Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dual Pentium Pro server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Everyone who attempted to use it died of heat stroke.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Cojawfee posted:

Everyone who attempted to use it died of heat stroke.

Nevermind the heat. Imagine the noise.

"Poor Flight Sim player. Thought of Delta fans and died."

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I'm the nine keyboards

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

MRC48B posted:

I'm the nine keyboards

Appropriate, since the staggered layout is obsolete.

I'll die on this hill. :colbert:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dear God, the power bill

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Killingyouguy! posted:

Dear God! The power, Bill.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Since I first saw this pic a few years ago it still unknown to me how he made this work.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Since I first saw this pic a few years ago it still unknown to me how he made this work.

MS Flight Simulator had (and still has) an incredibly active mod community, that has no problem doing things like hooking deep into the simulation engine to render a bunch of different views over the network.

Judging by the pictures that come up when you google "flight simulator multiple pcs" it's probably this software.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/Q99lQtX.mp4
audio

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There are old Boomers who doubled up on their pills and started listening to their doctors’ orders just to live long enough to see the new Flight Simulator. I’m surprised Microsoft took this long to make a new one considering how many people played it. People got pissed when Chicago closed down Meigs Field. Not because they actually liked the airport, but because that’s your starting point in MS Flight Simulator.

I never played it because my PC’s couldn’t hack the extra requirements. I did play one called ‘Jet’ and you bought add on floppies so you see pixelated Kansas versus pixelated California. And yes, the only different was one had green and blue and the other had green.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

MRC48B posted:

I'm the nine keyboards

Back then you couldn't hot plug a keyboard or you'd risk blowing up the keyboard controller, and lots of KVMs weren't that great, so just having a lot of keyboards made some sense.

Krispy Wafer posted:

There are old Boomers who doubled up on their pills and started listening to their doctors’ orders just to live long enough to see the new Flight Simulator. I’m surprised Microsoft took this long to make a new one considering how many people played it. People got pissed when Chicago closed down Meigs Field. Not because they actually liked the airport, but because that’s your starting point in MS Flight Simulator.

I never played it because my PC’s couldn’t hack the extra requirements. I did play one called ‘Jet’ and you bought add on floppies so you see pixelated Kansas versus pixelated California. And yes, the only different was one had green and blue and the other had green.

I fondly remember taking off from Meigs Field in Flight Simulator 4 and you could see Sears Tower and stuff :argh: They were just polygons but they seemed pretty cool for the time. I think earlier versions might not have supported advanced concepts like "buildings" yet though? Even then I suppose you could navigate by radio beacons to find another airport and just imagine you were flying at night when you couldn't see scenery anyway :v:

Jet was made by subLOGIC, the same company that initially developed Flight Simulator, and the scenery disks were compatible :eng101:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
"Whoa, you almost crashed into the World Trade Center!"

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

An actual turbo prop might be quieter.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Never forget

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Holy poo poo, wow.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

i hear airplane jet engines can also be loud/noisy

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

And yeah, that's the extent of a scenery disk. You have a vague outline of a coast, there are some major roadways, and only the tallest buildings. Turn around and there's probably the Empire State Building aaaaaaaand that's all of NYC.

I need to play an actual up-to-date flight simulator. I got so much drama out of playing Battle of Britain with all of my crew named after Catch-22 characters. I'd feel real grief when one pixel erased the other pixel and Yossarian finally met his fate.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I recall they removed the WTC after 9/11 which was obviously the right thing to do.

But part of me can't help but think that for marketing purposes, it would have been better to leave it in and cash in from all the outrage that would have inevitably ensued if it were still there and youtube-able.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

And yeah, that's the extent of a scenery disk. You have a vague outline of a coast, there are some major roadways, and only the tallest buildings. Turn around and there's probably the Empire State Building aaaaaaaand that's all of NYC.

I need to play an actual up-to-date flight simulator. I got so much drama out of playing Battle of Britain with all of my crew named after Catch-22 characters. I'd feel real grief when one pixel erased the other pixel and Yossarian finally met his fate.
Nah, just watch this guy's videos instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPNN8w2XlwY

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Nocheez posted:

This reminds me of the time my gf and I were curious wtf ham radio operators even talk about...so we looked up some videos and people were either taking it way to seriously or using it for a sort of open mic comedy session, but on average they just talk about what radios their using.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

This reminds me of the time my gf and I were curious wtf ham radio operators even talk about...so we looked up some videos and people were either taking it way to seriously or using it for a sort of open mic comedy session, but on average they just talk about what radios their using.

When I'm feeling really bored on tuesday or thursday nights, I tune in to our local ham meeting with my scanner. It's always ten minutes of check-ins and then a few guys talking about their radios and the weather.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nocheez posted:

good poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wa27 posted:

When I'm feeling really bored on tuesday or thursday nights, I tune in to our local ham meeting with my scanner. It's always ten minutes of check-ins and then a few guys talking about their radios and the weather.

Well sure. Until they get activated. Then it's "detonate your relatives and fly to Petrograd". And the weather.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nocheez posted:

Would not advise listening to that at work if you're not trying to draw attention to yourself. I had to turn it off when he got to the copyright issues with his background music.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Shut up Meg posted:

I recall they removed the WTC after 9/11 which was obviously the right thing to do.

But part of me can't help but think that for marketing purposes, it would have been better to leave it in and cash in from all the outrage that would have inevitably ensued if it were still there and youtube-able.

My bad. I was referencing this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLHyn6_7O74

But it was the Empire State Building.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

My bad. I was referencing this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLHyn6_7O74

But it was the Empire State Building.

My dad had their entire VHS course library for both private and commercial pilot training... these two dorks are etched in my mind.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

The last flight sim was DCS when it was called Lock On, at this point I think I'll wait for the new MS one. Looks fuckin sweet.

Shut up Meg posted:

And of course Deus Ex removed WTC before 9/11.

This was actually because they had to crop the skyline due to technical limitations, which is a great "obsolete technology" story in itself

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

The last flight sim was DCS when it was called Lock On, at this point I think I'll wait for the new MS one. Looks fuckin sweet.

And of course Deus Ex removed WTC before 9/11.

This was actually because they had to crop the skyline due to technical limitations, which is a great "obsolete technology" story in itself

Do go on. And explain why it had that terrible dithering like that. I seem to recall playing it later on a better machine and that wasn't there, or I simply got used to it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

wa27 posted:

Lol, that rules. We saw some show and this old dude's neighbors were all mad at him for putting up a huge antenna (these idiots swore it was giving people cancer). Anyway, so it triggered us to look into wtf people are on about with ham radios in 2020. Some threads online answering were like this:

Weather
Radios
Radios
Radios

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lol, that rules. We saw some show and this old dude's neighbors were all mad at him for putting up a huge antenna (these idiots swore it was giving people cancer). Anyway, so it triggered us to look into wtf people are on about with ham radios in 2020. Some threads online answering were like this:

Weather
Radios
Radios
Radios

You forgot "Ailments", particularly diabetes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

You forgot "Ailments", particularly diabetes.

oh poo poo, yeah that was in the lists too, but some people said "never heard people talking about that". I checked some other thread and it was like "I got heart surgery," "I got diabetes," "I got agent orange."

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Feb 10, 2020

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"Sexual dysfunction" and "HAM radio guy" are redundant, surely.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"Hey N0T0ES, this is call sign D1V0RC3DDAD, have you seen the new BaoFeng transmitter? Yeah, more like Obummer. Over."

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've always thought HAM radio guys were the king of the nerds in the old traditional pre-internet heirarchy, above Linux guys, model train guys, and LARPers, before Tumblr added people like Bronies to the list.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's probably some merit to that since you have to take a test to become one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nocheez posted:

Do go on. And explain why it had that terrible dithering like that. I seem to recall playing it later on a better machine and that wasn't there, or I simply got used to it.
This was just the first screenshot I grabbed off GIS so who knows why it's dithered. But back then Unreal (and many other games) could run in 16-bit color mode which was IIRC the only format some Voodoo cards supported and was faster than 32-bit on some others. So maybe that's it.

The story with the skyline is that there was a limit on how large of an image you could load into the game - either in resolution or in size (as in bytes), I'm not sure which. So the solution to still have a realistic-looking NYC skyline was to crop and then mirror the real skyline by reusing the same image. Here's another screenshot, it looks like there's a seam to the left of the statue of liberty, and then everything further left is repeated on the right side of the previous screenshot too, so WTC just got cropped somewhere. I tried to google for the original source but couldn't quickly find it. Anyway, they realized it and made up an in-game explanation that it was blown up by terrorists.

Anyway, nowadays you can load huge jpegs right into the GPU memory and it works fine.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dithering? More like Obamering. Over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
JPEGs? In my GPU? It's more common than you think.