time and probably respawn each day. So, same as usual really, just on a broader level.

We'll have to see how things go in the way of quality of life improvements and depth. I have to say, the convenience of the Switch might be a big part of the appeal compared to how long it could take to get going on the 3DS, which it kinda obviously chugged and drained battery life on.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The first one had DLC in the form of separate hardware + separately purchased cards. Animal Crossing has always been a thing where they experiment with new ways to get you to buy ancillary things. Their Pocket Camp was also pretty bog standard in terms of game-infecting MTX systems. They haven't said anything yet to tell us what they're going to try with this one, but they've got reason, inclination, and history enough for it to be a reasonable concern.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We'll have to see how things go in the way of quality of life improvements and depth. I have to say, the convenience of the Switch might be a big part of the appeal compared to how long it could take to get going on the 3DS, which it kinda obviously chugged and drained battery life on.

What? I guess it's been so long I don't remember 3DS AC chugging and draining. I do remember that the one time I took the Switch somewhere I found out it had like a 2 hour battery life, so I'm not seeing how the less portable console will somehow beat out the actual portable console?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 9, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

The first one had DLC in the form of separate hardware + separately purchased cards. Animal Crossing has always been a thing where they experiment with new ways to get you to buy ancillary things. Their Pocket Camp was also pretty bog standard in terms of game-infecting MTX systems. They haven't said anything yet to tell us what they're going to try with this one, but they've got reason, inclination, and history enough for it to be a reasonable concern.

None of that sped up any of the gameplay or skipped any time gated stuff and were all entirely optional "here's a neat thing you can have if you get this accessory but it's not going to make the 'game' any better or worse so who gives a poo poo" purchases.

The mobile game being full of mtx bullshit is literally because it's a free to play mobile game, that's what they exist for and their sole purpose is to annoy and tempt you into opening your wallet so should have absolutely no bearing on what you expect from the console title. As someone else pointed out, Pokemon and Fire Emblem's latest console entries are completely devoid of any of the mtx bullshit plaguing their mobile games and there's absolutely no reason to think we're suddenly getting loot boxes and energy meters in AC.

You may as well be losing your mind that having amiibos means people could get a few extra random fish and arrows (and some exclusive armour items!) in BOTW every 24 hours. I don't remember anyone giving a single solitary poo poo about that, and this feels exactly the same. You can also have a couple of extra racing suits in Mario Kart, holy poo poo Nintendo you loving monsters!!!

It's like you're basically all more interested in being able to go I FUCKIN TOLD YOU SO LOOK AT THOSE NICKEL AND DIMING PRICKS on the incredibly minor chance Nintendo decide that this is the perfect time to burn all of their earned goodwill and at the same time take a popular franchise out back to put a bullet in its head than thinking about this rationally.

Call me when they start selling $1000 space ships furniture sets.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I know you're being sarcastic, but look at some of the comments in this article about the issue. Some people are already jumping to conclusions

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/02/animal_crossing_new_horizons_might_contain_in-game_purchases

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Willo567 posted:

I know you're being sarcastic, but look at some of the comments in this article about the issue. Some people are already jumping to conclusions

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/02/animal_crossing_new_horizons_might_contain_in-game_purchases

People are doing it in this very thread, no need to go looking for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In optimism land, if they talked about buying DLC in-game later instead they'd have to get the game re-rated and jump through hoops for existing copies to reflect the fact the original ESRB boxout would be incorrect, so now is probably exactly the right time to make sure it's mentioned.

Edit: Pokemon has exactly the same listing in its rating, presumably because you can buy the expansion directly from inside the game and they always intended you to. There are no other purchases or mtx mechanics in Pokemon to warrant needing that tag.

Storm in a teacup until they say something to the contrary.

Animal Crossing is 1000% rip for a horrible micro-transaction cash shop though. The fact that it's about collecting things is why. Very concerned about this ESRB warning right now. My hope is that it's just item packs and they are reasonably priced, but that pretty much everything will be available in game with bells.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this would be extraordinarily pointless in an animal crossing game imo

Hasn't stopped a lot of games from doing this very thing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

EA and 2K have broken all of your brains

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

EA and 2K have broken all of your brains

Also Nintendo by doing that exact thing in the last Animal Crossing game.

(I don't think it's too likely that they'll gently caress this one up but if they were going to do it with any franchise it'd be AC).

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

You'd think the fact that Pokemon had the same kind of warning for proper DLC expansions would put some people at ease, but I guess the magnitude of the terror is making it stick in some peoples heads.

I get that it's scary, but we literally haven't learned anything new. There is no indication of microtransactions. It's still possible (if Nindendo have completely lost their minds), but it was always possible.

It's not especially likely though. Animal Crossing has always been a very comfortable, well curated experience. The game captures the slow passage of the seasons and a real time feeling of things changing, making slow progress to get the satisfaction of paying off your house. That's what Animal Crossing is- taking your time and working on things at your own pace, anticipating distant rewards.

Pocket Camp uses the Animal Crossing skin for a fundamentally different type of game. You can see all there is to see in a couple days if you pour money into it. It doesn't care about any of those kinds of gentle long term feelings, instead having surprising exciting gacha events to keep you excited with unexpected novelty.

You can't just take some of the gameplay mechanics of one game and just kind of put them in the other. If Nintendo is trying to create that low key, long term vibe that they've proven to be so good at with Animal Crossing, then microtransactions to speed things along would just be paying to ruin the experience. There's no reason they would do that- they wouldn't create that pleasant vibe in the first place if they were planning to let you bypass it. They might release like, a Sanrio pack of special furniture you can buy with real money or some poo poo, but they are not going to turn this game into Pocket Camp. They wouldn't be making this game at all if they wanted to just keep on doing Pocket Camp style exploitation.

In short, if Nintendo understand Animal Crossing at all (and by all indications they do, having invented it and all), this game will not have any of the gameplay microtransactions that Pocket Camp had.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Are people here forgetting that the micro transaction BS has only happened with the mobile Nintendo games thus far?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DLC item packs = totally cool with this.
Cash shop with $99 currency packs and lootboxes, which more and more AAA games are adding = not buying.

Nothing wrong with in-game purchases as an idea, it's how they are handled is the problem. Really need Nintendo to clarify all of this before release.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Yeah, that's why I chose sarcasm. It's a stupid fear that nobody should be worrying about until it's confirmed.

But because nobody can see the difference between a $60 home release and a mobile game, the sky must be falling.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

brb gonna track down an 8-bit Link Amiibo on the off chance that it unlocks Legend of Zelda or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

:toxx: I will eat a ban if Animal Crossing New Horizons includes mobile-style microtransactions. Because it won't.