Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
In theory having high level crafting recipes be extremely good is fine because it should (but currently doesn't) take ages to actually get good at crafting. The current survivor armour is extremely dull but functional and wanting to improve on it for something more interesting is good. Given how this sort of thing is typically handled it's hardly surprising that people are expecting it to just get axed for "realism" reasons rather than waiting for a better replacement to be implemented first.

On the plus side the guy working on the inventory bags / pockets rework posted a WIP on Reddit earlier today which suggests that it might actually get done at some point, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Pocket rework but you have a 50% chance that all pants found have short pockets/fake pockets.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The other 50% will have a hole in the pocket :v:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My plan is to disassemble it to its base components, trash the pocket but keep the hole, and stockpile holes.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Leal posted:

The other 50% will have a hole in the pocket :v:

I fully expect this rework to either contain or lead to having items fall out of damaged bags for maximum annoyance.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

For "realism" all female clothing items will have no or fake pockets.

Any dresses which do have pockets will make the character announce "It has pockets!" to random zombies.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to recover from an infected wound in the latest experimental? I've gone through a ten-pack of antibiotics over the course of several days and its done nothing but continue to get worse.

I went to see if it's possible to just edit it out of my save but they seem to have changed the savegame file system to something incomprehensible

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vib Rib posted:

My plan is to disassemble it to its base components, trash the pocket but keep the hole, and stockpile holes.

Okay, Ringo.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it possible to recover from an infected wound in the latest experimental? I've gone through a ten-pack of antibiotics over the course of several days and its done nothing but continue to get worse.

I went to see if it's possible to just edit it out of my save but they seem to have changed the savegame file system to something incomprehensible

There are different types of antibiotics, the weaker ones only slow the infection down.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Peachfart posted:

There are different types of antibiotics, the weaker ones only slow the infection down.

I was taking both types. (I was taking 'antibiotics', then I also found a weaker type and figured it couldn't hurt).

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Did they up the base difficulty? It seems like every zombie soldier is now a kevlar zombie and every lab is full of endless waves of kevlar hulks.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

That should only be the case if you're later in the game or starting with advanced evolution

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The Lone Badger posted:

I was taking both types. (I was taking 'antibiotics', then I also found a weaker type and figured it couldn't hurt).

Antibiotics are a crapshoot now. Once the infection sets in they only have a slowing effect with a small chance to cure every 24 hours. Recovery can take a week or more, and sometimes not even work. It's really not worth messing with anymore, especially since you can get cattail jelly so trivially.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I go about healing? Sleeping overnight seems to heal by half a bar or less. Does applying the 'bandaged' status effect help, or what do I need to be doing?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Antibiotics are a crapshoot now. Once the infection sets in they only have a slowing effect with a small chance to cure every 24 hours. Recovery can take a week or more, and sometimes not even work. It's really not worth messing with anymore, especially since you can get cattail jelly so trivially.

I'm starting to get this thread confused with the C-SPAM we live in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia thread, so I guess good job devs

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

How do I go about healing? Sleeping overnight seems to heal by half a bar or less. Does applying the 'bandaged' status effect help, or what do I need to be doing?

Healing has been totally revamped so that now the best possible way to heal damage is to get the best bandages you can. Medical gauze works best of what I've found. Damage heals while awake and while sleeping now when bandaged so even though it's a much slower process now sometimes requiring changing your bandages multiple times it's also convenient to be able to heal while reading your mechanics book or tailoring or whatever.

With rags and water and some first aid skill (all first aid kits start with a booklet that can get you to 1 first aid) you can make boiled bandages which work well enough that if you ever do run out of first aid bandages you can probably just throw these at the problem until it's fixed. They are real slow though. You can also use rags and bleach to make bleach bandages they work the exact same though as best I could tell.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ok thanks. Does the 'disinfected' status help too?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yes. Bandages and gauze are the same, bandages just have a higher percent chance to stop bleeding. With some skill makeshift bandages become pretty easy and useful, and can be boiled costing no disinfectant to make.

I'd keep boiled bandages and a condom of cattail jelly by your bed and apply both to any damaged parts before bed and in the morning.

Health score helps too, so avoid mutant meat, junk food, and cracklings. Take a multi vitamin daily. If needed your autodoc can prescribe a leukocyte breeder.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Yes. Bandages and gauze are the same, bandages just have a higher percent chance to stop bleeding. With some skill makeshift bandages become pretty easy and useful, and can be boiled costing no disinfectant to make.

I'd keep boiled bandages and a condom of cattail jelly by your bed and apply both to any damaged parts before bed and in the morning.

Health score helps too, so avoid mutant meat, junk food, and cracklings. Take a multi vitamin daily. If needed your autodoc can prescribe a leukocyte breeder.

Multivitamins don't increase your health score anymore, in fact currently they do nothing because the negative effects for vitamin deficiencies are apparently turned off now even if you're not using simplified nutrition. The best way to increase your health other than the leukocyte breeder is protein shakes which are pretty easy to make as long as you have a food dehydrator.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Figuring out when to eat is also kinda difficult, since my Hunger seems to fluctuate up and down without rhyme or reason. I'll be asleep and it goes from : to Very Hungry then back down to : then up to Peckish then I wake up. I think I have to keep real-life notes on how many calories I've eaten.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Being underweight or overweight does absolutely nothing so it's 100% safe to just drink water and eat the occasional morale-boosting snack and then when you hit underweight you can binge eat like a crazy person to bump your calorie store up a bit. It's much easier than trying to keep your calorie intake steady.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

The Lone Badger posted:

Figuring out when to eat is also kinda difficult, since my Hunger seems to fluctuate up and down without rhyme or reason. I'll be asleep and it goes from : to Very Hungry then back down to : then up to Peckish then I wake up. I think I have to keep real-life notes on how many calories I've eaten.

Hold on lets get that graph out (which i sincerely hope was a joke) and we can figure this out for ya.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What does it mean when "You feel that your body needs more nutritious food"? I ate a bunch and it's still spamming me with it, does it mean that I need more meat?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

What does it mean when "You feel that your body needs more nutritious food"? I ate a bunch and it's still spamming me with it, does it mean that I need more meat?

I'm pretty sure that's just the first message you get telling you that you're getting below a healthy weight. There's like a 1 day delay between eating food and it actually having an impact on your stored calories so it will take a bit for the message to go away even if you've eaten more than enough.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Eating whenever you are hungry now seems to just lead to you being overweight after a couple days. I've only been eating one "meal" per day and just keeping myself full by chugging water the rest of the time.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Arven posted:

Eating whenever you are hungry now seems to just lead to you being overweight after a couple days. I've only been eating one "meal" per day and just keeping myself full by chugging water the rest of the time.
Temporarily forgot what thread I was in and became very concerned if I should agree.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
They changed < and > for changing tabs to Tab and shift+Tab lmao, I had to google what backtab even is, what the gently caress is wrong with those people.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Yeah they really seem to be in a "changing poo poo just because" phase right now. Maybe it's always been like that though, I only started just playing at the Danny release.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Arven posted:

My current character ate too many crow eggs and became overweight, so I spent the next two days just shotgunning water out of a bucket and everything worked out fine. I was chugging like twenty liters of water a day, it was loving insane.

It's gonna be a mess when some joker decides to implement water poisoning.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

My current character ate too many crow eggs and became overweight, so I spent the next two days just shotgunning water out of a bucket and everything worked out fine. I was chugging like twenty liters of water a day, it was loving insane.

Just go full mouse and bypass the entire system I say.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm pretty sure being hungry doesn't actually have any effect on your character anymore so you can just stay at very hungry for as long as you need to. Of course they'll probably implement mood/focus/pain penalties for being hungry eventually and Cataclysm will finally be "Poor Person in a Food Desert Simulator" as it was always meant to be.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Arven posted:

Yeah they really seem to be in a "changing poo poo just because" phase right now. Maybe it's always been like that though, I only started just playing at the Danny release.

C:DDA development has been in the "changing poo poo just because" phase for multiple years.
Each new stable release culminates in a small number of identifiable additions and a mountain of busywork.

Consequential progress is almost entirely dependant on a new contributors pet project finishing before they're driven off by the malice of inconsequential long term contributors.

Mods are about the last bastion of development and creativity. Half of them devoted to undoing arbitrary changes to the main branch.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Easy mode healing: 1) turn on Magiclysm. 2) Raid churches until you get Introduction to the Divine. 3) Learn Pain Split and Cure Light Wounds. 4) ??? 5) Prophet.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Strumpie posted:

Mods are about the last bastion of development and creativity. Half of them devoted to undoing arbitrary changes to the main branch.

...which is why there has been a concerted effort lately to remove mods from the default download that are 'too complicated' or 'not a good fit'.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Does simplified nutrition make the hunger system make sense again? I played for like six months on whatever version got posted in the sseth video two years ago and now I feel like the hunger meter doesn't communicate anything to me at all

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How are bows now? It looks like I have a choice between the old favourite Reflex Recurve Bow (fastest), the Compound Greatbow (hits like a truck), and the regular Compound Bow in between.

I can't assess the attachment stats. Are they universally bad like firearms? Or should I attach at least a simple sight and an arrow rest?

Edit: I think simplified nutrition juat means you don't need to track vitamins and minerals and stuff. You still need to manually count calories because the hunger meter means nothing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Peachfart posted:

...which is why there has been a concerted effort lately to remove mods from the default download that are 'too complicated' or 'not a good fit'.
Any in particular on the chopping block, or already cut, that are worth having?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

How are bows now? It looks like I have a choice between the old favourite Reflex Recurve Bow (fastest), the Compound Greatbow (hits like a truck), and the regular Compound Bow in between.

I can't assess the attachment stats. Are they universally bad like firearms? Or should I attach at least a simple sight and an arrow rest?

Edit: I think simplified nutrition juat means you don't need to track vitamins and minerals and stuff. You still need to manually count calories because the hunger meter means nothing.

Last I saw, bows were halfway through a rebuild that was abandoned. Since no one else bothered picking it up they are lovely and unbalanced.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Why does minimizing the window kill the entire session? Is there some setting to change this behavior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

grate deceiver posted:

They changed < and > for changing tabs to Tab and shift+Tab lmao, I had to google what backtab even is, what the gently caress is wrong with those people.

It was always dumb that to change tabs you had to press <> instead Tab. I hope they change it everywhere for consistency. Shift+Tab is also the standard shortcut in a lot of apps/OSes for going in the other direction.