Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HerraS posted:

wow a comic book movie is shallow garbage whuda thunk it

DC comic adaptions being really bad is shocking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Percelus posted:

hear me out

this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTeY_Rlyn2U

was the best movie of the last decade

female focused where she doesnt take poo poo from anyone or get bogged down in a shoehored romance. liberation of the proletariat from a maniacle dictator. flaming guitar gimp. made by the guy who made babe 2: pig in the city.

every ingredient needed for a good movie

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I might have said it before, but the best part of that series was giving Daniel Radcliffe enough money that he could do whatever roles he wanted regardless of how low budget or doomed for failure the movie was. Even if some of them ended up being real stinkers.

Rupert Grint has also had at least one good independent British movie since then, Driving Lessons. Probably a lot more but they never got marketed over here. It's good to see child actors not permanently hosed up by the monster that is Hollywood.

elijah wood also does whatever he wants so he's starred in some pretty good sitcoms and directs low budget horror on the side iirc

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Robo Reagan posted:

elijah wood also does whatever he wants so he's starred in some pretty good sitcoms and directs low budget horror on the side iirc

SpectreVision is his gift to humanity.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

mysterious frankie posted:

SpectreVision is his gift to humanity.

indeed

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I looked at the list of everything they've put out on wikipedia and it's all either something I've loved or meant to watch in the 2010s.

Speaking of which, Daniel Isnt Real looks p cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX80xLVy2Gc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I liked Birds of Prey because it didn't really feel like it was moralizing or pandering to the audience and they beat up a bunch of cops.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what the gently caress????

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
what if punk witch feminism but in the service of the fascist American war machine?

quote:

Motherland: Fort Salem "follows three young women from basic training in combat magic into early deployment" in a women-dominated world in which the U.S. ended persecution of witches 300 years ago after an agreement.

Very interesting! Which begs the question, who are the antagonists here? They clearly can’t do anything in regards to sexism or gender roles, given the premise. Fighting white supremacist occultists on American soil? Pretty bad outlook on the use of military power in domestic spheres. Fighting devious misogynist Islamic mystics overseas? Who knows! The cable network aimed at teenagers certainly doesn’t!

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 02:58 on Feb 10, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The trailer makes it look like a combination of YA magic and witches fantasy, plus YA coming of age drama, plus wrapped up in a military recruitment propaganda package

Given this I feel like it's only a matter of time before we get a Harry Potter prequel where wizards fight in The Blitz

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wait, didn't the US end persecution of witches 300 years ago in, like, reality

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The trailer makes it look like a combination of YA magic and witches fantasy, plus YA coming of age drama, plus wrapped up in a military recruitment propaganda package

Given this I feel like it's only a matter of time before we get a Harry Potter prequel where wizards fight in The Blitz

I always thought the minor background fact in Harry Potter that Dumbledore defeated his German-sounding archnemesis in 1945 implied that there was a wizard component to World War 2, and then along came those terrible Fantastic Beasts movies which I guess confirmed that? Or didn't? I don't know I only saw the first one once and it was really bad so I never saw the other ones.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner posted:

what the gently caress????

Lol, you love to see this poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The funny thing is that this sounds like they got a pitch for a magical girl anime out of context.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So I guess that Obama produced documentary won an Oscar? I haven't seen it; is it actually ok or just capitalist propaganda?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zerilan posted:

capitalist propaganda

yep

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The funny thing is that this sounds like they got a pitch for a magical girl anime out of context.

Colonel Homura.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
bomb the village madoka!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Zerilan posted:

So I guess that Obama produced documentary won an Oscar? I haven't seen it; is it actually ok or just capitalist propaganda?
Isn't this is the documentary where it asks workers if only they understood the tight spot bosses are in?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Any good reviews/breakdowns of the film?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Zerilan posted:

Any good reviews/breakdowns of the film?

obama is a piece of poo poo

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

vyelkin posted:

I always thought the minor background fact in Harry Potter that Dumbledore defeated his German-sounding archnemesis in 1945 implied that there was a wizard component to World War 2, and then along came those terrible Fantastic Beasts movies which I guess confirmed that? Or didn't? I don't know I only saw the first one once and it was really bad so I never saw the other ones.

there's only one more so far and is hasnt gotten that far yet, the bad guy wants to get involved the good guy doesnt and then it ended

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Parasite won big at the Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director and Best Screenplay, does this mean the Oscars are good now lmao

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Parasite won big at the Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director and Best Screenplay, does this mean the Oscars are good now lmao

No because they snubbed Dragonball Super Broly

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I haven't seen parasite and want to; is there a reason why shitlibs love it?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
It's a really good film and libs love appearing woke on a surface level way.

Serf
May 5, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

they don't understand it but want to appear woke

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

they love diagnosing problems without offering solutions and parasite gives the viewer a very bleak portrayal of modern capitalism but offers no way out of it

Serf
May 5, 2011

vyelkin posted:

they love diagnosing problems without offering solutions and parasite gives the viewer a very bleak portrayal of modern capitalism but offers no way out of it

i would argue that at the end ki-taek shows us the way out. the tragedy is in how everything plays out after that of course

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

No because they snubbed Dragonball Super Broly

What the poo poo

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ok half a day later and i think i wouldve prefverred it if joker won and we could all have a big laugh instead of all this hand wringing that the academy accidentally picked a good movie

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Farm Frenzy posted:

ok half a day later and i think i wouldve prefverred it if joker won and we could all have a big laugh instead of all this hand wringing that the academy accidentally picked a good movie
This is how I felt in my lib days whenever the Acadamy accidentally pulled off a "diverse" Oscars.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

This is how I felt in my lib days whenever the Acadamy accidentally pulled off a "diverse" Oscars.

i dont care why libs do or dont like things as i am not a lib

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
watching the best film among the nominees win the award, angrily shouting at my television "THIS IS ABOUT YOU"

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Farm Frenzy posted:

i dont care why libs do or dont like things as i am not a lib
"True" libs wanted evidence of Hollywood's racism obscured.

I wanted all the evidence front and center.

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/bongjoonwhore/status/1226811394206531584?s=20

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

i love the bit where he's like "i havent seen parasite, why didnt they reward a movie about how the rich look down on the poor"

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgbgpsNUn1I

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

The real good news following Parasites victory is that if you, like me, never got around to seeing it in theaters you can probably stream it for free on one of the big services soon. I’m guessing Amazon, because they seem to snag the big ones made by external studios these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
it's available on DVD at your local library