Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Now do IP6.

I remember nothing on IPv6 except FE80::/10 and relearn what I need to do whenever I interact with it, which is rare since I don't have to interact with it often.

Even though it works and is actually easier than IPv4 once you get the hang of it, I refuse to bring it into the internal networks basically anywhere because change is bad and scary for most people who do not want to learn anything new ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I remember nothing on IPv6 except FE80::/10 and relearn what I need to do whenever I interact with it, which is rare since I don't have to interact with it often.

Even though it works and is actually easier than IPv4 once you get the hang of it, I refuse to bring it into the internal networks basically anywhere because change is bad and scary for most people who do not want to learn anything new ever.

or you have some devices/software that just throws a fit when it sniffs IPv6

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just slap an RA on your gateway and see where the day takes you.

I did this once. Thankfully my old employer wisely stopped letting me login to the routers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The moment that ipv6 becomes mandatory is the moment I leave my tech career to live off the grid in a cabin with bears.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
At this point I don't think I am ever going to use IPv6 in a business setting before I retire.

At least in my industry I've seen absolutely no movement towards supporting it or even discussion of it. At least for internal use.

Out of the 9 ISPs we have, Comcast is the only one that officially supports it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Just slap an RA on your gateway and see where the day takes you.

I did this once. Thankfully my old employer wisely stopped letting me login to the routers.

lol like at random just turned it on or was this a thing that was supposed to be turned on

the only place i ever worked with it was with a thing in india

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 10, 2020

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've probably got another 25 years of work ahead of me. Hopefully I can keep dodging IPv6 until I retire. God willing I'll get there.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

lol like at random just turned it on or was this a thing that was supposed to be turned on

the only place i ever worked with it was with a thing in india

Pretend I thought I was putting it on a specific vlan but had no idea what I was doing, plus it was Cisco IOS over 10 years ago which was pretty hilarious when it comes to things like that.

Thousands of servers suddenly had ip6. It was amazing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I got presented a "secure" azure environment where i saw some Any/any - azure regional storage service on a security group. Turns out that despite all other protections, allowing a regional storage service also allowed you to access public storage accounts located in that region.

This tenant handled PHI.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

The moment that ipv6 becomes mandatory is the moment I leave my tech career to live off the grid in a cabin with bears.

I'm friends with the president of the local FAB chapter, I'm sure I could get you in touch if you're looking for some bears to hang out with in your cabin.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've probably got another 25 years of work ahead of me. Hopefully I can keep dodging IPv6 until I retire. God willing I'll get there.

Pretty sure 'we've run out of IP4 addresses and facing global internet meltdown' at least 4 times so far.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
32 bits ought to be enough for everybody

*allocates 224.0.0.0/4 to multicast*

*allocates 240.0.0.0/4 to future use but can never be used*

Methanar fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 10, 2020

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How does ip6 addressing work out from a network engineering perspective? Do all devices virtual and otherwise just generate an IP from thin air? Do you just assign them an ip like we'd assign ip4 address except its in hex? How do you classify the difference between say, My home network(x.x.x.x/z) and my office network(y.y.y.y/z)?

I guess what I'm actually asking, is there a dummies guide to the care and feeding of an IP6 network?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'm a little distanced from my networking days, but in general IPv6 is structured so that all LANs have 64 bits of network prefix. I think ISPs that support v6 hand out /48s? This would give you 65536 LANs available. As for individual devices, DHCPv6 is a thing. Obviously this works like you would expect in concept. Not using DHCP, devices will tend to automatically generate an IP address using SLAAC (stateless address autoconfig). This is basically the self-generated IPv6 address you see on every interface that has IPv6 enabled (these are the fe80::/64 addresses you can see in Windows). The short of this is the devices generate an IP "from thin air", like you said, and then conflict resolution happens by the router once plugged into a network.

There is a strong chance some of this is wrong, please correct me if so. I think covers what you asked though.

Oh resources. I used to have a book for this, I'll see if I can hunt down the site or name for you.

e: Clarification. Devices will always generate a SLAAC address, the question is whether they will use it or not (ie: are you running DHCP)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The two magic words are Neighbour Discovery Protocol (NDP) (for addresses) and DHCPv6 (for other information).

Router Advertisements (part of NDP) are basically announcements "here be router, here be subnet, pick an address, any address, and send your traffic here" whereas DHCPv6 is fairly close to its v4 version.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The part about the ip6 stick dragging that cracks me up is configuration is so much easier if you have any amount of dns self registration and service discovery. And like, all of our mobile phones in the USA, plus Set Top Boxes for cable TV haven't been using it for awhile now. Even if your retail internet doesn't come with IP6 support, it's being routed on your network if you have a connected STB.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

H110Hawk posted:

The part about the ip6 stick dragging that cracks me up is configuration is so much easier if you have any amount of dns self registration and service discovery. And like, all of our mobile phones in the USA, plus Set Top Boxes for cable TV haven't been using it for awhile now. Even if your retail internet doesn't come with IP6 support, it's being routed on your network if you have a connected STB.

Also that if it were implemented in corporate networks you would no longer need NAT and have to deal with thinking about NAT, and just use straight routing. (Well, y'know, with firewalls inspecting traffic, but yeah).

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Also that if it were implemented in corporate networks you would no longer need NAT and have to deal with thinking about NAT, and just use straight routing. (Well, y'know, with firewalls inspecting traffic, but yeah).

This is the part that I really want to see. No more NAT! As a side benefit IPv6 would really force the "have a non-poo poo DNS service" that most companies can't seem to manage.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Were interviewing for a mid-level desktop support position and I get to be part of it since they will hopefully take over day to day firewall rules and support our very basic on-prem networks. Its painful how bad people whiff on softball questions. Havent even had the chance to ask a hard question. Asking what is the minimum amount of info a DHCP server needs to provide a client in order to browse the web draws a blank.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd have a hard time answering that. Haven't had to think about it in 15 years. Uhh DHCP gives IP and the web worky worky.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I asked a range of questions that I thought were easy. I asked...

How to lookup the routing table on a mac

They all have python experience so I asked what imports you declare to print system time

Differences between 2.4 and 5ghz wireless (any difference)

Difference between trunk and access port

Configuring a cronjob to run every 3 minutes

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I hosed that one up back in 2016. IP, subnet mask, gateway, I think there's one more thing but gently caress it, it's my Saturday.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hosed that one up back in 2016. IP, subnet mask, gateway, I think there's one more thing but gently caress it, it's my Saturday.

DNS

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Huh, what do you know, it really is always DNS.

When I flubbed it last time I forgot gateway.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Sepist posted:

I'd flub these two. The first is because I'm lazy and would use the GUI, the second is because CloudWatch events are the only thing I've been using for a few years now and their syntax is a little off.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Sepist posted:

Route

They all have python experience so I asked what imports you declare to print system time

Import os
Os.system(‘date’);

Bandwidth and range?

Pass

Run Jenkins

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sepist posted:

I'd flub this.

I've configured cronjobs, but I've always used an online calculator because I don't do it often.
2.4 and 5 I'd probably stumble about how the difference in wavelength allows for one of them to travel longer distances or something.
The other three I'd basically say "No clue off hand, I'd probably just google that"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I couldn't answer the cronjob one, otherwise all the questions seem fine and appropriate for a mid-level generalist.

e:

Defenestrategy posted:

2.4 and 5 I'd probably stumble about how the difference in wavelength allows for one of them to travel longer distances or something.

the super basic answer is that 5 ghz is a shorter wavelength, and as a result allows for higher bandwidth at the cost of shorter range and bigger issues with interference.
2.4ghz has a longer wavelength, for lower bandwidth and longer range.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 10, 2020

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I wasnt expecting them to know them all, just trying to figure out a range. But if your range is 0..

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sepist posted:

Did all of these get a miss? From the same person or in multiple instances? I'd think you could expect at least 3/5.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

IPv6 is good and it's the future but there still doesn't seem to be an agreed-upon way to implement the really basic 'fail between WAN1 and WAN2' that is second nature when NAT is being used with IPv4. I think there were some moves to just advertise multiple prefixes and gateways into a VLAN and tell the client what one was the priority but not everything supports that.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Did all of these get a miss? From the same person or in multiple instances? I'd think you could expect at least 3/5.

Multiple instances all missed

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sepist posted:

Multiple instances all missed

When would you have to find the routing table on a mac? unless this is one of those " Didn't you know mac and linux have the same terminal commands?" kinda things.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

IPv6 is good and it's the future but there still doesn't seem to be an agreed-upon way to implement the really basic 'fail between WAN1 and WAN2' that is second nature when NAT is being used with IPv4. I think there were some moves to just advertise multiple prefixes and gateways into a VLAN and tell the client what one was the priority but not everything supports that.

If you have your own portable space this is a non-issue. I think you're inferring "without resetting everyone's connections" though. If you're OK with reconnecting everyone the rare times your internet goes out then it's also a non-issue.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Are my standards just ridiculously low here? I am not surprised that people interviewing for a desktop support position are missing all of those questions.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Defenestrategy posted:

When would you have to find the routing table on a mac? unless this is one of those " Didn't you know mac and linux have the same terminal commands?" kinda things.

Validating a split tunnel or full tunnel vpn is sending your routes to the tunnel interface

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The cron one is */3 * * * *

But use Jenkins

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

H110Hawk posted:

If you have your own portable space this is a non-issue. I think you're inferring "without resetting everyone's connections" though. If you're OK with reconnecting everyone the rare times your internet goes out then it's also a non-issue.

I'm talking about the lower end of things where people chuck a fibre provider and then a connection from their local broadband company/LTE modem into a box, PI space and eBGP isn't really an option there. I think this is why a lot of SD-WAN providers just pretend IPv6 doesn't exist either.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

jaegerx posted:

The cron one is */3 * * * *

But use Jenkins

I'm a vim guy, Jenkins is too fancy for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh one guy had windows 95 on his resume so asked him which edition of windows 95 had USB support