Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DC Murderverse posted:

ahahahahah make a gif out of Charlize and Tom Hanks raising the roof to get them to turn the lights back on

here it is:

https://twitter.com/enews/status/1226725642923839488

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DC Murderverse posted:

shape of water won 2 years ago, Moonlight won it 3 year ago

Get Out ought to have beat Shape of Water though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Homeybeef posted:

They let Joker and Rene talk for 30 minutes each and were going to cut this of. gently caress this academy

Yeah, this was a pretty lovely oscars, production wise.

Still glad Parasite took the top spot tho.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

DC Murderverse posted:

shape of water won 2 years ago, Moonlight won it 3 year ago

1. Lady Bird

2. Yeah fine.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

They brought down the lights and shifted the spotlight to Jane Fonda to wrap up the show mid-speech by the Best Picture winners, crowd refused to let it happen.

But it's delayed bong from getting wasted....

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Hold up, why is everybody making comments about Boon getting drunk? Seen it on 3 sites now.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Untrustable posted:

I'd like to say that Joker was not a bad movie and Phoenix was very good in it, but it was not good enough to be nominated for anything beyond Phoenix's performance.

I found it to be a near perfect example of tension building and release.

But I wouldn't put it in the same class as Parasite, Little Women, or even 1917 (which I found almost completely forgettable.)

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm fine with all the oscars results minus the fact Sandler didn't win one, let alone even get the nom.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Krataar posted:

Hold up, why is everybody making comments about Boon getting drunk on sochu? Seen it on 3 sites now.

He ended two (three?) winner speeches by saying he was going to be getting trashed by morning.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Krataar posted:

Hold up, why is everybody making comments about Boon getting drunk on sochu? Seen it on 3 sites now.

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1226726515175350274

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Krataar posted:

Hold up, why is everybody making comments about Boon getting drunk? Seen it on 3 sites now.

Because in his second(?) speech he talked about how drunk he was going to get tonight.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I'm also glad Parasite is probably getting a slightly extended theatrical run. I really want to go see it again.

I mean, I'll probaly also buy the Blu-Ray but still.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Krataar posted:

When he won for Best International Picture he made a long speech thanking everybody and finished by saying he was going to go drink till morning. When he won Best Director he looked legitimately shocked and basically praised his fellow nominees, particularly Scorcese, and joked he was REALLY gonna go get drunk now. Then he won Best Picture :c00l:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I found it to be a near perfect example of tension building and release.

But I wouldn't put it in the same class as Parasite, Little Women, or even 1917 (which I found almost completely forgettable.)

Yeah it's not aggressively bad like a lot of people make it out to be. It's just an ok movie with an oscar-worthy lead performance. The rest is just ok.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Did Irishman get shut out? AKA American Hustled?

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Got it, apparently I'm deaf I somehow missed all that. I'm really glad it won and not the usual fare

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
RIP Bong Joon's liver

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Untrustable posted:

Yeah it's not aggressively bad like a lot of people make it out to be. It's just an ok movie with an oscar-worthy lead performance. The rest is just ok.

It may not be aggressively bad but its stans are insufferable enough to make me hate it on a visceral level.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Overall very happy with the awards tonight. Parasite owns, Brad Pitt was great in OUaTiH, Phoenix was great in Joker, I haven't seen Marriage Story, and what the gently caress is Judy?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

So, in terms of numbers:

Parasite won the most with four (Pictures, Director, Foreign, Original Screenplay)

1917 won three (Sound mixing, cinematography, and Visual Effects

Ford v Ferrari won two (Editing, Sound editing)

Once Upon a Time won two (Prod. Design, Supt. Actor - Brad Pitt)

Joker won two (Best Original Score, Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix)

One-offs include:
Judy (Best Actress - Renee Zellweger)
Marriage Story (Best Supt. Actress - Laura Dern)
Toy Story 4 (Best Animated)
Jojo Rabbit (Adapted Screenplay)
Bombshell (Makeup)
Little Women (Costume Design)

Hope that helps.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Ford v. Ferrari winning Best Editing is very appropriate because without a good edit that would have been the most unremarkable movie.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It didn't win a single nomination, so yes.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Finally, Crouching Tiger has been avenged

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

When was the last time the Palme d'Or winner also won BP? I feel like that hasn't happened in decades unless I'm forgetting something obvious.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Joker may have deserved best original score based on what I heard of it, whereas every clip I’ve seen of the movie and/or Phoenix in or out of character makes me think it must be absolutely dreadful.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Cacator posted:

When was the last time the Palme d'Or winner also won BP? I feel like that hasn't happened in decades unless I'm forgetting something obvious.

Marty, apparently

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cacator posted:

I feel like you'd have to go all the way back to like Marty.

e;fb

Watch Marty anyways if you haven't seen it, its pretty good.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

PT6A posted:

The Joker may have deserved best original score based on what I heard of it, whereas every clip I’ve seen of the movie and/or Phoenix in or out of character makes me think it must be absolutely dreadful.

It is a fine movie. It's one of those things where if viewed in a bubble, ignoring it's weird rabid fanbase, is a perfectly serviceable film. A bit derivative, it aims high but misses by quite a margin. Worth it for Phoenix's performance.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Fun fact: the previous government of South Korea had blacklisted that director. The government basically had barred him (and hundreds of other artists) from producing anything.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

What was the thing Bong said during one of his acceptance speeches that the translator very obviously didn't translate accurately? It was clear because whatever he said included some English loanwords, but the translator then kind of flinched and then said something like "I'm so excited" or some other vapid acceptance-y phrase.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Eifert Posting posted:

Fun fact: the previous government of South Korea had blacklisted that director. The government basically had barred him (and hundreds of other artists) from producing anything.

I bet they are eating this poo poo up too.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Eifert Posting posted:

wasn't the previous government run by that lady who had her own personal rasputin fortune teller / ponzi schemer running things behind the scenes

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

wasn't the previous government run by that lady who had her own personal rasputin fortune teller / ponzi schemer running things behind the scenes

Park GeunHye, yep. She also was the daughter of a mass murdering dictator. It's almost as if state-sponsored censorship is a bad thing.

Korean cinema owns. Lived there for ~4 years and never got into much of their tv or music but loved the cinema.

My Face When posted:

I bet they are eating this poo poo up too.
The current government is basically Bernie so...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Eifert Posting posted:

Eifert Posting posted:

Park GeunHye, yep. She also was the daughter of a mass murdering dictator. It's almost as if state-sponsored censorship is a bad thing.

Korean cinema owns. Lived there for ~4 years and never got into much of their tv or music but loved the cinema.

The current government is basically Bernie so...

Ah I wasn't sure if you meant the military dictatorship in general or the previous administration. So that's why he only wrote one movie between Snowpiercer and Okja, which itself was funded by Netflix?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Don’t event pretend you weren’t into this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGbwL8kSpEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAbokV76tkU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
PGH got impeached in '17, so it was likely ~3 years from '14 to '17. Bong is a member of the left-most political party in Korea and is very vocal about his beliefs.

Edit: the only Korean pop music I got into was this guy:

https://youtu.be/GmbTjuj5hBI

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 10, 2020

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

morestuff posted:

Marty, apparently

Or as Herb Stempel calls it, “On the Waterfront”

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Disney threatened to assassinate academy members if they voted for anything on the Irishman after what Scorsese correctly said about superhero movies.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Just saw the results. I’m so glad Parasite beat that lovely war movie for best picture, wooo Boon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

And two actors have received an academy award for playing the Joker now (Phoenix deserved it).