Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't like investing in stocks because people in the stock market generally seem like morons. Case in point, no one buying AMD until it skyrocketed.

Performance and sales I can kinda wrap my head around, but seventh-dimensional chess involving figuring out what other people will think about the value of the stock is where I want to stay the hell away.

I'm thinking of some small investments just for the fun of it to have something ten years from now, though. But investing is not where I'm gonna go gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Case in point, look at AMDs recent investor call and see how many times the analysts fail to understand that there's seasonality to console sales.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

WhyteRyce posted:

Don't make stock decisions based off technical merits of a product or your "understanding" of the industry

I didn't make a decision. Just said that AMD isn't going to be worth $1.5 trillion by 2024 is all.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Apple Finally Buying AMD CPUs? Pointers to Ryzens Found in MacOS Beta

quote:

Since its switch to the x86 machine architecture from PowerPC in the mid-2000s, Apple has been consistent with Intel as its sole supplier of CPUs for its Macbooks, iMac desktops, and Mac Pro workstations. The company's relationship with rival AMD has been limited to sourcing discrete GPUs. If pieces of code from a MacOS beta is anything to go buy, Apple could bite the AMD bullet very soon. References to several AMD processors were found in MacOS 10.15.4 Beta 1. These include the company's "Picasso," "Renoir," and "Van Gogh" APUs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'd buy a Mac Mini with an AMD APU.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Probably just a giant header file they include from all drivers.

It includes bullshit like Pitcairn too

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Apple has been doing this every few years since they switched to x86 and people always go mental. Part of their bargaining strategy with Intel and general due diligence is trying AMDs stuff. Keeping your hopes down is wise.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Malcolm XML posted:

Probably just a giant header file they include from all drivers.

It includes bullshit like Pitcairn too

Looks like it to me. Basically every AMD part ever is in there.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
eh nm probably nothing, got too hopeful for an amd apu hackintosh

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The 1600 AF I got doesn't seem to overclock too badly. I got it to 4ghz all core at 1.25v, Prime 95 stable for 3 hours so far. I'm not going to bother going for more than that since I want my PC to stay quiet and zen+ apparently hits a hard wall at 4.2-4.3 anyway.

Not bad for $85. Looks like Amazon stopped selling it though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If AMD had APUs good enough for Apple to consider, I don't think that Apple would be the first place we'd find out about them.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Inept posted:

The 1600 AF I got doesn't seem to overclock too badly. I got it to 4ghz all core at 1.25v, Prime 95 stable for 3 hours so far. I'm not going to bother going for more than that since I want my PC to stay quiet and zen+ apparently hits a hard wall at 4.2-4.3 anyway.

Not bad for $85. Looks like Amazon stopped selling it though.

What are you cooling it with? Mine will do 3900 at 1.3v but 4ghz is unstable at anything under 1.4v and I'm wondering if a better cooler will help.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lungboy posted:

What are you cooling it with? Mine will do 3900 at 1.3v but 4ghz is unstable at anything under 1.4v and I'm wondering if a better cooler will help.

gammaxx 400

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There was a Linus video about them using the newest 64c Threadripper to run the original Crysis "without a GPU, purely on software"

Can someone explain to me the technical workings of why that's supposed to be impressive? Isn't "software rendering" a thing that's been around for a while?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I believe Crysis was a resource hog whose highest possible graphics setting was beyond all available hardware at the time of release and gave rise to a "But can it run Crysis?" meme.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 11, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Inept posted:

gammaxx 400

Thanks. Too big for my case sadly, I'm limited to (i think) 125mm coolers in my QB one due to top fans. My best options are probably a Wraith Prism or an Arctic Freezer of some sort. Paying Noctua money for the last 1-200mhz seems pointless.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was a Linus video about them using the newest 64c Threadripper to run the original Crysis "without a GPU, purely on software"

Can someone explain to me the technical workings of why that's supposed to be impressive? Isn't "software rendering" a thing that's been around for a while?
I'm not sure it has in the way you're thinking? The software renderers of the late 90s were super barebones compared to equivalent 3D accelerated versions, eg Quake 2 lacked bilinear texture filtering and still used an 8 bit colour palette (hence no coloured lighting).

Running an entire GPU workload on a CPU is much harder since GPUs exist specifically to do work that is impractical to do on a CPU.

On contemporary CPUs trying to run Crysis entirely in software got you single digit fps at 800x600:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/direct3d-warp10-play-dx10-crysis-using-sw-renderer.html
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9280/crysis_completely_rendered_by_cpu/index.html

That said the Threadripper didn't seem to be particularly playable either, and not too far away from a much weaker CPU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8c2FKG1aec

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 11, 2020

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Is it normal for SoC/fabric power to be high on zen2 even idle? I dropped fclk to 1866 and lowered soc voltages (it took a lot to get 1900 stable and just isn't worth it because that power comes out of cpu/PPT), but even idle it sits at like 20W according to hwinfo. My cores might be using 0.05 to 0.30 watts each, but SoC will still be 19W.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Lungboy posted:

Thanks. Too big for my case sadly, I'm limited to (i think) 125mm coolers in my QB one due to top fans. My best options are probably a Wraith Prism or an Arctic Freezer of some sort. Paying Noctua money for the last 1-200mhz seems pointless.

I believe the Sharkoon QB One has a max cpu cooler height of 150mm unless you’re talking about a different case.

https://en.sharkoon.com/product/16433

The gammax 400 is still too tall at 155mm but I’m sure there are more options if you are interested in looking.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 11, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Because software rendering on general purpose hardware is stupidly slow, I remember going from software to a Voodoo2 back in the quake days and the difference was night and day.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Alpha Mayo posted:

Is it normal for SoC/fabric power to be high on zen2 even idle? I dropped fclk to 1866 and lowered soc voltages (it took a lot to get 1900 stable and just isn't worth it because that power comes out of cpu/PPT), but even idle it sits at like 20W according to hwinfo. My cores might be using 0.05 to 0.30 watts each, but SoC will still be 19W.

Iirc IF power consumption doesn't scale down well, no. Anandtech's got some graphs on it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

B-Mac posted:

I believe the Sharkoon QB One has a max cpu cooler height of 150mm unless you’re talking about a different case.

https://en.sharkoon.com/product/16433

The gammax 400 is still too tall at 155mm but I’m sure there are more options if you are interested in looking.

Aye it's 150mm but I'm assuming that's with no case fans above. If it's 150 including case fans then happy days. I contacted Sharkoon on FB ages ago to ask but never got a reply.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

A typical CPU has nowhere near the computational power or memory bandwidth to do it, is why, and if you tried it you'd be measuring the result in seconds per frame. In old games the software rendering required pretty sophisticated tricks to eliminate overdraw and preserve memory bandwidth, and even then they had to compromise down to 320x200 8-bit with no coloured lights.

The TR on the other hand is just ludicrously powerful, it approaches GPU level compute performance. You could theoretically run Crysis on it with better FPS than an era-appropriate GPU like the 8800 GTX, because the 3990X has more than 4x the compute and 10% more memory bandwidth than it.

E: Actually it's probably still slower, texture sampling is a major pain in the rear end. But close!

Spatial fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 11, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

Yes, that's mostly the reason Zen is.. not very good for mobile.
It gets worse the faster you clock your ram, 3600 already can really eat into a non-X's power budget.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Pablo Bluth posted:

I believe Crysis was a resource hog whose highest possible graphics setting was beyond all available hardware at the time of release and gave rise to a "But can it run Crysis?" meme.

Crysis wasn't badly written, it was just extremely single-threaded, which made sense at the time but is part of why it hasn't scaled fantastically on modern hardware.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Cool article on some of the 7nm design challenges that AMD faced.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ok, I’m going crazy, what the gently caress am I doing wrong where all my Boot Options disappear on an ASUS TRX40? All the devices are there (2x NVMe drives), but the BIOS just lists zero options for booting. I think it’s from me flipping the CSM on/off, but never seen this before.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

movax posted:

Ok, I’m going crazy, what the gently caress am I doing wrong where all my Boot Options disappear on an ASUS TRX40? All the devices are there (2x NVMe drives), but the BIOS just lists zero options for booting. I think it’s from me flipping the CSM on/off, but never seen this before.

Did you also turn on secure boot or something?

If the only drives you have in the system are NVMe then windows must have been installed in EFI mode. But if you also have a sata drive it's possible that you were in legacy this whole time.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Klyith posted:

Did you also turn on secure boot or something?

If the only drives you have in the system are NVMe then windows must have been installed in EFI mode. But if you also have a sata drive it's possible that you were in legacy this whole time.

Don’t think so. BIOS says Secure Boot disabled, set to “Other OS”. Only have two NVMe drives, and I’m installing RHEL 8.

With the CSM off, my USB drive doesn’t even appear as an installation option for RHEL 8. There’s no way the TRX40 in TYOOL 2020 needs the CSM to boot via NVMe, does it? Flipping it back on and clearing RTC brought back the options.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Never mind, it’s me, I can’t read / didn’t read the BIOS warning. Disabled CSM, told it I was installing Windows, rebooted and launched RHEL setup in UEFI mode and I think it’s good now.

I left BIOS development right when UEFI was becoming a thing / Secure Boot was starting to rear its head...failure to RTFM.

E: nope, never mind, installed off UEFI mode but still no joy being able to boot NVMe.

movax fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 21, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

movax posted:

There’s no way the TRX40 in TYOOL 2020 needs the CSM to boot via NVMe, does it?

I dunno, looking at the internet for Asus CSM it seems like it's more than just the legacy/EFI switch I'm used to from other bioses. There's stuff like the video card needing to support UEFI as well.

I think the settings you should be using are:
CSM - Enabled
Boot Devices Control - UEFI only

The only other suggestion I can see is people saying that to have the CSM disabled, you have to install the OS from the start with it disabled. Which isn't how it works elsewhere, but again I guess CSM does more than just the boot sequence. So if you really want CSM to be turned off, try disabling it and then booting a win10 stick to repair the existing install?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

movax posted:

With the CSM off, my USB drive doesn’t even appear as an installation option for RHEL 8. There’s no way the TRX40 in TYOOL 2020 needs the CSM to boot via NVMe, does it? Flipping it back on and clearing RTC brought back the options.
Sometimes, some USB stick imaging software fail to recognise that the drive has MBR partition tables, not GPT, and happily creates what it thinks is a great UEFI boot stick, but the UEFI system just throws itself into BIOS mode when it sees that MBR layout on the stick.

Problem is, this is inherited by your system when it's installed (or maybe *some* systems are smarter now - I know Win 10 ain't); it booted from MBR in CSM, so unless you custom partition your destination drive it will create MBR partitions and install Grub or whatever there. Thus, it will continue to boot in CSM mode for that installation, since basically your OS drive is now all wrong for what UEFI is concerned.

Or your distro hates your computer. I had so many problems installing rEFInd on an old HP 6305, probably due to some UEFI vars missing from their implementation? I stared myself blind before just going for the simplest "write the boot entry directly into the UEFI with the tool and gently caress it, as long as it boots"

Really does feel like Slackware, that Arch Linux.

AMD ob-post: Just when the i4440 seems a bit slow and I feel like flirting with AMD again (that Athlon 64 was so good) but of course I lost my job, so no Zen 2 greatness for me :(

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I bought AMD in 2016 but YMMV :shobon:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My AMD drivers installed themselves into not showing up on my laptop after a major windows update; took me a full hour to tell my machine to stop auto-updating AMD and to clean reinstall the files. Every six months with you stupid thing. :bang:

Just had to coincide with my laptop cooling pad dying on me huh?

(Radeon Adrenalin 500 series software)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Grouchio posted:

My AMD drivers installed themselves into not showing up on my laptop after a major windows update; took me a full hour to tell my machine to stop auto-updating AMD and to clean reinstall the files. Every six months with you stupid thing. :bang:

Just had to coincide with my laptop cooling pad dying on me huh?

(Radeon Adrenalin 500 series software)

That's a windows problem not an AMD problem. Turn off driver updates being delivered via windows update.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

peepsalot posted:

I decided to upgrade to a semi-modern sorta budget system, and was gonna jump on the 2700 @ $150 deal the other day but it was sold out by the time I went for it, and the best price I could find was $200. So I ended up getting a 2700X for $200 on prime day instead.

The other parts I got to go with the build are:
Mobo: Asus Prime B450-Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3000 C16
Storage: Crucial P1 500GB
PSU: Corsair RM750x
GPU: EVGA GTX 1660 XC
Case: Meshify C

So, about the motherboard, it was a prime day "lightning deal" impulse buy for $14 off the regular price of $89.99. After some post-purchase research, this seems like not a particularly recommended board. Just curious how bad is it? Looks like it has only 4 phase VRM, is this going to limit my TDP options if I decide to drop in a more powerful CPU, say a year or two down the line?

I posted this over half a year ago, and felt like I should give an update now that I've finally sorted some issues. This board was an absolute nightmare and caused me immeasurable headache every since I built this box. My system would constantly crash under heavy load, and the messages I got (NVMe controller was resetting itself/going into weird power states under load then getting remounted as read-only) made me think it was the NVMe drive's fault. After replacing the Crucial P1 with a Samsung 970 EVO, I was still getting the same type of errors though!

I finally came to the conclusion that the motherboard design was just wayyyy under spec'd to power a non-overclocked 2700X under full load (mayyybe just my specific unit was defective, but i'm leaning towards cheap design).
After watching buildzoid go over all the AM4 boards I decided to upgrade to an Asus TUF gaming X570 Plus which has much better VRM.

It has been totally reliable so far under any load, and I have yet to reproduce any of the maddening errors that the absolute poo poo tier PRIME B450 PLUS was spewing constantly.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Lol the VRM on the B450-Plus looks like it was straight up lifted from B350-Plus and that one could barely keep by R7 1700 alive. That line of asus mobos seems to just be plain old garbage.

On the Asus mobo my R7 1700 couldn't run stable with ram at anything higher than 2666mhz and even then could sometimes keel over.
Changed mobo to MSI B450 Mortar and now that chip is happily running rock solid @3.7ghz and 3200 Ram. Same chip same ram sticks.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

This is just my small personal observations in my own corners of the internet and purchasing experiences lately but Asus has worked themselves out of my rotation for PC hardware, excluding perhaps monitors where I would obviously know which panel was in it.

I can't find a single Asus product I would rather have at any price point versus the usual competition.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
I had a bizarre Asus mobo in core 2 duo days that would push stereo jacks out of the sockets just a tiny bit and then would mute the channels automatically even though the physical connection for audio was still there.
I resorted to wedging a coin between two stereo plugs to keep those fuckers in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

peepsalot posted:

It has been totally reliable so far under any load, and I have yet to reproduce any of the maddening errors that the absolute poo poo tier PRIME B450 PLUS was spewing constantly.

Good thing I went ahead and splurged on a then-top-of-the-line MSI mobo instead of the Asus Prime X470 I initially planned on using. I'm guessing the expensive ROG Crosshair are the only boards worth buying at this point?