Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The real mistake is making Freddy a wisecracker in the first place. In the first movie he's a scary guy, but by the end of the series he was a farce.

And yes I know the irony of my av right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Making Freddy innocent but also the monster murdering innocents feels like an unnecessary exercise done just for the sake of the swerve. The remake explored the idea and I thought it just felt weird. Like the vigilante murder is wrong and that's built into the consequence of him coming back for revenge, but what makes Freddy truly monstrous is that he's not really doing it for revenge. He's doing it because he likes it.

Is Nightmare on Elm Street really one we need to "fix"?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Related: I got another email from a Kickstarter from 4 years ago that apparently is finally happening with "My Gay Nightmare," a documentary by Mark Patton about his experience on NoES 2 and being a closeted gay man in the 80s.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Related: I got another email from a Kickstarter from 4 years ago that apparently is finally happening with "My Gay Nightmare," a documentary by Mark Patton about his experience on NoES 2 and being a closeted gay man in the 80s.

I thought this was called Scream Queen and I thought it was already made?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Here's a question: What is a bad horror film that you think with a little work could be amazing?

For example, in my mind The Poughkeepsie Tapes has MAJOR issues in pacing and some downright abysmal acting in places, but is a near masterclass in unbearable tension and dread in certain parts. If you cut out a lot of the talking heads and pointless poo poo such as the dude teaching the class who might be one of the worst actors I've ever seen and then tighten up some of the stalking scenes I honestly think you'd get something on par with Blair Witch in terms of found footage.

Event Horizon. It's not actually a bad movie, in fact I like it. But conceptually it's just much cooler than the slightly better than a Sci Fi original quality of the film. I feel with some better production values and direction it would be a classic. I've been saying for years it could use a remake. Which is something I rarely want from any film.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Shrecknet posted:

had no idea that was a thing. i had the luck of meeting him at a showing of NoES2 when Peaches Christ was doing a drag show showing of it at the Castro theater. They had a whole performance before the screening of a whole lotta drag queens re-enacting the movie in 15 minutes. It was pretty spectacular. Nice dude.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

I thought this was called Scream Queen and I thought it was already made?

You're right on the title; it was already made but they're finally sending out digital/disc versions to backers.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

You're right on the title; it was already made but they're finally sending out digital/disc versions to backers.

Yeah I was confused for a second because I read reviews of it months ago. Hopefully it finds a home somewhere on a streaming service soon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

STAC Goat posted:

Making Freddy innocent but also the monster murdering innocents feels like an unnecessary exercise done just for the sake of the swerve. The remake explored the idea and I thought it just felt weird. Like the vigilante murder is wrong and that's built into the consequence of him coming back for revenge, but what makes Freddy truly monstrous is that he's not really doing it for revenge. He's doing it because he likes it.

Is Nightmare on Elm Street really one we need to "fix"?

The remake played with the idea but then doubled down on him being guilty and made the child molestation/murder way more explicit than the originals. Which is the worst of all possible worlds. If Freddy maybe being innocent is something you're going to bring up, IMO once you've brought it up you have to make him actually innocent. That does make him a different character from the original Freddy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It makes him a more root-for-able villain if you're going to go the goofy slapstick Freddy route.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but the remake lost me BEFORE they doubled down. I just didn't know what it was expecting me to feel. Was I supposed to be rooting for the kids to set Freddy's tortured soul free or something? Were the kids supposed to deserve to die for lying? Was the vile murdering monster supposed to get sympathetic as he murdered teenagers who didn't even remember something they'd done as children? It was weird. Like... if you want to make Freddy some vengeful spirit then those he's seeking justified vengeance on shouldn't be literal children. The idea just doesn't work with the basic premise of Freddy/Nightmare on Elm Street, IMO.

I mean, that movie had other problems but that was a big one.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 10, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the point isn't so much to redeem Freddie as to establish that the enemy is the entire environment you live in and Freddie is incidental, that the parents are literally killing their children with their own selfishness, fear, and need for control

ideally Freddie would still be a gross, bitter old man even if he never killed anyone. there's a logical reason he's the scapegoat, maybe he even wishes he WERE a vengeful ghost, but at the end of the day he had nothing to do with it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Freddy being innocent I think does neuter the overall idea of the movie, which should be that mob justice is inherently flawed and just because the person is dead doesn't mean the trauma they caused all the sudden ceases to exist. If Freddy is innocent then the whole issue becomes a lot simpler because it's easy to look at a situation where an innocent man was killed and say yea that was wrong. But the more interesting issue is whether it's right or wrong when the man is guilty.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the point isn't so much to redeem Freddie as to establish that the enemy is the entire environment you live in and Freddie is incidental, that the parents are literally killing their children with their own selfishness, fear, and need for control

ideally Freddie would still be a gross, bitter old man even if he never killed anyone. there's a logical reason he's the scapegoat, maybe he even wishes he WERE a vengeful ghost, but at the end of the day he had nothing to do with it

It’s Freddy

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
We already have a movie of ‘what if Freddy was originally innocent?’ They made it ages ago and called it Candyman.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Underwater is a few tweaks from greatness. step the gas on some of the gore, give us a little more pacing and boom. modern genre classic

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

the gas on some of the gore

this needs to be increased in every movie

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

hey kvlt! wanna make a movie together? it'll be filmed entirely in back alleys and everyone will just be crying and smoking and lots of people will die with absurd amounts of gore, and there will be a very stark and dissonant soundtrack, and no happy ending.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yeah we can make a documentary about my life if you want

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

Absolutely.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

yeah we can make a documentary about my life if you want

ok fine who's gonna play you though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Adam Scott

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Powerman 5000 ain’t busy, get Spider One.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

Little Women definitely could’ve used some more head explosions

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

aware of dog posted:

Little Women definitely could’ve used some more head explosions

Sounds like someone didn’t stay for the post-credits scene.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Xenomrph posted:

Sounds like someone didn’t stay for the post-credits scene.

when Meg and Amy finish putting together their iron man-esque armor and reveal themselves to the town, whew. cant wait for the sequel.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Darthemed posted:

Powerman 5000 ain’t busy, get Spider One.

A less approachable-looking Guy Fieri?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It’s Freddy

i got too used to writing about the other one

King of Bleh posted:

We already have a movie of ‘what if Freddy was originally innocent?’ They made it ages ago and called it Candyman.

Candyman owns but there's a pretty crucial difference between the economic / cultural pressures on black neighborhoods producing a monstrous incarnation of anxiety and terror vs. a similar manifestation in suburbia

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 10, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the actual "we already have a movie where Freddy's innocent" is Edward Scissorhands but it's so-so at best

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

ok fine who's gonna play you though

in 6 foot 6 and 149 lbs the only option is one of the skeletons from tomb of the blind dead

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kvlt! posted:

in 6 foot 6 and 149 lbs the only option is one of the skeletons from tomb of the blind dead

You will be played by Stephen Merchant. I'm sorry, but there's nothing you can do about it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/PhilNobileJr/status/1226864025402793985?s=20

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Id award him a free lifetime subscription for that

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

alf_pogs posted:

Id award him a free lifetime subscription for that

just get a dumpster truck full of Fangoria mags featuring stuff like Jennifers Body, Teeth, It Follows and Ginger Snaps and dump them on their front lawn.

problem not solved, but hilarious nonetheless.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Does anyone have an opinion on The Lodge? I know it’s on a very limited release rn, but I figure someone might have seen it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I liked The Lodge a lot! The desolation and the loneliness of the setting are captured very well, and I thought the performances of the three main actors were engaging and complex. It's less gruesome or psychological than Hello, Mommy was, but it has the same moral scrutiny of the relationship between children and their parents. It's more of a thriller than a horror movie in that the physical threat of their situation is deemphasized in favor of focusing on the increasing interpersonal tension.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 10, 2020

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I'd like to see a version of Insidious where Jim Henson didn't do the creature design.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What am I looking at here? Is the guy who posted this someone working at Fangoria, and am I reading that letter right that they are cancelling their subscription because they believe Fangoria is a left-leaning horror magazine?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yes, the notorious leftist magazine.... fangoria...

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm a little surprised that the alt-right is even interested in conventional horror movies and it's publications.

I figure they'd use documentaries about immigrants to put themselves into that sweet "fight or flight" mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

ruddiger posted:

What am I looking at here? Is the guy who posted this someone working at Fangoria, and am I reading that letter right that they are cancelling their subscription because they believe Fangoria is a left-leaning horror magazine?

Yes and yes.