Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Oasx posted:

I come from a small country where everything that isn't a documentary or made for children is subtitled, so I am biased, but it isn't some major skill that people need to learn. You look at the screen as normal, and at the bottom are subtitles that you read at the same time, the experience is in no way lesser because you read at the same time.

Some people have things like dyslexia or ADHD that make it hard to read subtitles and pay attention to visuals while also following the text. Other people are fully capable of it but still personally find it distracting. And then there are people for whom it would simply be more enjoyable and convenient to be able to consume a film or show without having to actively read every piece of dialogue.

Regardless, a dub is purely additive; worst case scenario it does absolutely nothing to diminish the quality or enjoyment of the original film in it's original language. Being against them existing is just gatekeeping pure and simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If even one of you gets into a subs v dubs argument with this guy, I will be very disappointed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

feedmyleg posted:

Within 20 years you'll be able to swap out actors in movies with whomever you want. Like, the technology is 80% of the way there right now.

This summer, Dom Deluise IS... ROBOCOP

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like anime dubs because I'm a voice actor nerd :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

feedmyleg posted:

Within 20 years you'll be able to swap out actors in movies with whomever you want. Like, the technology is 80% of the way there right now.

Its funny that studios keep spending millions to CG faces when the deepfakes are arguably better looking and less uncanny valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PZ3W1W20bk

Also lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWNFrrnuo7s

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I only watch cheesy old Kung Fu movies dubbed.

The worse the dub, the happier I am.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t have a take on dubs v subs (that post was a joke, Guy Mann), but it’s really jarring for me to watch dubs of pre-Rumble in the Bronx Jackie Chan movies and not hear his voice. There’s a copy of Crime Story up on Tubi right now where the guy dubbing Jackie is like a full octave too high and it’s just ridiculous.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sleeveless posted:

Some people have things like dyslexia or ADHD that make it hard to read subtitles and pay attention to visuals while also following the text. Other people are fully capable of it but still personally find it distracting. And then there are people for whom it would simply be more enjoyable and convenient to be able to consume a film or show without having to actively read every piece of dialogue.

Regardless, a dub is purely additive; worst case scenario it does absolutely nothing to diminish the quality or enjoyment of the original film in it's original language. Being against them existing is just gatekeeping pure and simple.

I think there's a fair but subtle stance which is to say "The original acting is often higher quality than the dub voiceover, so the original film and its original actor performances should be enjoyed and subtitles are thus preferable when possible; however, if you need or want to use dubs, then its cool they exist"

I generally prefer subs because I'm comfortable with them and I like hearing the original language and performance. But for some things the dub is a really high quality (Disney dubs of Studio Ghibli, for example) and/or I want to be able to look away from the screen without losing track of what's being said, so I watch dubs too. And yeah, if its a personal accessibility thing, then that's great if its an option.

One thing that gets even more subtle is that ideally you need 2 different subtitle tracks for foreign films, as often the dub will alter the translation somewhat. I had a friend recently upset because the Netflix subtitles didn't match the english language she was watching, and she thought they were just wrong. I pointed out that they actually matched the direct translation of the Japanese. So at that point you need separate Closed Captions for if you're watching in English but also still want text on screen to help with hearing.

But I don't think most people who even say "dubs are better!" are saying "subs should never exist and gently caress you if you have trouble reading"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh no..

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Man, Godzilla films have to be dubbed (Except for Shin Godzilla, the one truly scary Godzilla film) it's part of the fun!

Edit: drat it Zaphod, why?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My further contribution is that I cared so little about Justice League that I didn't even notice there was something funny with Superman's face.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh and I'll point out one thing about subtitles. I love subtitles when watching some UK shows. I'm pretty sure Scotland is just loving with the rest of the world with a really long troll. What the gently caress are those people saying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

My further contribution is that I cared so little about Justice League that I didn't even notice there was something funny with Superman's face.

I'ven't seen it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Croatoan posted:

Oh and I'll point out one thing about subtitles. I love subtitles when watching some UK shows. I'm pretty sure Scotland is just loving with the rest of the world with a really long troll. What the gently caress are those people saying.

Hahaha, subtitles definitely help with Limmy's Show even though its in English (or is it?)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

I'ven't seen it.

I thought it was better than Aquaman.

I'd say I gotta stop watching DCEU movies but Shazam was alright.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't see Birds of Prey but I guess I wasn't the only one lol

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Wonder Woman was pretty good. WW '84 looks awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wonder Woman has a couple of good scenes but most of it is eh. Everything on Amazon Island is weird

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Wonder Woman has a couple of good scenes but most of it is eh. Everything on Amazon Island is weird

The beginning was really boring, the end was the end of Captain America but with More CGI This Time. The middle had like 15 enjoyable minutes. It was an improvement over most other DC movies but I don’t think I’d call it a good movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wonder Woman's biggest problem is that all the DC movies so far have horrible villains with zero personality, no clear stakes or motivation.

Its a decent movie that is shot well and works fine as a comic book movie, but the plot just kinda peters off at the end. Its on like the same level as say Thor or Iron Man 2, but not as good as like Iron Man 1.

I hope now that the origin story is out of the way we can get some better plot development.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 10, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wonder Woman was good but yeah it kind of felt like a middle of the road MCU film that stood out in contrast to the tone of the previous DCEU films. But I like MCU films so like, I had no major complaints.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
birds of prey is good, btw

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Its funny that studios keep spending millions to CG faces when the deepfakes are arguably better looking and less uncanny valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PZ3W1W20bk

Also lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWNFrrnuo7s

For sure, they're just super low res right now. As soon as the resolution can be amped up to 4K levels get ready for way more digital resurrections.

e: also, Cavill should have the mustache in every film he makes from now on. It takes him from being a good-looking but fairly generic bro looking fella to being a handsome-as-gently caress lumberjack.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 10, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Norsemen is a very dumb joke that I am enjoying that doesn't overstay its welcome

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Norsemen is a very dumb joke that I am enjoying that doesn't overstay its welcome

Yeah it's just the one joke isn't it. I only saw a couple of eps before I was like "yeah, got it, it's funny when Vikings do viking poo poo but talk like modern people"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zoux posted:

Yeah it's just the one joke isn't it. I only saw a couple of eps before I was like "yeah, got it, it's funny when Vikings do viking poo poo but talk like modern people"

The joke with the slave one day from retirement would have been better if the arrows had hit the guy next to him though

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Phenotype posted:

How about Avenue 5? Surprised not to see a thread for a new sci-fi show with Hugh Laurie, but it's really mediocre too. I'm surprised it's so toothless, since it seems like it has a decent-sized budget, but again... just not that funny. I don't know who the actor is that looks like a young Jack Black, but he's just awful.

First two episodes were quite average but 3 was an improvement and 4 was kinda great.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Sex education got renewed for a third season :toot:

https://twitter.com/netflixuk/status/1226898652880347137?s=21

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

yay!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Zaphod42 posted:

It sounds like the problem is whoever is writing it isn't a big enough nerd and isn't familiar enough with true MMO elements, just the surface veneer of what everybody understands fantasy videogames incorporate?

I mean, writers include Charlie Day, Rob McElhenny, Megan Ganz and Ashley Burch (who, as some may or may not know, does a lot of video game voice acting, like Aloy in "Horizon Zero Dawn", Parvati in "The Outer Worlds" or Chloe in "Life is Strange") and Ubisoft is also heavily involved in the production. They've probably intentionally avoided going full nerd and simplified a lot for a broader appeal, but there's definetly enough background to go around.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Just finished season 2 of Dark. Really good show. Thought the dubbing would be annoying but turns out I barely noticed.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Taika is a worldwide treasure and very handsome, thank you new zealand

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

Just finished season 2 of Dark. Really good show. Thought the dubbing would be annoying but turns out I barely noticed.

it's better in german

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bowmore posted:

Taika is a worldwide treasure and very handsome, thank you new zealand

Once every ten or so years New Zealand gives us an incredible gift like Taika and I am so grateful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My opinion on dubs vs subs is that if it is live action I watched subtitles but if it is cartoon/cg I go with dub.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

bowmore posted:

it's better in german

The dialogue works better in German, imo...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The dialogue works better in German, imo...
You are agreeing with me?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah, I mean English and German are really close, but I think the show loses something when out of its native tongue.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Avenue Five Cancer poo poo Death Trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Avenue 5 is definitely getting better as it goes. The first two episodes were pretty blah but three and four were a lot of fun.