Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Irving is nothing but a porkbarrel company and it's weird they aren't hated as much as Bombardier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Bombardier doesn't have even close to the stranglehold on Quebec that the Irving family has on the Maritimes.

https://www.canadalandshow.com/podcast/family-owns-new-brunswick/

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Arglebargle III posted:

What good is a laser on a submarine?

This is purely speculation on my part, but a picket of laser equipped subs screening a carrier group might have utility in defending against hypersonic anti carrier missile attacks.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cat Mattress posted:

Irving is nothing but a porkbarrel company and it's weird they aren't hated as much as Bombardier.

They're not French/In Quebec, so western Canada either gives them a pass, ignores them, or doesn't know of them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Laser guidance for torpedoes would finally offer an alternative to wires.

Of course, developing better underwater data links would do that as well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Bombardier doesn't have even close to the stranglehold on Quebec that the Irving family has on the Maritimes.

https://www.canadalandshow.com/podcast/family-owns-new-brunswick/

They are the most visible example of the good ol' boy network that runs the place and are not coincidentally behind much of the economic stagnation there.

Also (and I think this is sad, Canada) when the PM is going to bat for criminal enterprises maybe the "honest graft" of Irving padding the bills as much more acceptable

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Britannica:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Part of the reason Iran goes hard on smaller boats, aside from cost, is that the Gulf is very calm.

It doesn’t work as well elsewhere.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Blistex posted:

They're not French/In Quebec, so western Canada either gives them a pass, ignores them, or doesn't know of them.

That would apply to anyone. Tibetan Sherpas either give them a pass, ignore them, or don't know of them.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mortabis posted:

Forget 200 miles, if you find a small boat that can reliably get out of the marina under its own power without me spending every other weekend working on it let me know.

This applies to your post and the post directly above it.

A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sounds like we need to use a different part of the spectrum then. How about gamma ray guidance?

brains
May 12, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

sounds like we need to use a different part of the spectrum then. How about gamma ray guidance?

undersea nuclear-pumped gamma ray laser datalinks :gritin:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Visual light is the part of the spectrum that penetrates water most efficiently, which is why it is the part of the spectrum that is visible.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Now I'm totally lost as to why we're talking about underwater lasers, but would light flashes within say 50 m be a good conduit for digital information?

The physcial properties of water that make it really poo poo for EM propagation make it excellent for sound propagation

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The laser is intended to be part of the photonics mast. (Presumably the beam is created by a hunk of kit inside the pressure hull and then directed with mirrors up the mast).

It's not for underwater use; it's a "deck gun" for drones and small boats.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Iirc there was R&D into using blue-green lasers for (submerged, like from airborne platforms to sub) communication and detection functions.

Not sure if that went anywhere.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

priznat posted:

Iirc there was R&D into using blue-green lasers for (submerged, like from airborne platforms to sub) communication and detection functions.

Not sure if that went anywhere.

a journal article published in Scientific Reports in 2017 from researchers at National Taiwan University posted:

To enable high-speed underwater wireless optical communication (UWOC) in tap-water and seawater environments over long distances, a 450-nm blue GaN laser diode (LD) directly modulated by pre-leveled 16-quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) data was employed to implement its maximal transmission capacity of up to 10 Gbps. The proposed UWOC in tap water provided a maximal allowable communication bit rate increase from 5.2 to 12.4 Gbps with the corresponding underwater transmission distance significantly reduced from 10.2 to 1.7 m, exhibiting a bit rate/distance decaying slope of −0.847 Gbps/m. When conducting the same type of UWOC in seawater, light scattering induced by impurities attenuated the blue laser power, thereby degrading the transmission with a slightly higher decay ratio of 0.941 Gbps/m. The blue LD based UWOC enables a 16-QAM OFDM bit rate of up to 7.2 Gbps for transmission in seawater more than 6.8 m.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5240338/

FWIW from my search most of the academic study on this subject appears to be happening in mainland China - if anyone in the US is working on it they don't seem to be publishing papers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I think they’re just catching up as I read about this back in the 90s I believe.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Anyway if anyone puts a frickin' laser beam on a submarine, it had better be named after a shark.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pretty skeptical of this. Buddy got it from a buddy. Doesn't seem particularly damaged either.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Also considering the extreme secrecy they had for stuff like Have Doughnut, you would think they'd put a loving tarp over it or something.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Gotta figure the Russians know that we know all their poo poo after they've been in Ukraine and Syria this long.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

priznat posted:

Yeah I think they’re just catching up as I read about this back in the 90s I believe.

I know I'm not the only one here who's read Cryptonomicon, where the tech shows up to control an ROV in an obvious case of "Neal Stephenson read about a thing and now it's in this book".

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The joe buff? novels about dogfighting attack subs slinging tac nuke torps at each other had some blue/green lidar being used from P3s and poo poo like that to detect subs hundreds of meters deep. People pull that poo poo all the time with whatever the newest thing discovered is being a tech miracle. Hell the john carter books were full of radium bullets being explosive when exposed to light able to make pinpoint shots dozens of miles away from a shoulder rifle

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I know I'm not the only one here who's read Cryptonomicon, where the tech shows up to control an ROV in an obvious case of "Neal Stephenson read about a thing and now it's in this book".

Isn't that all of his books? He'll read up about orbital mechanics or the many-worlds theory of quantum mechanics and then just go off

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Have Doughnut is such a great name for a secret operation.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Have Doughnut is such a great name for a secret operation.

Personally, I'm partial to the 1970s project to develop a stealth cruise missile, Senior Prom.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Memento posted:

Isn't that all of his books? He'll read up about orbital mechanics or the many-worlds theory of quantum mechanics and then just go off

Someone send him a book about a writer that finishes his books.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Personally, I'm partial to the 1970s project to develop a stealth cruise missile, Senior Prom.

this can’t possibly be true

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

this can’t possibly be true

Nah man Senior Prom is when we charge into a country, promise we'll pull out at the end, blow our load, and then get stuck in a sticky mess with no idea how it all went so wrong

Edit: holy poo poo it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Senior_Prom

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kesper North posted:

The laser is intended to be part of the photonics mast. (Presumably the beam is created by a hunk of kit inside the pressure hull and then directed with mirrors up the mast).

It's not for underwater use; it's a "deck gun" for drones and small boats.

Why not just put lasers on a surface ship instead

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Why not just put lasers on a surface ship instead

Subs are really difficult to attack if you don't have air and/or sea control. To the best of my knowledge, a massed hypersonic missile bombardment probably isn't an effective counter to them.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yeah so they wouldn't need a laser to defend against them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah so they wouldn't need a laser to defend against them.

As I said earlier, maybe they're for protecting other ships.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

A.o.D. posted:

As I said earlier, maybe they're for protecting other ships.

So you bring them to the surface so they can be targets as well? Am I missing something?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Blistex posted:

So you bring them to the surface so they can be targets as well? Am I missing something?

It's a periscope mast, my dude. The sub stays submerged.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Just put the lasers on a Ticonderoga

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm also not seeing the utility of arming an attack sub with a periscope laser. It'd have to be very near the surface and presumably moving very slowly to use this, negating a lot of the sub's advantages. I suppose they could try to shoot down a ASW aircraft or drone but if the laser misses or malfunctions, the sub is now an easy target. Or you could sink a small boat that's not worth a torpedo, I guess, but making a $2 billion sub reveal its location to kill a $500 boat is dumb

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

A.o.D. posted:

Subs are really difficult to attack if you don't have air and/or sea control. To the best of my knowledge, a massed hypersonic missile bombardment probably isn't an effective counter to them.

This is the first thing I thought of. Reminds me of the idea floated during planning for the invasion of the Japanese Home Islands of using submarines as radar pickets against kamikazes at night. I don't know if it's a good idea, but it's an idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

MrYenko posted:

Someone send him a book about a writer that finishes his books.

:hmmyes: