Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
foxkin are always suspect, but iirc that is acknowledged and embraced by the community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I mean, that’s easy to say now that the worst of the community is gone, but in the 2000’s it wasn’t uncommon to see furries making drat near every conversation they took part of about furry stuff.

I mean it's fine to have made holocaust jokes about them they were annoying guys

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
but please call out individual hives of nazism within your facet of society. that is a service to the world, these forums being the weird bazaar of ideas that they are. i really love that we have representatives of the furry people who periodically illuminate the strange heart of their internet community for the rest of us in the process of their fleeting furry-to-furry conversations. i never want that to change

hallelujah fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 11, 2020

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
does anyone have that russian dashcam video where a platoon of costumed people in full-body spongebob etc suits pile out of a van at a red light, drag another driver out and beat him up while the dashcam's drivers whoop and giggle russianly for joy

that's how i feel when the furries allow me to overhear their conversation about the difficult members of their society

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh i love this stupid place

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Crowetron posted:

I'm glad I remembered it correctly, but I dunno how I feel about you guys telling me it gets crazier from there. "Mocking my wife's passions so internet strangers will think I'm cool" still ranks up there in terms of most pathetic stories I've heard on this website.

Specifically, she was trying to make a Madoka-like magical girl webcomic with an art style like Shigenori Soejima (the main character artist on modern Persona games) but she was still in an early phase of getting basic art techniques down. At one point the webcomic-creator thread she was posting in was telling her to try drawing sketches of eggs to get a better understanding of shape, shadow, and shading. Meanwhile her husband was photoshopping her art with FYAD for some reason. The breaking point was when she discovered he was mocking a hand she drew by photoshopping it being stuck into an rear end, and this was hurtful because she modeled it on her own hand.

Someone in the old Sagas thread linked the point where everyone found out here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3531359&perpage=40&pagenumber=78#post427815415

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nessa will always be a good friend of mine and i wish her all the very best in life

e: omg nessa now that i'm reading it with fresh eyes, this is even more dreadful than i remembered and i'm so sorry it happened to you. mazel tov on leaving that idiot, i'm so happy he became an official fyad pariah. also i unironically liked your webcomic

hallelujah fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 11, 2020

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh hot drat 2014

that was almost six years ago

i was in my final year of undergrad, graphic design majoring in ceramics, and now i am on welfare and a scientific research specimen

ladythread kept me sane and alive. i mean that. i love you all

let's all sing

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hallelujah posted:

nessa will always be a good friend of mine and i wish her all the very best in life

She certainly deserves a lot better than her weird and controlling husband. Maybe a dashingly handsome therapist she can have platonic, healthy conversations with?

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nuns with Guns posted:

She certainly deserves a lot better than her weird and controlling husband. Maybe a dashingly handsome therapist she can have platonic, healthy conversations with?
she left him and fyad mocked him for it lol. no idea where she is now, but i hope she's still drawing

in closing,

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tashilicious posted:

I mean it's fine to have made holocaust jokes about them they were annoying guys

That’s not what I was saying at all, those jokes were insanely hosed up.

E:like, in the 2000’s it was a bunch of annoying people in weird costumes who would never shut up and always give you something to work with. Why you would resort to horrifying poo poo like holocaust jokes when they would endlessly give you material to work with is beyond me.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hallelujah posted:

she left him and fyad mocked him for it lol. no idea where she is now, but i hope she's still drawing

in closing,

I'm happy things worked out well for her in the end :unsmith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

E:like, in the 2000’s it was a bunch of annoying people in weird costumes who would never shut up and always give you something to work with. Why you would resort to horrifying poo poo like holocaust jokes when they would endlessly give you material to work with is beyond me.

Give people an easy target of a punching bag with no real power and they will rapidly show you their worst self and become far worse than anything they claim to denounce.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I do not miss the era of constant wall to wall holocaust jokes. I was raised by straight up, numbers on the arm holocaust survivors so it's never been this abstract concept of a terrible thing to me that I think it is to a lot of people. Talking about the negative effects of abstraction of the holocaust into an all purpose metaphor for Very Bad Things is definitely for a different thread though.

I guess the internet of the 2000s was very like a massive mock thread in a lot of ways, with all that entails. You give people room to be savage and a certain percentage will always use it to indulge their cruel urges.

small ghost fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 11, 2020

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You said "it was a fair reaction to them" after I literally described lowtax marking them with their own special marks, sending them to a ghetto they couldnt post out of, and then renaming the forum they were forced into the gas chamber and banning them all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tashilicious posted:

You said "it was a fair reaction to them" after I literally described lowtax marking them with their own special marks, sending them to a ghetto they couldnt post out of, and then renaming the forum they were forced into the gas chamber and banning them all.

I think you’re mixing up what I said with what someone else said.

E:I was responding to a post that said that most of the site/internet in general dislike of furries must have been because of their LGBTQ+ members, by pointing out that no, people didn’t like them because they were really annoying. At no point did I say it was fine to make Holocaust jokes about them.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 11, 2020

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think you’re mixing up what I said with what someone else said.

I mean, that’s easy to say now that the worst of the community is gone, but in the 2000’s it wasn’t uncommon to see furries making drat near every conversation they took part of about furry stuff.

this parsed to me as being a "it was understandable the amount of hate they got"

that amount of hate was always virulent and deeply deeply troubling.

yiff in hell furf- am i rite?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tashilicious posted:

this parsed to me as being a "it was understandable the amount of hate they got"

that amount of hate was always virulent and deeply deeply troubling.

yiff in hell furf- am i rite?

I was responding to this:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Furry hate has kinda aged poorly given how much of it in retrospect is pretty obviously thinly veiled hatred of LGBT+ people.

Which I felt wasn’t accurate at all and was pretty revisionist given the way a lot of them presented themselves online. Hell, I don’t even think a lot of them were all that public about being LGBT+ in the 2000’s, but trying to remember internet stuff from when I was a teenager isn’t the easiest thing in the world.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I disagree with even that because the scope and scale of it was, even at the time, pretty disproportionate. You think we are being revisionist with how we think it aged poorly, I think you are being revisionist with exactly how nasty it got. The line goes directly with how much hate they got to the poison gas attack at a furry con.

I also think you are being revisionist with how queer furry was. There was a lot of very open gay/trans/intersex furry stuff for ever, and it was always a target of the mocking and toxicity.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This is correct.

Tashilicious posted:

There was a lot of very open gay/trans/intersex furry stuff for ever, and it was always a target of the mocking and toxicity.

This is also correct.

Now let's please drop it and move on.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how dare >:U

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tashilicious posted:

how dare >:U

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I was responding to this:

Which I felt wasn’t accurate at all and was pretty revisionist given the way a lot of them presented themselves online. Hell, I don’t even think a lot of them were all that public about being LGBT+ in the 2000’s, but trying to remember internet stuff from when I was a teenager isn’t the easiest thing in the world.

A lot of it 100% definitely was rooted in queerphobia but it's confounded by the fact that, as you say, furry in the 2000s was very different to what it is now, and also by the fact the majority of furries aren't now and weren't then, lgbt+. It's a significantly higher proportion than the general public, for sure, but it's still a minority within the fandom, most of them are still cis and straight. It's never sat right with me as a Queer™ to treat furries as a de facto lgbt+ movement when so many of them are cishets.

Edit: poo poo, sorry pastry, I didn't see your post.

small ghost fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 11, 2020

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

how can i stay mad at this frood dude i cant

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I remember the Nessa+FYAD stuff. She was meant to be able to get to hand out a bunch of probations as a kind of payment for the avatars she drew, but FYAD IKs rotate randomly, so she never got to do it. I got one of her avatars and won the IK lottery later, so I asked if she'd still want to do the ones she was owed for fun, but, unsurprisingly, I guess, it turned out to not have been all that great to have weirdo Goons jumping at the chance to do owns on her then-fiance loooong ater she had forgiven him for re-posting the art, and she'd rather not have that become a thing again.

The webcomic stuff was funny. Like, the webcomic was a little bit hapless and amateurish, but for sure not the kind of messed up thing that others got made fun of; like how AxeManiac drew pics of women in various torture contraptions, being turned into human urinals and w/e, so when it turned out that the person re-posting a pretty mundane webcomic was her fiance being a petty moron; people turned on him, of course.

It's been years, though, and I think finding it funny that the webcomic was posted by her fiance is OK, but don't give her or him poo poo about stuff that old any longer imo.

hallelujah posted:

oh hot drat 2014

that was almost six years ago

i was in my final year of undergrad, graphic design majoring in ceramics, and now i am on welfare and a scientific research specimen

ladythread kept me sane. i mean that. i love you all

I got a ton of great book recommendations wayyyyy back from there! I had an absurd commute @ my first out of uni job and read a ton of Goon recommendations during the train ride. Spend around 8 hours on my daily commute for a couple of months and read a ton + posted an absurd amount on the forums. The forums are still neat, but I don't see ever being that active again and sort of largely phased out

I don't know who has what handle any longer, but shoutout to those thread regulars :) Also, lol @ remembering the dead roommate story and the lurker who popped in to share his tier-list of thread regulars based on their boob-size from random selfies and just general fanfic speculation on his part. Someone called him out for being a weirdo and his response was to try and placate the person doing the call-out by bumping her up on the boob tier-list. Like, dude, if you're gonna be a weird lurker doing a boob tier-list, at least preserve the integrity of your boob tier list; because you're not gonna come across well either way. That thread had more creeps and morons lurking it than any single other on the forums, I'd guess.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
boob tier list sounds like a solid username

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grandmother of Five posted:

Also, lol @ remembering the dead roommate story and the lurker who popped in to share his tier-list of thread regulars based on their boob-size from random selfies and just general fanfic speculation on his part. Someone called him out for being a weirdo and his response was to try and placate the person doing the call-out by bumping her up on the boob tier-list.
oh holy poo poo memories

the dead roommate saga was incredible to witness in real time. just one of those existentially profound moments

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:geno:: should i check on my roommate. he hasn't come out of his room in days
thread: yeah maybe

five minutes pass

:geno:: welp he's dead

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hallelujah posted:

:geno:: should i check on my roommate. he hasn't come out of his room in days
thread: yeah maybe

five minutes pass

:geno:: welp he's dead

Does anyone have a link to the thread? Was it an OD or some medical thing that just got him out of the blue?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Oh jesus the idea of someone's partner just constantly making GBS threads on them behind their back is really depressing, glad she left them

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I thought she was still with him??

Last I knew, she married him, he was still an enormous rear end in a top hat, she cheated with their mutual best friend, mutual best friend ended up not wanting a relationship, she went back to rear end in a top hat husband, they decided to fix it by having a baby, she conceived but miscarried

I hope she left since then because gently caress that guy.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol even when it's not an image it's always loss.jpg, isn't it?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

Not a super cool joke to make about a real actual and recent miscarriage.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

Nothing to lol about, rear end in a top hat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nessa obstinately never takes good advice, ever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Including that the older guy obviously trying to gently caress her was trying to gently caress her, then she hosed him and acted like there was no way she had agency in that outcome.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Now, this relationship was toxic to begin with and doomed to fail regardless, 

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

I'm going to disagree with the thread, this was good

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Huntersoninski posted:

Not a super cool joke to make about a real actual and recent miscarriage.

... I'm going to have to retract my prior :unsmith: and instead put forth a :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That guy who made the angry video about getting probed for a day came back, flailed around, got banned, and made another "I'm totally not mad" video. It's kind of amazing.