Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

don't do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Theres a ton of bullshit about Voidburger that's either gone through goon telephone so many times it became fiction, or was just made up entirely. Hell some people were calling her a pedophile because she said something nice to Shmorky before all the Shmorky stuff came out.

A good rule of thumb is if it sounds like something that would be said by an incel mad that a WOMAN has an opinion online, its made up. VB's good people

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Moon Slayer posted:

I seem to remember VoidBurger spreading some insane conspiracy theory that Lowtax was making it so that posters of color could only post in TGRS when this all went down, too.

I don't think she did that. She made some comments about Lowtax's daughter being on his streams with the implication that she was being made to do it, which was not true. She never said particularly much on the subject but got "shadowbanned" (ie banned from the console, so she doesn't get the big red X) for it.

PsychedelicEyeball on the other hand went completely nuts

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Heath posted:

I don't think she did that. She made some comments about Lowtax's daughter being on his streams with the implication that she was being made to do it, which was not true. She never said particularly much on the subject but got "shadowbanned" (ie banned from the console, so she doesn't get the big red X) for it.

PsychedelicEyeball on the other hand went completely nuts

she did do that on twitter, though. it was weird

edit: that was like a trillion years ago though, what more recent wave of banmes were there?

Mx. fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 11, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Miss posted:

she did do that on twitter, though. it was weird

I've been following her for years and this is the first I've heard of it.

Miss posted:

i want to hear more about what a trainwreck it was. because all I remember seeing was somebody on twitter (void?) saying they were thinking about making people pay for a monthly subscription to post LPs there

This also didnt happen. Theres a patreon but charging people to join was never on the table

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Yes it was? It was discussed on twitter? TGRS happened very soon after the forum was created, and I didn't expect the "pay us to post" would have gotten anywhere but it was definitely discussed as an option.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Miss posted:

Yes it was? It was discussed on twitter? TGRS happened very soon after the forum was created, and I didn't expect the "pay us to post" would have gotten anywhere but it was definitely discussed as an option.

If it was discussed on twitter than it should be trivial to search up the tweets :shrug: if you can find it I'll gladly admit I was wrong because I sure as hell never saw any of that despite following everyone involved

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Danaru posted:

If it was discussed on twitter than it should be trivial to search up the tweets :shrug: if you can find it I'll gladly admit I was wrong because I sure as hell never saw any of that despite following everyone involved

I mean, people can delete tweets. I don't know about the other thing, but I do remember the TGRS stuff.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I also remember the Voidburger stuff, she absolutely thought Lowtax was telling his daughter to say those things. Also saying he was a bad father for letting her insult Shrmorky too, and you know how Lowtax reacts to people making GBS threads on his parenting skills.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not particularly. FYAD getting deleted was a step in the right direction but all indications are to all progress getting undone so :shrug:

:confused:

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
It’s actually pretty funny to think about how many times that SA was just on the cusp of several profitable trends, but ruined it due to unmentionable reasons.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Moon Slayer posted:

WTF are you talking about?

One major point of controversy is that FYAD moderator “Jack Daniels” had his permaban reversed.

You can read about it here in QCS. Jeffrey’s post is the last in the thread.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Nobody cares about that, that's been talked about until the cows come home. There's nothing meaningfully changing w/r/t FYAD

bell jar fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 11, 2020

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

InediblePenguin posted:

https://twitter.com/3liza/status/1007163000669630464

i don't have archives so i can't locate the original post though. this looks like a paraphrase

hyperhazard posted:

I can't believe I have this bookmarked, but it's here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3204587&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8

The historic exchange:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:allears: I want to frame this and put it on my wall

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

We are not talking about the FYAD stuff come on.

Anyway, the thing I was thinking of was slightly more complicated than I remembered, Lowtax posted a thread about an email he got from someone offended by the Trump Lover newbie avatar and asked to deactivate her account. Here is the link to it

So, of course, people make fun of the reaction to it and after a few pages point out the LP thread she and her husband were doing about playing all the Mario Party games and he posts about it here making a big dramatic show about how hurt they were about it.

The last thing is neither of them even had the stupid trump avatar, they were just mad they had to see it.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Have we spoken about Kyoon yet?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I don't want to add to a potential FYAD derail, but all this talk of that and LP reminded me of something. There was this couple who did let's plays, and the wife also posted her art in Creative Convention or somewhere similar. FYAD found it and started roasting her in a thread, like they did, but for some reason the husband of the LP couple tried to join in on bullying his wife to score internet irony points. Even the FYADers were like "Dude, what the gently caress is wrong with you?"

Does anyone remember that? I'm probably getting some details wrong, but I definitely remember it being brought up in a past Sagas thread.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I don't know where it's at but the wife is Nessa, who at this point is a saga unto herself.

edit: for a while a bunch of posters in fyad actually had avatars drawn by nessa, they legitimately liked her more than her weird loser husband :lol:

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Nessa also cheated on her husband and posted stuff like "Oh woe is me I just HAD to cheat on my husband, my life is SO HARD" so she's not much better.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Nessa's posting is just a neverending series of awful decisions, it's cool

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Nessa also cheated on her husband and posted stuff like "Oh woe is me I just HAD to cheat on my husband, my life is SO HARD" so she's not much better.

I would have cheated on him too from the sound of it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm glad I remembered it correctly, but I dunno how I feel about you guys telling me it gets crazier from there. "Mocking my wife's passions so internet strangers will think I'm cool" still ranks up there in terms of most pathetic stories I've heard on this website.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Radiumchat got me to buy someone without an av one that says “HANDWICH DEVOURER”. Keep an eye out for it!

This was me, thanks! I barely post anymore so seeing this new much better redtext was amazing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crowetron posted:

I'm glad I remembered it correctly, but I dunno how I feel about you guys telling me it gets crazier from there. "Mocking my wife's passions so internet strangers will think I'm cool" still ranks up there in terms of most pathetic stories I've heard on this website.

I'm reminded of stories about late-stage helldump where people would throw their friends to the mob to keep the attention off them for a while.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moon Slayer posted:

I seem to remember VoidBurger spreading some insane conspiracy theory that Lowtax was making it so that posters of color could only post in TGRS when this all went down, too.

You call it a insane conspiracy theory, but lowtax literally did this with furry posters, had them wear an icon that identified them, then locked the forum and turned it into the gas chamber so you know. It's happened.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah but furries

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
furries are fine

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Furry hate has kinda aged poorly given how much of it in retrospect is pretty obviously thinly veiled hatred of LGBT+ people. And the furries have done a better job of ostracising the nazis than pretty much any other community.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Crocoswine posted:

I don't know where it's at but the wife is Nessa, who at this point is a saga unto herself.

edit: for a while a bunch of posters in fyad actually had avatars drawn by nessa, they legitimately liked her more than her weird loser husband :lol:

Were they the posters that started a thread about budgeting for a wedding, but it turned out a large portion of their income went to Star Wars memorabilia (and maybe food delivery)?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Thinly veiled queerphobia aside, I think in tyool 2020 we all have far bigger problems to deal with than people who spend thousands of dollars buying uncomfortable costumes and going to conventions.

E: this is re furries, Star Trek/Wars cosplayers are obnoxious

corgski fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 11, 2020

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

LadyPictureShow posted:

Were they the posters that started a thread about budgeting for a wedding, but it turned out a large portion of their income went to Star Wars memorabilia (and maybe food delivery)?

Blue Story was the Star Wars memorabilia person, who was regrettably already married; they were budgeting for a baby

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corgski posted:

Thinly veiled queerphobia aside, I think in tyool 2020 we all have far bigger problems to deal with than people who spend thousands of dollars buying uncomfortable costumes and going to conventions.

Furries also singlehandedly keep the amateur artists alive.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Furry hate has kinda aged poorly given how much of it in retrospect is pretty obviously thinly veiled hatred of LGBT+ people. And the furries have done a better job of ostracising the nazis than pretty much any other community.

I mean, that’s easy to say now that the worst of the community is gone, but in the 2000’s it wasn’t uncommon to see furries making drat near every conversation they took part of about furry stuff.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Crowetron posted:

I don't want to add to a potential FYAD derail, but all this talk of that and LP reminded me of something. There was this couple who did let's plays, and the wife also posted her art in Creative Convention or somewhere similar. FYAD found it and started roasting her in a thread, like they did, but for some reason the husband of the LP couple tried to join in on bullying his wife to score internet irony points. Even the FYADers were like "Dude, what the gently caress is wrong with you?"

Does anyone remember that? I'm probably getting some details wrong, but I definitely remember it being brought up in a past Sagas thread.

Oh god I remember this, it was :perfect:

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I mean, that’s easy to say now that the worst of the community is gone, but in the 2000’s it wasn’t uncommon to see furries making drat near every conversation they took part of about furry stuff.

I think there's a weird revisionism that goes on now that furries have chilled out immensely when everyone kind of forgets about how that uses to be a thing. Also it's funny that they get props for expelling nazis as that's a fairly recent thing, there was a long time where the nazifurs and the zoophiles and the pedos were just...there, and the community as a whole was remarkably protective of them. I don't mind furries as individuals but the fandom was incredibly openly toxic for a very long time, it's changed a ton since the 2000s. Hell, I only knew about furries to begin with because I had a couple try to groom me into rp-ing with them when I was 12, in a neopets forum of all places.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

small ghost posted:

I think there's a weird revisionism that goes on now that furries have chilled out immensely when everyone kind of forgets about how that uses to be a thing. Also it's funny that they get props for expelling nazis as that's a fairly recent thing, there was a long time where the nazifurs and the zoophiles and the pedos were just...there, and the community as a whole was remarkably protective of them. I don't mind furries as individuals but the fandom was incredibly openly toxic for a very long time, it's changed a ton since the 2000s. Hell, I only knew about furries to begin with because I had a couple try to groom me into rp-ing with them when I was 12, in a neopets forum of all places.

To the best of my knowledge all of those people are still there. I heard and saw strong evidence during my time in the community to suggest that the European fandom (or at least its largest conventions) are run by basically a clique of zoophiles. When one of them was outed in like 2014 there were a whole shitload of people whose main response was on the spectrum from ‘so?’ to ‘how dare you judge!’.

One of the things that accelerated my exit.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Camrath posted:

To the best of my knowledge all of those people are still there. I heard and saw strong evidence during my time in the community to suggest that the European fandom (or at least its largest conventions) are run by basically a clique of zoophiles. When one of them was outed in like 2014 there were a whole shitload of people whose main response was on the spectrum from ‘so?’ to ‘how dare you judge!’.

One of the things that accelerated my exit.

Hey! Were you the guy who did the threads about doing security for furry meetups? I enjoyed those.

Yeah, I was kinda tiptoeing around it but while maybe they have publicly disavowed the overt Nazis, the zoophiles and pedos are definitely still there and very active in the organised parts of the fandom (in Europe/the UK at least.) I mean, they pretty much run it, so of course they are; they cover for each other like crazy. There's a couple of kids (well, early 20s) at work who are low-key furries and I ended up furnishing them with a list of people to avoid, which is bizarre really because I've never been a furry, I just have a good memory for shitheads. It just concerned me that no one was filling these guys in - it's always been a bit of an issue that furries are so welcoming that they self police very poorly and are, on aggregate, reluctant to warn newcomers about the landmines.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

small ghost posted:

Hey! Were you the guy who did the threads about doing security for furry meetups? I enjoyed those.

Yeah, I was kinda tiptoeing around it but while maybe they have publicly disavowed the overt Nazis, the zoophiles and pedos are definitely still there and very active in the organised parts of the fandom (in Europe/the UK at least.) I mean, they pretty much run it, so of course they are; they cover for each other like crazy. There's a couple of kids (well, early 20s) at work who are low-key furries and I ended up furnishing them with a list of people to avoid, which is bizarre really because I've never been a furry, I just have a good memory for shitheads. It just concerned me that no one was filling these guys in - it's always been a bit of an issue that furries are so welcoming that they self police very poorly and are, on aggregate, reluctant to warn newcomers about the landmines.

Yeah- or at least, I used to be one of the folk who ran the huge londonfurs meets back in the day. Also did security at a fair few cons.

You’ve hit the nail on the head regarding the welcoming nature of the fandom- if I was a cynic I’d call what happens to most newbies ‘lovebombing’; it really is quite overwhelming and helps to foster the views you describe. I was active in the fandom for 15 years and only started to question that orthodoxy in the last two or three years of my time there (coincidentally around the time I ended up in a responsible position in it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
there are nazi furries, nazi sff writers, nazi warhammer guys, nazi comic book folk, nazi webcartoonists, nazi ball joint doll enthusiasts, nazi lgqbt+, nazi jews. every community has its fascist component, and "people pretending to be animals" is such an ancient kind of thing that excluding them as a subculture on the actions of their token contingent of sex freaks seems unfair and unwise, artistically speaking. dragonkin and bigcatkin in particular i have always found to be enthralling, and usually personally very decent, individuals. i am not a furry but i would live next door to one, maybe several, though not too many in one house