Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Wife is probably on board for serious winter tires. Its snowing every two or four days this year, and Ive a kindergartener to take and pick up from school. Ive got Pirelli M+S on it now (Saab 9-5 wagon), and Ive gotten stuck at curb twice, last year I stuck in my brother in laws driveway.
Do studs last long enough to kind of economical say, 3 or 4, 4 month seasons? Or best just to get studdable winter tires?
Tire rack recommend blizzak ws90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

some_admin posted:

Wife is probably on board for serious winter tires. Its snowing every two or four days this year, and Ive a kindergartener to take and pick up from school. Ive got Pirelli M+S on it now (Saab 9-5 wagon), and Ive gotten stuck at curb twice, last year I stuck in my brother in laws driveway.
Do studs last long enough to kind of economical say, 3 or 4, 4 month seasons? Or best just to get studdable winter tires?

Don't even worry about studs. There's so much difference between what you have now and dedicated snow tires that you'll be amazed. As far as make/model recommendations? It doesn't matter. The worst snow tire is so much better than the best all season tire that anything beyond price comparison is hand-wringing, imo.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I thought some brands had full sticky compound and some have half sticky half normal all-season rubber? Seems worthwhile to check that out at least.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

some_admin posted:

How long they last is dependent on how far you drive obviously. Stud retention is also a lot worse in cheap tires. Studless tires usually have more siping and softer compound that also affects wear rates. 3-4 seasons on reasonable driving distances should be achievable. Studded tires are also obviously noisier. Adding studs to existing tires is a bad idea in my opinion.

I would recommend:
Continental Viking contact 7 for studless snow and ice performance. Dont expect much more than 30-40k Kms though.
Continental IceContact 3 FlexStud for max studded snow and ice performance.
Michelin X-Ice north 4 for a still very good and possibly longer lasting studded tire.

The WS90 is ok. I don't have much experience with it myself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
don't get studs

I have WS80s i think (poo poo, maybe they're WS90s) and they're perfectly good in the snow, not too noisy on the highway, and decent in the rain. they do not corner all that well on my golf alltrack but keep in mind my ref point for cornering is an M5 with PS4S.

edit: the X-Ice is a better tire if it snows more but i live in little bitch winter SEMI so it is damp and rainy just as much as it snows even though everyone here thinks they're all hard about winter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

taqueso posted:

I thought some brands had full sticky compound and some have half sticky half normal all-season rubber? Seems worthwhile to check that out at least.

compromises are lovely

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I should have been more specific. Check out which are dual compound so you can avoid them. Blizzaks were what I was thinking of but only from a mention somewhere on this forum.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

some_admin posted:

I ran the WS80's on my GTI. They wear really fast. They handled the snow pretty well.

I haven't run them through anything deep yet, but I'm already a huge fan of the Nokian Hakka R3's. Drove my M3 up to Eldora today and there was absolutely zero drama. The roads were fairly clear most of the way up but the last bit was hard packed snow on a pretty hefty grade and like I said, absolutely zero drama.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
My lifes goal is to never live anywhere winter tires are a consideration.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

snow fuckin rules

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It's the cold that's the problem.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

snow fuckin rules

Right

taqueso posted:

It's the cold that's the problem.

:wrong:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

simplefish posted:

If I have tyres that have the direction marked on the outside, to do a rotation does the rubber have to be swapped around rims? Or is it just front/back swap on the same side?

You can swap the tires on the rim as well if you like, but it's really only worth it if you've abused the outside tread racing it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meatpimp posted:

Alright, tire chat for a boring commuter SUV.

My wife has a 2015 Acura RDX with 33k miles. Original Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. They had never been rotated when we got it at 30k miles. The rears had decent tread, the fronts were borderline, so I swapped back-to-front. (No discussion about rear end breaking loose early, pls).

Well, I was driving on Saturday and there was ice and the thing was terrible. 5 year old tires with 33k miles is just not viable on ice. I've known that, but the Winter in Ohio has been especially mild, so I haven't really thought about it much.

Here's my debate: We're in a part of Ohio that gets snow, but nothing like what NE Ohio sees. Having lived in NE Ohio for far too long, I got used to having 2 sets of tires. For her commute, I think it's okay to run a good set of all seasons where we live now.

BUT, I want something that does have some reasonable grip in snow.

Tire size is 235/60-18. Costco has a sale on Michelins where I can get some Latitude HPs for $940-ish out the door. That's a lot of scratch for 4 rubber rings.

I like the specs and reviews of the Michelin Defender LTX for a few bucks more per tire.

At the other end of the spectrum is something like Yokohama Geolanders, but they end up north of $700, so is it worth saving a couple bones for Yokos versus Michelins? What do I do? I'm so clutching my pearls in concern.

Note: I'm sticking to name brand tires for her car. I'm also looking at rubber for the Passat, but there I'm looking as cheap as I can... I'll end up with a full set for that car at the price of one of the tires for the RDX. :rolleyes:

Conclusion: Went with a set of BFG Advantage T/A Sport LT from Costco for $707 out the door. Super good reviews from Tire Rack https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Advantage+T%2FA+Sport+LT&partnum=36VR8ATASLT&i1_Qty=4

Hopefully they do well.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

One of my tires lost pressure and shredded on my Express a while back. No big I said to myself, Ill just throw on the spare. I look under the van - nothing. No spare, even the carrier is gone. I briefly wonder if I ever had one, and under what circumstances it departed...

Anyway, I needed a new tire ASAP, and they were all mismatched and old and past their sell-by. So I might as well get a complete set. And an extra so I actually have a spare. So I cruised over to Les Schwab with the wheel that had only tire remnants clinging to it.

They swapped that tire out and I ordered some sweet cheap alloys with a full set of new tires. The brand is Sailun, which I had never heard of. Since its a crappy van I wasnt feeling particular.

They seem fine, they feel squishier than the old ones but thats probably just because they have some tread. They are also a bit louder. Not reasonable to compare their grip to 10+ year old truck tires, and I never push the thing anywhere near the limits anyway, and I havent driven it in the rain yet.

Verdict: they were cheap.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Big Taint posted:

I got a set of Lionhart for my old Toyota Avalon. They were $46 per in a 215/50-17 size. They are absolutely fine. No noise, no pulling, no vibrations, good grip in dry and wet... bottom-rung tires have come a long way.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Big Taint posted:

One of my tires lost pressure and shredded on my Express a while back. No big I said to myself, Ill just throw on the spare. I look under the van - nothing. No spare, even the carrier is gone. I briefly wonder if I ever had one, and under what circumstances it departed...

Anyway, I needed a new tire ASAP, and they were all mismatched and old and past their sell-by. So I might as well get a complete set. And an extra so I actually have a spare. So I cruised over to Les Schwab with the wheel that had only tire remnants clinging to it.

They swapped that tire out and I ordered some sweet cheap alloys with a full set of new tires. The brand is Sailun, which I had never heard of. Since its a crappy van I wasnt feeling particular.

They seem fine, they feel squishier than the old ones but thats probably just because they have some tread. They are also a bit louder. Not reasonable to compare their grip to 10+ year old truck tires, and I never push the thing anywhere near the limits anyway, and I havent driven it in the rain yet.

Sailun has a good reputation in the RV world. To the point people will remove new tires just to have them because they have a reputation for being less prone to blowouts.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Well in that case Im glad I did all that careful research and got the best tire. :viggo:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Oh hi

In recent years I've been using Bridgestone Weathercontrol A005's for my 2016 euro-civic.
I chose them because they rated better than the Michelin Cross climate in rain performance, and boy does it rain here a whole lot so I said I'd try them out..

They're great all year around, even during summer weather. It drives through light-moderate snow quite well but I've yet to test them in temps under -8c.

They look sexy too!
Would recommend.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So I totally forgot that KIA fits Nexens as OEM tires on their cars and I forgot to ask them for it when I bought the car... so now I'm stuck with lovely Nexen N'Fera SU1's that also were called "so bad that they are dangerous" in the recent Swedish summer tire test. Fitting the test winners, Michelin Primacy 4's will set me back about $1k. FML :v:
Can't stand the thought of getting rid of brand new tires. At least I remembered to get the best winter tires thrown in.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 9, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do a bunch of burnouts

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
The tires on my wife's used '18 Volvo S60 are Nankang something or others. They are stiff, noisy and have no grip. They're extremely cheap, though, so five stars on Amazon. I can also see why dealers love to swap them on. Fuckers.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

So I totally forgot that KIA fits Nexens as OEM tires on their cars and I forgot to ask them for it when I bought the car... so now I'm stuck with lovely Nexen N'Fera SU1's that also were called "so bad that they are dangerous" in the recent Swedish summer tire test. Fitting the test winners, Michelin Primacy 4's will set me back about $1k. FML :v:
Can't stand the thought of getting rid of brand new tires. At least I remembered to get the best winter tires thrown in.

Ive eyeballed those Nexens before... if you have winter tires and understand what happens to summer tires below 40 degrees I think youll like what you have. Theyll be way stickier and more fun than the Primacy. Not sure what kind of summer tire test that is but they dont appear to be testing tires Id class as summers, any Primacy sure as poo poo isnt.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cross posting, thought this thread may be appropriate. I have to replace the plug end on my inflator, is there any disadvantage to the spring loaded kind vs the locking one?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
All our machines at work use the second style. They're definitely faster and easier to use. I hate the locking style like that, my emergency inflator uses it.

They do eventually wear out the o-ring inside and need to be replaced. We usually replace them every couple years when they start to leak when inflating a tire.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Ive eyeballed those Nexens before... if you have winter tires and understand what happens to summer tires below 40 degrees I think youll like what you have. Theyll be way stickier and more fun than the Primacy. Not sure what kind of summer tire test that is but they dont appear to be testing tires Id class as summers, any Primacy sure as poo poo isnt.

I always have a set of winters and summers since it's the norm here in Sweden. I always try to buy premium. Both the Nexen and Michelin class the SU1 and Primacy 4 respectively as summer tires. IMO the tire tests that Swedish magazines do are the most thourough I've seen done.

I guess I'll have to give them a shot, especially as I won't be doing the long planned road trip due to COVID19.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

I always have a set of winters and summers since it's the norm here in Sweden. I always try to buy premium. Both the Nexen and Michelin class the SU1 and Primacy 4 respectively as summer tires. IMO the tire tests that Swedish magazines do are the most thourough I've seen done.

I guess I'll have to give them a shot, especially as I won't be doing the long planned road trip due to COVID19.

Im curious now, I didnt realize the Primacy had a summer tire option. Mind linking to the test?

I still think youll be fine with the nexens as long as you understand theyll be dangerous below a certain temperature, which I suspect is what the test is getting at. I know my Pilot Super Sports are a lot more reasonable at low temps than most summer tires.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Does anyone have experience with Tirerack's mobile install service ("ASAP")? Their prices are comparable to the shops in my area and it may be nicer to not have to deal with scheduling drop-offs and pick-ups with a shop.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I haven't used it but I imagine it is still a local shop doing the work, just from a van. I'd trust tire rack to fix things if it somehow ended up bad

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I didnt know it was a thing and now itll be what I do next time I need tires. hope that helped?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Can I whine about tires in this thread? Just took the winter wheels off the Escalade and put the 20" chromes back on, because :whatup: , and saw some dry rot between the treads. 2014 Michelins, looks like this is their last season.

275/55-20. :(

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

tbh a little checking in the grooves is extremely common on mics and can go quite a ways without causing trouble. No cords no problem.

If you do chuck em early, you should definitely turn them into smoke and post a video. We've been a little short on Cadillac burnouts since Tremek sold the V.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 23, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Can I whine about tires in this thread? Just took the winter wheels off the Escalade and put the 20" chromes back on, because :whatup: , and saw some dry rot between the treads. 2014 Michelins, looks like this is their last season.

How's the wear other than that? Six seasons is about as long as I've managed to keep any tires.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, light weather checking is pretty common on Michelins of that vintage. My PSS's don't have any, but almost every passenger and truck tire I see come through has it to varying degrees, especially in the tread grooves.

As long as you don't see the fabric cords at the bottom of the cracks, I wouldn't be concerned.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How's the wear other than that? Six seasons is about as long as I've managed to keep any tires.

They don't have more than 15k on them, so they're no less than 75% tread. Since then, I've done some looking and that size isn't as expensive as I thought... throw 800 bones to Costco and I'm all good.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

meatpimp posted:

They don't have more than 15k on them, so they're no less than 75% tread. Since then, I've done some looking and that size isn't as expensive as I thought... throw 800 bones to Costco and I'm all good.

Sounds like you need some high performance summer tires. Since you've got winter tires anyway, and tread-wear isn't an issue, may as well get something soft and sticky.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

meatpimp posted:

Michelins dry rot like crazy especially in dry climates. ( your in cali right? ) you got 6 years out of em thats about right.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MarsellusWallace posted:

Sounds like you need some high performance summer tires. Since you've got winter tires anyway, and tread-wear isn't an issue, may as well get something soft and sticky.

I'll pass on sticky tires on a big dumb truck. I would like to find the Eibach sway bars for it, though.

Preoptopus posted:

Michelins dry rot like crazy especially in dry climates. ( your in cali right? ) you got 6 years out of em thats about right.

Ohio, but apparently dry enough. The set of Michelins I had on my son's Avalon dryrotted in 6 years, too. That's a bummer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I can't imagine getting six seasons out of pretty much anything, but I guess I generally prioritize all other metrics over treadware/life, and I only buy Michelin summer tires so if they make it to 20k miles it's a miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I mean you don't want to drive on anything past 7 years of age regardless of tread depth. Side wall integrity is very compromised at that point.