Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Drunk Theory posted:

Is this what this comics going to be then? Long periods of confusing actions and events, with some short words. Then a few pages of either journal or "Question and Answer, the plot" time. I think I'd prefer if the characters just talked to each other.

But hurrah, we know some of what's happening now.

Yes. I would too, but then Mookie would have to admit his terrible gimmick failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Why do you have the exact same handwriting as me?"

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Mookie's regret over this gimmick is palpable. If this goes on for years he's gonna give Snout telepathy to communicate with people without technically being spoken dialogue.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think he regrets it at all. I think he genuinely believes that this counts as no dialogue, because there are no speech bubbles. It's the only thing that's consistent so far.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

No, but I made one for Legacy.

Can probably circle "manipulating people is good" after today's galaxy brain reason for not revealing she's the pagefinder.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

PMush Perfect posted:

No, but I made one for Legacy.

Pencil in a circle for ""villain" has the moral high ground" since the ink witch's explanation for why the orc is bad is almost entirely unjustified.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tesseraction posted:

Can probably circle "manipulating people is good" after today's galaxy brain reason for not revealing she's the pagefinder.

Also "villain has the moral high-ground" since they're his stupid pages to begin with.

Also "Dom is perfect" because people are fighting over scraps of paper bearing his name.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This plot dump is being done solely so Mookie can get them both into a tent / mongreltown hotel together to 'camp out.'

The Ink Witch is going to reassure Snout that it's only natural for them both to sleep naked together because Dominic Mookie Snout is perfect the way he is and never has to do anything or change so he shouldn't worry about it; but Snout will struggle to fail asleep because he's such a nice guy and also pure virgin Anime tropes.

Snout will never ask the Ink Witch for her name. She exists only as a tool to validate his existence.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
We already have our protagonist-centered morality, the bad guy is bad because someone says he is! Was wondering when that would creep up.

Also I just realized like you could have her painting pictures in the sky that would convey this information and ACTUALLY not be dialogue but that would be difficult so no

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Maxwell Lord posted:

We already have our protagonist-centered morality, the bad guy is bad because someone says he is! Was wondering when that would creep up.

As was already pointed out, the evil orc was surprisingly non-violent with Snout when presumably he could have just killed him.

Give it a couple of months, I'm sure we'll find he's a racist murderer or something.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

This is poor writing. A lot of exposition but nothing that actually tells us the why of anything.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Little Death posted:

This is poor writing. A lot of exposition but nothing that actually tells us the why of anything.

A post that could have been posted basically 5 times a week during the original run and 3 times a week since the legacy began.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tesseraction posted:

A post that could have been posted basically 5 times a week during the original run and 3 times a week since the legacy began.

Nah, we've not even been getting meaningless exposition dumps all that often with the legacy.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

This was a few pages ago, but what is a reference to?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's Loss.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

It's Loss.

:vince:

How did i miss that?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Mors Rattus posted:

Nah, we've not even been getting meaningless exposition dumps all that often with the legacy.

I think the meaningless recap dumps are exponentially worse. Not one of them has told us anything that wasn't obvious before and it takes the already glacial pacing to a screeching halt.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

This was a few pages ago, but what is a reference to?

haha holy poo poo I missed this edit before, A+

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If it turns out the orc is the good guy, the ink witch is evil, and snout is just a moron, I will declare the legacy of dominic deegan to be a good webcomic

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m surprised that we don’t have a :loss: yet.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Pencil in a circle for ""villain" has the moral high ground" since the ink witch's explanation for why the orc is bad is almost entirely unjustified.

I was about to say the very same thing.

The orc might be a bit nasty of disposition but so far all he wants is to get his stuff back.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I forget, did the original strip ever have an arc where the big reveal was that the seemingly-trustworthy character was actually the villain? Because I could definitely see the twist coming with the Ink Witch actually exploiting Snout’s gullibility for some nebulous agenda that involves... the legacy of Dominic Deegan.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nah Mookie is in love with the Ink Witch so there's no way that's happening

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Regalingualius posted:

I forget, did the original strip ever have an arc where the big reveal was that the seemingly-trustworthy character was actually the villain? Because I could definitely see the twist coming with the Ink Witch actually exploiting Snout’s gullibility for some nebulous agenda that involves... the legacy of Dominic Deegan.

Do you count the friend of Dominic who was being controlled by his wife? Because he had a full 360 degree alignment spin over that arc.

And lest we forget the alignment chart is Deegan/not Deegan. Since evil wife got the famous rear end up death.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 11, 2020

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Regalingualius posted:

That would explain why Ink Witch lied to Snout (she's evil), and we can't have that.

I think all the times a seemingly Good character turned Evil it was because they were corrupted by magic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Come onnn, reveal that the real reason she doesn't like him is that he's an orc! Gimme that double bingo!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Impossible. Inkwich is a good guy. Only bad guys could dare dislike orcs. I mean what's not to like about them?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Regalingualius posted:

King Dave(??? was he a Dave?) who was beloved by all and turned out to be secretly evil.

the part where no one knew he was evil lasted all of like three strips tho

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Long before the king was introduced the country of Callan itself was cartoonishly evil so I’m gonna say he was never meant to be seen as good.

You could argue Sigfried was portrayed as good then revealed to be evil.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Sigfried was a dick from the beginning, but he became good accidentally in Mookie's stream of conciousness writing by murdering Luna's evil mom, Croona. Then he's sort of like a jerk with a heart of gold, until he is made irredemably evil and doomed to hell because of the wiles of the evil Jayden.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

He was made evil because of the wiles of Mookie not liking him being more popular than Dominic.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I know, I just find it funny that the act that cemented him being on the side of Deegan was brutally murdering a woman, who was old and vain and therefore evil, and the act that damned him also was about a woman and sexuality.

It's like Mookie has a pattern or something.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The Little Death posted:

I know, I just find it funny that the act that cemented him being on the side of Deegan was brutally murdering a woman, who was old and vain and therefore evil, and the act that damned him also was about a woman and sexuality.

This is all the more hilarious to me after I just got done reading a summary of the Golden Fleece for the first time, for some reason.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

The Little Death posted:

It's part of the reason why in some ways I find poo poo like Dominic Deegan or Naruto more creepy than outright fetish comics and poo poo. The authors clearly have deep seated issues with women but seem to be completely unaware of that fact.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's part of the reason why in some ways I find poo poo like Dominic Deegan or Naruto more creepy than outright fetish comics and poo poo. The authors clearly have deep seated issues with women but seem to be completely unaware of that fact.

Don't read Gantz. Hoooo boy.

Spoiler'd for sexual abuse & self-harm

The first female character in the comic appears completely naked, because she was teleported into the room all the characters are in when she was in the bath slitting her wrists. She flops onto the main character because she is delirious and was previously nearly dead. He can't stop thinking about how much this turns him on. One of the other characters, a Yakuza, immediately drags her into the other room to rape her (not the last time someone tries to rape her in the series). Someone else (not the main character, who does nothing) saves her. After this, a dog that is also in the room starts licking her vagina. Then she accidentally walks in on the main character who is naked and changing. Her personality is basically that of a naive and unconsciously sexual little girl, with huge boobs.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 11, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Gantz is objectively horrible for its treatment of women (and storytelling and art and morality), but there’s no masking there that for me makes the characterization of women in Dominic Deegan feel so creepy. The author of Gantz is so transparent with how he injects his beliefs into his work that he absolutely knows he’s doing it, but Mookie and Kishimoto feel like they have no idea that they’re telling on themselves. I think I remember at one point Kishimoto even acknowledged he didn’t know how to write women and that Lead to Sakura’s glow up in Shippuden (He still kinda blows it, though)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, understood. It's just kind of impressive to me how horribly the very first female character is treated in Gantz. Its like a conga line of the worst, most offensive decisions possible (by the author) that never stop.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So many posts I thought Wednesday's splendid form had been provided, but since I'm never averse to a small derail: did the manga also have that insanely disgusting scene from the anime where the protagonist demanded he gets to grope that girl's breasts during bedtime as the rent she pays him for living there, which she unhappily accepts?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It did, the chapter is literally called Dear Pet because he pressures her into it by saying he used to hug and kiss his dog as a kid and she’s staying there under the pretense of being his pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:ohno: