Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it would cause him to have an episode
but there are episodes and episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
part of my urgency in trying to get in contact with ligotti is that he could literally die at any moment

but then again, isn't that true for everyone?

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sweet ligotti, the peasants call him the goddess of gloom

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

can't tell whether it is a property of Ligotti to make a random goon swoon after him like this every few months or if its just a series of reregs of the same goon :iiam:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

grobbo posted:

'I Have A Special Plan For This World' is a drat good 22 minutes of 'what if Thomas did spoken word?'

I don't remember how I originally discovered this but it made a very strong impression on me. Everything about it is just superb.

You would think 20 minute spoken word piece :jerkbag: but it's actually quite hypnotic.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't remember how I originally discovered this but it made a very strong impression on me. Everything about it is just superb.

You would think 20 minute spoken word piece :jerkbag: but it's actually quite hypnotic.

Yeah, completely agreed.

The use of repetition makes it end up feeling quite...beautiful and Beckettian in places, I think? Although I don't know how much Ligotti would acknowledge or accept that influence (he dismisses Kafka's Metamorphosis in one of his interviews, so it's probably just best to give up on making assumptions about the writers he likes).

quote:

He whispered
That my plan was misconceived
That my special plan for this world was a terrible mistake
Because, he said, there is nothing to do and there is no where to go
There is nothing to be and there is no one to know
Your plan is a mistake, he repeated
This world is a mistake, I replied

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bilirubin posted:

can't tell whether it is a property of Ligotti to make a random goon swoon after him like this every few months or if its just a series of reregs of the same goon :iiam:
the truth will astonish you

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

lol just lol if you can't spot avshalom's lust fantasies for Ligotti from a mile away at this point, what have you even been doing on the forums for the last six years?!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

the way to get in touch with Thomas is to go to his fan forum and talk to one of the admins there.

What I'm trying to say is getting in touch with Ligotti is kind of a Ligottian story in itself.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

ravenkult posted:

the way to get in touch with Thomas is to go to his fan forum and talk to one of the admins there.

I thought you were just supposed to offer scraps of black cloth to a crow, then wait for a phone call.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

ravenkult posted:

What I'm trying to say is getting in touch with Ligotti is kind of a Ligottian story in itself.

have you been in touch with ligotti

Octopus Gregory
Jul 3, 2004
Hey

My Ligotti collection :3 Post yours in tribute to this unhappy man!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

have you been in touch with ligotti

A few years ago I wanted to interview him, an admin passed my email along to him

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
If he didn't format all his replies in the form of crude, lo-fi videos of puppets speaking in whispers then I'll be very disappointed.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i don't want to have sex with the man, i just want to get him high and talk about the holocaust

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I feel like Ligotti wouldn't use any mind altering substances

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

COOL CORN posted:

I feel like Ligotti wouldn't use any mind altering substances
you're right, he probably doesn't even drink coffee because it gives him visions of hell

we will listen to the three released versions of leonard cohen's puppet song, one after the other, over and over for as long as it takes

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the story where he is haunted by visions of a malevolent clown puppet the size of a man really touched me, both because of the meat nonsense but also when he describes the light turning rose gold before the vision commences, because that happens to me too

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm picturing you sitting out in the sun with your quails reading Ligotti and occasionally reading choice passages aloud to them

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

the ruins is, and i am not being hyperbolic, one of the top 3 worst books i have ever read in my life

All I remember is pissing and making GBS threads described in excruciating detail.

Ariza posted:

What other books or authors would y'all recommend that are similar to Adam Cesare? I think I've finished off his ouevre now and I like the shorter, simpler 80s horror movie aesthetic for listening to/reading at night time when I don't really want dense prose or trying to find layers to a story.

Try Max Booth III

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I don't understand much of the past few pages, but they somehow made me really excited to experience Ligotti. I ordered Teotro Grottesco

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

escape artist posted:

I don't understand much of the past few pages, but they somehow made me really excited to experience Ligotti. I ordered Teotro Grottesco
That's basically the purpose of these threads, so job well done.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah it worked on me way back when and I don't regret it

No Thomas Regrettis

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

escape artist posted:

one of us

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/archive/PIA16881.wav

This is what I imagine all Ligotti's audiobooks would sound.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The Special Plan is retrogenesis

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have an Audible credit I need to use. What's cool that I can get on Audible?

edit-- I can get the complete Blackwater for 1 credit, that's like 30 hours of content. Is it good?

edit2-- Blackwater is part of a 2-for-1 sale right now so I got it. Thanks for coming on this journey with me.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 14, 2020

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

COOL CORN posted:

I have an Audible credit I need to use. What's cool that I can get on Audible?

edit-- I can get the complete Blackwater for 1 credit, that's like 30 hours of content. Is it good?

edit2-- Blackwater is part of a 2-for-1 sale right now so I got it. Thanks for coming on this journey with me.

Fyi if anyone here who isn't this satisfied customer is looking for a really well done audiobook, the sci-fi necromancer murder mystery Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir is just one of the best made audio books I've ever listened to. It's not quite full on horror but it has enough solid horror elements (there's necromancy for every body system, not just bones--vein and body fat based necromancy yiiiikes) that if you don't totally hate wacky space fiction it will scratch many horror fan itches. The monsters are disgusting and scary and the plot is very horror in a lot of ways (people keep dying in a mysterious goth af space mansion). It's probably my book of the year last year and the audio edition is just superb. I read way more horror than sci-fi these days and it bridges the gap between the two very well.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh poo poo I was just thinking about that book the other day! Ah well, I'll read that one next month.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Oh poo poo I was just thinking about that book the other day! Ah well, I'll read that one next month.
It really isn't horror as much as an action romp. Really fun action romp, mind you.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

anilEhilated posted:

It really isn't horror as much as an action romp. Really fun action romp, mind you.

Yeah but it had me at "lesbian necromancers"

But drat y'all Blackwater is really good so far

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh poo poo conspiracy against the human race is on Audible!

Then again if it's not a man hysterically sobbing through the entire reading, it doesn't seem like it'd be proper Ligotti mood

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Fyi if anyone here who isn't this satisfied customer is looking for a really well done audiobook, the sci-fi necromancer murder mystery Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir is just one of the best made audio books I've ever listened to. It's not quite full on horror but it has enough solid horror elements (there's necromancy for every body system, not just bones--vein and body fat based necromancy yiiiikes) that if you don't totally hate wacky space fiction it will scratch many horror fan itches. The monsters are disgusting and scary and the plot is very horror in a lot of ways (people keep dying in a mysterious goth af space mansion). It's probably my book of the year last year and the audio edition is just superb. I read way more horror than sci-fi these days and it bridges the gap between the two very well.

it's narrated by this person, who you may know if you're around my age. it turns out she's a great voice actor.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah but it had me at "lesbian necromancers"

But drat y'all Blackwater is really good so far

Just to temper expectations, Blackwater is loving amazing, but not "horror" in the traditional sense. More Southern Gothic lite family drama with monsters. If you're digging it off the bat, though, you'll probably like it all the way through.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah the "weird"Ness of it is scratching the horror itch well enough, and it gets lumped into horror enough that I figured I could mention it in here.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

The Alien 3 audible original is actually pretty cool btw

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I had the tools to describe how crazy good The Shaft was. It felt a bit like a Coen's movie with a supernatural twist. The writing is brilliant, the trainwreck full tilt in your face. One of my best reads in months.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

Oh poo poo conspiracy against the human race is on Audible!

Then again if it's not a man hysterically sobbing through the entire reading, it doesn't seem like it'd be proper Ligotti mood

Can you report into the thread on how it is? I've been mulling a reread, but listening to it could be nice

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finally got around to finishing Hill House. I liked it! Thanks for the recommendations, thread.

So if that and The Shining are my favorite spooky books, what’s next? My favorite aspect of a horror is the setting, specifically pretty, secluded places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

Finally got around to finishing Hill House. I liked it! Thanks for the recommendations, thread.

So if that and The Shining are my favorite spooky books, what’s next? My favorite aspect of a horror is the setting, specifically pretty, secluded places.

mcdowell's the elementals