Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

History Comes Inside! posted:

:toxx: I will eat a ban if Animal Crossing New Horizons includes mobile-style microtransactions. Because it won't.

At launch, or will it count if they're patched in later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

stev posted:

At launch, or will it count if they're patched in later?

If at any time they add the option to do dumb poo poo like buy bells or speed up time then I will happily post a banme.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question, but have we seen any footage of what a developed island might look like? Besides like 2 second glimpses I mean.

Was thinking of rewatching some trailers and all the ones I can think about are the first 5 minutes of the game type things. For a game that got a massive delay it feels like we legit know nothing about it.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I honestly don't think a $60 Switch game will be Pocket Camp but I am still so mad about Pocket Camp.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

None of that sped up any of the gameplay or skipped any time gated stuff and were all entirely optional "here's a neat thing you can have if you get this accessory but it's not going to make the 'game' any better or worse so who gives a poo poo" purchases.
You may as well be losing your mind that having amiibos means people could get a few extra random fish and arrows (and some exclusive armour items!) in BOTW every 24 hours. I don't remember anyone giving a single solitary poo poo about that, and this feels exactly the same. You can also have a couple of extra racing suits in Mario Kart, holy poo poo Nintendo you loving monsters!!!

It's like you're basically all more interested in being able to go I FUCKIN TOLD YOU SO LOOK AT THOSE NICKEL AND DIMING PRICKS on the incredibly minor chance Nintendo decide that this is the perfect time to burn all of their earned goodwill and at the same time take a popular franchise out back to put a bullet in its head than thinking about this rationally.

What qualifies as "who gives a poo poo" tier optional purchases is totally arbitrary. We've already, in just discussing hypothetical vague systems, people who wouldn't blink at some kind of resource-purchasing because (at least right now before we experience anything) Animal Crossing isn't a game in which they feel pressured to save time. Whether anyone was upset at BotWs amiibo bonuses, the fact remains that you could spend money outside the game to get a bonus. I was going to toxx myself that if there's never anything you can purchase beyond or outside the initial game...but evidently Amiibos have already been confirmed. We don't know what they do, but supposedly they will be useable.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wondering what they'll include in this version of the game as outside purchases, they always have before. It might well just be the old Amiibo support. Knowing that, I think I would probably be happy if it just gave me bonus resources like BotW. Subnautica is the only game I've ever played with a crafting system where there wasn't a point where I was like "Alright, getting kind of bored of pick-up-sticks now." I really don't think that'd burn all the good will, and there's countless ways they could go about having bonus purchases without offending a ton of people. Then again, you get 50 internet posters in a room and you'll probably get 40 different thresholds for what is or isn't acceptable. Not to mention, just because you find something unacceptable doesn't actually mean you won't accept it. I have witnessed this body make foolish microtransactions even while I scream at myself not to.

Nintendo wants us hyped and talking about the game, but they've also kept a lot of info close to the vest since they know they've already sold the game to us based on it being Animal Crossing anyway. Gotta bunch of folks in a frenzy, and all sides are having to argue with a lot of faith or conjecture because we can't play, and they aren't saying any more than they know they need to.

I don't think they'll go Pocket Camp on us, but the crafting system existing itself does have some implications for the game experience even in the total absence of mtx. A lot of those systems seem to mesh well with AC naturally, and given that each day is a real day, you hopefully won't have any efficiency pressure like you do in many farming/crafting/sim type games.

It's also possible Nintendo themselves haven't really sorted out what approach to take yet, and it's probably just a Very Bad idea to bring it up pre-release. It's a lot easier to not start a drug, than it is to start a drug than it is to do it and then later quit or stay level once they announce a more concentrated version.

P.S. - Is the the stalk market confirmed back in the game yet? There always comes a time when my villager stops shaking trees and starts shaking down capital.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 9, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll wait for the direct before I start speculating things. People are starting to worry a bit too much.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You know what, I'm much happier worrying about Animal Crossing maybe tricking me into shelling out more than 60 greenbacks for the pleasure than I am worrying about any of the real things worth worrying about in life right now.

Even "Animal Crossing: Worrying" is an escapist delight.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Khanstant posted:

What qualifies as "who gives a poo poo" tier optional purchases is totally arbitrary. We've already, in just discussing hypothetical vague systems, people who wouldn't blink at some kind of resource-purchasing because (at least right now before we experience anything) Animal Crossing isn't a game in which they feel pressured to save time. Whether anyone was upset at BotWs amiibo bonuses, the fact remains that you could spend money outside the game to get a bonus. I was going to toxx myself that if there's never anything you can purchase beyond or outside the initial game...but evidently Amiibos have already been confirmed. We don't know what they do, but supposedly they will be useable.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wondering what they'll include in this version of the game as outside purchases, they always have before. It might well just be the old Amiibo support. Knowing that, I think I would probably be happy if it just gave me bonus resources like BotW. Subnautica is the only game I've ever played with a crafting system where there wasn't a point where I was like "Alright, getting kind of bored of pick-up-sticks now." I really don't think that'd burn all the good will, and there's countless ways they could go about having bonus purchases without offending a ton of people. Then again, you get 50 internet posters in a room and you'll probably get 40 different thresholds for what is or isn't acceptable. Not to mention, just because you find something unacceptable doesn't actually mean you won't accept it. I have witnessed this body make foolish microtransactions even while I scream at myself not to.

Nintendo wants us hyped and talking about the game, but they've also kept a lot of info close to the vest since they know they've already sold the game to us based on it being Animal Crossing anyway. Gotta bunch of folks in a frenzy, and all sides are having to argue with a lot of faith or conjecture because we can't play, and they aren't saying any more than they know they need to.

I don't think they'll go Pocket Camp on us, but the crafting system existing itself does have some implications for the game experience even in the total absence of mtx. A lot of those systems seem to mesh well with AC naturally, and given that each day is a real day, you hopefully won't have any efficiency pressure like you do in many farming/crafting/sim type games.

It's also possible Nintendo themselves haven't really sorted out what approach to take yet, and it's probably just a Very Bad idea to bring it up pre-release. It's a lot easier to not start a drug, than it is to start a drug than it is to do it and then later quit or stay level once they announce a more concentrated version.

P.S. - Is the the stalk market confirmed back in the game yet? There always comes a time when my villager stops shaking trees and starts shaking down capital.

That's a lot of words about Animal Crossing DLC. I am just looking forward to collecting stuff and being able to trade fruits and visit my wife's island.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If there's MTX (I don't think there will be) Nintendo would never announce them in a Direct.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hekk posted:

That's a lot of words about Animal Crossing DLC. I am just looking forward to collecting stuff and being able to trade fruits and visit my wife's island.

Yeah man, me too! What's her friend code ;-)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

For a game about chilling this thread is being anti-chill. The unchillest one could say

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The possibility of AC getting microtransactions is enough to make me not pre-order the game and wait for reviews. Which sucks because I have been waiting for a new AC for years. :negative:

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
I read an interesting opinion.

To play online you need a subscription, which could be the "in game purchases" referenced in the ESRB rating.

I wonder if there's a Nintendo game without in game purchases WITH online access requirements that has the same rating.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I hope it just begins and ends with “you can link to the mobile game to get stuff in the switch one!”, but I’d be down for proper expansion dlcs.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They've already said there won't be any direct connectivity between the mobile game and this.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

They've already said there won't be any direct connectivity between the mobile game and this.
This is the only reason people should need to not be worried about lovely microtransactions in AC and yet

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hmm it looks like they removed the "in game purchases" tag from the ESRB rating on the site:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

vanisher posted:

Hmm it looks like they removed the "in game purchases" tag from the ESRB rating on the site:

now this is win

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

we did it guys

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

:toxx: I will eat a ban if Animal Crossing New Horizons includes mobile-style microtransactions. Because it won't.

We don't do toxx clause in this thread, friend, this is a Animal Crossing thread

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

vanisher posted:

I'm still seeing it on the Nintendo.com page

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/animal-crossing-new-horizons-switch/

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I am super excited to play this game and I don't know why. The only AC I've ever played was New Leaf and I only played it for about a month.

I don't even really care about decorating. Mostly I'm just excited by the idea of having my wife join my village and creating a Cool Kids Club that decides which animals are too lame to stay. :v:

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

:ohdear:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Like others said, I don't think they're going to put poo poo like loot boxes and micro transactions in a console game.

Can we all please take a chill pill?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My uncle works at Animal Crossings and he said they won't have any kind of mtx bullshit. You just use the app to dial the hotline for a reasonable per-minute fee and A Nintendo Operator will authorize you to play while they are on the line with you. The operator will also help you compose letters to villagers, and read aloud all the text for you.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Gripweed posted:

Somebody at Nintendo has read Use Of Weapons

Welcome to Zakalwe Island!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I am super excited to play this game and I don't know why. The only AC I've ever played was New Leaf and I only played it for about a month.

Playing a game for a whole month sounds like a win to me.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Stux posted:

now this is win

That just means they'll be in the eShop and not accessable in game. :tinfoil:

Have they said what amiibo will do? The kk slider one is calling to me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mentioned it before but man, looking back at the gamecube version and the villagers were just outright jackasses :v:

I wonder how people would react to stuff like this if New Horizons went back to it

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I honestly miss how mean they used to be. Rumour has it they toned all that down because Resetti made a child cry. I don't know how true that is, but I choose to believe the legend.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I was that child.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Resetti should make children cry

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Gripweed posted:

Resetti should make children cry

'You can have either the save data and the hammer or you can walk out of here. You can't have both. What do you want?'

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A difficulty selection except it only affects how mean the villagers are to you.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The personality test at the beginning is used to determine how mean you deserve the villagers being to you

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The DLC for this game is the option for your villagers to harass you.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The Gamecube version is still my favourite. Paid off THREE houses, filled out the museum, got every kind of fruit, got every NES game, every KK Slider song, every gyroid. I've never felt so accomplished in a game since. Sorry I haven't visited in like... 15 years, Mooville.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The Gamecube version is still my favourite. Paid off THREE houses, filled out the museum, got every kind of fruit, got every NES game, every KK Slider song, every gyroid. I've never felt so accomplished in a game since. Sorry I haven't visited in like... 15 years, Mooville.

They’re all dead now, OP. You killed them with neglect

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

They’re all dead now, OP. You killed them with neglect

nooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey have you ever wanted to play Animal Crossing but on PC? Well uhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS8OlpSNM1k

I guess it's a thing now? This is pretty shameless (but not gonna lie some of these features look neat).