Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

code:
398935 SirSamVimes the Fencer (level 24, -13/189 HPs)
             Began as an Abomination Archaeologist on Feb 9, 2020.
             Was an Initiate of Gozag.
             Killed from afar by Jory (81 damage)
             ... with a crystal spear
             ... on level 4 of the Vaults on Feb 10, 2020.
             The game lasted 02:14:16 (45552 turns).

SirSamVimes the Fencer (Abomination Archaeologist) Turns: 45552, Time: 02:14:17

Health: -13/189    AC: 44    Str: 27    XL:     24   Next: 37%
Magic:  31/31      EV: 16    Int: 15    God:    Gozag
Gold:   4181       SH: 20    Dex: 20    Spells: 13/23 levels left
don't underestimate jory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

icantfindaname posted:

Does wearing jewellery increase your hunger rate?
Only regen+, unless something extremely major has changed since I last checked.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

so I have a gooncrawl save file on CKO where trying to enter Crypt makes my game crash, that's fun :smith:

i think this is the crash file if it's any help

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

PMush Perfect posted:

Only regen+, unless something extremely major has changed since I last checked.
Yeah, as far as I'm aware, that's basically it. There also used to be things like cursed Rings of Sustenance, but those have been gone for years and years.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

someone awful. posted:

so I have a gooncrawl save file on CKO where trying to enter Crypt makes my game crash, that's fun :smith:

i think this is the crash file if it's any help

Can you also post the morgue for that game as well?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

Can you also post the morgue for that game as well?

do I need to be dead or will this one work?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, as far as I'm aware, that's basically it. There also used to be things like cursed Rings of Sustenance, but those have been gone for years and years.

Rings of hunger if we're being pedantic but that's inverse sustenance so you're not off the mark there. That was gone when they removed immediately negative base types for rings and amulets and keeping those that are situational.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I believe that once, in the Long Ago when scummies roamed the land and Hive was a Whole drat Thing, each piece of jewelry did add one to your hunger depletion counter when it ticked down, and rings of hunger added some multiple of that. This was mostly ignorable except for some spellcasters (and anything reliant on permafood for much, such as Spriggans or Fedhas worshippers), but it did also mean that technically-optimal play meant never walking around with more jewelry on than you absolutely needed to survive the first turn of an encounter.

The food clock is usually just a soft reminder to keep moving forward, these days, but once upon a time it was much more lethal. Keep in mind, this was also an era where different kinds of food took up different slots in inventory, doors could be huge mimics waiting to chow down on you, and the OOD monster generation algorithm was reliant on exploding dice, so D:1 dragon deaths were not unheard of.

E: Man, as much as we mock things that get removed in DCSS, I have to admit there is so much that I don't miss from some of the ancient versions. Spending a dozen turns chowing down on some kind of grape or something, filling your message space with 'was delicious, but also very small'. Running from a dangerous encounter to a scroll that could save you only to find out that it was a mimic. The perennial D:1 jelly that ate everything and then killed you. Managing your book stash, since every one of them took up an inventory slot.

Things I really shouldn't miss, but kinda do every once in a while: Turning DCSS into a completely different game by Nem-scumming to ultimate power and a million dungeon features. Hive. Mimics, whom I also hate.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 10, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I believe that once, in the Long Ago when scummies roamed the land and Hive was a Whole drat Thing, each piece of jewelry did add one to your hunger depletion counter when it ticked down, and rings of hunger added some multiple of that. This was mostly ignorable except for some spellcasters (and anything reliant on permafood for much, such as Spriggans or Fedhas worshippers), but it did also mean that technically-optimal play meant never walking around with more jewelry on than you absolutely needed to survive the first turn of an encounter.

The food clock is usually just a soft reminder to keep moving forward, these days, but once upon a time it was much more lethal. Keep in mind, this was also an era where different kinds of food took up different slots in inventory, doors could be huge mimics waiting to chow down on you, and the OOD monster generation algorithm was reliant on exploding dice, so D:1 dragon deaths were not unheard of.

E: Man, as much as we mock things that get removed in DCSS, I have to admit there is so much that I don't miss from some of the ancient versions. Spending a dozen turns chowing down on some kind of grape or something, filling your message space with 'was delicious, but also very small'. Running from a dangerous encounter to a scroll that could save you only to find out that it was a mimic. The perennial D:1 jelly that ate everything and then killed you. Managing your book stash, since every one of them took up an inventory slot.

Things I really shouldn't miss, but kinda do every once in a while: Turning DCSS into a completely different game by Nem-scumming to ultimate power and a million dungeon features. Hive. Mimics, whom I also hate.

The QoL changes have been, by-and-large, tremendous. Just a shame that 90% of the changes that are really good are often vastly overshadowed by the 10% that are pure "what were they thinking???".

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

The QoL changes have been, by-and-large, tremendous. Just a shame that 90% of the changes that are really good are often vastly overshadowed by the 10% that are pure "what were they thinking???".

I generally agree, even if I am still a little sour over Fulsome Distillation and the mutation changes in general, and am very thankful for Gooncrawl so Trunk can just go do its own thing without me worrying so much about chain-shaft-trap nonsense.

My favorite of the weird 'this system doesn't quite work' artifacts were the stat mutations, which I assume were removed when the potions of gain foo were removed. You could raise stats semi-permanently, but because these were mutations, the gains could be removed by standard mutation rolls, there was a hardcap of 14, and you could chug one of these incredibly rare and incredibly valuable potions only for it to be blocked by any innate mutation resist you had (but amulets of resist mutation didn't care about them). Also, Zin was fine with you hulking out responsibly, with magical steroids, so long as 'so help me there better not be any tentacles in there mister'.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
On the one hand, I can absolutely understand why people just wanted to finally be rid of negative potions that usually did nothing but to be an obnoxious trap that had far too much of a chance of getting you with every quaff-ID.

On the other hand, Fulsome Distillation and its synergy with Evaporate was hands-down one of the most unique gameplay elements in the entire game (and really one of the neatest things I've ever seen in a roguelike) and Crawl is poorer for its removal. And, hell, it wasn't often useful that you could potions of Blindness at monsters and have it affect them, but when it was, it really was.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

I generally agree, even if I am still a little sour over Fulsome Distillation and the mutation changes in general, and am very thankful for Gooncrawl so Trunk can just go do its own thing without me worrying so much about chain-shaft-trap nonsense.

My favorite of the weird 'this system doesn't quite work' artifacts were the stat mutations, which I assume were removed when the potions of gain foo were removed. You could raise stats semi-permanently, but because these were mutations, the gains could be removed by standard mutation rolls, there was a hardcap of 14, and you could chug one of these incredibly rare and incredibly valuable potions only for it to be blocked by any innate mutation resist you had (but amulets of resist mutation didn't care about them). Also, Zin was fine with you hulking out responsibly, with magical steroids, so long as 'so help me there better not be any tentacles in there mister'.

Oh man, I forgot all about the "gain X" potions that were considered mutations. Nothing quite like holding onto those (in your stash on Lair 1 to avoid Jelly generation) and waiting until you felt stable enough to chug chug chug and hoped that you could actually benefit from them.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I still store various odds and ends I don't want to carry, like wands I've outgrown and "that +1 ring mail of fire resistance I found on D4, maybe I'll need an extra pip at the expense of all my armor" and other sundry goods, on Lair 1. :kiddo:

Old habits die incredibly hard.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

some of what was removed was dumb poo poo that was bad, yes. I don't miss getting hit by a white imp and having all my potions explode.

you know what I loving miss though: racial equipment. that was cool. nobody else ever brings that up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I still store various odds and ends I don't want to carry, like wands I've outgrown and "that +1 ring mail of fire resistance I found on D4, maybe I'll need an extra pip at the expense of all my armor" and other sundry goods, on Lair 1. :kiddo:

I totally still do that as well and I will never stop. It's not a proper roguelike if you aren't pack-ratting like mad.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I'm torn on bringing back the various levels of mimics. On the one hand I hated it when it happened to me, on the other it was absolutely hilarious when it happened to someone else.

Stat mutations are still alive and well in Gooncrawl, they are the only thing keeping my Jiyva test mino (base 4 STR) from being threatened by stat drain.

Fulsome Distillation was cool but like the jewelry hunger thing it was pretty tedious to manage and work with. I could see a miasma cloud being part of a poison school buff.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

someone awful. posted:

do I need to be dead or will this one work?

How in the hell is it crashing on a check for a Hep ancestor :cripes:

Edit: How in the hell is it crashing on a check to UPGRADE YOUR ANCESTOR'S WEAPON WHEN ENTERING CRYPT AS A CHEI WORSHIPPER? :suicide:

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 10, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Araganzar posted:

I'm torn on bringing back the various levels of mimics. On the one hand I hated it when it happened to me, on the other it was absolutely hilarious when it happened to someone else.

I'd be okay with a specially-classed vault that mimics (heh) some of the old mechanics. Door mimic into food mimic into stairs mimic and finally artifact mimic that doesn't even fight you, just laughs and disappears.

EDIT: ^ Please do tell us what eventually was the root cause of that bug because that code sounds special already. :allears:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Fulsome Distillation was cool but like the jewelry hunger thing it was pretty tedious to manage and work with.
On the other hand, it was also something that you didn't ever have to engage with unless you wanted to, unlike jewelry hunger, so there's that at least.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Look at all these L:1 nerds who have never had the experience of a simulated-stair-hopping-monster spawning from the floor above. You haven't known Problems Time until a jelly eats your entire L:1 stash including most of your food, or an Orc Warlord eligible to spawn because there's a Mines entrance on the same floor as Lair shows up and turns all your not-quite-good-enough-to-use gear against you and drinks every excess potion you stashed away.

Real champions know to make their weird hoarder nest on L:2.

E: ...just to clarify for anyone who might not have been playing this game for a decade, those are things that used to happen, and generally don't anymore, don't worry.

E2: And I only say generally because while I would say 'never ever', someone is apparently dealing with Hepliaklqana having a nervous breakdown over whether or not it's proper to buy a new sword for this nerd's ancestor who is dead and who also doesn't worship them and so functionally doesn't exist, so I'm hesitant to commit to hard and fast declarations of what is or is not possible in Crawl code.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 10, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Look at all these L:1 nerds who have never had the experience of a simulated-stair-hopping-monster spawning from the floor above. You haven't known Problems Time until a jelly eats your entire L:1 stash including most of your food, or an Orc Warlord eligible to spawn because there's a Mines entrance on the same floor as Lair shows up and turns all your not-quite-good-enough-to-use gear against you and drinks every excess potion you stashed away.

E: ...just to clarify for anyone who might not have been playing this game for a decade, those are things that used to happen, and generally don't anymore, don't worry.

I have forgotten the face of my father...

Item destruction is truly one of the biggest and best changes to ever get yanked. The super stupid game of rapidly dumping scrolls and potions when something with combustion or ice in its eyes showed up was... unpleasant.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Something that I think can still happen to your stash is the Nemelex card The Shaft. I don't think it's likely to happen because there's no deck of Wonders anymore but I was trying cards trying to get experience or shuffle my stats or something and I created a shaft under my L1 stash.

When this happens, half your gear is spread randomly all over the next 3 levels below you, and the other half (or some significant portion, I didn't count) vanishes forever. Cue me resetting the map on all three levels and sprinting through them screaming NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

This was back when both item weight and destruction were things that were, so all my extra potions and scrolls were in there. Also as noted any wandering monsters used to just love to grab all that up, use it against you, zap your wands, and drink all your stashed potions.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Lair 1 is a fool's place to put a stash, an ooze can wander down from Dungeon and eat it!

You put it on Lair TWO, next to an UPSTAIRS.

e:f,b

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Put on -TELE or Teleport Control and put it all inside a permanent teleport trap. It's the only way to be sure.

Monsters picking up gear wasn't all bad. Remember dropping a -3 falchion on the ground so Erica would pick it up and use it instead of her +x scimitar of flaming?

Also any objections to my bringing back boots of jumping?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

E2: And I only say generally because while I would say 'never ever', someone is apparently dealing with Hepliaklqana having a nervous breakdown over whether or not it's proper to buy a new sword for this nerd's ancestor who is dead and who also doesn't worship them and so functionally doesn't exist, so I'm hesitant to commit to hard and fast declarations of what is or is not possible in Crawl code.

Arivia posted:

Lair 1 is a fool's place to put a stash, an ooze can wander down from Dungeon and eat it!

You put it on Lair TWO, next to an UPSTAIRS.

e:f,b

There's a reason why, despite playing this game on and off for a decade, I only have about four wins! :negative:

I vaguely remembered stashing stuff on L:2 as I wrote that post, but couldn't remember why, so I figured I was misremembering. A shameful veteran.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I still store my stuff on L:2 just because I like lining it up and then it's all neatly there and organized.

But then your food clock and time clock get lovely running back and forth up the dungeon to get to it, even with Shift-G.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

I'd be okay with a specially-classed vault that mimics (heh) some of the old mechanics. Door mimic into food mimic into stairs mimic and finally artifact mimic that doesn't even fight you, just laughs and disappears.

EDIT: ^ Please do tell us what eventually was the root cause of that bug because that code sounds special already. :allears:

It looks like it was considering Margery an ancestor??? Still looking.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I remember all this poo poo back when I used to play. I just hopped on the other night for the first time in yearrrrrs, and apparently the game is trying to make sure I stick around because I am being just showered with amazing loot this time around.

At work so I don't have a screenshot but I picked up some +12 or +14 crystal plate armor, some +5 slaying gloves, some... fancy boots that I don't remember, and got a +horns mutation on a minotaur fighter. Everything's coming up milhouse.

I've never gotten a win, but i'm at 3 runes and standing outside the realm of zot right now so maybe tonight's the night.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I like to stash my armour and weapons on the floor in separate piles that make a paper-doll version of a character. And if I play a gozag character I almost always return to the one floor where I spam all my shops.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

It looks like it was considering Margery an ancestor??? Still looking.

Fixed it.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

FK is kind enough not to throw me under the bus here but this was because I added the possibility of Maggie or Margery spawning with Wyrmbane. I had to take Maggie back out since she has an minor problem of not actually existing in Gooncrawl. I got overzealous with that apparently and as a result after we checked Margery for Wyrmbane we went ahead and tried to upgrade her hep ancestor weapon, too.

Unfortunately this crashed the game instead of changing your hep pet to Margery.

I guess when I tested Margery did not generate or I didn't get to her, and in the advanced game I have to test if I messed up existing saves I'd already spawned her.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

thank you!

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Kaedric posted:

I've never gotten a win, but i'm at 3 runes and standing outside the realm of zot right now so maybe tonight's the night.

You probably already know these, but my two cents for a first win-Zot:

- Be sure to have ways of dealing with ancient liches (silence, dispel undead) and orbs of fire (rmut of some kind? Spam phantom mirrors? Luck? These are a pain in any case). If in doubt, consider grinding in abyss 1 and clearing the vestibule of hell for some extra exp and gear (unless you already have).

- Watch out for stormcaller / corrosive draconians

- Most importantly, take things as slow as possible. Pull things one by one, dig killholes into walls, wait for mobs to wander into view when in doubt, use scrolls of mapping in advance etc - you're never going to run out of food so take your time

I've tried getting more into the endgame stuff after my first 3-rune, but always derped to something stupid (or something bullshit, cough suicidal mummy killing itself & triggering a petrification death curse at the worst possible time). Pandemonium is a lot of fun!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also, if you rely on buffs and transformations, watch out for purple draconians, they've got a dispelling breath.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Also pay attention to curse toes and moths of wrath. Most of my zot deaths involve one of those two, they don't get a lot of kills but they sure get a lot of assists. It's best to have a way to deal with both (javs of pen, portal projectile, firestorm all work pretty well). The advice about taking it slowly is probably the most crucial.

If anyone is playing Crab language let me know if you see anything that does not belong under the sea. I think I need to do spell names still.

Here are some of the new ones I've added so far: Thinks He Chaos Crab, hairy crab, very scary hairy crab, crabobleepus, Shellforged Crabcaster, coralbrand calluacrab, coralheart life preserver, Freddycrab Demonmans, ghost dad, and Crabtha Doomsnake.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Dropbear posted:

You probably already know these, but my two cents for a first win-Zot:

- Be sure to have ways of dealing with ancient liches (silence, dispel undead) and orbs of fire (rmut of some kind? Spam phantom mirrors? Luck? These are a pain in any case). If in doubt, consider grinding in abyss 1 and clearing the vestibule of hell for some extra exp and gear (unless you already have).

- Watch out for stormcaller / corrosive draconians

- Most importantly, take things as slow as possible. Pull things one by one, dig killholes into walls, wait for mobs to wander into view when in doubt, use scrolls of mapping in advance etc - you're never going to run out of food so take your time

I've tried getting more into the endgame stuff after my first 3-rune, but always derped to something stupid (or something bullshit, cough suicidal mummy killing itself & triggering a petrification death curse at the worst possible time). Pandemonium is a lot of fun!

I am not at all prepared for that. Time to gently caress it upppppppp

https://imgur.com/a/GpVGPKn

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Kaedric posted:

I am not at all prepared for that. Time to gently caress it upppppppp

https://imgur.com/a/GpVGPKn

What sorcery is this, it's a trick, get an axe!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That rC- is going to be dangerous.

edit: You're a Chei worshipper so remember: Step From Time is one of the best emergency buttons in the game. You have blurry vision so if you try to use a blinking scroll everything will get a free swing on you, and that goes double for teleportation scrolls. Don't forget you have Step From Time.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 11, 2020

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Araganzar posted:

What sorcery is this, it's a trick, get an axe!

looks like PleasingFungus just changed shields to being "kite shields" and large shields to being "pavises"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

SirSamVimes posted:

That rC- is going to be dangerous.

edit: You're a Chei worshipper so remember: Step From Time is one of the best emergency buttons in the game. You have blurry vision so if you try to use a blinking scroll everything will get a free swing on you, and that goes double for teleportation scrolls. Don't forget you have Step From Time.

Yeah I need to remember I worship a god. That's why I always pick my buddy chei, hooray for passives.