Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah the last game between Freo and Geelong was the best of the round - more open play, more kicks and handpasses finding targets.

The Moorabbin game wasn't bad either although obviously the Dogs experience told there.

I get the feeling the league likes the 15 minute quarters because it means they can schedule the games into 2 hour slots, but they're definitely too short for my liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Id imagine starting in february is a factor too. Playing a full length game in 40+ would not be good

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
As a spectator, I quite like the 15 minute quarters. It's a really comfortable length to go and watch a game for.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Only 2 teams in conference A won their first game, compared to 5 teams in conference B.

Kangaroos are in the top 3 for conference A despite losing and Dees are 5th in conference B despite winning.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Conferences are going to kick out teams with more wins again.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Melbourne gave Harley Bennel a contract :unsmith:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snaeksikn posted:

Only 2 teams in conference A won their first game, compared to 5 teams in conference B.

Kangaroos are in the top 3 for conference A despite losing and Dees are 5th in conference B despite winning.

Now where have I heard this before? :thunk:

At least this time there are three teams from each conference going through to the finals.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/man-s-meltdown-over-aflw-enters-fourth-year

A great article from Titus. One of the comments is particularly ironic!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Forum Joe posted:

https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/man-s-meltdown-over-aflw-enters-fourth-year

A great article from Titus. One of the comments is particularly ironic!

Not just one I think :whitewater:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
:lol: at the guy complaining that men don't do synchronised swimming, netball or beauty pageants.

Mind you, I honestly can't work out whether that comment was parody or not given that it ended with this:

quote:

Some Russian friends of mine saw some videos of the AFLW and thought the players looked terrible and the game was shocking to watch and when a bunch of hairy armpit Russian sheilas think the game is undignified of woman you know its not a good international look.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

cmndstab posted:

:lol: at the guy complaining that men don't do ... netball

That son of a bitch better take that back.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So kicking people is not allowed then?

Also, how has St. Kilda won jack poo poo despite being a foundation club?

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 12, 2020

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I mean they've won 26 wooden spoons

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
By being exceptionally poo poo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

They weren’t a foundation club :crossarms:

When they did join they took like three seasons to win a match and that was after requesting a count back on the scores.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

They weren’t a foundation club :crossarms:

When they did join they took like three seasons to win a match and that was after requesting a count back on the scores.

Huh? Yeah, we were.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Huh? Yeah, we were.

Welp, my bad. For some reason I thought there were a couple of years of a six team VFL before you joined.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Welp, my bad. For some reason I thought there were a couple of years of a six team VFL before you joined.

Well there may as well have been.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I was just going to look up whether the Saints have won more wooden spoons than made grand finals in my lifetime and I have just found out that St Kilda won 5 of 6 wooden spoons between 1983 to 1988 which is frankly impressive in its own right

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

I was just going to look up whether the Saints have won more wooden spoons than made grand finals in my lifetime and I have just found out that St Kilda won 5 of 6 wooden spoons between 1983 to 1988 which is frankly impressive in its own right

Makes Pluggers goals record even more impressive

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

8 clubs in the first VFL season. Richmond and :laugh: University joined in 1908. Next intake was North, Footscray and Hawthorn in 1925.

Actually found this decent chart on the Wikipedia article.

We felt very sorry for the token Saints supporter in primary school.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Saints and Carlton were invited to join the VFL to boost the number of games per week. Splitting away from the VFA. Hotham is older than some of the foundation VFL clubs, now known as North Melbourne.

Back then they were the poor clubs. Carlton didn't have a permanent home and were nomads, playing games at the MCG, Royal Park and just open parkland at the southern end of Princes Park. A stipulation of joining the VFL was that grounds needed to be fenced to tickets could be sold. This spurred Carlton to set up a proper home ground at Princes Park, where we remain.

Saints just remained smallish, Junction Oval being home, but only 1km away from South Melbournes homeground at Lakeside Oval, a larger club with more supporters.

Anyway, looks like the AFL is actually not grabbing every dollar possible.

quote:

Footy fans are set for a big free kick, with the AFL to axe unpopular transaction fees for sporting events at its Marvel Stadium in Docklands.

A three-year price freeze on AFL regular season match tickets will also be announced on Friday. The $3.15 booking fees — which fans have been forced to pay simply to buy their tickets — will be removed for footy, Big Bash cricket and A-League soccer matches at Marvel.

This will save sports fans at least $750,000 a year, but footy fanatics will still face transaction fees at the MCG and other AFL venues

The ticket price freeze will see ­general admission seats set at $27 for adults and $5 for kids at every regular season AFL match in Melbourne, starting from Round 1.

AFL reserved seat prices, set by clubs, are due to be announced in the next fortnight. AFL chief Gillon ­McLachlan said the measures aimed to make games more affordable

He said the axing of the booking fees “removes a barrier and provides an immediate saving for fans’’. Mr McLachlan added: “Our commitment continues to make AFL games as accessible and affordable as possible.”

The transaction fee cull will apply to every seat at Marvel and provide a direct saving to fans, with the AFL and Ticketmaster agreeing the cost will not be passed on elsewhere.

At least 43 AFL matches will be played at the venue this season. AFL Fans Association president Gerry Eeman applauded both decisions as “a significant commitment’’ by the league to make sport more affordable

“It will help keep the game accessible, which is good for the long-term health of the game,’’ he said. “Booking fees are often used as a licence to print money. Hopefully other ­venues take note and follow the lead of Marvel Stadium.’’ More than 1.3 million fans attended footy matches at Marvel last year.

St Kilda will play 14 matches at the ground this season with Western Bulldogs (12), Carlton (10), Essendon (nine), North Melbourne (nine), Hawthorn (five), Collingwood (three) and Geelong (two) fans also set to save

The change will be in place when tickets go on sale to AFL club members on February 24. Mr McLachlan also confirmed free admission for children to MCG and Marvel Stadium footy games on Sundays would return this season.

Ticketmaster will waive all transaction fees for the AFL State of Origin Bushfire Relief match at Marvel Stadium on February 28.

The decision to axe ticket fees at the venue follows a similar decision to eliminate a $5.90 surcharge on tennis fans buying seats to this year’s ­Australian Open. MCG spokeswoman Sophie Henderson said there was no immediate plan to remove $3.10 transaction fees at the home of football.

“Patrons purchasing tickets to AFL matches at the MCG in 2020 will incur a fee of $3.10 per transaction,’’ she said.

Of course, they announced that the centre circle will be a coles logo this year, instead of the toyota one. So it'll look like absolute garbage painted red. ugh.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Saints and Carlton were invited to join the VFL to boost the number of games per week. Splitting away from the VFA. Hotham is older than some of the foundation VFL clubs, now known as North Melbourne.

Back then they were the poor clubs. Carlton didn't have a permanent home and were nomads, playing games at the MCG, Royal Park and just open parkland at the southern end of Princes Park. A stipulation of joining the VFL was that grounds needed to be fenced to tickets could be sold. This spurred Carlton to set up a proper home ground at Princes Park, where we remain.

Saints just remained smallish, Junction Oval being home, but only 1km away from South Melbournes homeground at Lakeside Oval, a larger club with more supporters.

Anyway, looks like the AFL is actually not grabbing every dollar possible.

Of course, they announced that the centre circle will be a coles logo this year, instead of the toyota one. So it'll look like absolute garbage painted red. ugh.

Isnt the coles logo just a word?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sadly, no.

Centre circle is painted red.

It is blatant and crass.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

Sadly, no.

Centre circle is painted red.

It is blatant and crass.

That looks worse but before it was also the logo of a car company...?

It’s not like it’s replacing a blank space or the AFL logo, it’s an Australian retailer replacing the largest automaker in the world. It does look worse but it’s not much more or less commercial.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It is more.

It is solid and in colour.

All advertising on the ground is awful and should only be inserted digitally on tv like the stats are.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So yes Irish players are real loving dumb, but in what universe does the umpire not say “straight to her” and point in that circumstance?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Bonnie Toogood is still the best name in footy

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Maybe if Kate Hore keeps getting the ball she will start getting it between the goal posts

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Being up 10 scoring shots to 1 halfway throughh the third and losing would be an extremely melbourne thing to do(apart from the being up in the third part)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Welp injury to Kemp in the last 30 seconds or so leaves us with zero fit players in reserve?

Positive win though, hopefully it pisses down rain every week because we looked really clean disposal and marking in the conditions

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The girls looked really good. Defence looked really strong tonight with interception and Downey didn't even have her usual influence.

I think the Dees look really dangerous when Hore and Gay get ahold of the ball at half forward as they're both natural footballers and create a lot but the finishing just isn't there yet.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Swapped my tip to the doggies in the arvo when it pissed down with rain.

I don't know why...

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Haven't had much guernsey chat for the dudes this year, mostly because most clubs haven't messed around with things too much.

- Essendon have gone to Under Armour. The new stuff looks fine, maybe a wider sash.

- Carlton have gone to Puma, which sees Nike exit the AFL space.

- St Kilda are being supplied by ISC but Dare have taken up the collar space normally used by the manufacturer. I like the white clash at least. For training jumpers they've used the 90s designs (both the red and the yellow Pura Milk version)

- Gold Coast seem to be doing something similar with the space ISC didn't want to buy. Honestly their jumper could use a major do-over anyway, maybe it'll change their luck. Maybe something with myrtle, rose and yellow...

- Collingwood are doing commemoratives - home is a throwback to 2010 which wasn't the best design but hey they won a flag in it. The away on the other hand is a rehash of the 1990 jumper and it looks gooood. Like, they should go back to the white as their main anyway.

- Brisbane have gone to Classic (who mostly do RL stuff) who have apparently botched the jumpers and had to do a do-over. Also a new clash design which is a maroon vee on white with the lion overlaid.

- Adelaide's messing with their clash again (which was one of the better ones out there) and have gone with a design that won a people's vote a couple of years back - basically the tricolour but shrunk and with a white crow on top.

- Port Adelaide are going the whole hog for their 150th, so of course the Prisonbars are coming out for their "home" Showdown and the pale blue and white hoops are getting a run as well at some point. Along with their usual black with the vees as well as the grey clash (now with the white panel)

- North have decided to do pinstripes but from what I've seen they're wider than the traditional 70s look, and they look kind of... bad. Will have to see how they look on the field I guess.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Deadly Hume posted:

- Adelaide's messing with their clash again (which was one of the better ones out there) and have gone with a design that won a people's vote a couple of years back - basically the tricolour but shrunk and with a white crow on top.

It's from the infamous rigged fan poll, where they picked the winner in advance and had it in production already, and had it starting the fan poll with a 500k vote lead. They hoped nobody would notice, but they were wrong, and someone built a vote spamming bot that proved it.

If memory serves, the 'winner' before they had to reverse their decision was one with a giant rendition of our ugly rear end traced Baltimore Ravens logo, that to this day the club still insists looks nothing like the Ravens logo and is tremendously popular with the kids so they won't be chjanging it. One of the fine legacies of the Stephen Trigg years.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 14, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

How does Collingwood have a throwback jumper when they’re too loving up themselves to ever change it?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

It's from the infamous rigged fan poll, where they picked the winner in advance and had it in production already, and had it starting the fan poll with a 500k vote lead. They hoped nobody would notice, but they were wrong, and someone built a vote spamming bot that proved it.

If memory serves, the 'winner' before they had to reverse their decision was one with a giant rendition of our ugly rear end traced Baltimore Ravens logo, that to this day the club still insists looks nothing like the Ravens logo and is tremendously popular with the kids so they won't be chjanging it. One of the fine legacies of the Stephen Trigg years.
Yeah it's ten years old and it looks it. It's pretty funny how some logos don't really date that badly, Essendon probably don't have to do anything with theirs despite it being over 20 years old.

Anyway the AFL itself has commissioned a new/updated logo which should come out sometime this year apparently so that's going to be FINE.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Goalcoast.

Good match against Richmond and a pretty decent crowd up in the banana republic.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
This Gold Coast Richmond game is pretty good. It's a fairly even matchup with good skills without a howling wind.

edit: anyone know how to stop the website from refreshing every couple of minutes and breaking the stream?

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

monolithburger posted:

This Gold Coast Richmond game is pretty good. It's a fairly even matchup with good skills in decent weather.

edit: anyone know how to stop the website from refreshing every couple of minutes and breaking the stream?

Dumb telstra design, the page autorefreshes for score updates, killing the video stream.

Sadly this isn't a channel 7 match so you can't swap to the 7plus livestream. I'm watching via kayo.