Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Fartbox posted:

How many people outside of china have died?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

thats scary

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
For some amusing incompetence.

quote:

A luxury around-the-world cruise has been diverted to Fremantle in Western Australia, instead of Singapore, over concerns about a potential coronavirus outbreak.

The Queen Mary II is currently docked in Phuket, Thailand, and was due to arrive in Singapore next week.

Instead, it will travel straight to WA, docking at Fremantle Port on February 18.

The itinerary was originally due to include Singapore, Saigon, Nha Trang and Hong Kong.

Now, it will take on an Australian itinerary, with those expected to board in Singapore able to join the cruise from Fremantle at the cruise operator’s expense.

Singapore not safe to dock in? That's OK, we'll skip it and fly people in from Singapore to dock else-ware. Surely this can have no possible downsides.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
It is comical, but what is more comical is why anyone in their right minds would want to get on a cruise ship in the current situation.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

kaesarsosei posted:

Is is too simplistic to say that this thing will only kill the already weak or those with underlying health issues?

Or if the opposite, let's say I am a very fit and healthy 40 year old who has never smoked and only has the odd drink 1-2 nights a week - how is this thing going to kill me?

You're already dead, sorry to say it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If I were going on a cruise I would board in a full bio suit and bring a decontamination kit. Be the sole survivor.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

If I were going on a cruise I would board in a full bio suit and bring a decontamination kit. Be the sole survivor.

Easiest salvage score ever.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

kaesarsosei posted:

Is is too simplistic to say that this thing will only kill the already weak or those with underlying health issues?

Or if the opposite, let's say I am a very fit and healthy 40 year old who has never smoked and only has the odd drink 1-2 nights a week - how is this thing going to kill me?

It seems to have about a 2000% higher chance to kill the general population versus the season flu. It could be as much as 5000% higher but we cant tell this early on. The only reason we are concerned about this is because of how badly it floods the lungs it can kill healthy, moderately aged people too.

kaesarsosei posted:

It is comical, but what is more comical is why anyone in their right minds would want to get on a cruise ship in the current situation.

Peer pressure is a hell of a drug. Or being afraid of your in-laws pressure I guess. That being said you are totally not going to catch the coronavirus on your rich white people Caribbean cruise. But the realistic chance of a scare on your cruise, which will end up in you staying on the ship for months as its quarantined and turned into a literal floating prison ala waterworld, makes the trip not worth the risk.

coronavirus fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 10, 2020

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

GP practice in Brighton closes after staff member tests positive for coronavirus
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51447761

Chrs posted:

Brighton (the Wuhan of the UK)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hopefully the new daily numbers in china keep trending down but i just can't believe at this point that it can be contained

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

kaesarsosei posted:

Very carefully

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Do they gently caress pangolins in Brighton too

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Do they gently caress pangolins in Brighton too

A bunch of doctors on a ski trip to the French alps have contracted it from a guy they were in the hotel with.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Vegetable posted:

My guess is that India isn’t hit yet because Chinese people don’t really go there. Most of the other affected countries are major Chinese destinations.

There are Indian students who go to school in Wuhan. Wuhan is a major city. I think Modi met Xi in Wuhan too.

https://twitter.com/MajorPoonia/status/1223870627443924998

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

2 cruise ships that had people get on board at just the right time (before travel restrictions, after outbreak became widespread enough to have decent odds of getting carriers among the passengers) are quarantined and are not great places to be stuck

56 other mega cruise ships are just fine

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

This doesn't seem good:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.06.20020941v1

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Travel rate to regions has totally imploded but they assume it’s the same, that’s what’s wrong with the model

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's a little hard to understand but I think you misread that, I think it only assumes people were travelling until Jan 23.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I wonder if they took into account people smuggling themselves out of impacted regions, sick or asymptomatic.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

It's a little hard to understand but I think you misread that, I think it only assumes people were travelling until Jan 23.

You’re right

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've heard rumors that Chinese people in wuhan are currently locked into a death match with roving gangs of wild pangolins, who push them to the ground with their enormous titties while coughing onto them. Millions have died so far in this struggle. They've also acquired boats and are currently looking for suitable cruise ships to board.

All of this might just be rumors but I want my fellow goons to stay up to date and safe.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

BoldFace posted:

It can send anyone to the ICU. There is no certainty, only probabilities.

This is what people don’t get. They might see 10% chance of being sent to the ICU, and think “Ah ok, basically no risk”. A different way of putting it might be “for 1 in 10 people there is a 100% chance of going to the ICU” not that is a lot better. But it at least communicates how dire it can be for those that get it. People see 10% and feel like it’s something they can dodge or shrug off.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Nobody goes to the icu without significant risk of death

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I’m curious about the critical/serious cases reported (like 4000 last time I looked). Like, how many critical cases so far made a recovery.

I’m assuming they’re not just keeping them alive without hope to make the number look good, since they’re so short on medical resources (and they could just lie about the number anyway)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Nobody goes to the icu without significant risk of death

Everyone has a significant risk of death

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Corona virus incubation period may be from 5 days to 100 years!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Chrs posted:

Also four more people in Brighton (the Wuhan of the UK) have been diagnosed with the virus bringing the total up to 8 in the UK.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/10/coronavirus-uk-declares-outbreak-serious-threat-to-health

There is a super shedder in Brighton which is part of the reason for the UK making that health announcement:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51447761

quote:

One of the eight people infected in the UK is a British man who caught the virus at a conference in Singapore and travelled to a ski resort in France.

He was diagnosed in Brighton, and is being treated at St Thomas' Hospital in London.

He has been linked to five of the other cases - four of which were announced on Monday.

In addition to the eight cases in the UK, five British nationals tested positive in France following the Brighton man's trip to the ski resort.

A British man has also been diagnosed with coronavirus in Majorca after contact with a carrier in France.

Elsewehere, the Department of Health has introduced new measures in England that mean those in quarantine will not be free to leave, and can be forcibly sent into isolation if they pose a threat.

The move comes after a passenger on the first UK flight from Wuhan, who is being held in quarantine on the Wirral, had been "threatening to abscond", according to the BBC's political correspondent Iain Watson.
Where had the Brighton coronavirus patient been?

The British man visited Singapore on business from 20 to 23 January, before staying at a chalet in the Alpine resort area of Les Contamines-Montjoie near Mont Blanc.

He flew back to the UK from Geneva on 28 January, easyJet confirmed.

Four adults and a nine-year-old child were subsequently diagnosed with the virus after coming into contact with him. They are not in a serious condition.

EasyJet said in a statement on Monday that health officials are trying to trace other passengers on flight EZS8481 to London Gatwick who might be at risk.

On his return to the UK, the Brighton man visited The Grenadier pub in Hove.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 10, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CPA Hell posted:

This is what people don’t get. They might see 10% chance of being sent to the ICU, and think “Ah ok, basically no risk”. A different way of putting it might be “for 1 in 10 people there is a 100% chance of going to the ICU” not that is a lot better. But it at least communicates how dire it can be for those that get it. People see 10% and feel like it’s something they can dodge or shrug off.

Why aren't people more afraid of this statistic that I pulled out of my rear end?

i am harry posted:

There is a super shedder in Brighton which is part of the reason for the UK making that health announcement:

The guy who was threatening to leave quarantine was the reason for the upgrade in emergency declaration, it gives them legal authority to hold unsafe jerks against their will.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 10, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Will this Breaking Bad costume work as a real bio suit??? Comes with a mask and everything.

https://www.amazon.com/Rasta-Impost...ps%2C220&sr=8-5

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

i am harry posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51447761

There's been some research into the 'super shedder' theory and people are wondering if this is a situation where someone just sheds furiously, or there's some really filthy places that you wouldn't think are filthy. Some eggheads are speculating one of the hospitals in Wuhan was contaminated in some fashion and people were getting infected through cross contamination.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The fake goatee is the actual filter.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

quote:

before staying at a chalet in the Alpine resort area of Les Contamines-Montjoie near Mont Blanc

Lol no way

e: if you ignore etymology it translates straight to "the infected"

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 10, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shaocaholica posted:

Will this Breaking Bad costume work as a real bio suit??? Comes with a mask and everything.

https://www.amazon.com/Rasta-Impost...ps%2C220&sr=8-5
Yes and I am sending them to China ASAP

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Klyith posted:

Why aren't people more afraid of this statistic that I pulled out of my rear end?

I’m not saying that’s the actually rate. Just using it as a hypothetical. And I don’t think people should be afraid, just don’t take unnecessary risk.

You can see this behavior with how people plan for the weather, their health, driving infractions, etc. anything with a percentage, lots of people seem to not be able to translate the chance of something happening vs. if it happens to you, it happens 100%.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

unpacked robinhood posted:

Lol no way

e: if you ignore etymology it translates straight to "the infected"

This and the four busses is evidence for a simulated reality wherein the simulation’s creators are just as dumb as our tech creators.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

Apparently Beijing just went into partial shutdown a few hours ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f1kh2t/breaking_beijing_closes_all_public_places/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

They announced on Friday that Monday would be business as usual, so this is a very bad omen.

So did this turn out to be real? Are people not allowed to work in Beijing or is it just like "work and then get your rear end home" or what? I don't see anything on the news about it.

edit: nm apparently it's just the stupid American media focusing on the Oscars rather than anything that's actually important. It appears to be more "work and go home" than "you can't work".

William Henry Hairytaint fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 10, 2020

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Son of Rodney posted:

I've heard rumors that Chinese people in wuhan are currently locked into a death match with roving gangs of wild pangolins, who push them to the ground with their enormous titties while coughing onto them. Millions have died so far in this struggle. They've also acquired boats and are currently looking for suitable cruise ships to board.

All of this might just be rumors but I want my fellow goons to stay up to date and safe.

:haw:
It begs to be painted

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CPA Hell posted:

I’m not saying that’s the actually rate. Just using it as a hypothetical. And I don’t think people should be afraid, just don’t take unnecessary risk.

You can see this behavior with how people plan for the weather, their health, driving infractions, etc. anything with a percentage, lots of people seem to not be able to translate the chance of something happening vs. if it happens to you, it happens 100%.

Ok.

Though I think the normalization of risk tends to happen for things that people have experienced a bunch of times with no bad effect (risky driving), or the bad effects may occur in some indefinite future (smoking). Novel risks don't have that effect as much. And the other thing that de-emphasizes risk is the perceived control over the situation -- standard example is fear of flying vs driving.

Thus people in the US panic buying face masks. This is a new and frightening thing and they have no control over it. A mask feels like it re-asserts control, even though masks are less effective than some basic hygiene practices.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
Masks and hygiene are better than hygiene alone, objectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Masks and hygiene are better than hygiene alone, objectively.

Most people buy masks because it's easy and don't actually do the hygiene part. But let's put that aside. Why weren't you wearing masks 2 months ago? It was flu season, flu can kill people. You had an infinitely higher chance of getting flu back in december than the ~0% chance of encountering coronavirus in the US right now.

Panic buying masks when you live in the US is hoarding, not a sensible precaution. Hoarding is bad.