Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Still work in progress, but the electrician just finished all the connections. 🙂

Theres a SVS sub hiding behind the couch and under the plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Glad to see someone else with a TV less than 65".

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's actually just really big furniture.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
But not so ostentatious

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 2, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Glad to see someone else with a TV less than 65".
My dream is a house with a Michael Scott Tv.

Plasma.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Running a bonfire video 24/7, hung above a fake fireplace with nothing in it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Led dimmable pots are in. Tv wired and mounted. Fishing speaker wire next.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

jonathan posted:

Led dimmable pots are in. Tv wired and mounted. Fishing speaker wire next.

Mitt Romney looks so unhappy on that TV.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DoLittle posted:

Still work in progress, but the electrician just finished all the connections. 🙂

Theres a SVS sub hiding behind the couch and under the plant.

What speakers are those

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

What speakers are those

They are Dali Zensor 5s.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Welp, figure I might as well fish for sympathy here.

Spent the last week debating, buying and then waiting for a nice new 75" Samsung 4k TV.

Then when I finally unbox the thing after it arrived today, the screen is cracked :/

I'm paranoid it was me when I was putting the leg in but I know there's no way that I used enough force to break the TV or that it could be that bloody fragile right?

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 13, 2020

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
There's no way that was you, modern lcd screens are really tough

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

CheddarGoblin posted:

That's reassuring, thanks. I read a few things online about the fragility of them and the instructions for it say to place it on a flat surface larger than the TV so you can attach the legs. Who the hell has a table that big though?

We (gently) placed it face down on the carpeted floor and then lifted the bottom up to slide the legs in. So i wasn't sure if that lifting motion, or it resting on the legs in that face down position would have cause undue stress. Though i suppose it would be quite daft if it could be damaged under its own weight like that.

Here are more closeups of the cracks:

The one on the bottom corner has an ever so faint indent you can feel on the screen itself so i'm thinking something hit it before it got packaged and shipped.

It's just a massive disappointment to be honest. We spent the last few days moving the old TV upstairs to a second AV room and rearranging the furniture around the house. Now the living room just has this monstrosity taunting us because it technically works and the setup is just how we want it, but has a broken screen.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I assume you've already contacted the place you bought it from for an exchange? You're going to want to do that ASAP.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Yeah, I got it through Amazon so contacted the seller yesterday about a replacement. With it being the weekend and all I'm thinking it'll be next weekend before my setup is ready for judgement.

They seem to be pretty good in the UK for being customer focused too so, if the seller causes any issues, I'm fairly certain I'll get a refund for it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I work in AV at a university, I've seen a LOT of broken LCD screens. Broken a few myself too, it's really not hard to do because a lot of chassis are very flimsy these days, particularly when they're larger as you have a lot more leverage. That's a weird break though, it's not an impact and panels themselves are reasonably flexible, we had one come in from our conference department that was literally curved like a banana and it still worked perfectly (the fully metal chassis was not a curved one to begin with!). That screen looks like it has had a sharp shock from say lifting one corner sharply while it was laid flat... If you didn't do that then it wasn't you. If you did do that then hope they have mercy on you (blag it!). Either way it isn't actually your fault the chassis has the structural integrity of a boiled noodle and broke installing the stand like it tells you to. Ideally you want the screen laying on it back with the bottom section hanging off a table, but that only helps if the feet attach directly to the bottom. If they attach to the back then you have to place it face down which means you then need to pull at weak corners to lift it and that's where consumer grade large screens are most at risk because they're plastic.

Get it sent back, not your fault.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 14, 2020

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CheddarGoblin posted:

Lol I broke my 4k Samsung just by squeezing it when moving, they aren't tough at all.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cheers and yeah we did have it lying flat, face down, before lifting it up to put the feet in, but we did it gently and simultaneously at both sides. No sharp jerks or twists or anything like that.

We were going to try putting it on it's back but the instructions said face down, even though the feet slide onto the bottom.

When the replacement comes we're going to ignore the instructions for taking it out of the box and leave it lying flat on the ground before sliding it off.

That way, we figure it'll still have the polystyrene shell propping it a few inches off the ground and keeping it rigid to let us put the feet on before standing it up vertically. Not sure how much extra protection that'll give it but given the weight of the TV it can't hurt I think.

Kin fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 14, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I imagine face down is to spread the weight but they haven't thought that they may need to change the instructions on bigger screens with loads more leverage on flimsy casings.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Well the store just got back in touch and said that due to the current Covid situation they're unable to collect faulty or damaged goods from customers. They're also unable to arrange a replacement or refund until they're are able to collect it from me. :/

Seems kinda weird that they wouldn't just use the same couriers that delivered it to me (i've gone back to them with this). Also, i know we're in a unique situation, but waiting an indeterminate amount of time (could be weeks or months) to even get a refund feels pretty sketchy. Hopefully Amazon can help if i get nowhere with the store.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's seriously lovely.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Seems like a lot of companies are using the roni as an excuse to shirk responsibilities.

On topic, I am moving into my new condo in October and wondering if I need a new tv stand for the behemoths known as ps5 and xbox series x.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Seems like a lot of companies are using the roni as an excuse to shirk responsibilities.

On topic, I am moving into my new condo in October and wondering if I need a new tv stand for the behemoths known as ps5 and xbox series x.

I personally really like the ones CB2 has.

Theres one thats white with a cool suspension effect that looks kinda like a chunky bacteriophage. And a slightly pricier marble-topped one with a lovely chevron wood grain pattern on the front. Both are available in 2 widths.

And you can go way less expensive and simpler too. I still really dig the look of a clean powdercoated metal stand/cart.

Tons of options out there

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Ps5 is ridiculous in appearance and size, they weren't dumb enough to make it wider (laid sideways as it should be) than a standard av received did they?

The Xbox is just thicc but not really big.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I love my Salamander Designs Synergy, not cheap but walks the line well between A/V furniture and actual furniture and it's still in once piece after 20 years and 4 moves. They have more expensive stuff that actually looks nice but still have the adjustable shelves and are actually deep enough for components like receivers.

e: looks like the PS5 is about 15 inches wide so it will fit in the space for a standard component.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 15, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Samsung will cover the warranty on that. They send out a tech to my house and replaced my 4k Sammy LCD. Still works to this day.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So, update on the TV.

The company eventually clarified their process and said that i could get refund just now without them picking up the TV. however i had to sign a form saying i'd basically keep the TV safe and "free from damage" :rolleyes:

This form is also going to be sent physically rather than by email because of course it is. I've got it but now have to post it back to them and wait for them to receive it before i get the refund. Then at some unspecified time in the future, their couriers are going to come by and pick it up.

When i was packing it up, i found one of those small display cards that stores usually stick on TV in the shop. I suspect they gave me a repackaged display model and damaged it while putting it back in the box.

Anyway, while i was waiting for a refund, i just got the same model from a more reliable place.

Here's my setup:

We were debating whether to put it flat against the wall but we think the angle of it now works better for the two chairs pointing to it.

I've still to tidy up some of the cabling underneath and all the white isn't the most pretty looking, but it has some LEDs for the shelving which'll add a bit of contrast when i hook them up.

Also, no cracks, so that's a plus.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The way some companies deal with stuff is ridiculous, what a nightmare... Glad you got sorted with a new one though.

And flat against the left wall let's you flank it with a nice set of floorstanders so your sound matches the picture in terms of quality... :v:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Kin posted:

We were debating whether to put it flat against the wall but we think the angle of it now works better for the two chairs pointing to it.

Congrats on a nice TV!

TBH I think it looks a bit oversize in that room, but then I'm one of those guys still making do just fine with 42"...

I assume there are no kids in the house - if you ever plan to have kids over, better strap that sucker down to the bench with something. I assume the manual can tell you how. (IOW, looks to me like it's ready to tip over the front edge at any moment.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
3rd person to say it: put that sucker against the wall...or preferably on it. It looks oversize because it completely fills that corner that it's in almost to the curtain. If you put it against the wall it'll scale much better to the room, and like Olympic Mathlete says, gives you the option to add speakers...and more furniture/gear, plants, lamps, etc.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Or do like this guy and build a fake wall around it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Some Goon posted:

Or do like this guy and build a fake wall around it.

Ew lol no.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cheers for the pointers and no kids yet, though i never thought about the TV tipping. It's pretty level and the picture makes it looks like it's at a funny angle when it isn't, but do appreciate it fills up the unit so i'll have a think about how to secure it.

I was in favour of the wall but my fiancee sits on the couch to the left in that pic and wasn't having any of it because she'd have to "turn 90 degrees" to look at the TV.

We went for the corner because it meant the line of sight was more straight towards where the chairs are. It's also south facing and that picture was taken when it was pretty dull. That corner is one of the few place in the room that doesn't get hit by direct sunlight.

It's a bit of a tricky one because the chairs are all recliners, so they take up quite a bit of space and don't really fit well in other configurations in the room. There's another radiator in an awkward place to the right of the arm chair on the right hand side (just out of shot in that picture) which prevents us from swapping the chairs around :/

Though i'm open to radical ideas on layout changes!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kin posted:

Cheers for the pointers and no kids yet, though i never thought about the TV tipping. It's pretty level and the picture makes it looks like it's at a funny angle when it isn't, but do appreciate it fills up the unit so i'll have a think about how to secure it.

I was in favour of the wall but my fiancee sits on the couch to the left in that pic and wasn't having any of it because she'd have to "turn 90 degrees" to look at the TV.

We went for the corner because it meant the line of sight was more straight towards where the chairs are. It's also south facing and that picture was taken when it was pretty dull. That corner is one of the few place in the room that doesn't get hit by direct sunlight.

It's a bit of a tricky one because the chairs are all recliners, so they take up quite a bit of space and don't really fit well in other configurations in the room. There's another radiator in an awkward place to the right of the arm chair on the right hand side (just out of shot in that picture) which prevents us from swapping the chairs around :/

Though i'm open to radical ideas on layout changes!

The tvs gonna be a pain to watch on sunny days in the corner too. Possibly moreso, because youll get hit in the corner of the eye with stray beams.

Regardless of what you do, get some good curtains. Like right now. Theyre cheap online and in most stores. I was at Costco the other day and they had blackouts in like 5 colors for $20 a set or something. Get good light diffusion curtains for letting in ambient light and some with blackout capability so that you can make it cinema-dark if you want. Id maybe go with three stacked curtains (totally common and cheap)- two with increasing levels of light blocking but still pass-through and then blackouts. That will let you control the light optimally no matter the time of day or season.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Yeah those curtains i've got are blackouts (that was our first priority house buy when we moved in) and the blinds are wooden so we can get it pretty dark when we want to. I don't doubt that with the size of this thing it'll catch the light, but that back wall just gets smashed with it during the day.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just recently put the finishing touches on my basement office/home theater

went with a Polk 3.1 setup as I don't really have any space or place to mount rears speakers, was going to actually get a screen for this but the BenQ wall color match gets you VERY close and has plenty of advanced color options to further fine tune.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So wait, you're projecting onto a blue wall? I'm not sure how you expect the projector to compensate for that other than trying to trick your eyes' auto white balance to not notice.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

3000 lumens at 6ft it does a good job at getting you there with a few button presses but it did take some adjusting in advanced menu taking out some additional blue and adding some red. Pretty simple once you throw up some color bars.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i mean, I'd still put in a silver screen if it were me, but that's impressive amount of working around to get something clearly not ideal to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sniep posted:

i mean, I'd still put in a silver screen if it were me, but that's impressive amount of working around to get something clearly not ideal to work

Working in live production you get used to having to adjust color on individual panels of video walls, I was honestly shocked how close the projector got with just setting wall color to blue .

I had planned on getting a screen but wanted to see the sizing with the projector up since it's a pretty tight space, it was budgeted for and everything but besides maybe better contrast I'm not sure I'm going to get much value out of one (plus it's just one other thing for my cats to gently caress up)

Edit: should probably state the projector model is a BenQ th671st