Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Did Costco or maybe Price Club or even Sams used to do the thing where you just wheeled up the cart and they scanned and put it into a second cart directly? No belt or scale, just cart to cart? Last night I was feeling like the taking my goods out of the cart was a waste of time. Of course it meant they didn't have to lift 80 lbs of kitty litter which may be the deciding factor.

Yeah, my Costco used to do the cart to cart thing now that I think about it. It was probably to ensure that everything got scanned. Not sure when they got rid of that system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone remember this ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-1F71Wa_zo

Basically that amazon store but as envisioned by ibm back in the early noughties.

Definitely downsides to that but sometimes I think that’d just be cool how drat convenient it is..

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Pump Jockey posted:

Costco would be a better place if everyone just put all of their items in their cart barcode-up as they shopped. I always do that and sail through the checkout, earning praise from the cashier who only has to speedily beep-beep-beep through my cart with the handheld beepery thingy.

This is a pro-tip. I usually only put soft, non-box items on the conveyor belt. Helps get in and out in 20 minutes, even with a cart load and children with.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I dislike putting any fabric stuff on the conveyor because there is often some mystery liquid drips on there so I always leave clothes or stuffie dolls in the cart basket.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
They just expanded the self checkouts at my local Costco from 6 to 9, plus adding 6 more for the food court, so in typical Costco fashion, what they do with self checkout is very much about handling the needs of a given location it seems. I personally really like it as it moves so much faster than what they had before. People with a couple items seem to self select to the self checkout while those with full carts still hit the cashiers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My wife and I like to pay 50/50 and iirc the self checkout lanes don’t really support that

And at mine you have to call an employee over to get a hand scanner for big items. Home Depot just gives you your own hand scanner and it works great.

Big fan of the kiosks at the food court though

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I did the self checkout this morning, they had an employee guiding people to the registers and using the hand held to get large items before you even start on the small stuff. Worked pretty well, and he had an eye on everybody in case they needed help. Much better set up than grocery stores.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

priznat posted:

Anyone remember this ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-1F71Wa_zo

Basically that amazon store but as envisioned by ibm back in the early noughties.

Definitely downsides to that but sometimes I think that’d just be cool how drat convenient it is..

drat that's a sick rear end ad. And prophetic!

I haven't seen any self checkout lines at my Costcos yet. I'd be down for a 5 - 10 item checkout line

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xaris posted:

yeah i do that too but it's really only obvious to people whove had to work retail hell jobs' and lots of pmc/boomers who are just utterly clueless or don't believe its their job to do the cashiers job afterall they should cater to your every whim and command. so it ain't gunna happen

I absolutely hate that line of thinking. Like when people spill something on the floor or at a restaurant and just leave it there and say "People get paid to clean that up." Yeah, and they get paid to do more important poo poo if you weren't such a child.

When I finish everything at a restaurant I put everything away and stack up my plates/silverware so it's easy for them to pick it up. We should have a national program where everyone is conscripted to work a customer service job for 1 year.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 8, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just took a morning trip with the kids. My soundbar's been acting up (randomly dropping the rear and sub) and the helpful customer service rep was able to call up the transaction, print out a receipt for it, and let me know they just need the unit brought in for an exchange any time I needed.

Love the 'Co.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Aborted my trip to Costco today when I saw the lot was so packed people were parking across the street

My pizza slice will wait for me

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

When I finish everything at a restaurant I put everything away and stack up my plates/silverware so it's easy for them to pick it up.

When I was a server I absolutely hated it when people did this. 9 times out of 10 the person just created an unstable stack that made it more difficult for me to carry the dishes away. There's more to stacking dishes to get them back to the kitchen area than just putting them on top of each other.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just chuck all the dishes on the floor and yell “OPA!”

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I absolutely hate that line of thinking. Like when people spill something on the floor or at a restaurant and just leave it there and say "People get paid to clean that up." Yeah, and they get paid to do more important poo poo if you weren't such a child.

When I finish everything at a restaurant I put everything away and stack up my plates/silverware so it's easy for them to pick it up. We should have a national program where everyone is conscripted to work a customer service job for 1 year.

Customers trying to help is generally super loving annoying and causes more problems than it solves. Just be polite and try not to spill poo poo every where.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

priznat posted:

I just chuck all the dishes on the floor and yell “OPA!”

Gotta set them on fire first

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cyrano4747 posted:

When I was a server I absolutely hated it when people did this. 9 times out of 10 the person just created an unstable stack that made it more difficult for me to carry the dishes away. There's more to stacking dishes to get them back to the kitchen area than just putting them on top of each other.

I do it in a tier system. Largest plate on the bottom, smaller plate on top of that, silverware along the sides so that they don't fall off. I go for stability. I've never had a person grab it and restack it in front of me before. :shrug:

Gaius Marius posted:

Customers trying to help is generally super loving annoying and causes more problems than it solves. Just be polite and try not to spill poo poo every where.

Now I'm going to take my shirt off and dump ketchup all over me and roll around on the ground. Thanks for nothing rear end in a top hat!

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 8, 2020

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
My Costco has the sherpa throws marked down to $9.97 since it's out of season for that stuff. If your local Costco still has them it's a good reason to pick one up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I’m posting this from between two of them. Kinda want to sew them together to make the fuzziest sleeping bag. Got them both for :10bux: a year apart. Such great blankets for the money.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’m posting this from between two of them. Kinda want to sew them together to make the fuzziest sleeping bag. Got them both for :10bux: a year apart. Such great blankets for the money.

Get a third one, fold it in half with pillows inside and sew it to the bottom blanket. The ultimate nap sack.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

If you want an even softer bed, add Costco’s fleece sheets to the mix. They’re basically just really thin fleece blankets and it’s just the best. They’re also only around $30 for a queen set, significantly cheaper than the sateen sheets they also carry.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

canyoneer posted:

One of the Cos near me piloted a self scanner thing for a bit. You get a handheld scanner, and scan your item as you put it into your cart. At the end there's a special register you walk up to, they take your scanner and payment, count your items, and send you on your way.
It was pretty cool. My local supermarket does it too but it's a pain for things like produce that are sold by weight

Sam's Club has a thing where you scan and pay with your app. so you scan the barcodes on your phone as you put the stuff in your cart, and then pay through the app. you show your receipt on your phone on the way out. it's loving amazing, honestly. you essentially just put things in your cart and walk out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Gaius Marius posted:

Back when I cashiered at BJ's I hated when people did the "all barcodes up" thing trying to help. If it's <10 items it's fine, (and encouraged for heavy items or stuff on the bottom of the cart) but with too many little things it starts to get hard to keep track of what you scanned and what you didn't, which will just end up wasting time I have to double check the work. I can pack a cart faster and better than you, so just let me do it. We averaged over 100 transactions a day, so even new people found their groove pretty quick and you're usually better off not loving with people's grooves.

I was also the kind of turbo nerd who memorized UPCs/SKUs for common bottom of the cart stuff and could type the number faster than I could scan it so, maybe I wasn't representative of the average cashier.

(Bananas were 14526)

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Just go the ALDI route and put a bar code on every side.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Sam's Club has a thing where you scan and pay with your app. so you scan the barcodes on your phone as you put the stuff in your cart, and then pay through the app. you show your receipt on your phone on the way out. it's loving amazing, honestly. you essentially just put things in your cart and walk out.

Do they mark the screen with a sharpie and draw a little smiley on it?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Sock The Great posted:

Just go the ALDI route and put a bar code on every side.

Full bar code across all surfaces. Figure out what the gently caress you bought when you get home.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

Renegret posted:

Back when I cashiered at BJ's I hated when people did the "all barcodes up" thing trying to help. If it's <10 items it's fine, (and encouraged for heavy items or stuff on the bottom of the cart) but with too many little things it starts to get hard to keep track of what you scanned and what you didn't, which will just end up wasting time I have to double check the work. I can pack a cart faster and better than you, so just let me do it. We averaged over 100 transactions a day, so even new people found their groove pretty quick and you're usually better off not loving with people's grooves.

I was also the kind of turbo nerd who memorized UPCs/SKUs for common bottom of the cart stuff and could type the number faster than I could scan it so, maybe I wasn't representative of the average cashier.

(Bananas were 14526)

As a Costco cashier I second this. If you can comfortably grasp the item with one hand and it's not heavy, like laundry detergent, put it on the belt. Many times I have lost track of which of the 20+ items I had already scanned when my attention gets pulled away (item won't scan, tag from clothes are missing, barcodes facing the wrong way.) If it's on the other side of the scanner on the loading area, I can be absolutely sure it's been scanned. But yeah, if it's only like 6 or so items it's fine to leave them in there.

If I'm making even just one mistake every few days, I'm not going to be a cashier for very long.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Didn’t you post in the bwm thread that she was divorcing you

I feel like this is more than the usual self deprecation given that

Yeah lol.

If you can't laugh at yourself what's left?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

If you can't laugh at yourself what's left?

A 1/4 lb all beef hotdog with soda (WITH REFILL) for $1.50.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'm not sure what we're going to do with our Costco membership, though.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I finally started using the app as my membership card. How awesome is that thing?
Too bad you can’t use it at the gas station yet. At least at our Costco

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Chinatown posted:

Full bar code across all surfaces. Figure out what the gently caress you bought when you get home.

Scan it with the app to tell you what it is before you buy it

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Trastion posted:

Do they mark the screen with a sharpie and draw a little smiley on it?

I have been concerned with some of those old people checkers

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bigchops posted:

As a Costco cashier I second this. If you can comfortably grasp the item with one hand and it's not heavy, like laundry detergent, put it on the belt. Many times I have lost track of which of the 20+ items I had already scanned when my attention gets pulled away (item won't scan, tag from clothes are missing, barcodes facing the wrong way.) If it's on the other side of the scanner on the loading area, I can be absolutely sure it's been scanned. But yeah, if it's only like 6 or so items it's fine to leave them in there.

If I'm making even just one mistake every few days, I'm not going to be a cashier for very long.

Thanks for this perspective. And for going through the seminary for us

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm not sure what we're going to do with our Costco membership, though.

I’ve known one person whose crazy ex spent many billable hours in order to recover her share of the 2% executive welfare check

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

namlosh posted:

I finally started using the app as my membership card. How awesome is that thing?
Too bad you can’t use it at the gas station yet. At least at our Costco

Get the gas fob, it's so much easier. Tap it, grab the pump handle and hit the gas selector while you're doing it, and then by the time you have the nozzle in the car it's ready to just squeeze and fill.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

Scan it with the app to tell you what it is before you buy it

coward!

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Does y'alls Costco carry red onions?

Mine only has vidalia & yellow

luckily my local Aldi has them in bags, but still i'd rather get it all in 1 trip

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Landed in Honolulu today and passed their Costco on the way to my hotel on Waikiki. I may have to make a communion trip to pay my respects to the local gods.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Landed in Honolulu today and passed their Costco on the way to my hotel on Waikiki. I may have to make a communion trip to pay my respects to the local gods.

Outside of Korea it's the busiest I've ever seen. Still worth it to get more POG than you can possibly consume, and by far the cheapest gas on the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

I'd be really interested to see what local or asian sourced items they carry.