Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Control Chat: I find controller to be the better way to play, except when playing something that needs TPS aiming. Your mileage may vary, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I am excited to continue using boosts on bonus keys and then logging out for the day. God bless.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

I've been watching people play the demo and got to mess with it a bit at a friend's house today, and I have a couple of questions.

The first is that I like the idea of doing a Ranger/Techter, because I want to be able to hand out buffs and debuffs, then shoot things in the face. I know this isn't super optimal (combining Techter with Force and Ranger with Gunner is probably better), but will my buffs and debuffs actually have any oomph behind them, or am I just completely wasting my time? I liked my PSU Guntecher and would like to do something similar.

The second is that I noticed you could bring along NPC allies, usually. Some of them were grayed out, which apparently means "someone else in this instance is already using this one." Is there any reason to not bring along an NPC crew if you can, assuming you aren't rolling with actual people?

The precious seconds of your life it takes to summon them? Other than that no, always have a full party if you can because you get an exp, money and rare drop rate boost from having more people. NPCs count less than real people, but they're better than nothing. Their presence also kicks up enemy spawns a little bit, but don't expect them to actually do anything in the field. You might get some healing and buffs if they're a caster or Weak Bullet if they're a ranger, that's about it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
drat. After the Dark Falz EQ, I tried doing coast exploration. My game froze while loading area 3 (xbox ui still reaponsive) and I had to force close it. Now if I try to start any quest, the game sticks me in an infinite loading screen when I try to go to the campship. I even restarted the console and it still happens. I can load into the lobby just fine though.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Sadly I was only able to do two urgent quests which means unless they extend stuff I won't be getting a Dreamcast mag. Very sad stuff.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Sadly I was only able to do two urgent quests which means unless they extend stuff I won't be getting a Dreamcast mag. Very sad stuff.

Good news!

https://twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1226355157060866048

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Quna concert was good (apart from the hecklers and some odd phrasing to get the meaning of the songs to match the meter) Poor Hadred. :cry:

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Awesome! I started up in time for the last 3 Urgent Quests so I'm glad I can satisfy my dumb desire for Cool Stuff later tonight.

I just picked Hunter because I have no idea what I'm doing but it seems that shooting stuff is way better? Every Urgent Quest was just 10 people blasting everything before I could even walk up to it. I kind of went in with a Monster Hunter World mentality that all of the weapons are viable and good.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

The Postman posted:

Awesome! I started up in time for the last 3 Urgent Quests so I'm glad I can satisfy my dumb desire for Cool Stuff later tonight.

I just picked Hunter because I have no idea what I'm doing but it seems that shooting stuff is way better? Every Urgent Quest was just 10 people blasting everything before I could even walk up to it. I kind of went in with a Monster Hunter World mentality that all of the weapons are viable and good.
yeah all weapon types are good; except for gunblade being kinda left in the dust behind all of the other weapon types, and talis on force takes a bit of work and know-how to utilize otherwise you're better off sticking to rod. talis on techter and rifle on gunner are more just backup weapons for a few weird scenarios.

everybody just rolling through a map like a big ol' murdertrain is kind of a normal thing, especially on the lower difficulties.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I knew I wouldn’t hit three yesterday so I didn’t do any lol. Oh well, hopefully there will be a way to get DC mag in release. Or Kapu Kapu :pray:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

I knew I wouldn’t hit three yesterday so I didn’t do any lol. Oh well, hopefully there will be a way to get DC mag in release. Or Kapu Kapu :pray:

There's still 3 urgent quests today

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

What little I got to play of the beta was so fun that I decided I cant wait and downloaded the JP version/English patch.

Is this a terrible idea? I figure I’ll still end up hopping on the official eng version when it comes out because I have friends that wanna play but refuse to bother with the patch.

But for now gently caress them I wanna play :haw:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
The JP version has been playable with the English fan translation for years and will likely have more stuff in it than NA for the foreseeable future. Both are free so it's not like you'll lose something out by giving it a shot.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

I enjoyed the Japanese version but I ended up just missing the designated SA server and sort of felt like an intruder so I stopped. Probably the hardest barrier to entry is being able to read and enter Japanese text into a captcha for your account creation. I'm really hoping the open PC beta is soon, I will absolutely pay for poo poo in the game as long as it's a decent value.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Honestly I'm still kind of disappointed that the game seems to be dropping us in the middle of episode 3/4 or so in terms of content. In the beta there was a shop to turn in stuff for Elder weapons, literally right next to a shop to turn in stuff for Nox weapons. It feels weird that the game is going to launch in a state where half the content is basically useless, assuming they don't change it.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

orange juche posted:

Smoothbrains already making their existence known

Wellll it's not like there's a shortage of chuds on the JP servers. :fuckoff: I wound up on ship 1 cause my dead team claim they're gonna be on that server. Since only two ships were opened up for this test I'd suspect that they're going to let us all freely transfer over once if we are so inclined.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Honestly I'm still kind of disappointed that the game seems to be dropping us in the middle of episode 3/4 or so in terms of content. In the beta there was a shop to turn in stuff for Elder weapons, literally right next to a shop to turn in stuff for Nox weapons. It feels weird that the game is going to launch in a state where half the content is basically useless, assuming they don't change it.

A lot of elder's stuff is based on the NT versions of the weapons, and things like elder rifle got buffed to 12* weapons. So they seem to definitely be rebalancing things to make ep1 content more relevant.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Anyone have a link to a starter's guide for either the current JPN patch or what people have worked out the western release will use?

Is a tank a meaningful distinction in this game or is everyone responsible for keeping themselves alive? I remember hunter had some aggro related moves but never got far enough in content for that to really matter since most things were just dodgable.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Bloodplay it again posted:

drat. After the Dark Falz EQ, I tried doing coast exploration. My game froze while loading area 3 (xbox ui still reaponsive) and I had to force close it. Now if I try to start any quest, the game sticks me in an infinite loading screen when I try to go to the campship. I even restarted the console and it still happens. I can load into the lobby just fine though.

Quoting myself to say that it seems to have been a server issue. My session was still in progress and I had to wait for it to kill the room before I could make a new one.

Don't forget to do the beta survey for 500 AC at launch. That's enough for another mag and an AC scratch ticket.

Collection files still confuse the hell out of me. I picked up the file for the +30 rifle, which requires a red launcher, red gunblade, and red rifle. I picked up the launcher and rifle from random drops but they don't show up as complete. Is this a bug or a fundamental misunderstanding of the system?

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 10, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

A lot of elder's stuff is based on the NT versions of the weapons, and things like elder rifle got buffed to 12* weapons. So they seem to definitely be rebalancing things to make ep1 content more relevant.

You're not wrong, I'm just slightly worried the game's going to drop DoA basically. But from what I saw of the beta we don't have any of the non-darker content yet. So who knows.

Hyper Inferno posted:

Is a tank a meaningful distinction in this game or is everyone responsible for keeping themselves alive? I remember hunter had some aggro related moves but never got far enough in content for that to really matter since most things were just dodgable.

Some classes have aggro style moves but there isn't really a "Tank" or "healer" role in this game. You certainly can play a class that focus on keeping everyone buffed and healed, but you'd be expected to do damage between the heals too. High-end content generally has people trying to avoid getting hit if they can, at all. Hunter specializes mostly in being incredibly bulky and survivable, wheras forces can use techs to heal themselves and others - but other classes like rangers, gunners and fighters mostly just do lots of damage.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Don't forget to do the beta survey for 500 AC at launch. That's enough for another mag and an AC scratch ticket.

Also inventory. Never forget the inventory.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Blorknorg posted:

I enjoyed the Japanese version but I ended up just missing the designated SA server and sort of felt like an intruder so I stopped. Probably the hardest barrier to entry is being able to read and enter Japanese text into a captcha for your account creation. I'm really hoping the open PC beta is soon, I will absolutely pay for poo poo in the game as long as it's a decent value.

I actually paid for stuff a couple times in the Japanese version. :blush: There's a phone app for the Japanese version that you can link to your main account, and from that you can buy the premium currency without having to use a japanese credit card. You even get favorable conversion rates if the dollar (or whatever) is strong against the yen.

edit: also yeah same. I played off and on for years and liked it most of the time, but ultimately I just really wanted US servers

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 10, 2020

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Nuebot posted:

Some classes have aggro style moves but there isn't really a "Tank" or "healer" role in this game. You certainly can play a class that focus on keeping everyone buffed and healed, but you'd be expected to do damage between the heals too. High-end content generally has people trying to avoid getting hit if they can, at all. Hunter specializes mostly in being incredibly bulky and survivable, wheras forces can use techs to heal themselves and others - but other classes like rangers, gunners and fighters mostly just do lots of damage.

Sounds like it's still pretty similar to PSO1 in that regard then for endgame content. That's great!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hyper Inferno posted:

Sounds like it's still pretty similar to PSO1 in that regard then for endgame content. That's great!

It really is, except now you can't steal loot.

Also, last EM of the beta and I got an elder rifle drop. Feels good.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Hyper Inferno posted:

I'd say yes and no. It's similar in class roles, but in the past years especially, PSO2 endgame is more focused on raid bosses, multiparty areas and some solo quests than PSO1, which is more of a party dungeon crawler than PSO2 is. Episode 6 has been better with variety in quests so far than previous ones imo.

For anyone waiting for the NA release of pso2 who needs their pso1 nostalgia scratched, I recommend Ephinea for a reasonably active and non-profit PSO:BB private server I'll happily shill for. I should make a thread for it one of these days

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Do it when we have more than 20 members capacity in the guild. :v:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Phantasy Star Online 2 looks and feels a lot like someone broke Phantasy Star Universe down for parts, used those to upgrade Phantasy Star Online 1, and then modernized the whole thing.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I'm going to take that as an overall good thing.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

MechaCrash posted:

Phantasy Star Online 2 looks and feels a lot like someone broke Phantasy Star Universe down for parts, used those to upgrade Phantasy Star Online 1, and then modernized the whole thing.

There are rumors that that's exactly what happened.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's pretty clear, especially when you look at Portable 2/Infinity as the missing link/testbed between them.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Portable 2 was pretty fun. Lots of hackers though so I was always scared of guilt by association whenever I played online.

How viable is it to level every class on one character? You'd probably need multiple mags to switch between for ATP/ATA/MND or whatever their equivalent in this game is now.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

Portable 2 was pretty fun. Lots of hackers though so I was always scared of guilt by association whenever I played online.

How viable is it to level every class on one character? You'd probably need multiple mags to switch between for ATP/ATA/MND or whatever their equivalent in this game is now.

Yeah, you'd need to buy at least 3 extra mags (one for each attack stat+one for dex) if you wanted to play each class as best as possible on one character. Outside of that though there isn't really anything holding you back from doing it, other than the grind of getting them all up to max.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hyper Inferno posted:

The good news is that you were hard pressed to find them amongst all the "looking for girlfriend" lobbies.

My favourite thing though was that the online pass never actually worked, you could play online just fine without it and they never fixed that

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, you'd need to buy at least 3 extra mags (one for each attack stat+one for dex) if you wanted to play each class as best as possible on one character. Outside of that though there isn't really anything holding you back from doing it, other than the grind of getting them all up to max.

Extra Mags still cost real money, or can they be sold in player markets?

Don't feel bad, though. Between at least one more character slot, extra storage, probably extra mags after I gently caress my first one up and so many scratch-off tickets, I'm going to spend so much money on this game.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Soulfucker posted:

I'd say yes and no. It's similar in class roles, but in the past years especially, PSO2 endgame is more focused on raid bosses, multiparty areas and some solo quests than PSO1, which is more of a party dungeon crawler than PSO2 is. Episode 6 has been better with variety in quests so far than previous ones imo.

For anyone waiting for the NA release of pso2 who needs their pso1 nostalgia scratched, I recommend Ephinea for a reasonably active and non-profit PSO:BB private server I'll happily shill for. I should make a thread for it one of these days

is there actually an active goon crew on ephinea. I started playing on and off a few months ago to scratch the itch and ep2 hell weapon cheese gets old fast

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

The good news is that you were hard pressed to find them amongst all the "looking for girlfriend" lobbies.

My favourite thing though was that the online pass never actually worked, you could play online just fine without it and they never fixed that

ah, good times

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Mags can't be sold to other players and you can't even trade them between characters on your account.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Kevos Setzer posted:

Extra Mags still cost real money, or can they be sold in player markets?

Don't feel bad, though. Between at least one more character slot, extra storage, probably extra mags after I gently caress my first one up and so many scratch-off tickets, I'm going to spend so much money on this game.

Yeah, they most likely will still only be obtainable through real money

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
the FAQ on the NA website says we should have 3 free character slots; which is the same as the JP server. You typically do want to have all three character slots in use because whenever there's an update that adjusts Photon Arts or Class Skills, they always issue out a free all-tree reset passes for each of your characters, no matter what level they are.

I'd say you'd want to have a character that uses a 200 of one single atk/pwr stat if you feel particularly drawn to one of the first six classes: hunter or fighter for S-atk/MEL, Ranger or gunner for R-atk/RNG, or force for T-atk/TEC, with Techter being sort-of able to go with either a T-atk/TEC or S-atk/MEL mag early on. Thanks to Summoner having the "switch strike" and "switch shoot" skills, it can use any mag

If you're drawn to Braver or Bouncer, go all-in on DEX basically.

Once Hero, Phantom, and Etoile are available, a few more options are opened.

Hero and Etoile both take the highest atk/pwr stat on your mag and apply it to all three atk/pwr stats. While Hero cannot be used as a subclass, Etoile can; though so far it seems like the only classes that really want to consider Etoile sub are Hunter and Ranger, I'll say why later though. This does mean that if you have a T-atk/TEC mag or a R-atk/RNG mag, you can just go play Hu/Et and your mag would work perfectly fine; same for Ra/Et and S-atk/MEL and T-atk/TEC mags.

While Braver and Bouncer use skills that take a mag's DEX and apply it to both atk/pwr stats those classes can use, Phantom applies DEX to all three atk/pwr stats! Mag skills stack, so for Br/Ph and Bo/Ph, a 200 DEX mag gives them 400 atk/pwr for both of the stats they use! Also, Phantom's damage skills are pretty universally applicable to pretty much every class, so basically all of those classes can wind up using a dex mag too.

Once Etoile and Phantom are unlocked, you can use them as a subclass for nearly every class. Braver and Bouncer synergize too well with Phantom sub to really even consider Etoile sub; and Etoile's Damage Balancer skill nullifies most sources of healing outside of consumable items, so that can cause hiccups for Force, Techter, Summoner, and to some extent, Fighter. Meanwhile, There's a left-hand ring for Gunner that boosts damage while using a "Stance" skill, which has had the effect of making hunter or fighter sub just stronger enough that you'd wanna just stick to those still. Finally, like half of Force's skills are still on the Techter tree for some dumb reason, so while Fo/Ph might seem cool, you'd still would rather stick to Fo/Te; if you don't just jump over to playing rod-only Phantom anyway. oh right and Etoile sub has some weird incompatibilities with Technique and Pet damage too.

at least, this is most of the reasoning behind the recommendations I have in the thread OP

oh right I forgot this was supposed to be about mags. well, I forget the point I was making, but you can probably draw some sort of conclusion yourself

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hero can't be used AS a subclass, but can it still be used WITH a subclass?

My first/beta character is currently Br/Hu, going to be Br/Ph when available.

My 2nd, once able, will her Hero and whatever subclass it wants if possible.

My 3rd, I guess something that uses Techs? I like the concept of Phantom a lot, but same with Summoner and Etoile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Annath posted:

Hero can't be used AS a subclass, but can it still be used WITH a subclass?

My first/beta character is currently Br/Hu, going to be Br/Ph when available.

My 2nd, once able, will her Hero and whatever subclass it wants if possible.

My 3rd, I guess something that uses Techs? I like the concept of Phantom a lot, but same with Summoner and Etoile.

Hero cannot be used as a subclass, nor can it be used with one. Phantom and Etoile also cannot be used with a subclass, but they both can be used as one. All three of them are balanced around not needing a subclass for their full damage output, thankfully.