Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Just as an FYI, Amazon has finally gotten the hint and is selling Expanse shirts. I'm probably going to grab that MCRN hoodie.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/19230571011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=The%20Expanse&ref_=bl_sl_s_ap_web_19230571011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I like the Eros Station shirt. It could plausibly exist in-fiction (material being used for belter clothes aside) and isn't distracting or overly branded if it goes unrecognized.

I fully expect to see "Doors and Corners" along with some Punisher Skull poo poo-for-cops-and-cop-lovers any second now though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There aint no law ceres. just cops.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Contrary to the extreme scarcity depicted in the Expanse, there's more than enough resources in the belt alone to sustainably keep trillions of people in luxury until the sun burns out. I imagine by the time there's any practical need to leave the solar system humans will be immortal or not even really human anymore. We'll never conquer the speed of light, but we can conquer our sense of time. What's a few hundred years journey for a being that lives for hundreds of thousands and can alter their perceptions of time?

Or more likely, capitalism is the great filter and we're hosed.

Capitalism, technology. Plus the inherently unstable nature of our habitat. Volcanoes, meteor impact, natural atmospheric changes, stellar evolution, ... pretty much everything out there wants to kill us.

Setting up a self-sustaining industrial base in space I think is more difficult than sci-fi envisions.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

If I teleport out of an open airlock which way will my soul fall away?

Your soul will expand indefinitely, you'll grow faster than space itself and soon the entire universe will be an invisible dot as you lament your own immortality.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
On the value of potential asteriod mining.article

quote:

This potential bounty captured the imagination of venture capitalists eager to cash in on asteroid mining, with some estimating that Psyche could contain metals with an estimated value of $700 quintillion.It also grabbed the attention of media outlets, with some calling Psyche a "golden asteroid" and others saying the space rock could turn celestial prospectors into trillionaires.

Helps explain why most belters are so pissed off at Earth. Not even of fraction of that wealth went to the belt.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't forget that the metals in that asteroid would also be sent down in small enough quantities to keep the prices high.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The Belters aren't mining precious metals though, and precious metals probably lose all value once an extraction operation even a tenth the size of the Belt gets going. They're out there scrabbling for water and carbon and industrial metals, which is even more insulting to watch all get carted off than some shiny rock you can't eat or use, because you could be drinking/breathing/burning that water right there but nope the paperwork says EarthCorp owns it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

The Belters aren't mining precious metals though, and precious metals probably lose all value once an extraction operation even a tenth the size of the Belt gets going. They're out there scrabbling for water and carbon and industrial metals, which is even more insulting to watch all get carted off than some shiny rock you can't eat or use, because you could be drinking/breathing/burning that water right there but nope the paperwork says EarthCorp owns it.

Yeah, how Ceres didn't explode into violence every time the Cant came home loaded with ice is mystifying.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, how Ceres didn't explode into violence every time the Cant came home loaded with ice is mystifying.

Because that ice was for Ceres?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Because that ice was for Ceres?

If by "for Ceres" you mean "for belters to get their limited water ration while the rest is used to water gardens and fill Martian and Earther ship's tanks" then yes

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think the Cant specifically was reserved for mostly feeding Ceres' own reserves, that's why the water rationing clamped down extra hard after it got destroyed - that was the water earmarked for keeping Ceres alive, it's all the hundreds of other freighters that are looting the place.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

I think the Cant specifically was reserved for mostly feeding Ceres' own reserves, that's why the water rationing clamped down extra hard after it got destroyed - that was the water earmarked for keeping Ceres alive, it's all the hundreds of other freighters that are looting the place.

You get my point though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Crazycryodude posted:

And even then, metals never really come up as being in short supply in the books. Which makes sense with being able to mine the asteroid belt.

Oxygen and water being in such short supply doesn't really make sense but they need something to make the story of oppression work, so I'm fine not looking at that too closely.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

And even then, metals never really come up as being in short supply in the books. Which makes sense with being able to mine the asteroid belt.

Oxygen and water being in such short supply doesn't really make sense but they need something to make the story of oppression work, so I'm fine not looking at that too closely.

It makes perfect sense if you look at current capitalist trends. Oxygen and water aren't in actual short supply, they are being withheld by the elites specifically to keep Belters in line. Same as living wages and healthcare in the current US capitalist state; you don't have time to organize unions when you're so busy working 3 jobs to avoid homelessness and death. All conjecture, of course.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Oxygen and water aren't in actual short supply, they are being withheld by the elites specifically to keep Belters in line.

This is the only explanation that makes sense, but is contradicted by the text where there are literal shortages. Like Ceres has had all its ice mined out which would probably take thousands of years to do. Its water mass is probably about 3.75 x 10^21 kilograms. That's about triple the mass of Earth's ocean.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Mars is very dry, I guess

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Not really, there seems to be a whole lot of water right under the surface. And Ceres is only one asteroid, though it's a big one. Water is the second most abundant molecule in the universe, there's no shortage of it.

Anyway like I said, it's fiction, whatever. If you poke at it too much there are holes.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hot take: All the Ice melted due to Climate Change.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Elentor posted:

Hot take: All the Ice melted due to Climate Change.

On a literal level, that's certainly true!

quote:

And Ceres is only one asteroid, though it's a big one.

While this is true, "a big one" doesn't do it justice. It's a third of the mass of the Belt.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Just as an FYI, Amazon has finally gotten the hint and is selling Expanse shirts. I'm probably going to grab that MCRN hoodie.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/19230571011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=The%20Expanse&ref_=bl_sl_s_ap_web_19230571011

What the hell are the Screaming Firehawks? I don't remember that at all.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Alex wanted to rename the Tachi the Screaming Firehawk, now Cas uses it in reference to twitter fans I think?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Still no martian coffee mugs you cowards

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's the nickname for the Expanse fandom, from the line about the Tachi that pik_d mentioned.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The Firehawks were the friends we made along the way

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

I'm suprised they didn't use Misko and Marisko for one of the graphic tees

https://www.amazon.com/Expanse-Backpack-Misko-Marisko-Pink/dp/B07PBHZ7BN

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Teddy the Detector shirt when

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

Still no martian coffee mugs you cowards

The crazy thing is they sell what I'm pretty sure is the actual mug without a label.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Emsa-504843-insulated-drinking-translucent/dp/B000ICINFO

Just screen print the MCRN logo and you'll be able to charge $50 for it guys

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

The crazy thing is they sell what I'm pretty sure is the actual mug without a label.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Emsa-504843-insulated-drinking-translucent/dp/B000ICINFO

Just screen print the MCRN logo and you'll be able to charge $50 for it guys

That is in fact the cup.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Is that yours? If so how did you do the printing?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Is that yours? If so how did you do the printing?

Some vinyl stickers I found online, dont remember where

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Had this very strange dream where I was watching the expanse but it was using the nier automata soundtrack (specifically “crumbling lies”)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I found some MCRN logo stickers you could put on the cup here, though none of them are pure black like that one is.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Emsa? It's maybe not that obscure but still making me all :psyduck:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mars is so cool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing that emsa city cup is discontinued. It's not on their website.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That doors and corners shirt is freaking hideous, my god

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I kinda hate every design ngl

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Legit shocked there's not a "Keep calm and Belter on" or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TraderStav posted:

Legit shocked there's not a "Keep calm and Belter on" or some poo poo.

Wellwallah propaganda! Get angry, mi beratnas!