Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

If you go into the SA server room and listen very closely you might hear radium's voice in the hum of all the electronics.

"handwich" it says

Radiumchat got me to buy someone without an av one that says “HANDWICH DEVOURER”. Keep an eye out for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Is it okay to talk about an on going saga? They don't happen often in the LP forum:

https://youtu.be/sQd1WKktkVo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Not as good as the LP Exodus when a bunch of people quit because of drama involving lowtax and shmorky

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Is it okay to talk about an on going saga? They don't happen often in the LP forum:

Pls clean your monitor wesflager

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Oh my god dude, it's a day. You'll live.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh, he'll be back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Len posted:

Not as good as the LP Exodus when a bunch of people quit because of drama involving lowtax and shmorky

And started an offsite that immediately died iirc.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Oh, he'll be back.

I don't know what you mean! He clearly doesn't care.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If we're talking about the lp zone, I believe it technically still exists but it has very little content that isn't directly mirrored here.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
His next post is almost guaranteed to contain one of the following words:
- henceforth
- nevertheless
- thusly
- fa**ot

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lmao @ that video

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The thumbnail for that vid should be him giving the finger.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
big white arial impact font

DAY PROBATION FROM SOMETHING AWFUL???
I'M NOT MAD!!!!

then yeah the middle finger thumbnail maybe some guy doing the :O face

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

If we're talking about the lp zone, I believe it technically still exists but it has very little content that isn't directly mirrored here.
That was the case from day one, really. None of the bigger-name LPers who left during (or shortly after) the Shmorky poo poo even post there anymore.

I also remember how almost everyone who joined the LP Zone in its early days made a point to mention how they didn't want to join SA because the LP forum was hostile to newcomers and you could easily get probated or banned. Which had been the case about three years earlier, but by that point it had massively chilled out and you'd have to be a total shitposter (like Mr. I Really Don't Care in that video) for anyone to bother making fun of you let alone probating/banning you.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Was it here where someone announced they were having a Zelda-themed wedding, then a bunch of people said not to do it, then they did it?

Edit: yup, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2493560
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2566121

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 10, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I bounced into the lp discord a couple weeks back and they're working on creating yet another off-site apparently

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I still think they're biggest mistake was that awful Discourse software they went with. It's pretty bad in general and just terrible for LPs in specific.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Did the big name SA LPers mostly experience a drop in traffic after they left?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Let's Pout

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Haha

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Heath posted:

Did the big name SA LPers mostly experience a drop in traffic after they left?

Most of the people who followed them here follow them on Twitter anyway. Honestly they can probably expand their viewerbase more focusing on sites that aren't dying.

Screenshot let's plays are the only thing you need a forum like medium for and nobody is doing those for views/money anyway

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

most of the "exodus" was just big time lpers getting banned by lowtax for the crime of talking about him being weird on the website twitter. the lp off-site was a trainwreck tho lmao

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 10, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, now that LPs are actually really big on Ytube itself, in truth the LP forum is nowhere near as big as it once was.

Edit: This coming from someone who actually DID an LP.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

Was it here where someone announced they were having a Zelda-themed wedding, then a bunch of people said not to do it, then they did it?

Edit: yup, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2493560
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2566121

It's pretty funny how the goon fear of being seen as a nerd translates to a bizarrely puritanical idea of what a wedding should be.

they're dorks, but that was a pretty tasteful nerd wedding all things considered.

edit: jesus that thread is bad

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 10, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
it's kind of wild in an "american accent is closer to traditional english than current british accents" sort of way but old SA was a feral bitch palace basically indistinguishable from current day KF or 4chan, it's just that everyone who stuck around figured out how to socialize, while everyone too embittered on their own ugliness to get along began pidgeonholing themselves into smaller and smaller communities of indistinguishable miserable turd-goblins.

to them, we're the normies.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

It's kinda funny, while I've been aware of Reddit and 4chan for many years I never really got into them, but let's play brought me into SA and helped me grow into a real human being instead of the lovely libertarian lite I used to be.

Sometimes I think back and shiver about the kind of person I would have become if I ended up elsewhere first.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

it's kind of wild in an "american accent is closer to traditional english than current british accents" sort of way but old SA was a feral bitch palace basically indistinguishable from current day KF or 4chan, it's just that everyone who stuck around figured out how to socialize, while everyone too embittered on their own ugliness to get along began pidgeonholing themselves into smaller and smaller communities of indistinguishable miserable turd-goblins.

to them, we're the normies.

I can give some slack, because 13 years is a long time for growing up, but the idea that some of those people were late 20s or older back then is pretty bonechilling.

I joined SA right around the beginning of the shift to its current culture, and it has been really interesting to see the toxic weirdos slowly get squeezed out. The fact that the FYAD drama just now happened, after the last of the authentic irony vanished, is reflective of that

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 10, 2020

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FutureFriend posted:

most of the "exodus" was just big time lpers getting banned by lowtax for the crime of talking about him being weird on the website twitter. the lp off-site was a trainwreck tho lmao

I'm trying to think who got banned who was big? I'm just coming up with VoidBurger and PsychedlicEyeball, but most everyone else just kind of left

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I'm trying to think who got banned who was big? I'm just coming up with VoidBurger and PsychedlicEyeball, but most everyone else just kind of left

There were like a dozen of self-bans. Mostly people who exclusively posted in LP.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Paladinus posted:

There were like a dozen of self-bans. Mostly people who exclusively posted in LP.

A few of them made a big deal of it too, fell on their swords and everybody went "who?"

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Anyone remember that one LPer who threw a giant fit and self banned when the stupid newbie avatar got changed to Trump? I still think back to it and laugh sometimes.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Voidburger and damehasclass got banned for comments on Twitter, psychedelic eyeball flipped the gently caress out, some others did variations of selfbanning and just not posting anymore.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

FutureFriend posted:

i want to hear more about what a trainwreck it was. because all I remember seeing was somebody on twitter (void?) saying they were thinking about making people pay for a monthly subscription to post LPs there

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

So like a patreon model?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Like that, but instead of somebody paying you to create content, you pay somebody else for yourself creating content

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Miss posted:

i want to hear more about what a trainwreck it was. because all I remember seeing was somebody on twitter (void?) saying they were thinking about making people pay for a monthly subscription to post LPs there

I deeply regret that we never got the saga of people paying money to post their LPs in the Cool Kids Forum for their shot at superstardom, because you know there would have been some

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Miss posted:

didn't really pay attention to the higher-up poo poo and i stopped posting p early, so i don't really know about that kind of stuff. honestly its all kind of esoteric and probably boring as sin, but the two big things were that discourse absolutely stunk for screenshot lps so they were dead on arrival (like discourse by default tends to downsize screenshots to something small like 300px wide) and the community tended to center more around LPers with prior fanbases. so unlike SA where a ton of first-time or minor LPers can always get a bunch of posters happen depending on the game, there were just a bunch of dead threads about that was just the OPs posting updates and eventually giving up. the latter seems to have been the big thing that ultimately killed it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Famethrowa posted:

I joined SA right around the beginning of the shift to its current culture, and it has been really interesting to see the toxic weirdos slowly get squeezed out. The fact that the FYAD drama just now happened, after the last of the authentic irony vanished, is reflective of that
Not particularly. FYAD getting deleted was a step in the right direction but all indications are to all progress getting undone so :shrug:

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Anyone remember that one LPer who threw a giant fit and self banned when the stupid newbie avatar got changed to Trump? I still think back to it and laugh sometimes.
I would like to second this, I vaguely remember it and could use the laugh.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The spin off LP forum just kind of confused me because well....most randos who are still coming to see LPs on SA aren't likely to know or care about any drama and about the creation of a spin off. And forums are not the new hotness anymore for building an audience. Youtube, Twitch, all that are where it's at. So starting a new unknown forum on the power of....their names, I guess was just....what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Garrand posted:

Voidburger and damehasclass got banned for comments on Twitter, psychedelic eyeball flipped the gently caress out, some others did variations of selfbanning and just not posting anymore.

I seem to remember VoidBurger spreading some insane conspiracy theory that Lowtax was making it so that posters of color could only post in TGRS when this all went down, too.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not particularly. FYAD getting deleted was a step in the right direction but all indications are to all progress getting undone so :shrug:

WTF are you talking about?