Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Arivia posted:

Cause he’s a goddamned incel who doesn’t know anything about history or etiquette but thinks that wearing a fedora gives him “swag”

jesus lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

hyperhazard posted:

I'm surprised that The Office is such a popular show with gen z. It was a good show and all, but it's slice of life that's very distinctly mid-to-late-2000s. The first season, Pam and her fiance have like a 2 or 3 year engagement that's supposed to be seen as super long and weird. Oscar comes out in the second? third? season and it ends with him kissing Michael while everyone gasps in horror. There's an episode about sexism in the workplace where Phyllis says that she's "not a feminist or anything" and everyone just kind of nods along.

I'd be interested in what you'd make of it if you rewatched it. Late in it's run, I stumbled across a forum (maybe the AVClub) where they would dissect each episode as it came out, and they were watching it like a soap opera: critiquing lines for "not being in character", demanding that plotlines "get closure", talking about what characters deserve or need. Having only seen the UK Office, it was weird.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

nonathlon posted:

I'd be interested in what you'd make of it if you rewatched it. Late in it's run, I stumbled across a forum (maybe the AVClub) where they would dissect each episode as it came out, and they were watching it like a soap opera: critiquing lines for "not being in character", demanding that plotlines "get closure", talking about what characters deserve or need. Having only seen the UK Office, it was weird.

I've been watching it for the first time, just finished Season 6. I find it kind of interesting that Michael and Dwight are basically the Id and the Superego of the company respectively, with Jim and Pam being the more static but stable Ego of the trio. Michael is purely emotional and incredibly active in trying to do stuff, often not thinking things through. The main throughline is his love for Dunder Mifflin and Paper as a thing. He loves paper in a very poetic way, he can get excited about it and get others excited about it which makes him a great salesman. He sees a blank piece of paper as an unlimited item, something of infinite possibilities, whether it becomes an expense report or one of Pam's paintings doesn't matter to him, it's just that it could be either.

Dwight on the other hand is obsessed with everything practical, he handmakes everything he needs with his cousin, is obsessed with paper much like Michael but on a more material level, preferring to focus on it's manufacture even to the level of knowing the best ways to nuture the trees that will become the paper. His practicality also extends to his relationships, whether his Childbearing Contract with Angela, or his reaction to finding mould in Jim and Pam's house when failing to find her iPod, which is to demolish the whole thing, scrub the mould out thoroughly, but then REBUILD their entire kitchen. He hasn't left it a mess like you'd expect, when they get back from Pam's birth of Cece, the kitchen is halfway rebuilt, and Dwight assures them that he'll only take two more days to complete it. It's a weird, invasive thing to do out of the blue, but it comes from a position of love - Dwight cares about his friends and cannot abide the idea of them raising a kid in a house full of mould so he fixes the situation for them.

Clarification: When I say Dwight is Practical, I never said that he is sensible. He is prone to taking things way too far but in ways that you can see the logic in, like his terrifying fire drill disaster - his logic "They didn't take my seminar seriously enough, so I'll MAKE them take fire safety seriously" can be understandable, but his actions there are anything but.

Then Jim and Pam are a bit of both. They stick around Dunder Mifflin out of loyalty to Michael but also for practical reasons, they aren't afraid to manipulate certain situations to advance their careers. They don't care about Dunder Mifflin itself beyond it paying their mortgage,but thy do care about Michael and Dwight and effectively reality check them as much as they mess with them, often trying to help them at their lowest points. Their lack of overall passion tends to make them spin their wheels a lot, but they know what's best for them and pursue it.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Feb 9, 2020

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

nonathlon posted:

What's stood out at me the most is the tone shift between the episodes with Michael and the episodes after he leaves. (I've been jumping around a bit, so maybe it's not as sudden when you watch it straight through.) The last few seasons are more...fun? lighthearted? The characters don't really "stay in character," like Andy will be the romantic hero one episode and the villain the next, and it goes into absurdist humor by the finale, with Nellie stealing a baby and all, but it doesn't matter because you can tell they're having fun with it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

Cause he’s a goddamned incel who doesn’t know anything about history or etiquette but thinks that wearing a fedora gives him “swag”

Neckbeards and incels going all in on fedora and trilbies as casual wear is one of the biggest self owns I've ever been alive to see.

For all the "don't judge a book by its cover" parables I was told growing up there is a 0% chance someone wearing a hat like that isnt a completely loving weirdo who has very strong views on woman and chads.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The should I get a fedora flowchart is a single question, Are you a film noir detective?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Alaois posted:

lmao at the idea of "the girl next door" is some alien, inscrutable trope of the far nippon

That's disingenuous. Dawson's Creek or Spiderman or whatever where the guys falls for the girl next door is one thing, and pretty relatable.

Love Hina, and others cut from its cloth (of which there are numerous, including one of the most popular anime/manga of the past year), are a completely different weird beast. The formula goes:

1. Guy meets girl as a young child, usually primary school age.
  2. Guy and girl make promise of marriage/love/etc.
  3. Guy or girl moves away, is gone for years with no contact.
  4. Guy becomes weirdo friendless nerd.
  5. Girl pines over guy for yeeaars.
  6. Guy and girl meet again, but guy probably doesn't recognize/remember her.
  7. Suddenly, harem of girls who all want to inexplicably jump the bones of this friendless loser because... v0v
  8. Guy and girl go through dozens of contrived situations where dude gradually realizes he likes the girl, but the girl spurns him for not recognizing/remembering him in the first place.
  9. Guy is still a friendless loser, but gets the girl because... anime.
  10. Profit.

It's probably not uniquely Japanese, but they've weaponized it and sell it like hotcakes, and it's awful. Namaste.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Neckbeards and incels going all in on fedora and trilbies as casual wear is one of the biggest self owns I've ever been alive to see.

For all the "don't judge a book by its cover" parables I was told growing up there is a 0% chance someone wearing a hat like that isnt a completely loving weirdo who has very strong views on woman and chads.

The clothes don't make the man the man makes the clothes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sassassin posted:

Why are you wearing a hat indoors?

Why does anyone do anything?!

Jerk

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

hyperhazard posted:

What's stood out at me the most is the tone shift between the episodes with Michael and the episodes after he leaves. (I've been jumping around a bit, so maybe it's not as sudden when you watch it straight through.) The last few seasons are more...fun? lighthearted? The characters don't really "stay in character," like Andy will be the romantic hero one episode and the villain the next, and it goes into absurdist humor by the finale, with Nellie stealing a baby and all, but it doesn't matter because you can tell they're having fun with it.

Andy goes all over the place as a character. The last season he was missing for half of it due to filming one of the Hangover movies, and it's almost like the writers wanted to do him dirty for that.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Andy as a character was a mess, but not in a fun way like Michael was. His character from the beginning was all over the place. He’s a sycophant and lesser rival to Jim & Dwight one episode, next he’s a weirdly abusive dude with a serious anger problem. In the final episode he’s one of the employees that the crowd loves and recognizes, humming his dumb catchphrase. It really felt like the writers never really knew what to do with the character so he became whatever the plot called for each week.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They should have split Jim and Pam up in the end. Just really dig into the realism. Have Pam start a relationship with the exceptionally good looking boom mic guy. Jim commits suicide when his custody battle fails because he puts the judge's gavel in jello.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Len posted:

The should I get a fedora flowchart is a single question, Are you a film noir detective?

The problem with the fedoras is that it's an accessory, not the entire outfit.
You want a fedora? Get the goddamn tailored suit to go with it, and clean yourself up while you're at it.

Fedoras are not meant to accompany your 2 sizes too small ahego t-shirt.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Sweevo posted:

Trans jokes were the go-to for a while in that period where people realised it wasn't socially acceptable to make gay jokes any more, but still wanted to make them.

oh they still are, despite having a trans character and multiple nonstandard relationships up until that point, Trailer Park Boys drops a hard T slur in season 11, which is years after they became Netflix exclusive.

Trailer Park Boys in general just gets really mean after season 7 and i don't get it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

oh they still are, despite having a trans character and multiple nonstandard relationships up until that point, Trailer Park Boys drops a hard T slur in season 11, which is years after they became Netflix exclusive.

Trailer Park Boys in general just gets really mean after season 7 and i don't get it?

I'm guessing the old writers left and new writers who didn't get the joke came in. (or the old writers got burnt out and ran out of ideas)

If left on too long, every show eventually becomes Bush Friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-AQNR93Nc4

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I don't understand how writers can get burnt out on a show that's largely improv and the plotline "Crime, Then Jail."

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Trailer Park Boys was all headed up by its creator Mike Clattenburg until the end of season 7. He did two more films, then peaced out. The actors who portray Ricky, Julian and Bubbles then bought the rights to the franchise and took up the helm starting with season 8. There is an immediate and titanic drop in quality and the show is not worth watching from that point forward.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i'm just about to the animated series and i'll admit once Julian fucks off to the lobster boat things get a little bit better. are any of the live specials worthwhile?

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i'm just about to the animated series and i'll admit once Julian fucks off to the lobster boat things get a little bit better. are any of the live specials worthwhile?
To their credit, season 12 is noticeably better than the other Netflix seasons even tho it's still pretty not great. It at least does a better job avoiding being painfully bad.

I never watched the live specials, but the Europe trip series is horrendous, the USA trip one is OK enough, and the Animated Series is also horrendous! Vibe of that is very mid 2000s Comedy Central cartoon, which I of course mean as a grievous insult

Make sure you've caught the prequel Xmas special, the original easy-to-miss series finale Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys, which picks up where season 7 left off, and the follow up film to that Countdown to Liquor Day. Those are all pretty darn good!

Whatev has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Feb 10, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
yeah i think my feelings for the later seasons are just because i didn't know where in sequence the movies went, so i'm just watching them all now.

well. guess i can probably stop now. maybe i'll check a spoiler blog or two later, but i think i know how it'll end.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Interesting discussion on twitter today about how talkshow hosts used to jeer at celebrities with problems, punching down, and whether that has gone away.

https://twitter.com/jonronson/status/1226613240941154307

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Whatev posted:

Make sure you've caught the prequel Xmas special, the original easy-to-miss series finale Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys, which picks up where season 7 left off, and the follow up film to that Countdown to Liquor Day. Those are all pretty darn good!

I was pretty happy for this to be where TPB ended, at least for me.

I mean imagine watching Swearnet: The Movie and going, yep, they STILL GOT IT

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nonathlon posted:

Interesting discussion on twitter today about how talkshow hosts used to jeer at celebrities with problems, punching down, and whether that has gone away.

I know this focuses on Late Night, but my first thought was "Yeah, Wendy Williams and Steve Harvey still have jobs, so gently caress humanity, I guess."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Whatev posted:

To their credit, season 12 is noticeably better than the other Netflix seasons even tho it's still pretty not great. It at least does a better job avoiding being painfully bad.

I never watched the live specials, but the Europe trip series is horrendous, the USA trip one is OK enough, and the Animated Series is also horrendous! Vibe of that is very mid 2000s Comedy Central cartoon, which I of course mean as a grievous insult

Yeah, Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys is really funny, and works really well. As much as I retroactively wish they had stuck with season 7 as an ending, it was still really good.

Countdown to Liquor Day was OK. I just don't think the movie format works as well as 30-minute episodes does.

I'll also defend some of the Netflix seasons, because the boys were always the writers before that. I liked season 9, the season where the whole park is turned into a retirement park, because Colonel Dancer was such a great antagonist for Ricky. The season after that, where Snoop Dogg, Tom Arnold, and Doug Benson show up is slow and mean at the beginning (and yet somehow everyone forgives and forgets later). Season 11 finale is bonkers, though. Not only did we already have Lahey going nuts (with Randy in tow) trying to kill and getting money out of it in previous seasons, but the way they threatened Bubbles was just over the top.

Agreed, season 12 wasn't bad.

nonathlon posted:

I remember Jay Leno complaining that late night was getting "too political" these days, and people responded with, "And how many Monica Lewinsky jokes did you tell, again?"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
When somebody whines about something being too political, it almost ALWAYS means "Doesn't jibe with my personal views".

See also: Kid Rock complaining about bands being political, then stumping for Trump a few years later.

Stopped watching TPB awhile ago but Jon Torrens is great on that show (and Letterkenny).

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 19:25 on Feb 10, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

When somebody whines about something being too political, it almost ALWAYS means "Doesn't jibe with my personal views".

See also: Kid Rock complaining about bands being political, then stumping for Trump a few years later.

Yeah, it's funny how "I'm sick of people being political" is almost always followed by a bunch of right-wing talking points verbatim

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Stopped watching TPB awhile ago but Jon Torrens is great on that show (and Letterkenny).

What? He's on Letterkenny? gently caress, I gotta pick that up again. That's a great show but I don't have the service that shows it. His podcast was good, too, but I also stopped keeping up with that.

I have watched TPB probably ten times, catching the latter half of the original run as it was coming out, and I absolutely consider "A poo poo River Runs Through It" to be the series finale. Going through the Netflix Seasons really makes me realize that Wells, Tremblay, and Smith were not the brains of the original operation.
And Julian absolutely suuucks in the Netflix seasons. It's not just me, right? I find it impossible to get over how much I dislike him now. I even listened to their podcast for like five episodes before I decided I didn't even want to listen to him talk anymore.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Diet Poison posted:

What? He's on Letterkenny? gently caress, I gotta pick that up again. That's a great show but I don't have the service that shows it. His podcast was good, too, but I also stopped keeping up with that.

I have watched TPB probably ten times, catching the latter half of the original run as it was coming out, and I absolutely consider "A poo poo River Runs Through It" to be the series finale. Going through the Netflix Seasons really makes me realize that Wells, Tremblay, and Smith were not the brains of the original operation.
And Julian absolutely suuucks in the Netflix seasons. It's not just me, right? I find it impossible to get over how much I dislike him now. I even listened to their podcast for like five episodes before I decided I didn't even want to listen to him talk anymore.

It's no surprise you didn't recognize Jonathan Torrens unless you're really good at recognizing Canadian actors. He's father Dyck with the giant white beard. I saw right through his disguise and had to check immediately, funnily enough.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Julian's character is all over the place but not in a way that highlights his hypocracy or comments on the dude-dynamic of the 'Boys. the show can't decide if Ricky or Julian is the one who inspires more criminal activity. i wish the show had settled on a more consistent id/ego dynamic between ricky and julian because Bubbles is (in the later seasons) clearly supposed to be a superego type voice of reason deal.

Munnyvale and the retirement home were decent arcs, even if the character dynamics weren't super satisfying. but it's just confusing from a narrative perspective to have ricky suffer consequences for involving kids in their schemes in earlier seasons, just for Julian to turn around and give the bottle kids liquor and smokes for making Lahey bleed, while Ricky sits back and hollers about things being too greasy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

Yeah, he plays a mennonite who keeps inadvertently making double entendres, and he has a weird verbal tic where he ends a lot of sentences with "once"

(I think it's supposed to be mennonite thing but dont know anything about them)

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Diet Poison posted:

Yeah, they started to lean too heavily on everyone disliking Julian because he keeps trying to come up with moneymaking schemes and alienating everyone. He was best when he was trying to just live his life and having to clean up after Ricky. I also thought that Ricky became a little too belligerent when he just kept fighting with Randy for no reason.

I think the other problem is that the seasonal plots seem to meander and never quite focus. The season 5 storyline with the hash driveway made sense episode to episode, and culminated in a great finale. Same with the Swayzie Express. In comparison, the Snoop Dogg season just kind of spun its wheels with the women threatening Lahey, which was no fun.

Still, Julian living as a lobster fisherman in a shipping container was a hilarious reveal.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah, Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys is really funny, and works really well. As much as I retroactively wish they had stuck with season 7 as an ending, it was still really good.

Countdown to Liquor Day was OK. I just don't think the movie format works as well as 30-minute episodes does.
The climax is not very satisfying, but I quite like Countdown to Liquor Day on the whole! There's lotsa primo crap in it. Ricky righteously shaving off Randy's beautiful hair and then Randy drawing his hair back on with a sharpie was wonderful, and I dig how well it builds up the boys' frustration with where their lives are. It also does a top notch job balancing the hosed uppedness of its characters with sweetness and sentimentality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7cdbAs7P_k
I love how Ray seamlessly mixes dumb, pathetic poo poo with legit nurturing wisdom here (there's no spoilers in that clip btw).

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I bounced off TPB early into the Netflix revival but Ray is low-key my favorite all time character aside from Lahey.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Laterite posted:

I bounced off TPB early into the Netflix revival but Ray is low-key my favorite all time character aside from Lahey.

I love how often Ray pulls the "the guy in the chair" card on people he knows already know he's just scamming the government for disability. Also how religious he is despite being super scummy. Great character, probably half the reason the Netflix seasons aren't any good is cause Barrie Dunn frigged off.

e: And on thread topic, how about how much fuckin money Ricky dropped on those encyclopedias for Trinity? I don't remember what year it was, but surely by then he coulda got her a computer instead. Not so much a "didn't age well due to cultural norms" but it's one of those things that makes the episode more immediately dated than, say, nobody having a cell phone.

Diet Poison has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Feb 11, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i think they were 300? and i figured he went for encyclopedias because that's traditionally what smart people had in their homes. libraries have encyclopedias, it's a cargo cult kind of thing

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Julian's character is all over the place but not in a way that highlights his hypocracy or comments on the dude-dynamic of the 'Boys. the show can't decide if Ricky or Julian is the one who inspires more criminal activity. i wish the show had settled on a more consistent id/ego dynamic between ricky and julian because Bubbles is (in the later seasons) clearly supposed to be a superego type voice of reason deal.

eh, i think they made it work. julian and ricky are both hardcore criminals, but they approach it from different angles; for julian, it's a path to getting rich, whereas for ricky, it's just subsistence. the end result is that julian is "better" at being a criminal, but acts like an rear end in a top hat over it and tends to overextend himself, whereas ricky is a whole lot dumber but a whole lot nicer and a whole lot more willing to keep things within reasonable limits.

e: also, i'll go to bat for the first two Netflix seasons too. 10 is weird and bad and I dropped it there, but 8 and 9 are fine

WeedlordGoku69 has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Feb 11, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the thing that really shocked me about netflix TPB is the homophobia

like, early on, TPB really kind of goes out of its way to treat the queer characters as regular people and make it clear that they're 100% accepted by everyone for it. and then they introduce Don/na, and handle them actually pretty okay at first (it's fairly rare to see a genderfluid character on TV at all let alone one who isn't inherently treated as a joke)... but then the very next goddamn season they swerve to the character being a binary transwoman who's also a sexual predator and rapes Randy

seriously, what the gently caress?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
fuuuuuck that whole halibut episode made me profoundly uncomfortable. i was honestly shocked that they took it that far for such a non-joke. they're already needlessly cruel to randy for his history of sex work. plus the only woman to really be at-all sympathetic this far into the season is Trinity, but most of her scenes she's a background character as Sarah or someone else fights.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like, early on, TPB really kind of goes out of its way to treat the queer characters as regular people and make it clear that they're 100% accepted by everyone for it. and then they introduce Don/na, and handle them actually pretty okay at first (it's fairly rare to see a genderfluid character on TV at all let alone one who isn't inherently treated as a joke)... but then the very next goddamn season they swerve to the character being a binary transwoman who's also a sexual predator and rapes Randy

seriously, what the gently caress?

i notice people talk about this kind of thing a lot and i think it just shows that to the writers, a character being gay/trans/etc is enough of a punchline in the first place. people take a lack of explicit bigotry as a sign of acceptance, and then the writers start writing actual "jokes" about it later on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

I love how often Ray pulls the "the guy in the chair" card on people he knows already know he's just scamming the government for disability. Also how religious he is despite being super scummy. Great character, probably half the reason the Netflix seasons aren't any good is cause Barrie Dunn frigged off.

One of the funnier things with TPB is how many of the actors had to have day jobs because of how crap the pay was. Like Barrie Dunn is a practicing lawyer, Lucy Decoutere is a Captain in the air force, and Randy used to film seasons using his vacation time from his job as a regional sales manager for a bottled water company.