Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I watched Dolittle last night.

Honestly? I didn't think it was that bad. It wasn't great or anything, but there was some cute animal stuff and a few of the jokes made me laugh. It's the kind of thing I'd be fine watching on like, a lazy weekend afternoon if it happened to be on TV.

The animated intro was great, though. I kind of wish we could get an entire movie done like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hell of a lineup.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There was a madea film?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I urge anyone who hates themselves and/or Travolta to watch The Fanatic. It’s on Prime, just go in blind and let the movie happen to you.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

There was a madea film?

There is always a Madea film.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Madea Made A Film. It’s tyler Perry’s answer to 8½

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I urge anyone who hates themselves and/or Travolta to watch The Fanatic. It’s on Prime, just go in blind and let the movie happen to you.

It's what happens when a cringe is adapted into a movie, and should be watched by anyone who is into genuine trainwreck cinema.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I watched the video RLM made about it and I can’t believe it got funded and that Travolta agreed to play THAT role

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

I watched the video RLM made about it and I can’t believe it got funded and that Travolta agreed to play THAT role

PAWPYCAWK

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Fanatic is better than the Joker

Moose is in the house!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Getting Peter Cetera is :discourse:

muscles like this! posted:

They probably mean the "wife died of cancer" part of the summary.

It helped make The Grey extremely emotional

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Vandar posted:

I watched Dolittle last night.

Honestly? I didn't think it was that bad. It wasn't great or anything, but there was some cute animal stuff and a few of the jokes made me laugh. It's the kind of thing I'd be fine watching on like, a lazy weekend afternoon if it happened to be on TV.

The animated intro was great, though. I kind of wish we could get an entire movie done like that.

Same, including the thoughts about the animation. I think critics just decided to go all knives out on it ahead of time so it got flayed instead of being classified an interesting mess. It has flaws and obvious sections where it was chopped up or scenes not filled and replaced by narration but holds together enough, and RDJ is amazing as usual. I think the boy should have been replaced by the girl on the journey as she was a better actor, and more Antonio Banderas would have been good too

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s a perfect storm of bad movie decisions.

- Directed and written by a guy who has no business being behind a camera
- Washed up A/B-list actor playing a mentally challenged character in the vaguest and most insensitive way
- Completely unnecessary voiceover narration that the writer almost certainly thought was deeply profound
- Nonsense plot
- Surprise gore

I honestly think it’s worse than Birdemic just because there’s no excuse for Travolta’s performance. It’s amazing.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Travolta's first line in the movie lets you know exactly how insane it's going to be but still doesn't prepare you for that performance. Truly a great example of

Black Lighter posted:

genuine trainwreck cinema.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just loved the bit in the film where the characters talk about how much they love Limp Bizkit

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm so glad Netflix finally post this clip to YouTube after Cats are in the news for the wrong reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GKN1QvjFDc

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I think the first trailer to this dropped like 3 months ago so I'm late to the party but I just watched the Call in the Wild trailer because it sounded like might be neat outside adventure film and I like Harrison Ford

Within 5 seconds I said, "oof, bad CGI"

That was before the dog showed up

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I just don't understand why the dog is CG.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Watched birds of prey last night and... It was pretty good? They don't bother to pretend Gotham is a dark brooding horrible city and just focus on giving the audience a fun ride, the jokes land most of the time and the visuals were kinetic, though sometimes the cherography and camerawork (especially action scenes) suffer from how fast everything was. At least two acts of violence that elicited "ohhhh" from the audience. It's nothing deep but definitely worth a watch.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rabbi Tupac posted:

I just don't understand why the dog is CG.

I kinda get it, they don't want to have an actual dog doing dangerous things and they want to avoid anything like that scandal A Dog's Purpose had, but they kinda overcorrected and decided "let's not use a real dog at any point in filming".

Like maybe it's just for consistency's sake but it looks really cartoony and bad.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is the funniest part to me, that they couldn’t get the license to any of the characters that random people dress up as in Hollywood to try and get easy tourist money, so they went with... retro British cop stereotype??? it makes stunningly zero sense.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Watched birds of prey last night and... It was pretty good? They don't bother to pretend Gotham is a dark brooding horrible city and just focus on giving the audience a fun ride, the jokes land most of the time and the visuals were kinetic, though sometimes the cherography and camerawork (especially action scenes) suffer from how fast everything was. At least two acts of violence that elicited "ohhhh" from the audience. It's nothing deep but definitely worth a watch.

The movie has its moments but does not benefit aesthetically or narratively from having to tie into the larger DC Extended Universe.

The one-off gags (e.g. Harley's profiles of who hates her and why, Huntress being really good at killing but awkward at everything else) hit the mark, but the movie has little internal cohesion, even down to its portrayal of violence (Is it supposed to be cartoon-y or disturbing?).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

QuoProQuid posted:

but the movie has little internal cohesion, even down to its portrayal of violence (Is it supposed to be cartoon-y or disturbing?).

Sounds like the most accurate superhero comic movie ever made then.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yikes

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1226536610273153029?s=21

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I can see it BoP getting by on word of mouth and not having much competition this whole month other than Sonic.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Starting to think people are a little tired of these DC moopies

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Starting to think people are a little tired of these DC moopies

Based on the joker box office Maybe people hate women?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

which one of you dweebs is this:

https://twitter.com/stevensantos/status/1226652542584573953

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

lol I watched that last week on HBO Go and wondered why there wasn't a big fan push for a sequel because that movie just straight up doesn't have an ending. (or maybe I missed the push)

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

AngryBooch posted:

lol I watched that last week on HBO Go and wondered why there wasn't a big fan push for a sequel because that movie just straight up doesn't have an ending. (or maybe I missed the push)

Fans want it, but the movie was released just as Disney was buying Fox. It put a damper on everything because all the decision makers changed about its future. It'd be great, but Cameron would have to get involved again and he's doing the Avatar movies.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 10, 2020

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Another Wonder Woman this year will make mad money again.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Fans want it, but the movie was released just as Disney was buying Fox. It put a damper on everything because all the decision makers changed about its future. It'd be great, but Cameron would have to get involved again and he's doing the Avatar movies.

Wait until Avatar 2 makes billions, then Cameron can say "more Alita or no more Avatar".

I hope Avatar 2 makes billions if that's the case.

Edit:
Hey, Roger Deakins won an Oscar!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Another Wonder Woman this year will make mad money again.

Wait until Avatar 2 makes billions, then Cameron can say "more Alita or no more Avatar".

I hope Avatar 2 makes billions if that's the case.

Edit:
Hey, Roger Deakins won an Oscar!

he's loving up my favourite oscars running gag.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

That he doesn’t win?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not really sure who Birds of Prey was supposed to appeal to. I want there to be more movies about female superheroes and the most I could muster was 'I'll watch it when it comes out on streaming, maybe'

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Its hard doing female antiheroes, especially as a spin-off when they were 2nd fiddle

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I just saw Birds o Prey and it owned and didnt give any fucks about being serious and i was laughing throughout

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I didn’t call parasite for best picture/director but more because the smart money was on 1917. Glad I was wrong though

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowman_McK posted:

He already won for Blade Runner 2049.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Alan Smithee posted:

I think it was the trailer. The trailer made it look absolutely awful. Combine that with DC's history of terrible films and I think people have just stopped giving them the benefit of the doubt.

My friends go to watch all the comic book films at the cinema and the trailer made them skip this one. And these are people who went to see Suicide Squad.