Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Along the same lines, is the Shout Factory Mad Max blu about to go OOP? It's down to $6 on amazon, which is atypical for Shout stuff and they seem to be going on backorder every other day.

If you have a Best Buy in your area check their cheap blu-ray bin because the one near me had a whole poo poo load of copies of Mad Max.

Egbert Souse posted:

Apparently, a lot of MGM-owned films are going out of print from Shout.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/page/list/id/282113

What's up with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CPL593H posted:

If you have a Best Buy in your area check their cheap blu-ray bin because the one near me had a whole poo poo load of copies of Mad Max.

I bought a copy off amazon earlier today that should arrive tomorrow. I also pulled the trigger on Lord of Illusions since that’s one of the ones listed in that Shout link.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

What's up with this?

Shout probably got shorter term licenses or they're not as big sellers worth reprinting. Also likely that some titles like Mad Max are going to get a 4K remaster. I read somewhere that Shout was able to renew the rights for their long-OOP first Vincent Price set, but by that time there was a new 4K restoration underway for The Masque of Red Death they could include.

That's on top with the potential buyout of MGM by Apple and possibly Universal taking over home media distribution when the Fox contract runs out. All the MGM titles licensed to labels like Shout, Criterion, Olive, etc. were actually licensed from Fox.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

I read somewhere that Shout was able to renew the rights for their long-OOP first Vincent Price set

Heck yeah, been waiting for this.

Egbert Souse posted:

but by that time there was a new 4K restoration underway for The Masque of Red Death they could include.

Double heck yeah.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

April Indicator releases:

John Ford at Columbia (The Whole Town's Talking, Gideon's Day, The Long Gray Line, The Last Hurrah)
The Strange One

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Boyz n the Hood UHD is pretty drat good. Some early issues with uneven grain in the first five minutes or so because the childhood scenes have a hazy quality to them but after that it's pretty much perfect.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Kinos blu ray of Long Day's Journey Into Night looked drat good. Super impressed.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

April Indicator releases:

John Ford at Columbia (The Whole Town's Talking, Gideon's Day, The Long Gray Line, The Last Hurrah)
The Strange One

Another month of howling WHERE IS MY CALIFORNIA SPLIT BD into the void

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Logan 4k
FoxRedeem.com
4MAGD2AB9AQMH9J5

I figure since iTunes already upgraded my BluRay HD version to 4K, this should go to a more Logan-less person. Enjoy!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boywhiz88 posted:

Logan 4k
FoxRedeem.com
4MAGD2AB9AQMH9J5

I figure since iTunes already upgraded my BluRay HD version to 4K, this should go to a more Logan-less person. Enjoy!

Got it thank you so much!

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Elephant man 4k is up for preorder. I'm weak and got it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
They’ve gotta release UHD’s of the Bill & Ted movies, right? A third one coming out, a decent following. Right?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kit Parker Films be releasing a set of newly restored Laurel & Hardy comedies on June 16, per a post on Blu-ray.com.

quote:

STAN AND OLLIE LOOK AND SOUND BETTER THAN EVER! New 2K and 4K digital restorations from original 35mm nitrate, Laurel and Hardy's classic comedies are here in the best quality since their first release! Two features and 17 shorts, including the legendary pie-fight silent film "The Battle of the Century," making its video debut and nearly complete for the first time in over 90 years!

Bonus Materials:
Commentaries by Randy Skretvedt and Richard W. Bann
Never before seen video interviews as well as audio interviews with L&H co-workers
Over 2,500 rare photos, posters, scripts and studio files
Alternate Soundtracks
Music Tracks
"Ship's Reporter" Oliver Hardy Interview (restored)
"That's That" (restored/first time on video)
"Tree in a Test Tube" (restored from 16mm Kodachrome)
L&H off-camera pix from Hardy's collection
Restored Trailers
Feature Films:
Sons of the Desert
Way Out West
Short Subjects:
Berth Marks
The Battle of the Century (with new music track by Donald Sosin; virtually complete and restored)
Brats
Busy Bodies
The Chimp
Come Clean
County Hospital
Helpmates
Hog Wild
Me and My Pal
Midnight Patrol
The Music Box
One Good Turn
Scram!
Their First Mistake
Towed in a Hole
Twice Two

Restorations by Jeff Joseph/SabuCat in conjunction with the UCLA Film & Television Archive and the Library of Congress. Using careful photochemical and digital techniques, these classic films are restored to pristine condition. In these stunning new transfers, they look and sound as beautiful as they did when they were first released.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are there any good UK stores to buy Blu-rays from that aren't based in some dumb tax shelter like Jersey? I wanna order some movies from within EU, and it's still a huge mess if you don't want to buy from Amazon. And iTunes' catalogue is pathetic, even though I also prefer the higher quality of Blu-ray

I tried Zavvi for a while, but apparently they're using some tax shelter, too, which means that I get slapped with customs charges.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
sometimes cheap blurays and dvds only come with the 5.1 sound so my 2.1 sounds kinda muted
are there any ways to circumvent this? I have my ps4 hooked up to my tv and that to my old pc logitech 2.1 speakers

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Honest Thief posted:

sometimes cheap blurays and dvds only come with the 5.1 sound so my 2.1 sounds kinda muted
are there any ways to circumvent this? I have my ps4 hooked up to my tv and that to my old pc logitech 2.1 speakers

It's technically on the pc bit media player classic allows you to force the audio into stereo

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ChazTurbo posted:

It's technically on the pc bit media player classic allows you to force the audio into stereo

dang.. you figure tvs could have that figured out as well by now

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Scream got solid deals goin' down: https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/love-is-in-the-scare

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Honest Thief posted:

dang.. you figure tvs could have that figured out as well by now

Best go dad mode and invest in an av receiver

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is The Vagrant any good?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What are a good set of speakers for Blus/4K? Nothing insanely expensive (over $1K) if possible. My current receiver/speaker set is dying.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Is The Vagrant any good?

It’s pretty wacky but very fun. I got to see it at an all night horror movie fest and the crowd really responded to it even though by the time they screened it, it was like 4am. Bill Paxton is great as always.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ruddiger posted:

It’s pretty wacky but very fun. I got to see it at an all night horror movie fest and the crowd really responded to it even though by the time they screened it, it was like 4am. Bill Paxton is great as always.

Wacky is my favorite thing a movie can be.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Artificial Eye is putting out a 2-disc steelbook limited edition of Parasite will come with 2 different cuts of the film (I'm guessing the black and white version).

Only thing is that it won't be out until June in the UK.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Parasite-Blu-ray/263424/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Was the black and white version enhanced in post? I rarely find B&W versions of native color movies interesting because the contrast needed to make B&W look right is a whole other thing from color balance and simply converting the color channels to greyscale rarely cuts it alone.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 11, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I just went on the blu-ray.com forums to see if anyone knew whether or not the b&w version was getting a US video release. I didn't find that, but I did find a whole lot of dipshit takes on poverty. I think I know where everyone from the IMDB forums ended up after they shut that down. How the gently caress do you miss the point of the movie that badly and still want to buy a copy of it?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Any word if any English speaking countries are gonna get parasite in 4k? Seems to be France only at the moment.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I just went on the blu-ray.com forums to see if anyone knew whether or not the b&w version was getting a US video release. I didn't find that, but I did find a whole lot of dipshit takes on poverty. I think I know where everyone from the IMDB forums ended up after they shut that down. How the gently caress do you miss the point of the movie that badly and still want to buy a copy of it?

Those are the people who have to have both the Best Buy AND Target exclusive steelbooks of Doctor Strange, so there’s your answer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea bluray.com forums people are the type that don't really have to like a movie to spend money on it, their goal is basically to own every single relevant film ever made. They'll buy Parasite, throw it on the shelf still in the wrapper, and never touch it again.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Yea bluray.com forums people are the type that don't really have to like a movie to spend money on it, their goal is basically to own every single relevant film ever made. They'll buy Parasite, throw it on the shelf still in the wrapper, and never touch it again.

i had an uncle who was like that. he had an immaculate DVD collection, but maybe 10 of them were open the rest (probably in the 500+ range) never opened.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have 4 Blu Rays and one DVD that is currently unopened.

Three of the Blu-Rays (Black Swan, Xtro 3, and Hollywood Horror House), I just haven't gotten around to watching because I know my roommate won't really like them. The other one is The Wrestler, which I just haven't been in the mood to watch again yet.

The DVD is one I got for Christmas some years ago. Essential Earnest Collection, I've seen Earnest Rides again, and Earnest Goes to School, so I just never felt the need to sit down and watch even worse Ernest P. Worrell movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea if anything I'm more guilty of rewatching my blu ray collection too often to the point where I burn stuff out. I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many times I've watched the John Wick trilogy, for instance. And when I do blind-buy a blu ray I typically watch it twice within a week regardless of my opinion of it. If it was good I want to watch it again, if it was disappointing I want to watch it again to see if my opinion changes.

Edit: LOL, you weren't kidding. The main complaint on the forums about Parasite seems to be that the Kims weren't really trying that hard to lift themselves out of poverty because they had cell phones.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 11, 2020

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I tend to pirate/stream/theater watch a movie and then buy the ones I really, really like and want to rewatch. I have made some blind buys that tuned out well though. The people on the br forum are often too fixated on quantity

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Iron Crowned posted:

Three of the Blu-Rays (Black Swan, Xtro 3, and Hollywood Horror House), I just haven't gotten around to watching because I know my roommate won't really like them. The other one is The Wrestler, which I just haven't been in the mood to watch again yet.

The DVD is one I got for Christmas some years ago. Essential Earnest Collection, I've seen Earnest Rides again, and Earnest Goes to School, so I just never felt the need to sit down and watch even worse Ernest P. Worrell movies.

Oh boy, Earnest goes to Africa! There's no way that it devolves into racist tropes within 10 minutes? If anyone can provide a realistic and thoughtful portrayal of Africa, it's Earnest!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I usually have a rotating stack of movies that I've purchased but haven't watched yet. I think there are 4 on my shelf right now. I generally try to not let any one film sit for too long, but I've had Threads for like 7 months now and just haven't been in the mood to get bummed out.

Also I'm still making my way through the Criterion Bergman, Godzilla, and Zatoichi sets and probably will be for a long time.

e: poo poo, just looked back at my past Severin orders and I actually bought Threads over a year ago... maybe I'll force myself to watch it this weekend. It's a good Valentine's Day movie, right?

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 11, 2020

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Black Swan was good, but not something I ever feel the need to watch again. I feel that way about a lot of movies.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I have no unopened discs because every one gets opened and ripped to my NAS for my movie server, then stored never to be opened again in plastic bins in my closet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Ernest Scared Stupid or GTFO.

Basebf555 posted:

Edit: LOL, you weren't kidding. The main complaint on the forums about Parasite seems to be that the Kims weren't really trying that hard to lift themselves out of poverty because they had cell phones.

There are a lot times I wonder why some people even watch movies at all.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pre-order on Amazon is up for the first restored Laurel & Hardy Blu-ray set:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084P3S7NJ/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=laurel+hardy+blu-ray&qid=1581483135&sr=8-4

Per the producers of this set, it's four discs with 8 1/2 hours of films, plus it'll be region free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Black Swan was good, but not something I ever feel the need to watch again. I feel that way about a lot of movies.

Yeah, at some point a few years back I commented that I would like to upgrade my DVD of The Wrestler to a Blu Ray, and so my roommate got it for me for Christmas, and Amazon also recommended Black Swan and Requiem for a Dream (which was a French Canadian version for some reason).

CPL593H posted:

Ernest Scared Stupid or GTFO.

Hell yeah! I really just need to get Goes To Camp/Scared Stupid/Goes to Jail on Blu. I used to like Saves Christmas, but like all Christmas movies, I've seen it way too many times at my parents house, and I just can't find any joy in it anymore.

CPL593H posted:

There are a lot times I wonder why some people even watch movies at all.

People are loving weird man.

I worked in a theater in high school, and the sheer number of randos that just showed up to the box office without any idea of what was playing was astonishing. The even more astonishing thing was they'd pass a big rear end sign at the parking lot entrance, a big marquee on the front of the building, and then not even notice the list, including times in all three of the box office's windows, while waiting in line on a Friday night to ask me "what's playing?" :psyduck: