Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

So the viewership numbers I’m seeing is 13K, that seems really bad, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Presenting Nipples posted:

So the viewership numbers I’m seeing is 13K, that seems really bad, right?

I'm seeing 55k.

Which is also bad, but not as bad.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
There are two different streams, on both Overwatch League and PlayOverwatch channels, for some incomprehensible reason

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

surf rock posted:

I'm seeing 55k.

Which is also bad, but not as bad.

Ah yeah I’m on the playoverwatch stream. Combined they are still well below what I remember Twitch getting.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Gonna need a gif of that incredibly lame fistbump attempt

edit: I loving LOVE MCCREE PLAY THIS IS THE BEST META

second edit: Shock clutching that was loving INSANE

surf rock fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 10, 2020

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/sk1pow/status/1226619675905265665?s=21

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Presenting Nipples posted:

Ah yeah I’m on the playoverwatch stream. Combined they are still well below what I remember Twitch getting.

lowest I saw twitch go (so dead time mid season) was like ~70k, so about what this is getting now

also keep in mind that this is the dallas homestand and the home team is playing. last match had fewer viewers

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Architect is coming for Twilights job

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you mean violet? speaking of,

https://twitter.com/gatamchun/status/1172999568587247616

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

drat, good on Dallas for stealing one. That Junkrat strat worked beautifully.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Gotta cherish this delicious non-meta meta, when anything and everything can work

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Here at the end of the first weekend, I think these were the heroes not played:

Soldier 76
Ashe
Torbjorn
Bastion
Roadhog

Nice!

edit: thanks! vvv

surf rock fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 10, 2020

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Soldier was played today, im pretty sure

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Nihilarian posted:

Soldier was played today, im pretty sure

played played or 'i gotta run back to the point' played

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Blasmeister posted:

played played or 'i gotta run back to the point' played
someone started on him on... anubis defense? They got immediately steamrolled and switched off

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

surf rock posted:

Here at the end of the first weekend, I think these were the heroes not played:

Soldier 76
Ashe
Torbjorn
Bastion
Roadhog

Nice!

Pretty surprised to see no Ashe play. Guess Widow is still the pick for that role.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Has Ashe seen much play period at the pro level? Her gimmicks are kind of negated by organized play.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Looks like the china games are getting rescheduled. That'll give Diem more time to recover at least

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Has Ashe seen much play period at the pro level? Her gimmicks are kind of negated by organized play.

she was played last year sometimes but to limited success iirc

not much point to run ashe when widow exists and dva counters the things that set her apart. still more fun than mccree or widow to play imo but yea she's never had much playtime in owl

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Baybybay played her on Hanamura against NYXL and won fairly decisively but overall she’s not in a good place

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/overwatchleague/status/1226928822160744450?s=21

Play 5 is too overrated imo, as if Anamo wasn't there to pocket JJ's old grandma rear end through all that :colbert:

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I miss weeknight games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it's a bummer. gonna be less games this weekend too with the shanghai homestand cancelled

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Caught a commercial for the Fusion homstand and it feels weird seeing actual stuff on TV for it. Still excited to being going this weekend.

Still funny to me that Philly's in the South division of the Atlantic Conference.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Replay Viewer is updated (for reals now), here's some highlights synced to the broadcast audio

https://twitter.com/overwatchleague/status/1227367378175983616

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
The "gently caress off Wolf" drinking game didn't get very heavy last week because of his limited screentime, if he casts a match this week I might be in trouble

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

It looks like the first game the Spark will get to play is... March 7 against the Shock? Jesus Christ.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Goldenboy's gonna host the Philly homestand

https://twitter.com/goldenboyftw/status/1227617692615663617?s=21

Ignis fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 12, 2020

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Hangzhou_Spark/status/1227805872971083776?s=19
"... and professionalism impressed us..."
yeah i bet

Anyway hopefully the guy can shake off his legacy from the dragons and justice

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
i would like to note i said this like a month + ago

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/Outlaws/status/1228031081909227520

https://twitter.com/Jezi_Belle/status/1228033507487866882

jesus christ, Spree :zenpop:

e: Diem is feeling better and will join the Dragons next week

Ignis fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 13, 2020

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Tommu posted:

i would like to note i said this like a month + ago

Yes, you called it! That's super exciting. I'm just glad we tried something to improve our DPS lineup, now we'll see if it works out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

How much can the league fine them for that abomination

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Sources: YouTube’s Deal With Activision Blizzard Valued At $160M

quote:

YouTube’s media-rights deal with Activision Blizzard Esports is valued at around $160M USD over three years, according to people briefed on the terms of pact, part of the broader new strategic partnership between Google and the video game company. Google and Activision Blizzard announced the new partnership late last month just before the start of the Call of Duty League (CLD) season.

Sources said the deal comes in around $160M total for all of the esports properties involved — Call of Duty, Overwatch, and Hearthstone. The previous deal that Activision Blizzard had for just the Overwatch League (OWL) was reportedly valued at $90M total over two years. Activision Blizzard declined comment. The exact breakdown of how much each property contributes to the total payout from Google is not known, but sources said that the majority is towards OWL, with a lesser but still notable amount going toward CDL, while Hearthstone — which is not a Tier 1 esport — was described as essentially a free throw-in for YouTube.

Sources said that the deal includes significant incentive clauses for ad sales and viewership targets, so the money coming to the league and teams could go up markedly. These incentive clauses, described by sources as achievable, are partially why teams and other executives around the league have been happy with the new YouTube deal even though the base amount going to OWL is not an increase from the Twitch deal.

[...]

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Uh, they're not going to hit their viewership targets :lol:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

They're described as 'achievable' so either the viewership targets were real lowballs or they just mean they're hitting their ad sale incentives. Either way, that's a lot of money to front and I can see why Twitch didn't offer more.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm convinced its simply some SVPs at google feeling good at stealing something from amazon.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

hobbesmaster posted:

Uh, they're not going to hit their viewership targets :lol:

At least not until they figure out drops

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cod is huge on youtube and is prob the primary focus here. owl's secondary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I skipped most of the season 2. For both of boredom and being busy.

The new schedule fits me nicely, as I never would be able to watch anything live. Much less to catch up on during evenings.

I hope the bans keep the meta fresh. Terrible for players for sure, but watching a stale meta is horrible. Hopefully this season we see a lot of experimentation.

First week was mostly good, even if the skill differences seemed quite huge between some teams. Technical issues don't really matter when watching VOD, except the few times ads rolled during closing fights.

I'm hopeful and I want to believe esports can actually succeed