Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Galler posted:

Just put the two pieces you're trying to weld on each terminal and then touch them together

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Galler posted:

Just accidently short the terminals with a wrench or screwdriver like a normal person

Yeah, one of those do it once accidently and never again moments.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Did that with the batteries in one of our farm tractors once in a dark shop, nearly poo poo my pants, and immediately wished I could see again.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

you might want to add a little bit of resistance so you have some current limiting

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

taqueso posted:

you might want to add a little bit of resistance so you have some current limiting

Everything has at least a little resistance.

You mean "more than a little".

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Colostomy Bag posted:

You say that but; Time makes fools of us all, or at least me. The battery is just such a nice convenient flat place to drop tools on.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I did that once in auto shop class in highschool circa 1997 or 98. Never since......

In other words, I'm due for another.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip5uoHDCAjQ

Thinking of you, thread

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

This guy's great. I've watched a lot of his older stuff. Skilled welder without taking himself too seriously like so many Youtube clowns.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

One Weird Trick Welding Companies Hate!

Weld stuff with your car's battery!

J/K, it doesn't work very well.

3/32 6011 Lincoln rod
#6 Harbor Freight jumper cables/stinger/ground clamp assy. Approx. 8' long.
Duralast GOLD brand battery in a 2002 Ford Ranger.
Some lovely steel I have lying around.

WELD

Ok, it doesn't work worth a poo poo, can't draw a stable arc, all that smoke is from the flux burning up. I thought about surface prep and whatnot, but figured if you were trying this you probably wouldn't have a angle grinder or whatnot anyways.

Here's a better view, when I decided PPE requirements were lower.

https://youtu.be/a2WYZk1Xw0M

Here's some chickens helping me put stuff away.

Anyways, I moved on to trying to use the 300-odd volt Leaf battery, once I got past the electric shock radiating up my arms through the damp leather gloves I had a much different result.

E: oh yeah, also managed to touch that glowing hot electrode with a bare thumb, oops.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
You definitely get points for trying.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The Leaf video makes it

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yeah, you need voltage. At least a pair of batteries, if not 3.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, looks like most welders put out about 60V open circuit, then drop down to 20-30 once the arc's established.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I want a basic set of tools for going offroading in my car, but the ratchet + socket set I have for my garage is no longer made (Armstrong Industrial, which sucks because they've held up really well to all sorts of abuse). The company that bought Armstrong now recommends gearwrench or crescent instead, but are there are any other options I should be looking at for socket set + ratchet + breaker bar? Don't want to pay something like SnapOn prices for a car set that may get abused.

I'm sure gearwrench will be good but pricey, but I don't know much about Crescent.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 14, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Probably any major store brand would be sufficient for what you need. Most of them come with lifetime warranties. Though it would suck breaking a ratchet in the middle of nowhere, whilst trying to get your rear end out of a jam, regardless of warranty.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's the only reason I didn't just buy a harbor freight set and be done with it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You might be better off just buying the tools you're likely to actually need on your vehicle piecemeal, especially if you're limited on storage space - no need to carry SAE sockets if your car is all metric.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Years ago I bought the Kirkland mechanics toolset in store when it was on sale for $80 (normally $100) and it's lived in my Jeep ever since. I don't think you could put together a better set for cheaper at HF, and the snap-in blowmold case is great to keep stuff from rattling around off-road (and packs tightly). I've used it for all sorts of stuff including impact guns and it's held up fine. Looking at their site it appears it's a Dewalt set now.

https://www.costco.com/dewalt-173-piece-polished-chrome-tool-set.product.100507719.html

I like that it has sae + metric because my off-road friends group is a mix of Jeep, Toyota and Chevy. You'll have to fill it in with a HF breaker bar and whatever rig-specific stuff you may want but it's a great starting point.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm sure gearwrench will be good but pricey, but I don't know much about Crescent.

I've got a crescent set in my car and it's OK. It's at least a bit of a step up from the harbor freight set I had before it but I definitely prefer using my gear wrench tools. Crescent's quality control might be a bit lacking considering I had to shave down the 1/2 inch square drive on the ratchet as it was slightly too big for a 1/2 inch socket.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MomJeans420 posted:

I want a basic set of tools for going offroading in my car, but the ratchet + socket set I have for my garage is no longer made (Armstrong Industrial, which sucks because they've held up really well to all sorts of abuse). The company that bought Armstrong now recommends gearwrench or crescent instead, but are there are any other options I should be looking at for socket set + ratchet + breaker bar? Don't want to pay something like SnapOn prices for a car set that may get abused.

I have Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches and like them (mostly) fine. I only wish the open end was a tad thinner as I've had access issues to jam nuts on hydraulic fittings.

I also like their hex sockets, but I had one break (and the set at work has been rounded bad enough to be useless). I've also broken hex sockets from Capri and HF. Basically, if you need hex/allen drivers, buy two.

I have a breaker bar from HF and another from Farm & Fleet. Both have held up just fine.

If you're looking for something that you will have to rely on, I'd consider doubling up. If you need a handful of common size sockets, get a Gearwrench set and a backup of the important ones from HF. Get sockets and wrenches. Hell, just pack a crescent wrench in case. You'll have a ratchet and a breaker bar just in case, but maybe throw in a second ratchet? You probable have a jack, so you can always turn a rather into a breaker bar if you need. Always carry two (or three) ways of getting socket head screws out (I seriously break those all the time).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
There's a logical flaw in buying a cheap set of tools for use out in the boonies. What makes sense to me is getting simple, strong tools that are your most used and multi tools that can fill in the gaps for unexpected failures.

Which I think is what you're after, I'm just adding it for those in the back.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, I agree with what StormDrain says. I offroad fairly seriously (desert races, trips to places where AAA won't get with 100miles, etc.) and my kit is a mixture, but there is a solid argument for SOME things to be really good: I have seen a lot of people break an HF / Kobalt / Craftsman ratchet, for example, and every single time they give me the side eye when I hand them one of the four Snap-On ratchets I carry. Like, yeah, I spent more for these, but mine don't loving break.

That's not to say that everything has to be, but I'd definitely be more discriminating then "not Harbor Freight". If you're in the middle of nowhere, can't reach anybody, and no one else is around, you need to have the tools to get poo poo done.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

There's a Milwaukee 3/8" set at Home Depot for $99 that I'm eyeing.

This one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-3-8-in-Drive-Metric-Ratchet-and-Socket-Mechanics-Tool-Set-32-Piece-48-22-9508/305144366

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^seems expensive

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in-3-8-in-and-1-2-in-Drive-Socket-Set-200-Piece-H200MSS/207186810

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
A big locking crescent wrench like this Stanley is one of the most used and handy emergency / roadside kit items I pack: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ It can even work as a janky vice-grip in a pinch. I like to pair it with a thin jaw crescent wrench (like this: https://www.amazon.com/Proferred-T08004-Plumbing-Adjustable-Phosphate/dp/B016OK8P5G) so I've got something to hold a nut while I crank out the bolt. For 90% of the stuff on my car I just need those two wrenches instead of a full set.

The HF extendable 3/8 + 1/4" ratchet is an amazing multitasker too. Fully extended it puts out a lot more torque than most ratchets. I rarely need a breaker bar when using that thing.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 15, 2020

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

The HF extendable 3/8 + 1/4" ratchet is an amazing multitasker too. Fully extended it puts out a lot more torque than most ratchets. I rarely need a breaker bar when using that thing.

I've had one of those for years, used and abused. Love it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

A big locking crescent wrench like this Stanley is one of the most used and handy emergency / roadside kit items I pack: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ It can even work as a janky vice-grip in a pinch.

Hell yeah, plus one of these are absolutely invaluable in an emergency.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

What about impact sockets and a god cordless impact wrench. You could get up with a hell of a lot for $200-300. It sounds like a lot, but I certainly like my 1/2” Milwaukee Mid Torque and Astro Pneumatic slim sockets.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

HF's Pittsburgh Pro line is a great value, and their extending 1/2" ratchet is an awesome compromise between a "please come loose" form factor and "you WILL come loose" leverage, I've hopped up and down on mine with my big 250 lb rear end trying to break loose rusted on fasteners in the NE and it's held up fine. Tolerences and durability on all the sockets I've found acceptable, better than HD/Lowes/Part store house brands.

Would I trade the Proto and Snap-on poo poo I use at work for them? No, but they're fine for the hobbiest.

If you want to compromise, buy the long 1/2" Snap-on ratchet to keep with your kit, that's my favorite ratchet in the world.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Elviscat posted:

If you want to compromise, buy the long 1/2" Snap-on ratchet to keep with your kit, that's my favorite ratchet in the world.
Same. That poo poo is bonkers.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I have snapped several bolts in non-torque critical applications because I have a tendency to grab the big snappy 1/2" and an adapter instead of the garbo big-tooth SK 3/8ths ratchets, because all 5 of our 3/8ths Proto ratchets grew fuckin' legs and walked out of our toolbox.

I have also spent hours with a large socket on the Snap-on just spinning it around and around, not like at a time, but collectively.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've got one of the HF extending 1/2 ratchets and when I'm reefing on it I just avoid the last detent. I've had it for about 5 years and it's no worse for wear. I also have tons of HF impact sockets. While they might not be as nice as other stuff, they've also held up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wrar posted:

I've got one of the HF extending 1/2 ratchets and when I'm reefing on it I just avoid the last detent. I've had it for about 5 years and it's no worse for wear. I also have tons of HF impact sockets. While they might not be as nice as other stuff, they've also held up.

I have the same stuff. Way back when HF changed the packaging and clearanced out the impacts so I have like three sets of metric and two sae. Which has worked out because I kept losing impacts for the longest time.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Thanks for all the tool recommendations, I think what I'll do for my car for offroading is get one decent set then a backup set from harbor freight of the essentials. The extra set from HF is practically free, and if I manage to break two of the same size sockets when I'm out, I was never getting back without a tow anyway.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Are there suggested calipers better than $15 Amazon specials and cheaper than Mitutoyo? I'd prefer digital.

I'd like to stay around $50.

Edit: anyone know who makes these?
https://www.mcmaster.com/#4996A16

I could probably get my mom to buy them for me with her discount.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 17, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd like to find out as well, I hate the $15 calipers I got from amazon.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uthor posted:

Are there suggested calipers better than $15 Amazon specials and cheaper than Mitutoyo? I'd prefer digital.

I'd like to stay around $50.

Edit: anyone know who makes these?
https://www.mcmaster.com/#4996A16

I could probably get my mom to buy them for me with her discount.

iGaging is popular with 3D printing nerds. I have their $40 6” absolute calipers and they’ve held up longer than cheap ones that usually start developing “jumps” across the scale.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The trick with the cheap calipers is to never store them with the battery plugged in. Pop it out after every use, that way it will never be drained when you need them next. For some drat reason (lazy mcu sleep management likely) every single cheap caliper will drain its battery in a matter of days just sitting on the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

The trick with the cheap calipers is to never store them with the battery plugged in. Pop it out after every use, that way it will never be drained when you need them next. For some drat reason (lazy mcu sleep management likely) every single cheap caliper will drain its battery in a matter of days just sitting on the shelf.

My Pittsburgh calipers have had the same battery since I bought them :thinking:

Maybe I just got lucky?