Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Wellwallah propaganda! Get angry, mi beratnas!

Ok, I’d buy that one sight unseen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They should make a mechanic's shirt or something with a Pur N Kleen logo on othe arms or breast pocket. Not a cheap looking blown up image on a t-shirt.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
spaceship show merch doing loving nerd shirts instead of flight jackets smh

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's just really easy and cheap to churn out some silkscreened T-shirts for $25 a pop whenever you get an order. It's probably an order of magnitude more difficult to do something more customized like a flight jacket or mechanics coveralls, and then they'd have to risk having unsold stock and have to gauge the popularity of this weird streaming sci-fi show that's a cult hit but definitely not a Star Wars popularity-wise.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
This merch has been around for a while, well before the show was on Amazon, anyway. Unfortunately it all looks like utter trash thrown together in about five minutes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mars is a lovely near-fascist failed state, a Starship Troopers level of dysfunctional military society. Don't know why anyone wants their logo on poo poo.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Mars is a lovely near-fascist failed state, a Starship Troopers level of dysfunctional military society. Don't know why anyone wants their logo on poo poo.

Because their armor and ships and aesthetic are cool as gently caress. It's fictional media, you're allowed to think things in it are cool without being an irl fascist. Aren't you a huge fan of Brigador?

God I'm so tired of this poo poo coming up every few pages.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 10, 2020

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I just want to feel like Holden, littering my surroundings with MCRN branded coffee cups.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Because it looks cool as gently caress. It's a tv show. Lighten up.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

Failed? Mars = Bernie, Earth = Hillary/Mayo, they/he was winning until Holden = DNC rigged the system by opening the gates.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
MCRN stuff looks cool that's all there is to it. To call the UNN bland in comparison is an understatement.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 10, 2020

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Because their armor and ships and aesthetic are cool as gently caress. It's fictional media, you're allowed to think things in it are cool without being an irl fascist. Aren't you a huge fan of Brigador?

My initials are SS, and I remember when I was a little kid I had a really cool way of writing it until the first time my mom saw it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Phenotype posted:

My initials are SS, and I remember when I was a little kid I had a really cool way of writing it until the first time my mom saw it.

Ok

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

God I'm so tired of this poo poo coming up every few pages.

I am sick of there not being a single loving place left on the internet you can escape these single track minded bores.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Grand Fromage posted:

I am sick of there not being a single loving place left on the internet you can escape these single track minded bores.

I'm sorry that reality still exists? Go read CSPAM and learn how to make us happy*, all you need is to do full communism and end fascism.

Also you're basically going "why can't I enjoy this lovely apolitical movie starship troopers," you know that right? Fascism is the aesthetic applied to imperial politics, cool looking coffee mugs are a part of this. You're not supposed to want to live on mars, although tbh I'd probably pick Mars over TE Earth if I had to live somewhere.

* In my case slightly less angry

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus loving christ. This thread gets really intolerable sometimes.

Nail Rat posted:

MCRN stuff looks cool that's all there is to it

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

T-man posted:

I'm sorry that reality still exists? Go read CSPAM and learn how to make us happy*, all you need is to do full communism and end fascism.

Also you're basically going "why can't I enjoy this lovely apolitical movie starship troopers," you know that right? Fascism is the aesthetic applied to imperial politics, cool looking coffee mugs are a part of this. You're not supposed to want to live on mars, although tbh I'd probably pick Mars over TE Earth if I had to live somewhere.

I like the vehicles and weapons on Empire side in star wars battle front, guess I'm I fascist. I don't quit out of a match of CSGO if I get put on counter terrorists, who are imperialist paramilitary forces of capitalist states, must mean I'm an imperialist. I think the spaceships and coffee mugs of a fictional depiction of Mars in the future are cool, which also means I think Hitler did nothing wrong.

There isn't a :jerkbag: emote big enough.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

You fuckin crybaby

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah I'm just going to bail on this thread, jesus loving christ. There are plenty of places on the forums I can go to watch people one up each other with their wokeness performances.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 10, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
one guy makes a post, you lot cry about it for a dozen more but it's the thread that's the problem, I'm sure it'll be fine without you

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
never follow a show thread in the off season

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tighclops posted:

one guy makes a post, you lot cry about it for a dozen more but it's the thread that's the problem, I'm sure it'll be fine without you

Your 7 posts itt have been a valuable contribution and I will miss reading your wise insights.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
mars demiliarizing/collapsing as shown in bobbie segments because of the ring worlds doesn't really make any sense to me. If anything their disproportionately large military lets them grab more of the new worlds just like the Spanish in the Americas

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Yeah I'm just going to bail on this thread, jesus loving christ. There are plenty of places on the forums I can go to watch people one up each other with their wokeness performances.

cry harder

Your 7 posts itt have been a valuable contribution and I will miss reading your wise insights.

somewhere else

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

mars demiliarizing/collapsing as shown in bobbie segments because of the ring worlds doesn't really make any sense to me. If anything their disproportionately large military lets them grab more of the new worlds just like the Spanish in the Americas

Why would Martian sailors/marines a 1+ year round trip voyage from home sign up for deployments like that? If their families and lives are on the local planet and they never rotate back to Mars between 3+ year stints of not seeing their families how long are they doing to stay loyal to Mars or care about orders from there?

If the Martian military and population disperses among a fraction of 1300 worlds, how does this save Mars as it currently exists?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Why would Martian sailors/marines a 1+ year round trip voyage from home sign up for deployments like that? If their families and lives are on the local planet and they never rotate back to Mars between 3+ year stints of not seeing their families how long are they doing to stay loyal to Mars or care about orders from there?

If the Martian military and population disperses among a fraction of 1300 worlds, how does this save Mars as it currently exists?

Spain held on to its colonies for like 300 years with worse lines of communication for their tech level, the new worlds developing their own economies/populations etc independent of Mars will take decades if not centuries. Mars can probably hold onto any new aquisitions for longer than like 2 months gap of time btwn S3-S4.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Typo posted:

I'm not 100% on board with the demilitarization as it's a little too sudden and trusting. But in general warships won't be all that useful for colonization unless you're fighting for territory. And Mars doesn't have enough warships to send one to each system, not even close to it - so there's plenty of space where that won't be an issue.

Also it absolutely makes sense that the best and brightest would gently caress off to live with actual air and water. I just don't think they'd be in a hurry to tear the military to the studs.

quote:

Spain held on to its colonies for like 300 years with worse lines of communication for their tech level, the new worlds developing their own economies/populations etc independent of Mars will take decades if not centuries. Mars can probably hold onto any new aquisitions for longer than like 2 months gap of time btwn S3-S4.

Not that it's really that material to this discussion(maybe it is, because it's a longer trip than the show makes it seem), but there are actually several years between the opening of the gates and when the Roci lands on Ilus. It's why Ilus isn't swarming with UNN ships after the pad blows up - it's a really loving long trip to get to the Ring, through the space to the Ilus gate, and then all the way to Ilus.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 10, 2020

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Nail Rat posted:

I'm not 100% on board with the demilitarization as it's a little too sudden and trusting. But in general warships won't be all that useful for colonization unless you're fighting for territory.

There's going to be thousands, if not tens of thousands, of skirmishes and battles over what is the largest colonial land grab in human history. It's simple inevitibility that some earth/mars/belter colonists with backing of their militaries are gonna duke it out over where the borders of their claims are going to be with each other.

Historically the evolution of large European navies was insintrically linked to the protection/fighting over colonial territories and trade routes. It wouldn't be any different over the ring worlds cuz the expanse is all about how human greed and nature doesn't change. Demiliarizing right on the cusp of colonizing the ring worlds when big cool navies are the primary tool used to secure your piece of the pie make no sense.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

Yes, Spanish soldiers free to rape and plunder the indigenious populace and set up personal fiefdoms over there were willing to engage in the machinery of empire. How is this relevant to a Mars that has significantly fewer military ships than planets available to be colonized, defense needs against the belt, and "decades if not centuries" before the colonies it controls can possibly pay for the expense of having a military scattered everywhere and months, at best, from reinforcement?

Grabbing the hub and declaring yourself emperor of humanities diaspora might makes sense for Mars, sponsoring and protecting colonies will just erode their population at home even faster.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Typo posted:

There's going to be thousands, if not tens of thousands, of skirmishes and battles over what is the largest colonial land grab in human history. It's simple inevitibility that some earth/mars/belter colonists with backing of their militaries are gonna duke it out over where the borders of their claims are going to be with each other.

Historically the evolution of large European navies was insintrically linked to the protection/fighting over colonial territories and trade routes. It wouldn't be any different over the ring worlds cuz the expanse is all about how human greed and nature doesn't change. Demiliarizing right on the cusp of colonizing the ring worlds when big cool navies are the primary tool used to secure your piece of the pie make no sense.

But the thing I'm pointing out here is that there's just NOT enough ships to cover all systems, not even close. And there's not going to be a lot of traction for building new ones until there's any real disputes. They're putting the shipyards to work building colony ships.

If you can't effectively cover your colonies with warships and neither can the other side, they're not all that valuable strategically. Tactically? Yes, they'd have some ready to respond to colonies in distress. Medina Station keeping track of where poo poo is is vitally important.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 10, 2020

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Yes, Spanish soldiers free to rape and plunder the indigenious populace and set up personal fiefdoms over there were willing to engage in the machinery of empire. How is this relevant to a Mars that has significantly fewer military ships than planets available to be colonized, defense needs against the belt, and "decades if not centuries" before the colonies it controls can possibly pay for the expense of having a military scattered everywhere and months, at best, from reinforcement?

Grabbing the hub and declaring yourself emperor of humanities diaspora might makes sense for Mars, sponsoring and protecting colonies will just erode their population at home even faster.

Well S4 is basically about how this whole planet is basically one big gold mine (just like Mexico/peru) so the way to pay for the military is clearly there as long as you have enough guns/ships to grab it. And while a bunch of colonists can mine illicum 2.0 or w/e they are still gonna be dependent on the Mars for advanced industries/military-industrial complex to protect them/supply them with more advanced goods/services.

Pretty much how the actual colonial era worked.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I watched the new season this weekend and it seemed really small in scope which led to it seeming drawn out to me. Thought the Murty thing would be resolved within a couple episodes but nope. The idea that a doctor/scientist didn't consider current prescriptions when trying to discern causes for immunity is bananas. Surely that isn't in the books? Does this season's pacing match the others relative to the books?

I still love the foundation of this story. Probably just need to read the books.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Nail Rat posted:

But the thing I'm pointing out here is that there's just NOT enough ships to cover all systems, not even close. And there's not going to be a lot of traction for building new ones until there's any real disputes. They're putting the shipyards to work building colony ships.

yeah but 'we don't have enough ships" isn't really a good line of reasoning for scraping pre-existing warships either. Even if your navy isn't big enough to cover like 100% of the ring worlds or w/e. You can still use it to grab 25% or w/e power projection you can manage.

Pretty much like how the actual colonial competition in the 1500-1700s worked

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

I watched the new season this weekend and it seemed really small in scope which led to it seeming drawn out to me. Thought the Murty thing would be resolved within a couple episodes but nope. The idea that a doctor/scientist didn't consider current prescriptions when trying to discern causes for immunity is bananas. Surely that isn't in the books? Does this season's pacing match the others relative to the books?

I still love the foundation of this story. Probably just need to read the books.

It's pretty much the same as the books, though like everything the pace is a bit faster in the show. However the difficulty thinking is better explained because by that point everyone has been awake for like ten days straight and are barely functional. She's also not a medical doctor.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

That's in the books, and it is a little silly.

The book, believe it or not, is even more plodding. The Avasarala, Bobbie, and Ashford/Drummer/Inaros plotlines just flat out don't happen in the book. It's all Ilus all day.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

Well S4 is basically about how this whole planet is basically one big gold mine (just like Mexico/peru) so the way to pay for the military is clearly there as long as you have enough guns/ships to grab it. And while a bunch of colonists can mine illicum 2.0 or w/e they are still gonna be dependent on the Mars for advanced industries/military-industrial complex to protect them/supply them with more advanced goods/services.

Pretty much how the actual colonial era worked.

Protect them from what? Raiders who have a months long return trip to a chokepoint where light speed transmissions will have arranged for them to be intercepted and blown up? Why are they dependent on Mars for anything? Is Mars going to blow up competing trade ships from Earth that try to land? Why? Much easier for another Earth/Mars war to erupt at home than to bother fighting out beyond the gates, in which case you better not send any of your ships outside the gates.

And none of this stops the problem that Mars' population wants to leave for better living conditions and freedom. Sending Martian military to make that easier or safer accelerates the process, it doesn't save Mars. Avasarala's hope was that Holden would gently caress up Illus so that colonists would be afraid to leave and she wouldn't have a big collapse/instability in her domestic political situation and especially in her biggest military rival and sometimes ally.

Apparatchik Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 10, 2020

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

yeah but 'we don't have enough ships" isn't really a good line of reasoning for scraping pre-existing warships either. Even if your navy isn't big enough to cover like 100% of the ring worlds or w/e. You can still use it to grab 25% or w/e power projection you can manage.

Pretty much like how the actual colonial competition in the 1500-1700s worked

It's more like you can "grab" 10-15% if you leave zero defense on your home planet against Earth or angry belters and put one single ship on each planet that is easily destroyed piece meal, and can't be rotated, resupplied, or given leave. And none of this stops a critical percentage of your population from leaving for the colonies and turning your homeland into a hollowed out ghost town.

The only realistic power play is to seize the hub and control all human trade and traffic, including placing limits on Martian emigration so that you can shift your industry and power base somewhere else before the collapse.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

You sound like a first year political science student trying to impress the professor.

T-man posted:

Recommending anyone go read CSPAM should be an instant probation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

And none of this stops the problem that Mars' population wants to leave for better living conditions and freedom. Sending Martian military to make that easier or safer accelerates the process, it doesn't save Mars. Avasarala's hope was that Holden would gently caress up Illus so that colonists would be afraid to leave and she wouldn't have a big collapse/instability in her domestic political situation and especially in her biggest military rival and sometimes ally.

Yeah the biggest impact of the ring discovery is it fundamentally changes the 3 major factions:

-Creates pressure on Earth for expansion especially given how many people are tired of the dead end existence feel for the Basic system
-The Belt / OPA have chance to use their natural engineering skills to start getting real wealth and opportunity for themselves
-The existence of habitable worlds breaks down one of the main multi-generational motivations of Mars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm sorry to have interjected politics into this lovely spaceship show.

I like it when the space ships shoot their PDC's, they shoot really fast and leave molten dust trails hanging in inside the ship until the ship adjusts its course. What's everyone's favourite space ship gun? I think the UN's orbital railguns are bad because they don't seem very reliable. Turning them on and off breaks them? Shameful.