Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

I'd love a vive DAS for my Quest, but they are pretty much impossible to find at anything close to a reasonable price. Even the used ones are going for stupid money. I'd love to be proven wrong if anyone has a source for them.

e: well poo poo, nm... looks like they are back in stock at the above link :dance:

I was convinced they stopped making them. Glad I was wrong!

I have to wonder how many of them are going to end up being used with actual Vives though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Fuuuck my computer comes to a screeching halt at like 10fps on the warehouse level of Boneworks. Looks like I have to upgrade from this 970 sooner than I wanted. I might as well get ready for HL:A, but I was hoping to keep the 970 until Cyberpunk came out. Probably for the best, when I'm in an Oculus game and pop an achievement it brings me to about 10fps until the stupid notification goes away :classiclol:

Does Steam still publish their hardware stats? I'm curious if most people are still rocking this ancient card.

Yup! And it looks like the GTX 970 is still more popular than any RTX card

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

I was convinced they stopped making them. Glad I was wrong!

I have to wonder how many of them are going to end up being used with actual Vives though.

I'm wondering if they're planning to quietly bring back the Vive in the face of the Cosmos doing less than stellar sales.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They'd be better off doing a cost reduced Vive Pro.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've spent a bit to fix this drat Vive wand, buying TWO sets of Torx screwdrivers (the one that came with the first device-opening kit was an interchangeable-head kind with fat bases and short heads, and two of the screws are in deep recesses), but I think the dumb purchase prize on this endeavour goes to the $2 holepunch I bought to fix the trackpad with.

And holy poo poo does that little plastic insert make a world of difference for the trackpad :stonklol:. If anyone else is going to do this, a credit card is indeed way too thick, you only need a really thin sheet of plastic. The tear-off plastic cover from literally anything you've bought lately is the perfect thickness for this job.

SCheeseman posted:

They'd be better off doing a cost reduced Vive Pro.

They already did that; It got a permanent price drop a few months back.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A full Vive Pro kit is $1199 and a full Index kit is $999. It could use another price drop.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Cost reduced meaning a product based on the Vive Pro but made in a less expensive way, not just a price cut.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Cost reduced meaning a product based on the Vive Pro but made in a less expensive way, not just a price cut.

Ahh, gotcha :hmmyes:.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Sorting by VR games in steam I was surprised to see I have Half-Life: Alyx in my library. Turns out that Valve don't revoke your "you work with us/our partners so you get all our games" package when you stop working with them, unlike Paradox :jerkbag:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 11, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Could anyone help me test something, in the Oculus app?

Can you try to download, for example, the app 'Cut-Off: Interactive VR Documentary' ? I'm finding the download always stops with an error on the 2.7gb downloaded point. I thought it was a caching problem of my ISP or an issue in the closest CDN from Facebook, but I tried a VPN, from two different locations, and the same happened!

No one bothered to test, lol. It was two clicks people.

In any case, it doesn't matter, I got someone in another place to test. It was interesting as it also failed for him... with him being in Australia, pretty far away from my Europe location. So yeah, there are a series of apps that are borked in all the Facebook servers, lol. GG

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I have now downloaded Saints and Sinners 3 loving times at 40 gb a pop, and reinstalled the Oculus software for another 7gb. It still tells me it can't install due to my antivirus which is a damned lie since I only have the built in win10 stuff and it's all disabled. This sucks.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's now a third-party battery accessory for the Quest that is specifically designed to mount on the back and act as a counterweight. It's called the VR Power and made by Rebuff Reality.

mine is arriving today :toot:

Still waiting for my Quest software to update to 13 though!!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Darkrenown posted:

I have now downloaded Saints and Sinners 3 loving times at 40 gb a pop, and reinstalled the Oculus software for another 7gb. It still tells me it can't install due to my antivirus which is a damned lie since I only have the built in win10 stuff and it's all disabled. This sucks.

Close the Oculus client. Open task manager and close the three Oculus background processes, then re open and try again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHDMVX-oOw0

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Close the Oculus client. Open task manager and close the three Oculus background processes, then re open and try again.

Thanks, but I already requested a refund. As it turns out the steam version is $15 cheaper too, so I'll just get it there.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Thanks, but I already requested a refund. As it turns out the steam version is $15 cheaper too, so I'll just get it there.

Yikes, for me it's $6 more expensive in the Oculus store (which is already inexcusable).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

It's expensive, but the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap with some 3D printed adapters is a significant comfort and audio quality improvement. ....

I agree, but also you can easily securely connect the DAS to a Quest with $2.50 worth of Velcro and 3 zip ties.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I got a pair of pretty good Seinhauser over-ear noise cancelling headphones for my Quest and they work nicely at about the same price but can also plug into whatever else.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Yikes, for me it's $6 more expensive in the Oculus store (which is already inexcusable).

It's 20% off on GMG (you may need to use code FEB22, but it was auto-applied for me).

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Humble Bundle has a good VR bundle for those that don't have these:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/vr-bundle

Superhot, Moss, Space Pirate Trainer, Gorn, and Budget Cuts for $15 is quite a deal for someone with none of those.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

This would drop the day after I bought Moss for 20 bucks.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I already have superhot VR so....

0GAVI-G4DR0-F70PP

Belan
May 7, 2007

Twibbit posted:

I already have superhot VR so....

0GAVI-G4DR0-F70PP

Thanks!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Chin Strap posted:

Superhot, Moss, Space Pirate Trainer, Gorn, and Budget Cuts for $15 is quite a deal for someone with none of those.
Oh hey, it's me, I'm the guy who hasn't yet bought Superhot VR or Moss or any of those other games. Thanks!

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

drat..I bought most of those shortly after my Index came in. Except for Moss, had that for PSVR.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I've put the Moss key for sale in the Trading thread but of course, Twibbit had to come in and be generous letting me with a bad image, lol. Oh well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

This is a good deal, haven't played Moss yet but the rest definitely all have 5-10 hours of gameplay and are VR classics

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Moss owns. I actually like it in spite of myself. I got into VR thinking "I'm gonna use shooters with realistic gun handling to get TACTICAL REFLEXES" and "I'm gonna get SO FIT doing thrill of the fight punchmans" but dang if helping that exquisitely animated little mouse get through the captivating storybook environments doesn't just put a big dopey grin on my face.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Moss is definitely one of the most charming and beautiful games I've ever played.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Moss owns. I actually like it in spite of myself. I got into VR thinking "I'm gonna use shooters with realistic gun handling to get TACTICAL REFLEXES" and "I'm gonna get SO FIT doing thrill of the fight punchmans" but dang if helping that exquisitely animated little mouse get through the captivating storybook environments doesn't just put a big dopey grin on my face.

drake meme:
VR
no | shooting people
yes | petting mice

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Enos Cabell posted:

Moss is definitely one of the most charming and beautiful games I've ever played.

I really enjoyed the vibe of sitting in that giant cathedral and turning the pages in that book as the reader. Neverending story vibes.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Chin Strap posted:

Might as well snatch this up for when I get the Quest. Thanks.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Keltar posted:

Might as well snatch this up for when I get the Quest. Thanks.

These will only work with link though. These are steam keys so you don't get quest native cross buy. Just FYI

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Some dude has made a VR mod for GTFO, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVFSf13iO8A will give it a crack if I can get it set up and report back

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So this is pretty drat cool; Tundra Labs have created a new dedicated SteamVR tracking HDK in an effort to help make smaller, (and more importantly; cheaper) SteamVR devices. For comparison it costs $130USD vs a previous one made by Triad that sells for $350USD.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
gently caress yeah double post. Can't get that GTFO mod working for some reason though, perhaps someone more competent can report back about how they got it working.

Shoefish fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 12, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RPS has done the typical 'best VR games' list
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/02/12/best-vr-games/

it served at least to remind me that games like Fantastic Contraption exists. I always liked The Incredible Machine type of games, I should check it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Deathlove posted:

mine is arriving today :toot:

Still waiting for my Quest software to update to 13 though!!

Quick review - it's good, distributes weight better than the slab of battery I had before. Didn't use it enough to really get to the "as a battery pack"part, though, especially using Link, since that keeps the helmet charged. Don't know about the price/benefit analysis as a result, but a good Anker is almost definitely cheaper if you're ok with how it feels on your head.

Speaking of Link, the shudder is fixed in v13, yayyyyyyyy

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Are you talking about Windows Defender or are you talking about Windows ransomware protection? The latter tends to have the most annoying issues and least clear error messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
If anyone gets Moss as a spare, it's the only one I don't have and I'll trade.