Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Having watched both The Legend of Korra and The Dragon Prince* kinda gives you a feeling each one is missing some things the other has. Makes it seem like TLA just happened to be a very good creative partnership and once some of the people involved were no longer on the overall quality of the show suffered.

* I'm aware of the accusations against Ehasz, you don't need to tell me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

parasite won best picture(which it loving deserved too) so no we never have to hear the dumb twitter poo poo about joker.

I mean it was still a good night for Joker, it won best soundtrack and best actor.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Korra was alright but had a lot of unfortunate wasted potential in parts of it, but if anything, internet people getting insanely insufferable about wanting everyone else to hate it probably made me even kinder to it in the long run.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 10, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Korra was alright but had a lot of unfortunate wasted potential in parts of it, but if anything, internet people getting insanely insufferable about wanting everyone else to hate it probably made me even kinder to it in the long run.

It's a really tough act to follow. My opinion of it really oscillated between 'Aw, the bending feats are way smaller scale than AtLA' and 'Wow, holy poo poo that's just a thing now?' Like, third episode just casually dropping that people shoot lightning as a job. Or the third season bringing in literal flight and lavabending. Also giving Korra actual PTSD after the third season.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I thought it started off a bit awkwardly with its first season, especially all the pro bending stuff, but it kept on getting better as the seasons went along. It was always going to be tough living up to the reputation of the original series, but going in a different direction paid off in the end.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grapplejack posted:

I mean it was still a good night for Joker, it won best soundtrack and best actor.

i am ok with that.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Honestly surprised by the score win, since I thought the smart money was on John Williams getting a legacy/farewell award for Rise of the Skywalker's core.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
RoS having the worst music in the trilogy with the worst music didn't help his chances.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only person who wanted to be there was Ian McDermid

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

even he was less fun than usual

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CelticPredator posted:

The only person who wanted to be there was Ian McDermid

Billy Dee Williams was clearly having a blast being Lando again in RoS.

Everyone else just looked like they were just done with the movie and wanting it over with the moment the title crawl ended.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
re Korra chat, the series was also plagued with a ton of really dumb decision making by Nickelodeon:

1. Midway through pre-production Nickelodeon execs learned the protagonist was going to be a girl, and halted production and almost canned the whole project because "only girls will watch shows about a girl" and the creators had to convince them to restart production.
2. The series was originally going to be a single, self-contained 12 episode series. Then halfway through production Nickelodeon upped it to two 12 episode seasons, which is why the ending of Book 1 feels rushed. Sometime after that Nickelodeon then upped the number of episodes again to 56.
3. Because of all of the above, the animation studio that normally handled Avatar and Korra was working on another project at the time S2 had to start production, so Pierrot was tapped to do the first six episodes until the original studio was free to finish the rest. It... shows. The first six episodes have some pretty darn awful animation and you can tell it limited how scenes could even be constructed.
4. The first 3-4 episodes of Season 3 leaked online prior to its premier which killed ratings for those episodes, and also apparently really pissed Nickelodeon execs off and soured them on the whole project.
5. Nickelodeon decided the falling ratings were due to a bad timeslot, and so kept constantly changing the broadcast time and day for new episodes... which caused ratings to tank even harder because nobody knew when the drat thing was on. This continued until-
6. Nick decided the show wasn't viable on TV anymore and from episode nine of Book 3 onward, the show was only available via online streaming. This was supposedly so that Nick could avoid having to release ratings numbers for it.

There are definitely aspects of the show that I think are poor that would still have been poor even in ideal conditions, but yeah executive meddling really screwed Korra over from start to finish.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Billy Dee Williams was clearly having a blast being Lando again in RoS.

Everyone else just looked like they were just done with the movie and wanting it over with the moment the title crawl ended.

yeah. it sucks. i liked parts of both TLJ and TFA and the travannow thing seemed to be a marriage of both movies concept. instead we got whatever the gently caress that was. i didnt hate it, it had some fun parts but it just felt like bad video game plot in the way they just rushed through everything and sidlined characters(rose and kylo) and etc.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Humorous bewilderment followed by absolutely nothing sums up my emotional journey with TROS.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I tapped out by the third line of the title crawl and said "oh so that's what kind of movie it's gonna be."

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Needledrop reviews Green Day's latest Father of All...

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ouch. When NOT GOOD isn't enough.

"Jack White and Josh Homme collaborating on the worst 2000s garage rock revival song ever" is perfect.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

I forgot to mention this when it came up, but he also named The Nostalgia Critic's The Wall as the worst album of last year.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1226318391285354497?s=20

I feel dirty for liking American Idiot now :(

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

loving lousy Swedish songwriters, god I hate them. gently caress Benny and Bjorn.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

re Korra chat, the series was also plagued with a ton of really dumb decision making by Nickelodeon:

There are definitely aspects of the show that I think are poor that would still have been poor even in ideal conditions, but yeah executive meddling really screwed Korra over from start to finish.

1 I can believe because I feel like that's been a curse for a lot of animated media for a while now and I have no idea if it's still like that or not.
3 is familiar and now I'm remembering how much of a quality jump that season had when they were able to get the normal company animating it.

Everything else is really a shame.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

loving lousy Swedish songwriters, god I hate them. gently caress Benny and Bjorn.

Green Day are really in no position to badmouth Max Martin when even their midlife crisis feels inauthentic

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

I'm trying to parse what they think they're saying based on reusing part of the American Idiot album art.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

real boomer energy on that

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Metro Boomin crying in his bed at not getting that Green Day money rn

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Kim Justice posted:

Metro Boomin crying in his bed at not getting that Green Day money rn

DJ Mustard's punches a wall and vows revenge for Billie Joe's betrayal. Mike Will Made It crumples the missive in his bejeweled hands and cries out, making the very welkin ring.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

Green Day are really in no position to badmouth Max Martin when even their midlife crisis feels inauthentic

i skipped through it as fast as i could and every single track on the album sounds like its written to be sampled directly into a car ad

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Been a while since I posted here.

About a month ago a vid of mine got algorithm'd and blew up. It attracted other folks to my stuff. Lots more subs, lots of constructive dialogue, nice all around.

However, another one of my videos has been getting a lot of attention now. It's gone from 4k to 60k+ views. It is maybe the most inoffensive content I've produced; essentially an examination of a movie wherein the thesis is "it's a nice, optimistic movie that surmises a kind of millenial-exclusive outlook on life".

This video, which I would have pegged as the most neutral and inoffensive one I've made, has been getting inundated with comments saying "movies like this are cancer", "I hate libtarded poo poo like this" etc. It honestly feels like a massive sucker punch and I think the reality of "no matter what you produce, it will make some people seethingly mad and hateful". My last video was at least semi-political, so I was ready for it, but seeing people crawl out the woodwork to express their rage at a two-year old video that just says "hey this is a cool movie" is getting to me, man. Any advice on powering through this? It is pretty moralising

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

No good answers here, and nor from other creators going by recent videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrMvyVEQO6M

I do want to say your Blazing Saddles vid was awesome, though, and I've linked to it a few times on other sites, to good response. Hopefully making stuff like that is worth the terrible youtube community

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Calico Heart posted:

About a month ago a vid of mine got algorithm'd and blew up. It attracted other folks to my stuff. Lots more subs, lots of constructive dialogue, nice all around.

However, another one of my videos has been getting a lot of attention now. It's gone from 4k to 60k+ views. It is maybe the most inoffensive content I've produced; essentially an examination of a movie wherein the thesis is "it's a nice, optimistic movie that surmises a kind of millenial-exclusive outlook on life".

This video, which I would have pegged as the most neutral and inoffensive one I've made, has been getting inundated with comments saying "movies like this are cancer", "I hate libtarded poo poo like this" etc. It honestly feels like a massive sucker punch and I think the reality of "no matter what you produce, it will make some people seethingly mad and hateful". My last video was at least semi-political, so I was ready for it, but seeing people crawl out the woodwork to express their rage at a two-year old video that just says "hey this is a cool movie" is getting to me, man. Any advice on powering through this? It is pretty moralising

That's rough but yeah there's no telling what will attract a lot of abuse from the chuds. I remember following a (at the time) punk channel that had less than 300 subs and few uploads that reached over a thousand views, yet every upload had many downvotes and racist nonsense for comments sections.

The new yt creator studio is awful but it does have a section that lets you ban users and comments with certain words and phrases from being published. It may also be worth hiding comments and then removing the more disgusting ones. Now I just delete them when I see them.

poo poo pee pee
Feb 10, 2020

Calico Heart posted:

Literally every negative comment I get on YouTube is 'Look at the nose, this guy is definitely a Jew', so yeah basically all negative feedback you'll ever get is like this or worse.

The YouTube shadowban feature (Hide all comments from this user) is excellent, use it very dilligently.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Don’t bigger channels like Lindsay’s just turn iff comments entirely? Or do the YouTube Maths demand you let chuds make mountains out of your molehills?

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Don’t bigger channels like Lindsay’s just turn iff comments entirely? Or do the YouTube Maths demand you let chuds make mountains out of your molehills?

I think one of Lindsay’s business partners has the duty of moderating the comment section.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pants Donkey posted:

You can turn comments off, but Youtube uses them as part of their "engagement" metric so you suffer for doing so.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Mokinokaro posted:

You can turn comments off, but Youtube uses them as part of their "engagement" metric so you suffer for doing so.

Luckily YouTube also considers your suffering a valid metric.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

I can see why that particular video would get those kinds of reactions. It starts by calling out a bunch of popular movies for, essentially, being outdated and problematic, which is exactly the sort of thing that sets off easily-angered fanboys. Chances are, most of them didn’t even watch past the one minute mark before racing to the comments section to deliver their sick burns.

Which is not to say I liked the video personally; I thought it was overly schmaltzy and idealistic, and I disagree with its anti-nostalgia message, but whatever. Unlike the guy in the movie, in the real world anyone trying to engage in something creative will always have to put up with dickheads wanting to tear them down. The best way to deal with them is to just act like they don’t exist, because anyone so pathetic as to sling around insults like that is not worth even a moment of your attention.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Calico Heart posted:

Any advice on powering through this? It is pretty moralising

Don't read comments at all, if possible, and definitely don't read comments on any video older than, say, 72 hours.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Calico Heart posted:

Sorry to hear that. But honestly, youtube comments are trash. You'd be better off ignoring them if not just straight up turning them off imo.

BTW what video was it? Can I have a link? =)

Edit: Ninjad by Dan lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I always figured after a certain level of success your comments are just going to be covered in turd-flinging howler monkeys regardless of how good or bad any video is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Calico Heart posted:

OK, at first I wanted to make a dumb joke about moralising being good sometimes, but I guess you can live without me correcting your spelling. :v:

After thinking about this, apart from just not allowing comments on that video, I can only recommend answering to the dumbest and most hateful assholes that they're wrong because I , Libluini, agree with you on all accounts 100%. Hopefully this will make them hopping mad at me instead and they invade my channel, leaving you alone.

If they send you death threats, just tell them that I am a serial killer and for every death threat received, I will get one step closer to their loved ones. Talk freely about me brandishing huge knifes and/or guns, depending on what makes them madder.

As I see it, at worst your channel only has half the assholes it had before, at best they all migrate to my stupid dumbass channel and leave you alone.