Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Some Youtube commenter posted:

If I close my eyes while listening to this I see pillar drills

I'm glad they've already got the giant rear end truck going because I don't know what I'll do in a world where there isn't new Binky content coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
One of their Q&As mentioned 2 other projects besides the truck.

Edit, this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBePeBMklko

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 11, 2020

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
They've got that crazy-rear end MG prototype as well. That should be fairly ridiculous once they get going on it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd forgotten about those other two. Still, it will be strange to see Binky as "done".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Binky is cool and is an amazing achievement already, but I'm all about The Escargot.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd forgotten about those other two. Still, it will be strange to see Binky as "done".

I uhhh.... actually like the truck build as much as Binky? It's kinda cool to see Richard being the one to do the work on camera and also show that well.... he also is bloody mad and also one a totally different level to anyone else especially with wiring.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I mean, obviously he's mad. He hangs out with Nick. I'm surprised they haven't bracketed themselves together at this point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I uhhh.... actually like the truck build as much as Binky? It's kinda cool to see Richard being the one to do the work on camera and also show that well.... he also is bloody mad and also one a totally different level to anyone else especially with wiring.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'd literally watch these guys build anything at this point.

Mustache Ride posted:

I mean, obviously he's mad. He hangs out with Nick. I'm surprised they haven't bracketed themselves together at this point.

Binky: Late Night :sax:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Uthor posted:

One of their Q&As mentioned 2 other projects besides the truck.

Edit, this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBePeBMklko

I had somehow missed this one, caught it a couple of nights ago. That MG is going to be proper mad.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. I'd literally watch these guys build anything at this point.

Just like I'd watch James May review laundry detergent, I'd watch the Bad Obsession guys build or fix anything.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

bolind posted:

Just like I'd watch James May review laundry detergent,

Isn't that like half his output on Drivetribe?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Binky is cool and is an amazing achievement already, but I'm all about The Escargot.

I really wish I could enjoy the Escargot but I'm a heavy truck mechanic and watching them wrench on it just feels like I'm at work.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
Smith and Sniff wander round a wet muddy field in Shropshire full of mostly old European rust which will be up for auction on the 20th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqRGqja-RGI

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Binky has the fenders flared to fit the Celica track width and a Lexus coupe I think? donated a driveshaft the perfect length. Otherwise no butchery of the drivetrain.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I haven't watched any roadkill, engine masters, or dirt every day since it went off YouTube. Has it still been good? Worth paying for?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

`Nemesis posted:

I haven't watched any roadkill, engine masters, or dirt every day since it went off YouTube. Has it still been good? Worth paying for?

I have been enjoying them, plus motortrend now gets you all of top gear.

The best reason though is that you get drat near every pay-walled Motorsports event included. LeMans, Dakar, WEC, BTCC, FIA World Rallycross, etc.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

`Nemesis posted:

Dirt Every Day, yes. Roadkill, 50/50. IMO Roadkill peaked a few seasons back, it's still worth watching but definitely not as consistently good as it used to be. Never really been a regular viewer of Engine Masters but I like it when there's an episode on something I'm interested in.

My favorite MTOD show right now is a newer one, "Faster with Finnegan". Mike Finnegan buys a cheap car or picks one of the Roadkill shitboxes, then is told to bring it somewhere that may be a racetrack, field, mud bog, or anywhere in between and meet the competition. Him and his buddies then get two days to do what they can to make their car better at whatever they're doing.

The first episode has Finnegan in an '85 Sonoma going up against Randy Pobst in a GT350. The Vettekart has also gone rallying against a prepped WRX driven by a drifter. That should give you an idea of the spirit of the show.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I just wish that MOTD isn't a loving arse to deal with in Australia

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I assume it’s as bad as NZ. Here Sky TV has the rights to Discovery, but we don’t even get the Motortrend replacement for Discovery Turbo, so paying for that is pointless. MTOD started out fine but then geoblocked us out of all the originals. gently caress ‘em now if they don’t want to take my money.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I haven't watched any Roadkill since they dropped onto their own service. A friend paid for MTOD and sent me the links to download but that's extra effort I can't be arsed with so unfortunately I've just not bothered. Pity because Roadkill was probably my favourite show of all and I enjoyed the camaraderie between Freiburger and Finnegan.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I haven't watched any Roadkill since they dropped onto their own service. A friend paid for MTOD and sent me the links to download but that's extra effort I can't be arsed with so unfortunately I've just not bothered. Pity because Roadkill was probably my favourite show of all and I enjoyed the camaraderie between Freiburger and Finnegan.

Now we have Finnegan's Garage which is like a even-lower-budget Roadkill that sometimes gets off cars and onto boats or garages or tools.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Prong Song posted:

Now we have Finnegan's Garage which is like a even-lower-budget Roadkill that sometimes gets off cars and onto boats or garages or tools.

Finnegan's garage was the saving grace of Roadkill going subscription, I'm sure his numbers aren't hurting due to this either!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Finnegan's garage was the saving grace of Roadkill going subscription, I'm sure his numbers aren't hurting due to this either!

I'm confused how the hell he keeps finding these unicorn giant-rear end hauler trucks, but I'm glad he does.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I stopped watching finnigans garage when he started doing entire shows shilling dumbass single use tools.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The most recent one was for a blasting cabinet that he got a big discount on. It wasn't shilling more than he needed one so he used his social media presence to get a discount.

But you should really watch the two most recent eps, serious roadkill vibes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

um excuse me posted:

But you should really watch the two most recent eps, serious roadkill vibes.
Agreed, all of his truck purchases have been basically taking the Roadkill approach to vehicles that shouldn't be as Roadkilly but still end up that way. Linking for the lazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RSUbNLIws8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1VbEXeFqss

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I do not regret my yearly MTOD sub at all. Tons of great content.

Roadkill maybe isn't as great as it's heights but its still hugely entertaining
Faster with Fin can be good, but needs work. Some of the challenges are ill-thought out, and sometimes his buddies get on my nerves. Cotton especially whenever he's in the passenger seat and hoots and hollers and flails like Don Vito.
Roadkill Garage may be my current favorite, just Freiburger and Dulcich farting around on his farm fixing up project cars
Hot Rod Garage is great for similar reasons except with Tony and Lucky who are both rad dudes and they have some super bonkers projects
Junkyard Gold is my sleeper hit, Steve Magnante has an encyclopedic knowledge of old iron and its just endlessly entertaining to me hearing him rattle off the history of the cars he finds.
Dirt Every Day doesn't keep my interest too much but I still watch it, seems like most episodes are just "buy X vehicle, slam giant axles/wheels/tires on it and go wheeling" which is fine but it gets old
Engine Masters, eh, can be interesting but I don't jump at those new releases

The new release schedule they started blows though. Instead of a rotating new episode of one of the above each Monday, they just release new episodes of the same show every week for 2-3 months before moving onto another. Which means it may be 6 months or more before you see episodes of your favorite show. It's idiotic.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

opengl128 posted:

The new release schedule they started blows though. Instead of a rotating new episode of one of the above each Monday, they just release new episodes of the same show every week for 2-3 months before moving onto another. Which means it may be 6 months or more before you see episodes of your favorite show. It's idiotic.
You mean like normal TV? I mean the Youtube world has sort of spoiled a lot of us in to expecting that the content never stops flowing, but the idea of X episodes aired weekly with months between seasons is not exactly unusual.

Personally what I find most annoying about MTOD is that there's no way to filter their new episode feed. I wish I could mark the shows I actually care about and just see the latest stuff from them without having to go hunting in each show individually. Also their Xbox One app has really poo poo UI.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

wolrah posted:

You mean like normal TV? I mean the Youtube world has sort of spoiled a lot of us in to expecting that the content never stops flowing, but the idea of X episodes aired weekly with months between seasons is not exactly unusual.

Personally what I find most annoying about MTOD is that there's no way to filter their new episode feed. I wish I could mark the shows I actually care about and just see the latest stuff from them without having to go hunting in each show individually. Also their Xbox One app has really poo poo UI.

Yeah I get that it's more TV like, but dangit I enjoyed a nice rotation of new shows.

And agreed 100% there need to be better ways to find/track shows. Since the schedule's been so wacky, I end up pulling up the new episode feed and just endlessly scrolling to see if any shows have new eps. A watchlist of some kind would be so nice.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
MTOD's apps are universally trash, but I still happily pay the $50/yr because no other auto journalists on the planet have the knowledge and fiscal irresponsibility to do stuff like build twin BBCs just to test the difference between rod ratio. Engine Masters in particular is one the coolest shows I've ever seen. It's technical enough to interest me, and I worked in the aftermarket industry as a drivetrain development and engine building guy for nearly a decade.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHUASOd5gF8

LET THERE BE NOISE

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P-F4kJEeSk&t=842s

Every wonder what a Billet 4 rotor with 15lbs of boost sounds like?
It sounds very very good.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 13, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I have to say I'm getting a bit tired of MCM recently. I think I now watched 3 ~20 minute episodes on the moon buggy and they... rebuild the carb and changed the oil, while Moog plugged merch twice and Cryobi at least once. This is like below-binky level progress, though at least it doesn't take 6 months between episodes.

Savington posted:

MTOD's apps are universally trash, but I still happily pay the $50/yr because no other auto journalists on the planet have the knowledge and fiscal irresponsibility to do stuff like build twin BBCs just to test the difference between rod ratio. Engine Masters in particular is one the coolest shows I've ever seen. It's technical enough to interest me, and I worked in the aftermarket industry as a drivetrain development and engine building guy for nearly a decade.
Oil/filter change is the most I've done to an engine but it's one of my favorites too. None of this untested "we're adding a cold air intake for a cool 10hp!" nonsense.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Boy I stopped watching MCM after Super Gramps and everything became entire car builds.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNzQWH601sw

Yes, it's an old shopping mall now stuffed full of classic cars, all for sale.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That was better than I expected it to be. A whole lot of "normal" cars, but you definitely see some gems in there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Don't worry, AvE has figured it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1OFMZDNKvU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

slidebite posted:

That was better than I expected it to be. A whole lot of "normal" cars, but you definitely see some gems in there.

I find normal everyday cars to be much more interesting, because they're less likely to have been kept for so long and maintained. People usually only bother for fancy sports/muscle/luxury cars.

As much as I've grown tired of Regular Car Reviews' gimmick, I love what they've done with the Ford Falcon they restored. It's just a well-restored regular car for regular people, not some glorified testosterone pleaser.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I find normal everyday cars to be much more interesting, because they're less likely to have been kept for so long and maintained.

Nothign catches my attention faster these days than a 40+ year old car in great condition.

Fake edit : Oh gently caress the original FWD Corollas were first in 1983 ........!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

KozmoNaut posted:

I find normal everyday cars to be much more interesting, because they're less likely to have been kept for so long and maintained. People usually only bother for fancy sports/muscle/luxury cars.
Oh I agree - I almost drove into the ditch when what looked like a brand new 84 Accord hatchback drove next to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

slidebite posted:

Oh I agree - I almost drove into the ditch when what looked like a brand new 84 Accord hatchback drove next to me.

That's because the Accord Aerodeck is one of the best looking cars ever made and dumb rare, especially in the US. It's a mix of an era Prelude and Civic and looks fantastic for it.